Arguments

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How is that working for you? Does it save you?
Acts 2:
42 And they continued steadfastly in the apostles’ doctrine and fellowship, in the breaking of bread, and in prayers. 43 Then fear came upon every soul, and many wonders and signs were done through the apostles. 44 Now all who believed were together, and had all things in common, 45 and sold their possessions and goods, and divided[p] them among all, as anyone had need.
46 So continuing daily with one accord in the temple, and breaking bread from house to house, they ate their food with gladness and simplicity of heart, 47 praising God and having favor with all the people. And the Lord added [q]to the church daily those who were being saved.

Alot of people think the church is getting together for an hour or 2 on Sunday morning, Sunday night and maybe wed night. Sing a few songs. Read some bible verses. Maybe discuss those verses, otherwise have a 20 minute sermonette, Then pray, and say hellow to people you never see except for there and tell them you will see them next week.

That is not the church, it never was the church.

I remember my last few years at home before I left for military service. I was told learn as much of the word as you can, Being a former military officer. The pastor loved to use military examples. He said learning the word was like getting all your ammunition together. If you do not have the ammunition, when the enemy attacks you have no way to defend yourself with the truth..

The only problem was. It was only partially true.. The church and the body is more than that. As we learned from Peter in Acts 2. The church met together. It says the continued steadfastly in my version. The word means to be devoted to, to stay close to, To remain faithful to a task, with consistency. This is much more than a few hours on Sunday and an hour on wed night. Later it says they met in the temple daily to break bread. They sold things and became a community of people who did everything together.

It says they continued in the apostles doctrine - This is where the word comes in, They studied together, the contemplated and learned what the doctrine was. What God had written to us.. and they did it together.

It says the continued in prayer. Corporate prayer was continual. Not on some wed night prayer meeting. The church I go to now gets together often in mens groups. womens groups. People meet up in social groups. and they always are praying. I have never in my life seen God work so much in the lives of people and actualy miraculous answer to prayer than I have seen here. And is not what God said he would do? (when 2 or three are gathered)

It says they continued to break bread, Here it says daily. They ate together. They broke bread. We see later in acts they were taking this serious. but at the same time, People were taking advantage. As some were getting drunk with the wine, and eating so much that when the less fortunate people would get there there was no food left.. This is how the early church did communion. Not some Mass like you see in the roman churches, or even the traditional way of doing it. They ate, Like jesus did in the room that night. while they were eating their meal. they broke bread, and took the cup.. and they did it in remembrance of Christ.

the last thing they did is to fellowship with each other. They hung out. They discipled each other. they did ministry together. They confessed their sins to each other.. God never met for lone wolf christians. He meant for us to be a body, a group a community,

You may be able to withstand sin you are not tempted to much anyway by just the word thou shalt not. But that alone will not help you or anyone else with sins you are bound to be tempted to. I have seen many a believer fall hard because they know they should not be doing something, But they are to week for this particular temptation, And they need someone to come along side them and struggle with them. Not to Judge them You better stop or else. You need more faith blah blah blah. But to fight the battle alongside.

The church needs to get back to its roots. and its people need to get back to the church.

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How important is it for you or for me to win an argument?
Oh my gosh, it's the most important thing in the world! If I don't win this argument, not only will people disrespect me for the rest of my life and walk all over me, the world will come to an end, souls will be lost, and people will go to Hell! And that's not the worst of it...

dramacow1-full.gif

Reactions: amadeus

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Absolute zero gain in arguing. People find that if you win an argument you win! Sometimes that is not true at all if you don’t love your neighbor.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh my gosh, it's the most important thing in the world! If I don't win this argument, not only will people disrespect me for the rest of my life and walk all over me, the world will come to an end, souls will be lost, and people will go to Hell! And that's not the worst of it...

dramacow1-full.gif

You know when it comes down to the argument, my personal suggestion is that the message has been missed. :p

Its the common tradition and probably will forever be. If you arent good with God you die and go straight to hell.

Why did God love the world again?

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Absolute zero gain in arguing. People find that if you win an argument you win! Sometimes that is not true at all if you don’t love your neighbor.
For carnal man winning may be meaningful. For a man of God, it should only be important to be always on God's side. Jesus always won or so it should be, I believe, to any of us able to see and understand where he was in his discussions. Why did Jesus sometimes remain silent when he certainly had the words to shut the mouths of his adversaries?

Reactions: MatthewG

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
For carnal man winning may be meaningful. For a man of God, it should only be important to be always on God's side. Jesus always won or so it should be, I believe, to any of us able to see and understand where he was in his discussions. Why did Jesus sometimes remain silent when he certainly had the words to shut the mouths of his adversaries?
Good questions. Its good to know what one believes in their heart in looking to God in faith. Jesus warned those who were of the nation of Israel, about many things. There was a time or two you see Jesus staying silent, and sometimes that is needed. To let others ultimately choose for themselves, and let God work on those who let him work on them they will be worked on, in the spirit.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
My ego tells me it's important. My spirit tells me, let it go. My spirit and my ego do battle regularly. My ultimate objective is to take/ make every thought captive by the Spirit of God, allowing his Kingdom to reign in my heart.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My ego tells me it's important. My spirit tells me, let it go. My spirit and my ego do battle regularly. My ultimate objective is to take/ make every thought captive by the Spirit of God, allowing his Kingdom to reign in my heart.
Indeed, the old man versus the new man! If we do not oppose the new man, he will win, finally and completely killing the old man. So, I believe.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It shouldn’t be important but the ones we are trying to win against should be more important than our argument. But there is still something inside of me that wants to be right. Who doesn’t want to be right? Does anyone want to be wrong? Being wrong is humiliating. It blows my mind that Jesus Christ was humiliated yet he was telling the truth. i always say if I was him at the cross…I would have been threatening “do you not know who I am? Y’all are making a huge mistake!” I would have been doing all I could to justify myself in the argument when they kept goading him “are your Him?” “If you are the great physician who heals others as we have seen you do, then heal yourself!” To me that He didn’t do anything the way I would have behaved in His place…makes Him unique and not like me.

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
www.CheeseburgersWithGod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
how does a person know when to remain silent even though others are making false statements?

There is a fine mechanism, if it--or He is within us, that can be our voice. But it is a "still small voice" easily drowned out by permission from God to reveal rather our own self, for which we are judged.

Therefore take heed that the light which is in you is not darkness.

Reactions: Lambano and amadeus

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My ego too!

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It shouldn’t be important but the ones we are trying to win against should be more important than our argument. But there is still something inside of me that wants to be right. Who doesn’t want to be right? Does anyone want to be wrong? Being wrong is humiliating.
I have wanted to be wrong a time or two against someone who seemed to know little or nothing right at all. I wanted to be wrong to see a real smile on the face of that adversary when he really won his case. Alas, sometimes things do not work like that.

We remember when Jesus [John 11:35] wept at the tomb of Lazarus... Was it only for Lazarus that he wept or was it also that so many of the people around him could not or would not see... the Truth which he was, the Truth which he spoke?
It blows my mind that Jesus Christ was humiliated yet he was telling the truth. i always say if I was him at the cross…I would have been threatening “do you not know who I am? Y’all are making a huge mistake!” I would have been doing all I could to justify myself in the argument when they kept goading him “are your Him?” “If you are the great physician who heals others as we have seen you do, then heal yourself!” To me that He didn’t do anything the way I would have behaved in His place…makes Him unique and not like me.
Yes, Jesus was also unlike me, and probably unlike most of us, but He wants us to be like him. Is this an impossibility for God? It is if we do not open the door to our hearts for him. Keeping our door closed to Him is our free will. Remember what Jesus said regarding himself:

Mt 26:39... nevertheless not as I will, but as thou wilt.

Reactions: quietthinker

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is a fine mechanism, if it--or He is within us, that can be our voice. But it is a "still small voice" easily drowned out by permission from God to reveal rather our own self, for which we are judged.

Therefore take heed that the light which is in you is not darkness.
Luke 11:35 there take heed that the light which is in you is not darkness. Makes me think of Matthew 10:27 What I tell you in darkness, that speak you in light: and what you hear in the ear, that preach you upon the housetops.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, it is not perhaps like the people Jesus healed and then admonished to be silent about it. Some of them rather went out and broadcast it to the world. Why did He tell them to remain silent? Why did they not do what He asked of them?

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
www.CheeseburgersWithGod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, it is not perhaps like the people Jesus healed and then admonished to be silent about it. Some of them rather went out and broadcast it to the world. Why did He tell them to remain silent? Why did they not do what He asked of them?

The "why" here is rooted in the same reason that Paul counselled that women were to be silent in church, when coupled with his teaching of the church being the bride of Christ (as if all women). Notice also the progression and connectivity in the following passages to the Corinthians, all for the benefit and instruction of the church:
  1. 1 Corinthians 12:28
    And God has appointed these in the church: first apostles, second prophets, third teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, administrations, varieties of tongues.
    In Context | Full Chapter | Other Translations
  2. 1 Corinthians 14:4
    He who speaks in a tongue edifies himself, but he who prophesies edifies the church.
  3. 1 Corinthians 14:5
    I wish you all spoke with tongues, but even more that you prophesied; for he who prophesies is greater than he who speaks with tongues, unless indeed he interprets, that the church may receive edification.
  4. 1 Corinthians 14:12
    Even so you, since you are zealous for spiritual gifts, let it be for the edification of the church that you seek to excel.
  5. 1 Corinthians 14:19
    yet in the church I would rather speak five words with my understanding, that I may teach others also, than ten thousand words in a tongue.
  6. 1 Corinthians 14:23
    Therefore if the whole church comes together in one place, and all speak with tongues, and there come in those who are uninformed or unbelievers, will they not say that you are out of your mind?
  7. 1 Corinthians 14:26
    How is it then, brethren? Whenever you come together, each of you has a psalm, has a teaching, has a tongue, has a revelation, has an interpretation. Let all things be done for edification.
  8. 1 Corinthians 14:28
    But if there is no interpreter, let him keep silent in church, and let him speak to himself and to God.
  9. 1 Corinthians 14:33
    For God is not the author of confusion but of peace, as in all the churches of the saints.
  10. 1 Corinthians 14:34
    Let your women keep silent in the churches, for they are not permitted to speak; but they are to be submissive, as the law also says.

Last edited:

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1 Corinthians 14:19
yet in the church I would rather speak five words with my understanding, that I may teach others also, than ten thousand words in a tongue.
‘Yet in the church I would rather speak five words with my understanding, that I may teach others how also, than ten thousand words in a tongue.’
Never noticed that before 1 Corinthians 4:15 For though you have ten thousand instructors in Christ, yet have you not many fathers: for in Christ Jesus I have begotten you through the gospel.

Also notice his saying “yet in the church I would rather speak five words with my understanding, that I may teach others how also …” with 1 Corinthians 4:16 Wherefore I beseech you…
1)be
2)you
3)followers
4)of
5)Me.
‘I would rather speak five words with my understanding. Rather than ten thousand words in a tongue.’

RedFan

May 15, 2022
New Hampshire
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't think I have ever "won" an argument (had someone acknowledge changing his/her mind) on a forum like this. And I argue for a living.

• Love
Reactions: VictoryinJesus

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The "why" here is rooted in the same reason that Paul counselled that women were to be silent in church, when coupled with his teaching of the church being the bride of Christ (as if all women). Notice also the progression and connectivity in the following passages to the Corinthians, all for the benefit and instruction of the church:
  1. 1 Corinthians 12:28
    And God has appointed these in the church: first apostles, second prophets, third teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, administrations, varieties of tongues.
  2. 1 Corinthians 14:4
    He who speaks in a tongue edifies himself, but he who prophesies edifies the church.
  3. 1 Corinthians 14:5
    I wish you all spoke with tongues, but even more that you prophesied; for he who prophesies is greater than he who speaks with tongues, unless indeed he interprets, that the church may receive edification.
  4. 1 Corinthians 14:12
    Even so you, since you are zealous for spiritual gifts, let it be for the edification of the church that you seek to excel.
  5. 1 Corinthians 14:19
  6. 1 Corinthians 14:23
    Therefore if the whole church comes together in one place, and all speak with tongues, and there come in those who are uninformed or unbelievers, will they not say that you are out of your mind?
  7. 1 Corinthians 14:26
    How is it then, brethren? Whenever you come together, each of you has a psalm, has a teaching, has a tongue, has a revelation, has an interpretation. Let all things be done for edification.
  8. 1 Corinthians 14:28
    But if there is no interpreter, let him keep silent in church, and let him speak to himself and to God.
  9. 1 Corinthians 14:33
    For God is not the author of confusion but of peace, as in all the churches of the saints.
  10. 1 Corinthians 14:34
    Let your women keep silent in the churches, for they are not permitted to speak; but they are to be submissive, as the law also says.
Thank you for the clarification. I also see the connection to "Let your women keep silent". Who are the women? Are they not those in the Bride consisting of both biological men and women, while the Bridegroom is Jesus? Those working the role of the Bridegroom, such as active preachers, pastors or other ministers would or could consist of biological men and women.