Baptism ?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
and Rom 10:9 is what saves you, not H2O

What about John 3:16, Acts 2:38, John 3:5? Do they speak of salvation?

You want me to point out every scripture with the word "believe" in it?

Nope.....Just want you to answer my very simple questions that is based on what YOU believe: Where does scripture say that “ONLY the blood of Christ saves you”?

Where else would the anointing go?

Isa 40:31 but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.

1Jo 2:20 But you have an anointing from the Holy One, and all of you know the truth.

1Jo 2:27 As for you, the anointing you received from him remains in you, and you do not need anyone to teach you. But as his anointing teaches you about all things and as that anointing is real, not counterfeit—just as it has taught you, remain in him.

I don't see an answer to my question. Would you please clarify?

These passages are self explanatory and is referring to the resurrection of Christ through belief.......

1 Pet 3:21 and this water symbolizes baptism that now saves you also—not the removal of dirt from the body but the pledge of a clear conscience toward God. It saves you by the resurrection of Jesus Christ, 22who has gone into heaven and is at God’s right hand—with angels, authorities and powers in submission to him.

Sooooo......once again I ask you and a simple YES or NO would do:

Do you not believe that Peter was referring to water being used in baptism?

Mary

Heb 13:8

Nov 2, 2016
USA
What about John 3:16, Acts 2:38, John 3:5? Do they speak of salvation?

All three verses are in reference to belief in the death, burial resurrection, and is referring to spiritual water you receive through Holy Spirit baptism.

Nope.....Just want you to answer my very simple questions that is based on what YOU believe: Where does scripture say that “ONLY the blood of Christ saves you”?

Mary, we are saved only through belief in the death, burial and resurrection which is a result of His shed blood on the cross.

I don't see an answer to my question. Would you please clarify?

Do you believe the death, burial and resurrection is spiritual and not of H2O?

Sooooo......once again I ask you and a simple YES or NO would do: Do you not believe that Peter was referring to water being used in baptism?

No, he was not referring to water baptism. He was referring to the death, burial and resurrection which is Holy Spirit baptism, not H2O baptism.

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
All three verses are in reference to belief in the death, burial resurrection, and is referring to spiritual water you receive through Holy Spirit baptism.

Mary, we are saved only through belief in the death, burial and resurrection which is a result of His shed blood on the cross.

Do you believe the death, burial and resurrection is spiritual and not of H2O?

No, he was not referring to water baptism. He was referring to the death, burial and resurrection which is Holy Spirit baptism, not H2O baptism.
Satan and his minions believe in his death, burial and resurrection....Are they saved?

Thank you for FINALLY answering that last question (Do you not believe that Peter was referring to water being used in baptism?). Your opinion on the matter is OPPOSITE of 2,000 years of Christian teaching and OPPOSITE of what any legitimate bible scholar would teach.

Thank you for your time.....Mary

Nov 2, 2016
USA
Satan and his minions believe in his death, burial and resurrection....Are they saved?

Thank you for FINALLY answering that last question (Do you not believe that Peter was referring to water being used in baptism?). Your opinion on the matter is OPPOSITE of 2,000 years of Christian teaching and OPPOSITE of what any legitimate bible scholar would teach.

Thank you for your time.....Mary

Are demons considered righteous and friends of God? :rolleyes:

James 2:23 And the scripture was fulfilled that says, "Abraham believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness," and he was called God's friend.

Time to go back to school Mary.

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Are demons considered righteous and friends of God? :rolleyes:

James 2:23 And the scripture was fulfilled that says, "Abraham believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness," and he was called God's friend.

Time to go back to school Mary.
Of course they are not considered righteous friends of God.....But you never said that the first time now did you???....You only said we are saved only through belief in the death, burial and resurrection which is a result of His shed blood on the cross. I have already proven to you your opinion is NOT backed by scripture.

Enjoy your day at school...sorry to see you go. ;)

Mary

Nov 2, 2016
USA
You only said we are saved only through belief in the death, burial and resurrection which is a result of His shed blood on the cross. I have already proven to you your opinion is NOT backed by scripture.

but we are saved through belief only, works and religion do not save you. you have proved nothing but that you believe H2O saves you which is false. the Gospel hasn't changed in 2000 years. God bless. ;)

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
but we are saved through belief only, works and religion do not save you. you have proved nothing but that you believe H2O saves you which is false. the Gospel hasn't changed in 2000 years. God bless. ;)
Thank you. I guess I will erase James 2:24, Romans 2:6 and the other aforementioned verses from my bible so it will be in conformance to your theory.

As stated before, if we are saved thru belief only then I guess Satan and his minions are going to be saved.

How was school?

Mary

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
...re Satan, I think if you dig deep you will find a difference between 'believing in' someone...and 'believing on' someone...we believe in Christ, and we believe on Him..

I believe in the Queen...seen her with my own eyes years ago.
But I don't believe on her for anything...she does not impact my life at all.

Nov 2, 2016
USA
Thank you. I guess I will erase James 2:24, Romans 2:6 and the other aforementioned verses from my bible so it will be in conformance to your theory.

As stated before, if we are saved thru belief only then I guess Satan and his minions are going to be saved.

How was school?

Mary

Mary, you missed the boat once again. Demons are not humans. Demons have no hope. Demons believe Jesus is God, but they do not believe Jesus is their savior. Abraham did. That is the difference between demons believing and humans believing. 1st grade, here we come.

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Mary, you missed the boat once again. Demons are not humans. Demons have no hope. Demons believe Jesus is God, but they do not believe Jesus is their savior. Abraham did. That is the difference between demons believing and humans believing. 1st grade, here we come.
Silly boy.....YOU are the one that said “we are saved only through belief in the death, burial and resurrection....“.

Satan and his minions believe in the death, burial and resurrection of Jesus.

NOW you want to say you have to be HUMAN to believe in this AND believe Jesus is their savior.

You my friend are HORRIBLE at communicating what your beliefs are. You NOW want to add to your statement but treat me like I am uneducated by suggesting I need to go back to school.

You don’t know how to communicate but I am the one that needs to go back to school???

Hmmmmm....How does me going back to school help you learn to communicate properly???

I am only repeating what YOU said. If you don’t know how to communicate your thoughts then you shouldn’t write them and suggest I missed the boat.

If you sincerely believe we are saved by belief alone then you have failed to read ALL of scripture.

Mary

Nov 2, 2016
USA
YOU are the one that said “we are saved only through belief in the death, burial and resurrection....“.

And we are.

Satan and his minions believe in the death, burial and resurrection of Jesus.

Mary, do demons believe Jesus is their personal savior?

NOW you want to say you have to be HUMAN to believe in this AND believe Jesus is their savior.

You have to be human to believe in a personal savior, yes.

If you sincerely believe we are saved by belief alone then you have failed to read ALL of scripture.

I'm not the one that believes the blood of Christ alone doesn't save you. You even questioning that tells me that you're not sure about your salvation. God bless.

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Spiritual water Mary, Jhn 7:37-39. H2O will not save you any more than sacrificing goats for sins will.
Soooo....If you were standing in the crowd when Jesus was baptized with H20 you would have told the crowd that what Jesus did was a waste of time? He didn’t need to go into the water?

Or when the Apostles baptized with H20 you would feel comfortable telling the crowd not to do as Jesus did and don’t listen to the Apostles...water is not necessary?

How abut when the eunuch was baptized you would have told him Paul was wrong...he didn’t need water???/

Curious mary

Triumph1300

Jan 11, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Can I just jumped in here for a second and quote the following?

The Bible gives us an example of people who were saved before being baptized. In Acts 10:44-48, Cornelius and those with him were converted through Peter's message. That they were saved before being baptized is evident from their reception of the Holy Spirit (v. 44) and the gifts of the Spirit (v. 46) before their baptism. Indeed, it is the fact that they had received the Holy Spirit (and hence were saved) that led Peter to baptize them (cf. v. 47).

Mjh29

May 28, 2017
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Soooo....If you were standing in the crowd when Jesus was baptized with H20 you would have told the crowd that what Jesus did was a waste of time? He didn’t need to go into the water?

Or when the Apostles baptized with H20 you would feel comfortable telling the crowd not to do as Jesus did and don’t listen to the Apostles...water is not necessary?

How abut when the eunuch was baptized you would have told him Paul was wrong...he didn’t need water???/

Curious mary

Actually, Jesus did this for much the same reason he spoke in parables. Not because the water actually DOES anything, rather; that He wanted to get His point across in a visual way. The water that was used was and is a visual representation of the pouring out of the Spirit, it is a picture of what the Spirit does in a believers life; pours out upon the believer. But no, the water in and of itself does not save the believer. There is only one mediator between God and man, and it is not H20.

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Actually, Jesus did this for much the same reason he spoke in parables. Not because the water actually DOES anything, rather; that He wanted to get His point across in a visual way. The water that was used was and is a visual representation of the pouring out of the Spirit, it is a picture of what the Spirit does in a believers life; pours out upon the believer. But no, the water in and of itself does not save the believer. There is only one mediator between God and man, and it is not H20.
Hi MJ,

Thanks for joining the conversation. You make a very good point and have articulated it well. I can’t find scripture to back up what you stated so could you point me to a verse or two?

The 4 questions from post #212 still remain.

In a nut shell if you were standing next to Jesus or the Apostles when they were baptizing people with water would you feel comfortable telling all those people, in the presence of Jesus/Apostles, that the water wasn’t necessary?

Mary

Nov 2, 2016
USA

Curious mary

No, I would simply believe John in Matt 3:11.

Acts 2:38 is referring to Holy Spirit baptism, which occurred after Pentecost and the conception of the church.

Was the eunuch saved because of H2O or because he believed in the good news about Jesus?

Acts 8:34-35 The eunuch asked Philip, “Tell me, please, who is the prophet talking about, himself or someone else?” 35Then Philip began with that very passage of Scripture and told him the good news about Jesus.

God bless

Mjh29

May 28, 2017
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi MJ,

Thanks for joining the conversation. You make a very good point and have articulated it well. I can’t find scripture to back up what you stated so could you point me to a verse or two?

The 4 questions from post #212 still remain.

In a nut shell if you were standing next to Jesus or the Apostles when they were baptizing people with water would you feel comfortable telling all those people, in the presence of Jesus/Apostles, that the water wasn’t necessary?

Mary

Hi Mary, pleased to be here. Before I begin, I would first like to note the irony in the fact that the only one aho has NOT joined in the bashing... is the "mean, stiff nosed" Calvinist.

Anyways, I believe that baptism by water is a VERY important sign in a believer's life. I believe that when Jesus told us to baptise the nations in His name, that this is a command we need to take as of the utmost importance. And, to answer your question, No, I would not tell Jesus that the water was not necessary. However, Jesus was a man of the Scriptures. After all, they are His words! Here is why I do believe that baptism is of utmost importance, but the water in and of itself holds no actual value.

Isaiah 1:11
To what purpose is the multitude of your sacrifices unto me? saith the LORD: I am full of the burnt offerings of rams, and the fat of fed beasts; and I delight not in the blood of bullocks, or of lambs, or of the goats.

God has never been satisfied with ANY MATERIAL in and of itself. Blood, Water; they are in the end just objects; things. Then, you may ask, why were they necessary? Because of what they stand for! Not, the water is not Holy in and of itself; its just water. No, the blood of goats and rams didn't really please God in and of themselves, it was just blood. But what they stand for is holy.

John 5:39
Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me.

You see, the Pharisees thought that there were certain things they could do to make their way to heaven. They believed that the actions, the things in and of themselves were pleasing to God. Jesus firmly corrects them, telling them that the Scriptures, from the Sacrificial system to the giving of the manna to His people in the wilderness, every "holy" action, every "holy" item, was only holy because of who it pointed to, and in and of itself does not produce results. So, No, I would never ever tell Jesus that the water wasn't necessary. I believe he already knew.

Thank you for taking the time to read my rambles, looking forward to continuing this discussion!

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Was the eunuch saved because of H2O or because he believed in the good news about Jesus?
This is a great question - and the answer is BOTH.

He was saved by his belief - and his obedience.
ACTING on his belief is what gave birth to his faith - NOT simply "believing."

Faith = Belief + Obedience (DOING)

Philip James

May 4, 2018
Brandon
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Anyways, I believe that baptism by water is a VERY important sign in a believer's life. I believe that when Jesus told us to baptise the nations in His name, that this is a command we need to take as of the utmost importance.

1127 Celebrated worthily in faith, the sacraments confer the grace that they signify.48 They are efficacious because in them Christ himself is at work: it is he who baptizes, he who acts in his sacraments in order to communicate the grace that each sacrament signifies

Pax!

Reactions: Mjh29