Blood washed question

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Richard_oti

Mar 17, 2008
Oh so you do say it...like, I'm so happy I'm washed in the blood.
And when you do, you feel reverence.

Yeah, I don't quite say such like in "Oh Happy Day". In fact, it is not something that I say "commonly" [double entendre]. More like in "God Forbid" by Point of Grace.

Funny how songs that I haven't heard in such a long time have come to mind. Perhaps the use of songs shall better convey any "feeling".

<snip>

Blood is bloody...I don't really get why a person can't think it, feel it,
feel blessed by it....but rather says it out loud ...and to people it could turn off to Christianity.

That is a possibility. Particularly in this day and age. However I for one appreciate what @FHII and @aspen have conveyed and contributed. OTOH: It is a necessary realization.

Or maybe it is said more often to each other...tho, that has not been my exp...

I am confident that @"ByGrace" can better answer this for you.

it can be written on placards and trucks.

Too "common" from my perspective.

<snip>

Edit: In thinking more about this, it is something that I don't really discuss or place before those likely to trample upon such.

Last edited:
Reactions: Helen and FHII

Miss Hepburn

Oct 28, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am curious and only because of your admission to being bothered by all the talk of blood. Does it offend you that Jesus said you must drink His blood?
Now that is a good question,too...back atcha.
And here I am I never gave it much thought!!!!
And I was a devote devote Catholic...receiving communion every day there was a mass for years. [no wine back then]
I read again an atheist call Christians cannibals...so I got a glimpse of how others saw Christianity from the outside looking in.
It didn't effect me or my faith.
But, I was never one to 'say' anything with blood in a sentence.

Dcopymope

May 22, 2016
Motor City
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ok...decades ago I knew how I and others saw Christians..one thing was they
used the word "blood" so much and it creeped us out.
I mean covered in the blood, washed in the blood , saved by the blood...so much blood talk...

So, here on this forum it is used ....what personally do you feeeeeel and mean when you use it?
Have you had some vision of being covered in blood?
Do you see drops on you? I mean, why is it part of your vernacular, language, lingo..whatever the word is.

There is nothing wrong with it so don't go into attack mode on me...I want to know why you all
say it.
I don't want or need a Bib
le verses...just what do you feeeeeeel when you say it.
Maybe there is a purpose? I dunno.

The very notion of someone claiming to have had a vision from God of themselves being covered in blood should be dismissed outright. The only individual that I recall ever being described in such a way at all is Jesus in revelation. This doesn't have to be about what I feel when I say it, because when I say it I don't mean it literally, only that his blood, him being innocent was sufficient to serve as the ransom for my soul, as my get out of jail free card and nothing more than that. If you recall, his body saw no corruption during the three days in the tomb, which means that his blood didn't magically disappear as some people will claim occurred when he was stabbed in the side by a spear on the cross.

The significance of this is simple, his body saw no corruption because he himself even while being tempted saw no corruption by sin, and since he "knew no sin", then as far as God is concerned, neither did his bride. If you are asking for some kind of deeper, metaphorical explanation concerning the blood covering, well, we all know that when our bodies are changed, we will see God as he is really is in all his glory. As of right now, no man can see God fully and live to tell about it because of our sinful nature. As of right now, if we were to see Gods face, then that "no good thing" within us, our flesh that Paul referred to would whither and die. But at his second coming, our bodies will be purified and made whole like the body of Jesus, which includes our blood, and only than will we see God as he really is.

Reactions: Miss Hepburn

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Now that is a good question,too...back atcha.
And here I am I never gave it much thought!!!!
And I was a devote devote Catholic...receiving communion every day there was a mass for years. [no wine back then]
I read again an atheist call Christians cannibals...so I got a glimpse of how others saw Christianity from the outside looking in.
It didn't effect me or my faith.
But, I was never one to 'say' anything with blood in a sentence.

What if I told you: You must drink the New Testament, You must be washed by the New Testament, and You must be covered by the New Testament? The New Testament: The Testimony of Jesus Christ.

Last edited:

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why is this question in 'Christian newbies' section. It should be in 'Non-Christian Help Forum'.

Miss Hepburn wants to post in a Christian section but then establish a rule of 'no Scripture'. How ridiculous.

It is God who has established the necessity of blood for salvation. It need go no farther than that. It is God Who sees the blood of Jesus Christ as payment for sin. And only that blood will pay for sin.

I for one who has come to Christ for salvation am washed in the blood. I am under the blood of Jesus Christ. How does it make me feel. Great. Saved. Because that is what it does.

When one who counts the blood of Christ as a worthless thing, stands before the One that lost that blood on our behalf, or before the Father of the One Who gave that blood on our behalf, I wonder how they will view the blood then?

Stranger

Reactions: Helen

Miss Hepburn

Oct 28, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why was there no wine? Or why did I receive communion at all or so often?
I was into all Catholic teachings, it was a Sacrament...not offered anywhere else at that time...now Protestant
Services offer wine and sometimes a bit of bread..some just on a Holiday.
I was a follower, not a questioner. I felt it was Holy.
I deleted a long ramble about it...I'll leave it at that.
Drink the NT? I would not use that word, sorry, I would say understand it, contemplate it's message and inspiration...draw it in, digest it..if you will, into your heart and spirit.

Oh and I should mention to you...I never said the word offend...decades ago hearing Christians say 'the blood' so much was weird..I think I said it creeped some of us out...we talked about it.
I was pretty young.

And Dcopy...good post earlier.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dcopymope

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why was there no wine? Or why did I receive communion at all or so often?
I was into all Catholic teachings, it was a Sacrament...not offered anywhere else at that time...now Protestant
Services offer wine and sometimes a bit of bread..some just on a Holiday.
I was a follower, not a questioner. I felt it was Holy.
I deleted a long ramble about it...I'll leave it at that.
Drink the NT? I would not use that word, sorry, I would say understand it, contemplate it's message and inspiration...draw it in, digest it..if you will, into your heart and spirit.

Oh and I should mention to you...I never said the word offend...decades ago hearing Christians say 'the blood' so much was weird..I think I said it creeped some of us out...we talked about it.
I was pretty young.

And Dcopy...good post earlier.

Please look up all the times "New Testament" is used and in reference to the blood. The New Testament is not a book written on paper that we drink; it is the testimony of Jesus Christ. Spirit. Life. Moses, Abraham, David, Enoch, Noah, Samson all testified of the coming Messiah. That is what made them different. The Lord's testimony. The Revelation of Jesus Christ. (1 Corinthians 11:25). The disciples drank of the cup and we must also drink of it. It is time to question why those in charge kept others from drinking of the cup. Why keep other from drinking of the New Testament which is life through faith in Christ?

We must believe the Testament and then make confession with our mouth that He is truth: to testify of Christ before others. (Hebrews 9:16-18).

Normally I would post the scripture but you asked for it not to be posted. You have the freedom to not decided to click on it. He tells us over and over what the blood is and He says "drink".

Miss Hepburn

Oct 28, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I didn't ask for scripture to not be posted..I asked in answering the question not to use a verse to answer ...why? Because I wanted to know what a person personally felt, why did they say those words in a sentence, " washed in the blood"...lm repeating myself here...what did it mean "to you".
I know 1Cor and esp Ch 9 of Hebrews...it doesnt tell me why you say it, if you do.
Again, I know about the significance of blood in Judaism and Christianity.
Take care.

Reactions: bbyrd009

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
decades ago hearing Christians say 'the blood' so much was weird..I think I said it creeped some of us out...we talked about it.
those always seem to end up being the control freaks, seemed to me? Imo a Nehushtan worshipper just has nothing else meaningful to grasp, having denied the value of their own works, etc

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I didn't ask for scripture to not be posted..I asked in answering the question not to use a verse to answer ...why? Because I wanted to know what a person personally felt, why did they say those words in a sentence, " washed in the blood"...lm repeating myself here...what did it mean "to you".
I know 1Cor and esp Ch 9 of Hebrews...it doesnt tell me why you say it, if you do.
Again, I know about the significance of blood in Judaism and Christianity.
Take care.

"to you".

Okay, to me "washed in the blood" means washed by the life giving Spirit which is Christ. Covered. Redeemed. Purchased. Sanctified.

2 Corinthians 3:6
[6] Who also hath made us able ministers of the new testament; not of the letter, but of the spirit: for the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life.

Ministers of the blood.
You take care also.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I ain't really a touchy feely kind of guy. However, what such would mean to me: The blood of the Passover serves as a "covering" from the destroyer. And it is through faith in the blood. For the blood was applied to the head and sides of the door, just as the blood is applied to our thoughts and actions done aforetime.

For whatever it may or may not be worth.

Hey Richard....
I have not seen this Thread before... and already it is on page two!
You have pretty much spoken for me in your post. :)

@Miss Hepburn
Maybe for me personally it was because of the message of Salvation I heard from the old Pastor back in the 60's.
It was for me, " a seeing" for the first time just what Jesus did for us all!
And hearing about the power of the blood of Jesus. Something very new to me...and I could see the victory in it.
So, we were taught right back then about the blood for cleansing, protecting , delivering, etc
When under spiritual attack , heaviness, fear, worry or any oppression of the Enemy of spirit, or whatever...then I have had times of just walking up and down a room just muttering and proclaiming - "The Blood Of Jesus, The Blood Of Jesus" until the situation brakes and the Enemy lets go. Victory!

And ...one night back in our early days, when my husband and I were out doing our usual Friday night evangelizing around the bars ...I was waiting outside the bar for him to finish...he came out and starting walking across the road to me and a car came out of nowhere going very fast..directly at him!
I yelled "The Blood Of Jesus"...it screamed to a stop, and Dave had his hand actually on the hood of the car, just as if he had stopped it (like Superman :D) It was 8.30pm, we checked the time to see if it was time to go home, (because of the shock) but too early ..we always stayed until the bars closed. On the Sunday at the meeting, the two old missionary ladies that prayer for us the whole time we were out ..(but more so the people we were speaking to..) asked us " What happened at 8.30pm last night?"
We told them...they said that they were 'praying as usual' then at 8.30 they felt moved to start praying very loudly "Lord we pray for the protection of the blood.."

But I add to this , once a person has seen how much the Devil hates the BLOOD...it should convince anyone who calls themselves a believer!!!
If anyone has been present at a deliverance it can be seen and heard!!
The devils hate the blood, they fear it..it hurts them, if you touch the person who has asked for deliverance..it burns not them, but the demons..they will yell- " Not the blood, not the blood..stop you are burning me.."
The first time I read that scripture in Ex ,as the angel of death was passing over the first born in Egypt...."When I see the blood I will pass over you.." I saw the power of the blood for protection.
I am not trying to convince anyone else... :) ( Ha ha! Your loss )

Whatever Satan hates, I rejoice in!! Good enough proof for me. :)

Praise God for the all powerful blood of Jesus...what a gift!! ✟

Last edited:

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ok...decades ago I knew how I and others saw Christians..one thing was they
used the word "blood" so much and it creeped us out.
I mean covered in the blood, washed in the blood , saved by the blood...so much blood talk...

So, here on this forum it is used ....what personally do you feeeeeel and mean when you use it?
Have you had some vision of being covered in blood?
Do you see drops on you? I mean, why is it part of your vernacular, language, lingo..whatever the word is.

There is nothing wrong with it so don't go into attack mode on me...I want to know why you all
say it.
I don't want or need a Bib
le verses...just what do you feeeeeeel when you say it.
Maybe there is a purpose? I dunno.
I agree. Many people who come to know God begin to speak in the language of what they have learned, without considering that they are not understood...and as you say, even creepy. For example: there was a time when I understood more and preferred the old English thy and thou language of the King James Bible...because that was the language in which the truth came to me, at least in part. But it's like speaking in tongues.

In translation, the blood was the understanding of those during a time of swords and spears, where "life" would literally run out on the ground for those who lost it. It was synonymous with "life."

But that was then and this is now. The word now, should be: "spirit." For, unlike those times before Christ and all that the world was shown in the flesh (and blood), since that time, it is the spirit that is life. Did Jesus not say, "Do not worry about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink; nor about your body, what you will put on. Is not life more than food and the body more than clothing?" Therefore, the word for these times should be "spirit", but spoken in terms that are easily understood.

Last edited:

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
But that was then and this is now. The word now, should be: "spirit." For, unlike those times before Christ and all that the world was shown in the flesh (and blood), since that time, it is the spirit that is life. Did Jesus not say, "Do not worry about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink; nor about your body, what you will put on. Is not life more than food and the body more than clothing?" Therefore, the word for these times should be "spirit", but spoken in terms that are easily understood.

Our friend @amadeus would give you an amen there....he and I have talked this over before....where I say blood, he says spirit...or even Spirit...as you say..
Again, for me, no beach to die on....

"And I said unto him, Sir, thou knowest. And he said to me, These are they which came out of great tribulation, and have washed their robes, and made them white in the blood of the Lamb."
Revelation 7:14,

Just think of all the wonderful old hymns that would then be obsolete... :D

If the "blood of Jesus " makes demons tremble I will stick with the old AKJV.
It has served me well and lasted me 50+ years...

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Addressing the OP. not saying that anyone is right or wrong, but consider this. the blood is real, but nothing to be afraid of . we have two lives. one in the world (sin) before we come to Christ, and one in Christ after our death in Baptism. and there are two scriptures that cater to each of those two lives. they are #1. Romans 3:25 "Whom God hath set forth to be a propitiation through faith in his blood, to declare his righteousness for the remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God". #2. 1 John 1:9 "If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness". let me try explain both in a as many of few words as possiable. as one poster quoted, Romans 3:25 "Whom God hath set forth to be a propitiation through faith in his blood, to declare his righteousness for the remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God". these are the KEY words "Sins that are Past". the sacrifice on the cross, the shedding of blood covers our PAST LIFE that we lived in the world of sin. remember there are a book that our recording angel is taking out on us everyday that we live in this world, either in or out of Christ. our past life is out of Christ until we confess him. so the blood that was shed on the cross, the actual alter, was one and for ever to pay for the sins of the world. that is Finish. when one come to Jesus, (by confessing him) , yours, our, and my recording angel gives his book of recording of our past life to the Lord Jesus. all of our unrighteous acts and sins are forgiven, or "washed" away from our life, from our record book . why is this book so important, listen, Revelation 20:12 "And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works". did you notice "BOOKS" with an "s" at the end, meaning more than one. our past life in the world, and our newness of life in Christ Jesus. so when you give your life to Christ, our recording angel get a new book, because we now have a new life, which is in Christ Jesus. now, all the sins we committed in the past are erased by his sacrifice, the blood. now we step out in NEWNESS of life and we take two steps and sin. what now? all our past sins are covered by his blood. what we do now? remember the two scripture I gave at the beginning. 1 John 1:9 "If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness". we're no longer in sis, but if we sin we have an advocate. if we confess our sins he is faithful and Just to forgive us of our sins. understand, sinners and saints are nearly treated the same by God. God require confession from both. but here's the difference. God do not require a sinner to confess his sins in order to be saved, but to confess his son Jesus. and those who are saved, are to confess their sins because they are saved. and remember their are two book, the one who life you lived outside of Christ, and the one you lived inside of Christ. now the cleansing part of 1 John 1:9 . I heard you and several other use the term "feeling". by Faith is no feeling involved, but to know that you're 1. redeemed, (born again). 2. Saved. how do we know that we're saved? Romans 5:10 "For if, when we were enemies, we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son, much more, being reconciled, we shall be saved by his life". what life is this? his blood no,
LIFE: G2222 ζωή zoe (zō-ee') n.
1. life. (more than merely the present physical or natural life).
2. life-above. (above or elevated in relation to the mere physical condition. There may be strong connotations and direct inferences to Spiritual, Kingdom, or Eternal life in certain contexts, but not always. This word deserves special demarcation and attention).
3. epithet of Jesus (John 14:6), the source of life (Col 1:16-17), both of the natural existence and above this mere bodily existence.
4. (Note) The act of genuine, neighborly kindness is an example of living above the mere bodily, flesh-driven existence. In a lower sense, watching the beauty of a sunset with someone and waiting as the stars appear is also an example.
{literally or figuratively. used in a mortal, temporal sense and in an eternal sense}
[from G2198; in contrast to G979]
KJV: life(-time)

take note of definition #1. & #2. 1. more than merely the present physical or natural life (so the blood here is out). 2. life-above, Spiritual, Eternal. this is the LIFE our Savoir possess. it is the Spirit that gives life, the flesh profit NOTHING. and this Flesh and blood cannot inherit the Kingdom.

conclusion. the blood was given on the cross, or the altar, which is here on EARTH, for sins that are past. and because we're now save (by his life, Spiritual, which we now live in hope until he appear), if we sin, we confess to be forgiven.

PS our sinful consciences is clean from the acts that lead to death, scripture, 1 Peter 3:21 "The like figure whereunto even baptism doth also now save us (not the putting away of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward God,) by the resurrection of Jesus Christ". this result from REPENTANCE, a changing of one's mind by hearing the good news. and Faith comes by hearing/washing of the word.

I tried to used less words as possible, but if any question, please ask.

peace in Christ Jesus/Yeshua.

Armadillo

Aug 11, 2017
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I'm trying to get a handle on this, is all. Sorry, if I'm being nitpicky..but until I understand why people pepper their words with 'in the blood'...I will be that way.

We are justified by His blood, Romans 5:9.

We are justified by faith, Romans 5:1.

The Israelites in Egypt marked the doorposts with the blood of a lamb and the Angel of Death would see the blood on the door and pass by them. The Jewish Passover celebrates the blood of the sacrifice, the Angel of Death passes over them, Exodus 12.

Jesus' blood marks the door to a believer's heart and our justification by faith is believing in Jesus Christ but our being justified by the blood is God accepting Jesus' sacrifice. You can't be justified by blood without being justified by faith first and then His blood will cover you every second of the day.

1 Peter 1:18,19 For you know that it was not with perishable things such as silver or gold that you were redeemed from the empty way of life handed down to you from your ancestors, but with the precious blood of Christ, a lamb without blemish or defect.

The above is why I pepper my words with "in the blood".

Armadillo

Aug 11, 2017
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

John 6:60, On hearing it, many of his disciples said, “This is a hard teaching. Who can accept it?”

Can you?

Reactions: Helen