Any caregivers to family here?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Debp

Jul 5, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm taking care of my 93 year old disabled mom. She can't really do much of anything after a hospital stay for a fractured back last October. She's also very hard of hearing, even with hearing aids. Now she also cannot read the captions on TV anymore.

Is anyone else a caregiver to a family member?

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm taking care of my 93 year old disabled mom. She can't really do much of anything after a hospital stay for a fractured back last October. She's also very hard of hearing, even with hearing aids. Now she also cannot read the captions on TV anymore.

Hi Debp,
@VictoryinJesus is also taking care of her mother. God bless you sister, not an easy task but these days, it is quite honorable to take care of our parents. So many just throw them in Nursing Homes to be forgotten. ❤️

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Debp what was she like when she was younger? It's understandable what happens as we age, my mom is 61, her hearing and her thinking sometimes are slightly off compared to how quick she was just several years ago. Would love to hear. There was a time I use to take care of mentally ill patients, quite unique people, hoping to pass drug test when the tests get here, may go back to a new job, but with nursing home maybe again. Oh there was sweet lady named norma she told me about how she use to dance, and always was nervous playing the piano even though she went to art school to do it.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My mother passed away a couple years back. My father is doing OK and does more to help me than I him. I have mental illness so I'm usually the one that needs caring for.

But my sister is also disabled and more so than me. So I've been driving her to the store since she broke a toe a while back. And I take her with me to visit family which makes her happy. She lives in an assisted living home and likes time away from the place. It is a pleasant experience to help her and I really feel the Lord being happy when I do it.

Jun 23, 2023
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I've been looking after my little bro who's got both an intellectual disability and cerebral palsy. Big kudos to all the families out there holding it down for their disabled loved ones. You've got my utmost respect! It's a real journey, but the love and care we give make all the difference.

Debp

Jul 5, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Debp what was she like when she was younger? It's understandable what happens as we age, my mom is 61, her hearing and her thinking sometimes are slightly off compared to how quick she was just several years ago. Would love to hear.
She has been homebound for many years. However, after the sixteen night hospital stay last October, she became totally homebound. She was severely stressed at the hospital.
(Before I could take her to doctors in taxis now and then.)

Before the homebound problem, she was fine.... mentally and physically. Also, always a pleasant person.

After the hospital stay last year she totally declined, especially physically. Because she can't hear me or others very well, I guess that didn't help her mentally. I think she is ok mentally....she just cannot hear.

Also, I have to keep after her all day to drink water. Before the hospital, she would always ask for glasses of water throughout the day.

ButterflyJones

Feb 19, 2023
USA
youtube.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

(Hugs) to you both.

I cared for my mom when she suffered incurable non-Hodgkins Lymphoma. This after we cared for dad who died of liver cancer a little over a year before.

Gottservant

Oct 19, 2022
Greensborough
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I've been cared for.

It's really taxing on the caregiver, but ultimately God makes their character strong.

If you live in Australia on the disability pension, don't forget that your caregiver can get cheap movie tickets!

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
She has been homebound for many years. However, after the sixteen night hospital stay last October, she became totally homebound. She was severely stressed at the hospital.
(Before I could take her to doctors in taxis now and then.)

Before the homebound problem, she was fine.... mentally and physically. Also, always a pleasant person.

After the hospital stay last year she totally declined, especially physically. Because she can't hear me or others very well, I guess that didn't help her mentally. I think she is ok mentally....she just cannot hear.

Also, I have to keep after her all day to drink water. Before the hospital, she would always ask for glasses of water throughout the day.

Debp,

There was a person whom I use to talk to named David at the nursing home. He was a fine elderly old man, and used a wheelchair to get around. He would travel around and always be cracking jokes, but he had a serious side to him too. There was one week I went and seen him, and another two weeks passed he was gone. I asked the elderly desk attendant about him. What she told me is he had a fall, and ever since then he did not feel right, and told her he doesn't think he would make it past his birthday, and he passed away. I remember him talking to me one day about God, and Satan, and how they were always friends. I just loved him for who he was, he was thrown in to the care, because his family was busy with other things. It's amazing how short life can be, so may God give you the ability to continue to do what you are doing, and the strength to get through when that day arrives. All the best (tears well up), just considering that at one point in time, I would talk to my own mother, about how I probably would never cry when she passes away, though thinking about it now I will miss her very much; but be thankful she doesn't have to be here anymore.

Love to you,
Matthew

Reactions: Lambano and Debp

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I have been a carer for the last 20 years. First for my husband who passed away 9 years ago from a neurological disorder, and then for my mother who left me only a few months ago after caring for her for 11 years. She was 98. She helped me care for my husband and when he died, she too needed care….and it was my responsibility to look after the one who gave me life and cared for me when I needed it throughout the difficult times in my life.

You have to sacrifice a good part of yourself to be a carer, but the life of a Christian is often one of sacrifice…this is only one expression, I know there are many more.

All the best to the carers out there. Few know how difficult it is…..

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Hello, does your mom live with you now? My mom is 92. She still lives in her home. We (my sisters and I) have tried to keep her in your home for as long as possible. Realizing the moment she leaves her home whether to a nursing home or to live with one of us, there is no turning back. That is a really hard decision. (For us) …When is the right time to remove mom from the comfort of her home and all she has been familiar with.

We take turns every day going to take care of her. I can relate to the not hearing and captions on the tv. My mom stopped watching television completely. Mostly because of her mind. And the hearing had its part. She forgets what was said just a few minutes ago, so it is hard for her to stay with a movie or show. Her head all over the place. She started showing no interest or attention towards television. This has been recent. Over this past year. When she used to love television. It used to be I could take her out shopping or we would go out to eat. It changes, to where now she can barely walk from her swing out back to return inside her home. She has progressed to pull ups and she has a bedside potty she uses at night. Right now she depends on us to handle everything from cleaning and yard to food and medications, financial, hygiene, even the watering her plants in and outside because even though she once loved (her greatest passion) taking care of all her plants ..this is become a chore for her to handle just a few in pots beside her swing. Her loosing interest just like with her lifetime movies.

The reason why I asked if your mother lives with you is because we are not quite there yet, but see it quickly coming where our mom won’t be able to stay alone anymore. I always say that I can’t imagine the stress and amount of care someone has who lives with an elderly parent every day. At this point I do have down times to step away, because it is depressing watching someone deteriorate so quickly. We have cameras to where even when we are not there, we can see everything she is doing. It definitely works on you mentally…the falls, the loosing of things, watching this getting worse to where it is obvious. It has been a blessing to have that time to get away from caregiver, for a little while. Do you have help with your mom? Do you have this time to get away for a little while? Or are you your mothers sole caregiver and living with her becomes so overwhelming because you never have a moment to escape and come back refreshed?

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A friend of mine from church quit her job to take care of her mother as her health and mental acumen deteriorated. Then when her own mom died, a childhood friend asked her to move in with HER 90-year-old mother. Our church and the elderly lady's church help out with transportation, occasional meals, well-needed mental health breaks...

Debp

Jul 5, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do you have help with your mom? Do you have this time to get away for a little while? Or are you your mothers sole caregiver
Mom and I share a one bedroom apartment. (Rents are astronomical here.)

I am her sole caregiver. We have no family in Los Angeles. (I have some much younger cousins scattered around other States, but I don't know them. I know a married senior citizen cousin in Ohio.)

For entertainment I watch TV and use my tablet. About once a week or so, I try to walk with a cane over to the grocery store.

A nice teen guy in my building drives me to the store about every two weeks. He won't accept any money for doing that. He brings my heavy bags up to my apartment. Sometimes a lady neighbor gets me a few items now and then.

Right now I put on a Western. Mom can at least see the scenery and horses, but can't hear the plot.

I put the portable commode by the sofa for her in the daytime and move it to the bedroom by her bed at night. She spends all day on the sofa, mainly reclining.

Reactions: VictoryinJesus

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Mom and I share a one bedroom apartment. (Rents are astronomical here.)

I am her sole caregiver. We have no family in Los Angeles. (I have some much younger cousins scattered around other States, but I don't know them. I know a married senior citizen cousin in Ohio.)

For entertainment I watch TV and use my tablet. About once a week or so, I try to walk with a cane over to the grocery store.

A nice teen guy in my building drives me to the store about every two weeks. He won't accept any money for doing that. He brings my heavy bags up to my apartment. Sometimes a lady neighbor gets me a few items now and then.

Right now I put on a Western. Mom can at least see the scenery and horses, but can't hear the plot.

I put the portable commode by the sofa for her in the daytime and move it to the bedroom by her bed at night. She spends all day on the sofa, mainly reclining.
I don’t know how you do it alone. Seriously. You must be very strong and definitely compassionate and long-suffering and have tremendous patience. You may think shyly “no, i do what I have to do. I don’t see that I have a choice.” No. You don’t have to. (Imo). Like I said, I don’t have to carry the full care of my mom alone and also I do have days I’m off and can do other things besides being a caregiver. And even this gets overwhelming where I sometimes feel like I’m drowning. I can’t imagine the portable pot and what you go through. By my experiencing changing it from just nightly uses. I’m just saying, that is rough.

In the beginning I did do it alone. Both my sisters worked and were not involved. My husband kept saying “ask them to help you.” I wouldn’t listen. And then I got Covid. I couldn’t go around mom so my sisters were forced to do it for the ten days. After that I never had to do it alone. After experiencing it for ten days they said from then on we would all take turns. And it has been that way ever since. Point is I kind of get what you go through daily. Although you have it all on you. It is obvious you love your mom…but don’t beat yourself up too hard if there are days you wish you could just walk away.

It is kind how you think about her having at least the scenery of westerns to watch even if she can’t hear or get the plot. My mom likes cartoons. Like the pink panther, Charlie Brown and porky pig. Things like that. Even simple true to life animal movies. Animal adventures. We have discussed getting her a smart television (hers is an old tube style) but she won’t watch movies. but she does like cartoons which are bright and have a comedic nature. We do get her animal rescue magazines. (This has helped). I found one that is full of animal stories of how they overcome homelessness and found loving homes. She likes those. Some of the animals will be more than dogs and cats, but also pigs, horses and more(some strange). I don’t know if any of those suggestions help you. People like different things. Cartoons for mom take her back to her childhood, and they have short plots. She loves the funny paper section.

The teenage guy sounds very observant and considerate to notice you could use some help. And your neighbor. I’m sorry you have to carry so much alone. To me the worse part…I don’t know if you experience this …but as my mother has become elderly and all this is happening to her. I can’t talk to her about it. I can’t talk to her or confide in her of what I’m experiencing with her care. The one person I used to be able to tell things, I can’t anymore because it won’t register. Does that make sense. It is weird too that we do things and I’m present in the moment but she is not, forgetting it all later. That is strange to me. And hard to accept. It is like having a conversation with someone to work through things together and then later they say “we never talked about that. I don’t remember that.”

Last edited:
Reactions: Debp

Debp

Jul 5, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don’t know how you do it alone. Seriously. You must be very strong and definitely compassionate and long-suffering and have tremendous patience. You may think shyly “no, i do what I have to do. I don’t see that I have a choice.” No. You don’t have to. (Imo). Like I said, I don’t have to carry the full care of my mom alone and also I do have days I’m off and can do other things besides being a caregiver. And even this gets overwhelming where I sometimes feel like I’m drowning. I can’t imagine the portable pot and what you go through. By my experiencing changing it from just nightly uses. I’m just saying, that is rough.

In the beginning I did do it alone. Both my sisters worked and were not involved. My husband kept saying “ask them to help you.” I wouldn’t listen. And then I got Covid. I couldn’t go around mom so my sisters were forced to do it for the ten days. After that I never had to do it alone. After experiencing it for ten days they said from then on we would all take turns. And it has been that way ever since. Point is I kind of get what you go through daily. Although you have it all on you. It is obvious you love your mom…but don’t beat yourself up too hard if there are days you wish you could just walk away.

It is kind how you think about her having at least the scenery of westerns to watch even if she can’t hear or get the plot. My mom likes cartoons. Like the pink panther, Charlie Brown and porky pig. Things like that. Even simple true to life animal movies. Animal adventures. We have discussed getting her a smart television (hers is an old tube style) but she won’t watch movies. but she does like cartoons which are bright and have a comedic nature. We do get her animal rescue magazines. (This has helped). I found one that is full of animal stories of how they overcome homelessness and found loving homes. She likes those. Some of the animals will be more than dogs and cats, but also pigs, horses and more(some strange). I don’t know if any of those suggestions help you. People like different things. Cartoons for mom take her back to her childhood, and they have short plots. She loves the funny paper section.

The teenage guy sounds very observant and considerate to notice you could use some help. And your neighbor. I’m sorry you have to carry so much alone. To me the worse part…I don’t know if you experience this …but as my mother has become elderly and all this is happening to her. I can’t talk to her about it. I can’t talk to her or confide in her of what I’m experiencing with her care. The one person I used to be able to tell things, I can’t anymore because it won’t register. Does that make sense. It is weird too that we do things and I’m present in the moment but she is not, forgetting it all later. That is strange to me. And hard to accept. It is like having a conversation with someone to work through things together and then later they say “we never talked about that. I don’t remember that.”
I pray often for the Lord to keep me going. My concern is that if I die first, what would happen to my mom. She can't do anything really.... can't pay bills, can't get food in, can't take the rent check down to the office, etc.

She gets Meals on Wheels a few times a week. But she can't even hear them knock on the door. They have a social worker who could help her get into a nursing home I guess....if I die first. Of course, she might not live too long if I die first.

Dumping the portable pot isn't too bad as I dump the urine regularly. Also, when she goes poo, I dump it down the toilet right away.

Sometimes I show her a few YouTube videos....animals mainly. She also likes to bowl on the tablet with me. And she enjoys seeing photos on the tablet of one younger family we know....they used to be our neighbors and they kept in touch for over twenty years.

Debp

Jul 5, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The past five or so days mom hasn't been eating as well. Also, it's always an effort to get her to drink.

Last night she fell as I was taking her into her bed. She got her walker caught on a rug and I couldn't hold her up from behind. So I had to call the firemen to pick her up from the floor. They are always very nice....came in only ten minutes.

Before my neighbor would pick her up (twice)....but he and his wife and baby moved the other day.