Assurance of salvation.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
Try this one: smileys - Bing images

Simply right click on image desired and click on "copy image". Then paste the image here and post it.
ok tks, those all seem so…overproduced? im really just looking for the AFF “lol” emoji tbh, but some of those might come in handy too, ty :)

oh and also huge? lol

Reactions: amadeus

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Jesus was quite popular at the beginning of his ministry, but later on where were all of the thousands who ate the bread and the fishes?

"And when they had found him on the other side of the sea, they said unto him, Rabbi, when camest thou hither?
Jesus answered them and said, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Ye seek me, not because ye saw the miracles, but because ye did eat of the loaves, and were filled.
Labour not for the meat which perisheth, but for that meat which endureth unto everlasting life, which the Son of man shall give unto you: for him hath God the Father sealed." John 6:25-27

@amadeus
27.Labour for food, not that which perisheth. He shows to what object our desires ought to be directed, namely, to eternal life; but because, in proportion as our understandings are gross, we are always devoted to earthly things, for this reason he corrects that disease which is natural to us, before he points out what we ought to do.

The simple doctrine would have been, “Labour to have the incorruptible food;” but, knowing that the senses of men are held bound by earthly cares, he first enjoins them to be loosed and freed from those cords, that they may rise to heaven. Not that he forbids his followers to labor that they may procure daily food; but he shows that the heavenly life ought to be preferred to this earthly life, because the godly have no other reason for living here than that, being sojourners in the world, they may travel rapidly towards their heavenly country.

Next, we ought to see what is the present question; for, since the power of Christ is debased by those who are devoted to the belly and to earthly things, he argues what we ought to seek in him, and why we ought to seek it. He employs metaphors adapted to the circumstances in which his sermon was delivered. If food had not been mentioned, he would have said, without a figure, “You ought to lay aside anxiety about the world, and strive to obtain the heavenly life.”

But as those men were running to their fodder like cattle, without looking to anything better, (135) Christ presents his sermon in a metaphorical dress, and gives the name of food to everything that belongs to newness of life. We know that our souls are fed by the doctrine of the gospel, when it is efficacious in us by the power of the Spirit; and, therefore, as faith is the life of the soul, all that nourishes and promotes faith is compared to food
Which endureth to eternal life.

This kind of food he calls incorruptible, and says that it endureth to eternal life, in order to inform us that our souls are not fed for a day, but are nourished in the expectation of a blessed immortality; because the Lord
commences the work of our salvation, that he may perform it till the day of Christ, (Phi_1:6.)

For this reason we must receive the gifts of the Spirit, that they may be earnests and pledges of eternal life. For, though the reprobate, after having tasted this food, frequently reject it, so that it is not permanent in them, yet believing souls feel that enduring power, when they are made partakers of the power of the Holy Spirit in his gifts, which is not of short duration, but, on the contrary, never fails.

It is a frivolous exercise of ingenuity to infer, as some do, from the word labor or work, that we merit eternal life by our works; for Christ metaphorically exhorts men, as we have said, to apply their minds earnestly to meditation on the heavenly life, instead of cleaving to the world, as they are wont to do;

and Christ himself removes every doubt, when he declares that it is he who giveth the food; for what we obtain by his gift no man procures by his own industry. There is undoubtedly some appearance of contradiction in these words; but we may easily reconcile these two statements, that the spiritual food of the soul is the free gift of Christ, and that we must strive with all the affections of our heart to become partakers of so great a blessing.

For him hath God the Father sealed. He confirms the preceding statement, by saying that he was appointed to us for that purpose by the Father. The ancient writers have misinterpreted and tortured this passage, by maintaining that Christ is said to be sealed, because he is the stamp and lively image of the Father. For he does not here enter into abstruse discussions about his eternal essence, but explains what he has been commissioned and enjoined to do, what is his office in relation to us, and what we ought to seek and expect from him. By an appropriate metaphor, he alludes to an ancient custom; for they sealed with signets what they intended to sanction by their authority. Thus Christ — that it may not appear as if he claimed anything of himself, or by private authority (136) — declares that this office was enjoined on him by the Father, and that this decree of the Father was manifested, as if a seal had been engraven on him.

It may be summed up thus: As it is not every person who has the ability or the right (137) to feed souls with incorruptible food, Christ appears in public, and, while he promises that he will be the Author of so great a blessing, he likewise adds that he is approved by God, and that he has been sent to men with this mark, which is, as it were, God’s seal or signet (138)

Hence it follows that the desire of those who shall present their souls to Christ, to be fed by him, will not be disappointed. Let us know, therefore, that life is exhibited to us in Christ, in order that each of us may aspire to it, not at random, but with certainty of success.

We are, at the same time, taught that all who bestow this praise on any other than Christ are guilty of falsehood before God.

Hence it is evident that the Papists, in every part of their doctrine, are altogether liars; for as often as they invent any means of salvation in the room of Christ, so often do they — by erasing, as it were, the impression which has been made — spoil and deface, with wicked presumption and base treachery, this seal of God, which alone is authentic. That we may not fall into so dreadful a condemnation, let us learn to keep pure and entire for Christ all that the Father has given to him.

(135) “Sans regarder a rien de meilleur.”
(136) “A fin qu’il ne semble que Christ vueille de soy-mesme et d’une authorite privee s’attribuer quelque chose.”
(137) “Que ce n’est pas une chose facile et commune a chacun.”
(138) “Qui est comme le seau ou cachet de Dieu.”

Blessings
J.

Last edited:

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Me, neither. I think I might have formulated the term, myself. It's just that I was so keenly aware of it growing up, as I did, in a Southern Baptist home. The first time unconditional eternal security was explained to me, I thought it was absolutely ridiculous. Now I think it's just one more cup of the wine of the daughters of Babylon. It's unfortunate that people are offended by that, but you gotta go with what you know, right?
I think I see, Seriously though. I am not sure how a person who became bankrupt in spirit like the tax collector did. because he truly repented and had true saving faith was as you say sincere?

did they really believe they were sinners and worthy of eternal damnation or did they think they agree they sinned, But they should pay for their sins by some other means (works)

Did they really believe they could not save themselves, or did they think they could help is some way. Or did they believe they really are not bad people. But should receive Christ anyway what can it hurt to say a sinners prayer?

did they really believe or trust that God would do what he promised? Or is their faith wishy washy, and think, well God will do this as long as I do my part and live up to some standard?

You see, I believe myself. and believe the tax collector believed or had faith or repented and believed the parts bolded. Not the other parts..

Absolutely not! (although I'm sure he was)

agree..

I don't remember ever saying salvation could be earned. It is the gift of God, not by works, lest any man should boast.

I'll grant you that a gift that must be held onto (as some would call "maintained"), or at least picked up again when it's dropped is quite a paradox,

but the Bible is full of those, and defaulting to one side of an argument is never the answer. The Bible is like the seamless garment Christ wore. It cannot be divided or selectively accepted, like a buffet. I'm just speaking in general here. I accuse no one.

I'm becoming more and more of a Lutheran/Arminianist hybrid when it comes to assurance of salvation. The Arminian position generally does not sufficiently emphasize God's sustaining grace for perseverance. The Bible speaks entirely too much of the anxious longsuffering of God and His pursuit of man's heart for it to be as neglected as it is in the Arminian churches. But, then, much is being neglected in all churches.
Its not just a paradox. its a fact.

If I must hold onto it or maintain it. I in effect am trying to earn it.

If I can drop it. would actually be like God dropping me. That would make us more powerful that God would it not?

God said he would never leave nor forsake us.. He did not say, unless you do (or don;t do) this. He said never.

Sadly, when I see eternal. I read it to be eternal.

When I see never I take it to be never

as for lutheran or arminian. I will be honest. I do not know what lutherans actually believe. I know my sister in law passed away a few years ago and we had the female priest give what appeared to be the catholic eucharist. and did not teach or speak of the gospel of hope. which worries me..

As for aminian. I am not sure I ever truly met a true arminian. I know calvinists call even me an arminian.. And I am no where near one..

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@amadeus
27.Labour for food, not that which perisheth. He shows to what object our desires ought to be directed, namely, to eternal life; but because, in proportion as our understandings are gross, we are always devoted to earthly things, for this reason he corrects that disease which is natural to us, before he points out what we ought to do.

The simple doctrine would have been, “Labour to have the incorruptible food;” but, knowing that the senses of men are held bound by earthly cares, he first enjoins them to be loosed and freed from those cords, that they may rise to heaven. Not that he forbids his followers to labor that they may procure daily food; but he shows that the heavenly life ought to be preferred to this earthly life, because the godly have no other reason for living here than that, being sojourners in the world, they may travel rapidly towards their heavenly country.

Next, we ought to see what is the present question; for, since the power of Christ is debased by those who are devoted to the belly and to earthly things, he argues what we ought to seek in him, and why we ought to seek it. He employs metaphors adapted to the circumstances in which his sermon was delivered. If food had not been mentioned, he would have said, without a figure, “You ought to lay aside anxiety about the world, and strive to obtain the heavenly life.”

But as those men were running to their fodder like cattle, without looking to anything better, (135) Christ presents his sermon in a metaphorical dress, and gives the name of food to everything that belongs to newness of life. We know that our souls are fed by the doctrine of the gospel, when it is efficacious in us by the power of the Spirit; and, therefore, as faith is the life of the soul, all that nourishes and promotes faith is compared to food
Which endureth to eternal life.

This kind of food he calls incorruptible, and says that it endureth to eternal life, in order to inform us that our souls are not fed for a day, but are nourished in the expectation of a blessed immortality; because the Lord
commences the work of our salvation, that he may perform it till the day of Christ, (Phi_1:6.)

For this reason we must receive the gifts of the Spirit, that they may be earnests and pledges of eternal life. For, though the reprobate, after having tasted this food, frequently reject it, so that it is not permanent in them, yet believing souls feel that enduring power, when they are made partakers of the power of the Holy Spirit in his gifts, which is not of short duration, but, on the contrary, never fails.

It is a frivolous exercise of ingenuity to infer, as some do, from the word labor or work, that we merit eternal life by our works; for Christ metaphorically exhorts men, as we have said, to apply their minds earnestly to meditation on the heavenly life, instead of cleaving to the world, as they are wont to do;

and Christ himself removes every doubt, when he declares that it is he who giveth the food; for what we obtain by his gift no man procures by his own industry. There is undoubtedly some appearance of contradiction in these words; but we may easily reconcile these two statements, that the spiritual food of the soul is the free gift of Christ, and that we must strive with all the affections of our heart to become partakers of so great a blessing.

For him hath God the Father sealed. He confirms the preceding statement, by saying that he was appointed to us for that purpose by the Father. The ancient writers have misinterpreted and tortured this passage, by maintaining that Christ is said to be sealed, because he is the stamp and lively image of the Father. For he does not here enter into abstruse discussions about his eternal essence, but explains what he has been commissioned and enjoined to do, what is his office in relation to us, and what we ought to seek and expect from him. By an appropriate metaphor, he alludes to an ancient custom; for they sealed with signets what they intended to sanction by their authority. Thus Christ — that it may not appear as if he claimed anything of himself, or by private authority (136) — declares that this office was enjoined on him by the Father, and that this decree of the Father was manifested, as if a seal had been engraven on him.

It may be summed up thus: As it is not every person who has the ability or the right (137) to feed souls with incorruptible food, Christ appears in public, and, while he promises that he will be the Author of so great a blessing, he likewise adds that he is approved by God, and that he has been sent to men with this mark, which is, as it were, God’s seal or signet (138)

Hence it follows that the desire of those who shall present their souls to Christ, to be fed by him, will not be disappointed. Let us know, therefore, that life is exhibited to us in Christ, in order that each of us may aspire to it, not at random, but with certainty of success.

We are, at the same time, taught that all who bestow this praise on any other than Christ are guilty of falsehood before God.

Hence it is evident that the Papists, in every part of their doctrine, are altogether liars; for as often as they invent any means of salvation in the room of Christ, so often do they — by erasing, as it were, the impression which has been made — spoil and deface, with wicked presumption and base treachery, this seal of God, which alone is authentic. That we may not fall into so dreadful a condemnation, let us learn to keep pure and entire for Christ all that the Father has given to him.

(135) “Sans regarder a rien de meilleur.”
(136) “A fin qu’il ne semble que Christ vueille de soy-mesme et d’une authorite privee s’attribuer quelque chose.”
(137) “Que ce n’est pas une chose facile et commune a chacun.”
(138) “Qui est comme le seau ou cachet de Dieu.”

Blessings
J.
You had good things to say here, but it is apparent to me that you were not speaking to everyone. Do you believe that is that how Jesus spoke to the masses of people when he walked planet Earth where many people were illiterate? The Pharisees were not illiterate, but they for the most part could not understand what Jesus was saying to or about them. Sometimes I am guilty of complicating things with my words... so I must be careful about this. Help us dear Lord!

"What is it?" Manna!

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Did click the "copy image" choice? There are a whole lot of choices. I have not tried them all. I only know what worked for me.

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
You had good things to say here, but it is apparent to me that you were not speaking to everyone. Do you believe that is that how Jesus spoke to the masses of people when he walked planet Earth where many people were illiterate? The Pharisees were not illiterate, but they for the most part could not understand what Jesus was saying to or about them. Sometimes I am guilty of complicating things with my words... so I must be careful about this. Help us dear Lord!

"What is it?" Manna!

I noticed many are comfortable in the gospels, to remain there, where sinners also were comfortable with our Lord Christ Jesus, after the resurrection of our Lord things changed..now the wrath of God abides upon the unregenerate and they are already judged according to the good news
A transition from the Gospels to the Pauline epistles is Imperative.
In fact, the whole Bible from Genesis to Revelation must be read.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I noticed many are comfortable in the gospels, to remain there, where sinners also were comfortable with our Lord Christ Jesus, after the resurrection of our Lord things changed..now the wrath of God abides upon the unregenerate and they are already judged according to the good news
A transition from the Gospels to the Pauline epistles is Imperative.
In fact, the whole Bible from Genesis to Revelation must be read.
Yes, eat the whole loaf. Some people cut off the crust and eat only the soft white parts within... What may they be missing?

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The feud between insistent (both) Calvinists and Arminians has raged for centuries and if the LORD doesn't come soon (which I highly doubt) it will still have a good run ahead of it. The great preachers of the Great Awakening seemed to manage to keep this pot on a low boil for the furtherance of the Gospel and, earlier, Zwingli is said to have burst into tears when, upon finally meeting Luther, the preacher of Wittenburg at first refused to shake his hand over a dispute over transubstantiation and the nature of the eucharist.

Theologians will be theologians, I say. I've known of a few good ones. A missionary friend of mine was assigned to be a delegate at an Adventist worldwide church symposium on the subject of women's ordination and he said he was amazed at how much he learned there, but nothing having to do with WO. He said he learned that theologians commonly allow their interest in a certain discipline to cloud their ability to arrive at truth--a very unfortunate occupational hazard, indeed.

I read the entire first chapter of Hoeksema's book to which you linked. Frankly, I found nothing I haven't read before. I respect a man's work, if only for the sake of industry itself, but I'm afraid the issue of free Sovereign grace was settled for me over 30 years ago. Actually, I haven't had anything close to a doctrinal crisis for over 20 years. As soon as the Interweb was up and running, I dove right in headfirst. I find Hoeksema's case to be very self-contradictory, but not uniquely so. He's a bit assertive and repetitive, creating a sense of desperation. I've heard of a lot of transitions from Calvinism to Arminianism, but not so much the vice-versa.

We can talk about it if you like, but I don't want to be pushy at all. I've always found the effort to yield little if any good fruit but, admittedly, I'm usually discussing it with folks who've already made up their minds. That's the trouble with religious folks. They seem to greatly eschew the possibility of appearing foolish about believing a falsehood for so long, even if only to themselves. Participating in this forum has forced me to rethink a lot of things. I think I will try to drum up something about the problems with predetermination

...to the point that I am not so cock sure re my salvation brother.
You can't go there, man. You can't understand the intricacies of the atonement, Joe. And even if you feel that that is the criteria for true redemption, the everlasting arms are still underneath you. I haven't by searching found out God, but I know Him well enough that I can authoritatively say He is not going to let you slip through the cracks for being unsure about doctrine while seeking Him. People are converted by responding positively from the heart to God's offer of rescue from the adversary's oppression. As long as you're exercising your inalienable, God-given right to liberty of conscience on His side of the conflict between Christ and Satan, you can't go wrong. He knoweth our frame, that we are but dust. Earthen vessels.

I strongly suggest that you read this:

(Some of it will not apply to your case, but I think there are many statements that will encourage you greatly.)
(This chapter, especially, has virtually nothing to do with the distinct teachings of Seventh-day Adventism.)

Steps to Christ - What To Do With Doubt

The LORD preserve you,
Ol' Barn

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
The feud between insistent (both) Calvinists and Arminians has raged for centuries and if the LORD doesn't come soon (which I highly doubt) it will still have a good run ahead of it. The great preachers of the Great Awakening seemed to manage to keep this pot on a low boil for the furtherance of the Gospel and, earlier, Zwingli is said to have burst into tears when, upon finally meeting Luther, the preacher of Wittenburg at first refused to shake his hand over a dispute over transubstantiation and the nature of the eucharist.

Theologians will be theologians, I say. I've known of a few good ones. A missionary friend of mine was assigned to be a delegate at an Adventist worldwide church symposium on the subject of women's ordination and he said he was amazed at how much he learned there, but nothing having to do with WO. He said he learned that theologians commonly allow their interest in a certain discipline to cloud their ability to arrive at truth--a very unfortunate occupational hazard, indeed.

I read the entire first chapter of Hoeksema's book to which you linked. Frankly, I found nothing I haven't read before. I respect a man's work, if only for the sake of industry itself, but I'm afraid the issue of free Sovereign grace was settled for me over 30 years ago. Actually, I haven't had anything close to a doctrinal crisis for over 20 years. As soon as the Interweb was up and running, I dove right in headfirst. I find Hoeksema's case to be very self-contradictory, but not uniquely so. He's a bit assertive and repetitive, creating a sense of desperation. I've heard of a lot of transitions from Calvinism to Arminianism, but not so much the vice-versa.

We can talk about it if you like, but I don't want to be pushy at all. I've always found the effort to yield little if any good fruit but, admittedly, I'm usually discussing it with folks who've already made up their minds. That's the trouble with religious folks. They seem to greatly eschew the possibility of appearing foolish about believing a falsehood for so long, even if only to themselves. Participating in this forum has forced me to rethink a lot of things. I think I will try to drum up something about the problems with predetermination

You can't go there, man. You can't understand the intricacies of the atonement, Joe. And even if you feel that that is the criteria for true redemption, the everlasting arms are still underneath you. I haven't by searching found out God, but I know Him well enough that I can authoritatively say He is not going to let you slip through the cracks for being unsure about doctrine while seeking Him. People are converted by responding positively from the heart to God's offer of rescue from the adversary's oppression. As long as you're exercising your inalienable, God-given right to liberty of conscience on His side of the conflict between Christ and Satan, you can't go wrong. He knoweth our frame, that we are but dust. Earthen vessels.

I strongly suggest that you read this:

(Some of it will not apply to your case, but I think there are many statements that will encourage you greatly.)
(This chapter, especially, has virtually nothing to do with the distinct teachings of Seventh-day Adventism.)

Steps to Christ - What To Do With Doubt

The LORD preserve you,
Ol' Barn

Will peruse the site Barn
This is MY inner struggle...to the point that I know not what to believe since there are so many denominations each one claiming they "have" the truth...guess this is why I end up landing here..don't get me wrong, I stand on God's word and promises and Know that I am saved.
The greatest battlefield is in the mind...
Thanks for checking up the link...that was the tip of the iceberg.

Prayer for Spiritual Strength
Eph 3:14 For this cause I bowe my knees vnto the Father of our Lord Iesus Christ,
Eph 3:15 (Of whom is named the whole familie in heauen and in earth)
Eph 3:16 That he might graunt you according to the riches of his glorie, that ye may be strengthened by his Spirit in the inner man,
Eph 3:17 That Christ may dwell in your heartes by faith:
Eph 3:18 That ye, being rooted and grounded in loue, may be able to comprehend with al Saints, what is the breadth, and length, and depth, and height:
Eph 3:19 And to knowe the loue of Christ, which passeth knowledge, that ye may be filled with all fulnesse of God.
Eph 3:20 Vnto him therefore that is able to do exceeding aboundantly aboue all that we aske or thinke, according to the power that worketh in vs,
Eph 3:21 Be prayse in the Church by Christ Iesus, throughout all generations for euer, Amen.
Geneva

Believe it or not, I am still doctrinally sound
Love ya Ol' Barn
J.:)

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Will peruse the site Barn
This is MY inner struggle...to the point that I know not what to believe since there are so many denominations each one claiming they "have" the truth...guess this is why I end up landing here..don't get me wrong, I stand on God's word and promises and Know that I am saved.
The greatest battlefield is in the mind...
Thanks for checking up the link...that was the tip of the iceberg.

Prayer for Spiritual Strength
Eph 3:14 For this cause I bowe my knees vnto the Father of our Lord Iesus Christ,
Eph 3:15 (Of whom is named the whole familie in heauen and in earth)
Eph 3:16 That he might graunt you according to the riches of his glorie, that ye may be strengthened by his Spirit in the inner man,
Eph 3:17 That Christ may dwell in your heartes by faith:
Eph 3:18 That ye, being rooted and grounded in loue, may be able to comprehend with al Saints, what is the breadth, and length, and depth, and height:
Eph 3:19 And to knowe the loue of Christ, which passeth knowledge, that ye may be filled with all fulnesse of God.
Eph 3:20 Vnto him therefore that is able to do exceeding aboundantly aboue all that we aske or thinke, according to the power that worketh in vs,
Eph 3:21 Be prayse in the Church by Christ Iesus, throughout all generations for euer, Amen.
Geneva

Believe it or not, I am still doctrinally sound
Love ya Ol' Barn
J.:)
Sounds to me like you're rooted and grounded in the love of Christ. No worries, then.

Love you, J.
Ol' Barn

Happy Trails

Feb 6, 2022
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Bro. H.H.: “May I ask, exactly what you meant when you said, Many are hindered from enjoying assurance
through unnecessary fears? My reason for asking is because in Philippians 2:12 God bids His people work out
their salvation with fear and trembling.” Editor: “Your question is well taken. We must distinguish sharply
between the fears of godly jealousy and the fears of unbelief: the one is a distrusting of self, the other is a
doubting of God; the former is opposed to pride and carnal confidence, the latter is the enemy of true peace. The
eleven Apostles manifested the fear of godly jealousy when the Saviour announced that one would betray Him,
and each of them enquired, ‘Lord, is it I?’ David gave way to the fear of unbelief when he said, ‘I shall now
perish one day by the hand of Saul’ (1 Sam. 27:1). But I have interrupted your narrative; tell me how Sister
Fearing responded to your giving her Ezra 9:8.”
Bro. H.H.: “Really, it seemed to make little impression. She sighed deeply, and for a while said nothing. Then
she continued, ‘I fear it would be presumption for me to say that I have ever been revived, for a dead soul cannot
be—he must first be quickened;
probably the raising of my spirits under the reading or hearing of the Word is
nothing more than the joy of the stony-ground hearer’ (Matt. 13:20, 21). To which I replied, ‘But one who has
never been quickened has no pantings after God, never seeks Him at all, but seeks to banish Him entirely from
his thoughts.

True, he may go to church, and keep up a form of godliness before others, but there is no diligent
seeking after Him in private, no yearnings for communion with Him.’

“Perhaps, dear Sister, it may be a day of ‘small things’ (Zech. 4:10) with you. Often there is life, where there
is not strength. A child may breathe and cry, yet cannot talk or walk. If God be the object of your affection, if sin
be the cause of your grief, if conformity to Christ be the longing of your heart, then a good work has begun in
you (Phil. 1:6).

If it is indwelling sin which makes you so wretched from day to day, if it be deliverance from its
polluting affects you yearn and pray for, if it be the lustings of the flesh you are struggling against, then it must
be because a principle of holiness has been implanted in your heart. Such godly exercises are not in us by nature;
they are the products of indwelling grace. Despair not, for it is written of Christ, ‘a bruised reed shall He not
break, and smoking flax shall He not quench’ (Matt. 12:20).”

Sister Fearing: “Yes, it is one thing to understand these things intellectually, but it is quite another for God to
apply them in power to the heart:
that is what I long for, and that is what I lack.
My wound is far too deadly for
any man to heal. O that I could be sure as to whether my disrelish of sin arises from mere natural convictions of
conscience that every ungodly person feels more or less, whether they are suggestions from Satan for the purpose

of deceiving me, or whether they actually are the strivings of the new nature against the old. Nothing short of theView attachment 21706
personal, mighty, and saving power of the Holy Spirit realized in my heart, will or can give me genuine relief.”

Pink
Blessings
J.

I have coined a term, "asoteriphobia."

It is "the irrational fear of not being saved."

Salvation is a free gift. People keep trying to figure out a way to earn it. It's time to move on... Hebrews 6:1-3.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
This is MY inner struggle...to the point that I know not what to believe since there are so many denominations each one claiming they "have" the truth...
One does not need to look to denominations (which are a fact of life) for guidance. Take their beliefs and examine them in the light of Scripture. Then find a local church that is totally committed to the Word of God and the NT pattern of the church. Which is easier said than done. Any group that rejects justification by grace through faith in Christ and His finished work of redemption is unbiblical.

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
I have coined a term, "asoteriphobia."

It is "the irrational fear of not being saved."

Salvation is a free gift. People keep trying to figure out a way to earn it. It's time to move on... Hebrews 6:1-3.

Heb 6:4 For as touching those who were once enlightened and tasted of the heavenly gift, and were made partakers of the Holy Ghost,
Heb 6:5 and tasted the good word of God, and the powers of the age to come,
Heb 6:6 and then fell away, it is impossible to renew them again unto repentance; seeing they crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh, and put him to an open shame.

6.To renew them again into repentance, etc. Though this seems hard, yet there is no reason to charge God with cruelty when any one suffers only the punishment of his own defection; nor is this inconsistent with other parts of Scripture, where God’s mercy is offered to sinners as soon as they sigh for it, (Eze_18:27;) for repentance is required, which he never truly feels who has once wholly fallen away from the Gospel; for such are deprived, as they deserve, of God’s Spirit and given up to a reprobate mind, so that being the slaves of the devil they rush headlong into destruction.

Thus it happens that they cease not to add sin to sin, until being wholly hardened they despise God, or like men in despair, express madly their hatred to him. The end of all apostates is, that they are either smitten with stupor, and fear nothing, or curse God their judge, because they cannot escape from him. (99)
In short, the Apostle warns us, that repentance is not at the will of man, but that it is given by God to those only who have not wholly fallen away from the faith. It is a warning very necessary to us, lest by often delaying until tomorrow, we should alienate ourselves more and more from God.

The ungodly indeed deceive themselves by such sayings as this, — that it will be sufficient for them to repent of their wicked life at their last breath. But when they come to die, the dire torments of conscience which they suffer, prove to them that the conversion of man is not an ordinary work. As then the Lord promises pardon to none but to those who repent of their iniquity, it is no wonder that they perish who either through despair or contempt, rush on in their obstinacy into destruction.

But when any one rises up again after falling, we may hence conclude that he had not been guilty of defection, however grievously he may have sinned.
Crucifying again, etc. He also adds this to defend God’s severity against the calumnies of men; for it would be wholly unbecoming, that God by pardoning apostates should expose his own Son to contempt. They are then wholly unworthy to obtain mercy. But the reason why he says, that Christ would thus be crucified again, is, because we die with him for the very purpose of living afterwards a new life; when therefore any return as it were unto death, they have need of another sacrifice, as we shall find in the tenth chapter. Crucifying for themselves means as far as in them lies. For this would be the case, and Christ would be slandered as it were triumphantly, were it allowed men to return to him after having fallen away and forsaken him.
(99) Some render the verb “renew” actively, in this way, — “For it is impossible as to those who have been once enlightened, and have tasted of the heavenly gift, and have been made partakers of holy spirit, and have tasted the good word of God and the powers of the world to come, and have fallen away, to renew them again unto repentance, since they crucify again as to themselves to Son of God, and expose him to open shame.”

This is more consistent with the foregoing, for the Apostle speaks of teaching. It is as though he had said “It is impossible for us as teachers;” as they had no commission. To “renew” may be rendered to “restore.” It is only found here, but is used by the Sept. for a verb which means renewing in the sense of restoring. See Psa_103:5; Lam_5:21. Josephus applies it to the renovation or restoration of the temple. The “crucifying” was what they did by falling away; for they thereby professed that he deserved to be crucified as an imposter, and thus counted his blood, as it is said in Heb_10:29, “unholy,” as the blood of a malefactor; and they thus also exhibited him as an object of public contempt. — Ed.

I am running a race, you may go on
J.

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
One does not need to look to denominations (which are a fact of life) for guidance. Take their beliefs and examine them in the light of Scripture. Then find a local church that is totally committed to the Word of God and the NT pattern of the church. Which is easier said than done. Any group that rejects justification by grace through faith in Christ and His finished work of redemption is unbiblical.

Well said
J.

Reactions: Enoch111