Another question for mormons.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
so you no longer met the biblical qualifications for a pastor otherwise you would of remained the pastor.
I, for one, belong to the Calvary Chapel Movement where pastors are restored after having fallen.

I know that as long as I continue to take my meds, I qualify as a pastor.

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The qualifications of the bishop/elder/pastor are found in 1 Timothy 3:1–7: “Here is a trustworthy saying: Whoever aspires to be an overseer desires a noble task. Now the overseer is to be above reproach, faithful to his wife, temperate, self-controlled, respectable, hospitable, able to teach, not given to drunkenness, not violent but gentle, not quarrelsome, not a lover of money. He must manage his own family well and see that his children obey him, and he must do so in a manner worthy of full respect. (If anyone does not know how to manage his own family, how can he take care of God’s church?) He must not be a recent convert, or he may become conceited and fall under the same judgment as the devil. He must also have a good reputation with outsiders, so that he will not fall into disgrace and into the devil’s trap.” Paul also instructs Timothy on the things that exemplify the teaching of a good minister. Beginning in 1 Timothy 4:11 and continuing through 6:2, Paul gives Timothy twelve things that he should “command and teach.”

The apostle Paul repeats the qualifications of a bishop/elder/pastor in his letter to Titus. “An elder must be blameless, faithful to his wife, a man whose children believe and are not open to the charge of being wild and disobedient. Since an overseer manages God’s household, he must be blameless—not overbearing, not quick-tempered, not given to drunkenness, not violent, not pursuing dishonest gain. Rather, he must be hospitable, one who loves what is good, who is self-controlled, upright, holy and disciplined. He must hold firmly to the trustworthy message as it has been taught, so that he can encourage others by sound doctrine and refute those who oppose it” (Titus 1:6–9).got?

hope this helps !!!

DNB

Dec 8, 2019
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
There is no need for another thread on Mormonism. And for those who are not familiar with the Book of Mormon, there is a lot in that book which Christians cannot really find questionable (Note: I am definitely not a Mormon, but we need to be fair and just in all things).

Here is an example from Mormon 7:5-9:
5 Know ye that ye must come to the a knowledge of your fathers, and repent of all your sins and iniquities, and believe in Jesus Christ, that he is the Son of God, and that he was slain by the Jews, and by the power of the Father he hath risen again, whereby he hath gained the victory over the grave; and also in him is the sting of death swallowed up.

6 And he bringeth to pass the resurrection of the dead, whereby man must be raised to stand before his judgment-seat.

7 And he hath brought to pass the redemption of the world, whereby he that is found guiltless before him at the judgment day hath it given unto him to dwell in the presence of God in his kingdom, to sing ceaseless praises with the choirs above, unto the Father, and unto the Son, and unto the Holy Ghost, which are one God, in a state of happiness which hath no end.

8 Therefore repent, and be baptized in the name of Jesus, and lay hold upon the gospel of Christ, which shall be set before you, not only in this record but also in the record which shall come unto the Gentiles from the Jews, which record shall come from the Gentiles unto you.
Yes, but understand also in Buddhism, Hinduism, Plato, Aristotle, Islam and Ghandi, are undeniable truths about life and God's purpose (irrespective of how it is defined or ascribed).
God has endowed all men with his image, and thus wisdom. Therefore, through natural revelation, all men have the capacity to comprehend and deduce truthful facts about life. This is why all men are accountable before God when the Gospel is put before them - one cannot use incomprehension as a defense.

So, no surprise that many false theologies have an allurement of soundness and reasonability, at least on the surface.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The qualifications of the bishop/elder/pastor are found in 1 Timothy 3:1–7: “Here is a trustworthy saying: Whoever aspires to be an overseer desires a noble task. Now the overseer is to be above reproach, faithful to his wife, temperate, self-controlled, respectable, hospitable, able to teach, not given to drunkenness, not violent but gentle, not quarrelsome, not a lover of money. He must manage his own family well and see that his children obey him, and he must do so in a manner worthy of full respect. (If anyone does not know how to manage his own family, how can he take care of God’s church?) He must not be a recent convert, or he may become conceited and fall under the same judgment as the devil. He must also have a good reputation with outsiders, so that he will not fall into disgrace and into the devil’s trap.” Paul also instructs Timothy on the things that exemplify the teaching of a good minister. Beginning in 1 Timothy 4:11 and continuing through 6:2, Paul gives Timothy twelve things that he should “command and teach.”

The apostle Paul repeats the qualifications of a bishop/elder/pastor in his letter to Titus. “An elder must be blameless, faithful to his wife, a man whose children believe and are not open to the charge of being wild and disobedient. Since an overseer manages God’s household, he must be blameless—not overbearing, not quick-tempered, not given to drunkenness, not violent, not pursuing dishonest gain. Rather, he must be hospitable, one who loves what is good, who is self-controlled, upright, holy and disciplined. He must hold firmly to the trustworthy message as it has been taught, so that he can encourage others by sound doctrine and refute those who oppose it” (Titus 1:6–9).got?

hope this helps !!!
Are you saying that you think that I do not bear these attributes?

Because I think that I do.

If you are saying that I don't, I believe that the burden of proof is on you.

I have had one wife and have been faithfully married to her for the past 14 years.

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My sister has been diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia since the 70's so I'm very familiar with the mental illness on a personal level with all the disorders that go along with the sickness. There is a range of problems with thinking (cognition), behavior and emotions. Signs and symptoms can vary but usually involve delusions, hallucinations, disorganized speech, talking and mumbling to self, reflect an impaired ability to function, agitation , abrupt and excessive movements, personal hygiene, withdrawal, hearing voices, people following them, impersonators and so on and so forth.

When she is medicated can somewhat function normally but otherwise its a life long battle.

hope this helps !!!

Reactions: Jane_Doe22

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My sister has been diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia since the 70's so I'm very familiar with the mental illness on a personal level with all the disorders that go along with the sickness. There is a range of problems with thinking (cognition), behavior and emotions. Signs and symptoms can vary but usually involve delusions, hallucinations, disorganized speech, talking and mumbling to self, reflect an impaired ability to function, agitation , abrupt and excessive movements, personal hygiene, withdrawal, hearing voices, people following them, impersonators and so on and so forth.

When she is medicated can somewhat function normally but otherwise its a life long battle.

hope this helps !!!
I am currently diagnosed schizoaffective and have been diagnosed bipolar on three different occasions. I am highly functional. And my prognosis is better than that of schizophrenia or paranoid schizophrenia. As a matter of fact, the Lord has greatly healed me; for I was once diagnosed with both of those worse prognoses.

Also, with the help of meds, I rarely hear voices any more. Other than that, I have none of the symptoms that you have described. I may in fact be misdiagnosed currently and therefore may truly have the diagnosis of bipolar.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Somehow with all of my mental problems, it seems that no one is able to prove me wrong in any of what I preach here at ChristianityBoards.

I have always found that I have the last word in every situation.

Perhaps this is because of what is written in Luke 21:15 and Acts of the Apostles 6:10 (the principle found therein).

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
nevertheless its a disqualification for an elder .
What is?

Let me remind you that you have just posted the scripture on what qualifies an elder; and mental illness is not listed as a disqualifying factor.

As a matter of fact, I may be entirely misdiagnosed (and may not have any mental illness at all); and therefore 2 Timothy 1:7 is very likely true in my life; while the accusation by some that I am mentally ill may be qualified by certain verses such as Hosea 9:7 and 2 Corinthians 5:13....for Paul was accused of being mentally ill according to the latter of those verses (as well as in Acts of the Apostles 26:24-28). There, the things that said to Festus that Paul was mentally ill almost persuaded King Agrippa to become a believer.

Remember Rhoda in Acts of the Apostles 12:13-15?

Last edited:

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Why then are you preaching what is in their book?
What did you find objectionable in the portion which was quoted? That is straight Gospel truth. What I'm saying is that the Book of Mormon cannot be condemned outright. And unless you can find any error in that passage, you need to acknowledge that also.

There are other passage which could also be quoted, which run parallel to Bible truth and Gospel truth. Here is one which speaks of Christ as the Lamb of God (1 Nephi 10:4-11)

4 Yea, even six hundred years from the time that my father left Jerusalem,
a prophet would the Lord God raise up among the Jews—even a Messiah, or, in other words, a Savior of the world.
5 And he also spake concerning the prophets, how great a number had testified of these things, concerning this Messiah, of whom he had spoken, or this Redeemer of the world.
6 Wherefore, all mankind were in a lost and in a fallen state, and ever would be saved they should rely on this Redeemer.
7 And he spake also concerning a prophet who should come before the Messiah, to prepare the way of the Lord—
8 Yea, even he should go forth and cry in the wilderness: Prepare ye the way of the Lord, and make his paths straight; for there standeth one among you whom ye know not; and he is mightier than I, whose shoe’s latchet I am not worthy to unloose. And much spake my father concerning this thing.
9 And my father said he should baptize in Bethabara, beyond Jordan; and he also said he should baptize with water; even that he should baptize the Messiah with water.
10 And after he had baptized the Messiah with water, he should behold and bear record that he had baptized the Lamb of God, who should take away the sins of the world.
11 And it came to pass after my father had spoken these words he spake unto my brethren concerning the gospel which should be preached among the Jews, and also concerning the dwindling of the Jews in unbelief. And after they had slain the Messiah, who should come, and after he had been slain he should rise from the dead, and should make himself manifest, by the Holy Ghost, unto the Gentiles.

While Mormons equate this book with the Bible, Christians in general do not. And Mormon doctrine does deviate from Bible Christianity.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What did you find objectionable in the portion which was quoted? That is straight Gospel truth. What I'm saying is that the Book of Mormon cannot be condemned outright. And unless you can find any error in that passage, you need to acknowledge that also.

There are other passage which could also be quoted, which run parallel to Bible truth and Gospel truth. Here is one which speaks of Christ as the Lamb of God (1 Nephi 10:4-11)

4 Yea, even six hundred years from the time that my father left Jerusalem,
a prophet would the Lord God raise up among the Jews—even a Messiah, or, in other words, a Savior of the world.
5 And he also spake concerning the prophets, how great a number had testified of these things, concerning this Messiah, of whom he had spoken, or this Redeemer of the world.
6 Wherefore, all mankind were in a lost and in a fallen state, and ever would be saved they should rely on this Redeemer.
7 And he spake also concerning a prophet who should come before the Messiah, to prepare the way of the Lord—
8 Yea, even he should go forth and cry in the wilderness: Prepare ye the way of the Lord, and make his paths straight; for there standeth one among you whom ye know not; and he is mightier than I, whose shoe’s latchet I am not worthy to unloose. And much spake my father concerning this thing.
9 And my father said he should baptize in Bethabara, beyond Jordan; andiv he also said he should baptize with water; even that he should baptize the Messiah with water.
10 And after he had baptized the Messiah with water, he should behold and bear record that he had baptized the Lamb of God, who should take away the sins of the world.
11 And it came to pass after my father had spoken these words he spake unto my brethren concerning the gospel which should be preached among the Jews, and also concerning the dwindling of the Jews in unbelief. And after they had slain the Messiah, who should come, and after he had been slain he should rise from the dead, and should make himself manifest, by the Holy Ghost, unto the Gentiles.

While Mormons equate this book with the Bible, Christians in general do not. And Mormon doctrine does deviate from Bible Christianity.
To give credibilty to the book of mormon because certain portions of it cater to gospel truth is a mormon thing to do. The reality is, the portions that do show forth the truth most plainly are only there to draw you in so that you will believe in other parts of the bom that are preaching lies.

Here, taste and see that this milk is good...you just don't know that if you drink every drop, there is arsenic at the bottom of the glass and you are being set up for being poisoned.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
To give credibilty to the book of mormon because certain portions of it cater to gospel truth is a mormon thing to do. The reality is, the portions that do show forth the truth most plainly are only there to draw you in so that you will believe in other parts of the bom that are preaching lies.

Here, taste and see that this milk is good...you just don't know that if you drink every drop, there is arsenic at the bottom of the glass and you are being set up for being poisoned.
How bad can a Bible translation be before we may say clearly that it deviates from God's Truth? For me it raises an old question, which I have thought was resolved in myself about the Word of God versus the unread writings of men. Do you understand my meaning?

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How bad can a Bible translation be before we may say clearly that it deviates from God's Truth? For me it raises an old question, which I have thought was resolved in myself about the Word of God versus the unread writings of men. Do you understand my meaning?
I most certainly believe that the kjv is inspired and inerrant...so no, I do not get your meaning.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
kjv only cult...............
Nope...my position is that the kjv is superior to all other versions.

Other translations can give insight into the meaning of what it says in the kjv...

But where there is discrepancy, the kjv has the truest rendering of the original Greek and Hebrew (and Aramaic) manuscripts.

It is the mormon cult that denies this, in saying that the scriptures are "correct only insofar as they are correctly translated".

To which, I would say, that the kjv is correctly translated.

For God is both Omnipotent and sovereign and loving.

And the common people heard Jesus gladly while the educated scribes and Pharisees rejected Him.

Therefore I am not going to rely on an educated Greek or Hebrew scholar to tell me what is the meaning of the unadulterated word of God....because that unadulterated word is found in the kjv through and through...

God in His love and sovereignty and Omnipotence could not have it any other way.

Because it is clear that many of the modern translations are watered down, taking out words, phrases, sentences, and even entire passages from the things that the Holy Spirit, inspired to be written to us so that we might receive the full message of what He wanted to say.