Are you allowed to say words like the word 'idiot', etc

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

thelord's_pearl

May 1, 2021
O`nowhere you have to know
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
as a Christian? I and another member don't know the answer to this so I thought I'd give my thoughts first. The word 'idiot' to me is a bad name calling so it can be considered under 'filthy words', is that so? like the bible also says not to say 'You fool!' it is directed and degrading but if you say, 'you're being foolish', it should be ok, right? Thanks a lot for the responses

Last edited:

Riverwalker

Apr 20, 2021
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The bible says not to call a BROTHER a fool.
However, as hard as it is for me to contain myself. We should always be kind, as much as possible.

There are times where a person needs a swift kick in the butt and word like that might grab their attention more than a calm and kind comment, but be lead on that. Remmeber Jesus.....sometimes he was very direct.

To your question, yes telling some they are doing something foolish is not judgment it is correction
Calling someone a fool is Judgment

thelord's_pearl

May 1, 2021
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The bible says not to call a BROTHER a fool.
However, as hard as it is for me to contain myself. We should always be kind, as much as possible.

There are times where a person needs a swift kick in the butt and word like that might grab their attention more than a calm and kind comment, but be lead on that. Remmeber Jesus.....sometimes he was very direct.

To your question, yes telling some they are doing something foolish is not judgment it is correction
Calling someone a fool is Judgment
Yes that's what I thought. Calling someone an idiot is judgmental but saying that they don't know much what they're talking about is not judgmental. Calling someone a fool is judgment, but saying someone is being foolish is a correction, non-judgmental and I learn from it that as we walk in God, we should always be kind, not say a judgment and perhaps the person who did you wrong will change their attitude, that they have a reason for being mean but if you're kind then they might soften up

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
as a Christian? April Rose and I don't know the answer to this so I thought I'd give my thoughts first. The word 'idiot' to me is a bad name calling so it can be considered under 'filthy words', is that so? like the bible also says not to say 'You fool!' it is directed and degrading but if you say, 'you're being foolish', it should be ok, right? Thanks a lot for the responses
Name calling of any sort as well as the common displays of narcissism reveal immaturity.....and immaturity by its very nature has short range vision not only about the self but about the world around them.

Michael1985

Sep 30, 2020
British Columbia
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
as a Christian? April Rose and I don't know the answer to this so I thought I'd give my thoughts first. The word 'idiot' to me is a bad name calling so it can be considered under 'filthy words', is that so? like the bible also says not to say 'You fool!' it is directed and degrading but if you say, 'you're being foolish', it should be ok, right? Thanks a lot for the responses

I take no issue with any of that.

Reactions: April_Rose

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't think it's wise to call people idiots. I know someone that does that and they act like the real idiot. So it's more of a projection they do.

tsr

Feb 2, 2021
04/20/47
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The word idiot has been defined - Idiots. —Those so defective that the mental development never exceeds that or a normal child of about two years'

Based on this definition caution to the wind I would not use this word to anyone as its demeaning and offensive.

Reactions: amadeus

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@thelord's_pearl @April_Rose

Name calling of any sort as well as the common displays of narcissism reveal immaturity.....and immaturity by its very nature has short range vision not only about the self but about the world around them.
Control is needful but not so easy applied as we might like to do on our own...

"And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body, and setteth on fire the course of nature; and it is set on fire of hell.
For every kind of beasts, and of birds, and of serpents, and of things in the sea, is tamed, and hath been tamed of mankind:
But the tongue can no man tame; it is an unruly evil, full of deadly poison.
Therewith bless we God, even the Father; and therewith curse we men, which are made after the similitude of God.
Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be." James 3:6-10

No man can tame his tongue. We in our best efforts are often double tongued... but God can tame and control, can He not? Has He not provided the means?

"And suddenly there came a sound from heaven as of a rushing mighty wind, and it filled all the house where they were sitting.
And there appeared unto them cloven tongues like as of fire, and it sat upon each of them.
And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance." Acts 2:2-4

Were those "other tongues" only for them in that day 2000 years ago? I think not!

"For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call." Acts 2:39

Reactions: Azim

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
Take note of this scripture:

Matthew 5:22 "But I tell you that anyone who is angry with a brother or sister will be subject to judgment. Again, anyone who says to a brother or sister, ‘Raca,’ is answerable to the court. And anyone who says, ‘You fool!’ will be in danger of the fire of hell."

A question you should ask before calling someone an idiot is will it do any good, the answer in most cases is no. If you are angry that someone failed to do something because they really are an idiot calling them out isn't going to change that fact, it will just put them down. But if you have a child intent on doing something dangerous and stupid perhaps it would help.

Riverwalker

Apr 20, 2021
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I learn from it that as we walk in God, we should always be kind, not say a judgment and perhaps the person who did you wrong will change their attitude, that they have a reason for being mean but if you're kind then they might soften up

Exactly
Romans 12:
17 Repay no one evil for evil. Have regard for good things in the sight of all men. 18 If it is possible, as much as depends on you, live peaceably with all men. 19 Beloved, do not avenge yourselves, but rather give place to wrath; for it is written, “Vengeance is Mine, I will repay,” says the Lord. 20 Therefore

“If your enemy is hungry, feed him;
If he is thirsty, give him a drink;
For in so doing you will heap coals of fire on his head.”

21 Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

April_Rose

Sep 15, 2020
Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Take note of this scripture:

Matthew 5:22 "But I tell you that anyone who is angry with a brother or sister will be subject to judgment. Again, anyone who says to a brother or sister, ‘Raca,’ is answerable to the court. And anyone who says, ‘You fool!’ will be in danger of the fire of hell."

A question you should ask before calling someone an idiot is will it do any good, the answer in most cases is no. If you are angry that someone failed to do something because they really are an idiot calling them out isn't going to change that fact, it will just put them down. But if you have a child intent on doing something dangerous and stupid perhaps it would help.

I'm pretty sure if you're saved you're not going to Hell though,.. and I really wish I wasn't called out in this topic. It makes me feel really embarrassed. I only called somebody an idiot because they were being mean to the OP and that's acting like an idiot in my book. Maybe they're not an idiot themselves, but they were behaving like one.

Reactions: dev553344

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
I'm pretty sure if you're saved you're not going to Hell though,.. and I really wish I wasn't called out in this topic. It makes me feel really embarrassed. I only called somebody an idiot because they were being mean to the OP and that's acting like an idiot in my book. Maybe they're not an idiot themselves, but they were behaving like one.
Oh, I was unaware it was calling you out. There is probably a better choice of words than 'idiot'.

April_Rose

Sep 15, 2020
Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh, I was unaware it was calling you out. There is probably a better choice of words than 'idiot'.

It's okay but I thought that it was better than using cuss words. Examples?? Cause isn't it acting like an idiot if you start acting mean to people for no reason? I can think of two MAJOR idiots in the white house right now. :rolleyes:

thelord's_pearl

May 1, 2021
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Oh sorry April_Rose, I didn't mean to call you out, I just meant we had a conversation about this, I revised my first post. Sorry :( I guess you can say some people act like idiots and it wouldn't matter, 'idiot' just means 'a person who is stupid', but not say as if their whole person is like an idiot. but God did rebuke in the bible so after a certain limit or depending on the cirumstance we're allowed to rebuke too, that doesn't mean acting like a wolf all the time.

April_Rose

Sep 15, 2020
Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh sorry April_Rose, I didn't mean to call you out, I just meant we had a conversation about this, I revised my first post. Sorry :( I guess you can say some people act like idiots and it wouldn't matter, 'idiot' just means 'a person who is stupid', but not say as if their whole person is like an idiot. but God did rebuke in the bible so after a certain limit or depending on the cirumstance we're allowed to rebuke too, that doesn't mean acting like a wolf all the time.

I understand and it's alright thank you for revising it like that I appreciate it. *Hugs* :)

thelord's_pearl

May 1, 2021
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
It's okay but I thought that it was better than using cuss words. Examples?? Cause isn't it acting like an idiot if you start acting mean to people for no reason? I can think of two MAJOR idiots in the white house right now. :rolleyes:
If you're talking about you as a major idiot, you're not, you're way better than the evil or mean words that were said to me which were inappropriate and not what I said in my post :)

April_Rose

Sep 15, 2020
Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you're talking about you as a major idiot, you're not, you're way better than the evil or mean words that were said to me which were inappropriate and not what I said in my post :)

Lol I know that I was talking about Sleepy Joe and Cruella De'vil. :D

Desire Of All Nations

Jun 23, 2021
Troy
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I personally try to avoid using the words "idiot" or "moron". Calling someone a fool on the other hand, is completely biblical when it's appropriate to do so. Proverbs uses the word regularly to describe someone who is extremely lacking in sound judgement or wisdom. David himself used the word to describe people who don't believe that God exists and live a lifestyle that accompanies such a belief(see Psa. 14:1). When Christ warned against calling someone a fool(or as it's rendered in some bible translations "Raca"), it was within a different context of calling them an airhead or worthless.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I personally try to avoid using the words "idiot" or "moron". Calling someone a fool on the other hand, is completely biblical when it's appropriate to do so. Proverbs uses the word regularly to describe someone who is extremely lacking in sound judgement or wisdom. David himself used the word to describe people who don't believe that God exists and live a lifestyle that accompanies such a belief(see Psa. 14:1). When Christ warned against calling someone a fool(or as it's rendered in some bible translations "Raca"), it was within a different context of calling them an airhead or worthless.
the carnal human mind elevates itself by putting another down. Calling another 'fool' presupposes that the caller is not a fool...hmmmm, the accuracy of that is questionable!