Blood washed question

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Armadillo

Aug 11, 2017
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
"picking up the cross"...what does that mean exactly...can u use it in a sentence?
(Also not a term I use or have heard around me.)
I picture picking up a weapon? A tool?

I totally don't get how you can profess to be a Christian.

Miss Hepburn

Oct 28, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I totally don't get how you can profess to be a Christian.
Aren't you charming...
Did you happen to notice the main section of where this is posted?
I have not been near inundated with Chistian lingo as most of you here..
..in 2009 I first heard the words "Altar call". Huh?
I thought a Christian was defined by the Nicene Creed..not by subtle understandings of of phrases used.
I know the significance of blood...but not saying to someone, "So happy Im washed in the blood"....not a phrase I have been exposed to. I would never say it, might think it.
I am understanding it a bit more...protection is one.

Maybe someone will explain more what picking up your cross means exactly.

Btw, keep warm up there!!

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Yes, you were very clear regarding Dave's protection,
And how you used the blood prayer or phrase.
Thank you. :)
So you would be on guard with my pagan neighbor lady, a landscaper, because she is into (I think) Nature spirits, little fairies in the garden, doing Moon -Goddess earth ceremonies with flowers in her hair, with others, those feminine ceremonies around a fire, praising Mother Nature or Gaia? Sp? :D
Sorry, I just made all that stuff up..lol...I just am coming from my imagination on what they do.
But, I didn't understand the 'on guard'...like there was something to be afraid of...I think it's ..well, a bit comical...like little girls dancing in the woods under a full moon ...thanking the Goddess...who ever that is.

Haha! No not quite...
I grew up on fairies...my old mum always told me about the fairies at the bottom of the garden...I had to let them go with Santa lol, at about age 7.
( but I still enjoy movies that end " happy ever after"...)
That was the same year that my dad became a Christian.

No I mean more the ones I have talked to who say they are christians ( and believe it) but the more they talk the more I find there is no blood/cross in their experience.
There is one entrance and that is via the Door. I have a few friends who don't see that. My friend next door...I thought was a christian...she is sweet, but I am still dripping truth upon her. She has some..but not quite all.

Obviously in all this..I am convinced of the truth as I see it in the Word. :)
I never tell my friends that they are "wrong" I dislike that word. I tell them that they are selling themselves short and that there is much more that the Lord has for them.

Unlike most others...I DO believe that it will work out well for everyone in the end...but many will not 'be' where that could have been if they had chosen to harken a bit more to the Father and not to the false teaching of a bloodless cross-less Gospel!!

You have the love part nailed, but I don't think you yet see the price part yet ....of all Jesus paid for you to enter the fullness of unity, Bridehood in the kingdom... maybe I am wrong...I have been once or twice!! lol
Well...
Them are my thoughts... :)

Last edited:
Reactions: pia

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
@Miss Hepburn
Question. When we/I talk like I do..re the blood of Jesus, the price of the cross, the bloodless gospel, and the phrases I/we use without even thinking about them. To the ear that hasn't taken these phrases for granted and not raised on them for years...does it sound like we are talking "KJV" rather than The Message ? ( which I can't stand lol)

I am aware that some of us do use Chritianese and can hardly speak without it. A habit of 55 years is hard to break.

Some people can read Jane Austen and Dickens and love it, some people hate it and can't grasp it ( my hubby hates it :) )

Stop me if I use a phrase that you are not used to...I had never thought of these things before. I would hate to be sounding as if I think myself super-spiritual or something. :D
Maybe we all have our own comfortable 'language'...bbyrd sure does! :D

Miss Hepburn

Oct 28, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
These phrases are newish to me...so I wanted to know how they are being used.
I smile remembering my neighbor saying fellowship a lot...huh? I mean I could figure it out...but I'd never been around anyone that used it in everyday language...I'm not sure what Namaste is that some people say....Peace? *shrug*
Chistianese is indeed different to many people's ears....i can't say that it sounds KJV or not, really. You aren't saying saith or Ye...thanks for being nice to me, H. xo

Reactions: pia

Miss Hepburn

Oct 28, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A story: Do you know when I first bought and opened a Bible in 2006, an RSV ,
Now all marked up by me and a bit worn...I was dumbfounded at what I was learning...rather ...what I never knew!!!!

So I asked 10 people i knew, "Do you consider your self to be a Christian?"
Yes.
"So, if I said Corinthians, Colossians and Ephesians...where would u say they are from,
the Old T or the New T...?"
9 had NO idea and all 9 guessed Old Testament...the only one that knew was an
atheist friend, 65, that had gone to a Catholic private prep school at an Abbey as a boy.
(One's wife said, "Oh my husband will know his brother is a minister."
He did not have a clue!)

Just as I thought...I was NOT the only one that had no idea about the actual Bible...I only knew hearsay, bits here and there.
I asked further for fun now..."Do you by any chance know who Martha and Mary were and anything significant with Jesus and them?"
No clue.
I told a friend and he did know...Italian Cath that said he actually listened in school.

I've come a long way.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Chistianese is indeed different to many people's ears....i can't say that it sounds KJV or not, really. You aren't saying saith or Ye...thanks for being nice to me, H. xo

Haha! No, I didn't mean I am talking as the KJV writes..I meant the gap between the KJV-ites and the rest of the translations.. it doesn't literally sound KJV LOL
I guess it is like a husband and wife of two different cultures..
My nephew is British...his wife Chinese. Since birth he has only spoken to his kids in English, she has only spoken in Chinese. ( Obviously he can speak Chinese and she English...) They wanted the kids to be fluent in both, which they are. Just saying...I was raised on it by my dad...until your post, I just presumed people grasped the typology etc. Just goes to show :)

Reactions: amadeus and pia

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
(One's wife said, "Oh my husband will know his brother is a minister."
He did not have a clue!)

Just as I thought...I was NOT the only one that had no idea about the actual Bible...I only knew hearsay, bits here and there.
I asked further for fun now..."Do you by any chance know who Martha and Mary were and anything significant with Jesus and them?"
No clue.

Again for me...grew up with it. Went to Sunday school at age 7 and learned the books of the bible by rote. Had a wonderful bible teacher who made everything so interesting. Learned all the bible characters.
I didn't become a real believer until I was 22.. ( when I saw for the first time the wonder of what God did for us through Jesus etc. :) ) I had always believed in God, but I was a 'hope-so person'...I thought I was a Christian because I believed in God! ..but I was just hoping that somehow, someday, I would end up in heaven with God .
I didn't really understand any much about a personal one to one relationship etc. ( let alone hearing Him speak )
When my kids were born, I taught them bible books by rote too..and all the exciting bible characters ...loved it.

I agree with you..not many have delved into the bible much, and many find it boring. It is rich in stories ..never boring :)

:rolleyes: Sorry rambling...lol

pia

May 30, 2009
West Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Haha! No, I didn't mean I am talking as the KJV writes..I meant the gap between the KJV-ites and the rest of the translations.. it doesn't literally sound KJV LOL
I guess it is like a husband and wife of two different cultures..
My nephew is British...his wife Chinese. Since birth he has only spoken to his kids in English, she has only spoken in Chinese. ( Obviously he can speak Chinese and she English...) They wanted the kids to be fluent in both, which they are. Just saying...I was raised on it by my dad...until your post, I just presumed people grasped the typology etc. Just goes to show :)
I haven't heard the expression 'Christianese' before and having trouble understanding what exactly people mean by that..Can you assist me please ?

Reactions: Helen

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I haven't heard the expression 'Christianese' before and having trouble understanding what exactly people mean by that..Can you assist me please ?

:D it is just a phase we used for people who have their own dialogue..
Each group has a language they use, even if not realising it! Much like in England there are different usage in north, south, and the many different counties ..colloquialisms are a distinct jargon used. So that's what I mean.
Another phrase for chritian-ese is 'christian-speak'
Example on this Site here is our good friend bbyrd009 he has his bbyrd-speak or bbyrd-ese. :D
.....H

pia

May 30, 2009
West Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
@"ByGrace" Thanks for that....I had sort of thought that it was like when we say someone from China speaks Chinese, but wasn't sure....Haha, thanks

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Interesting subject

Mat 27:31 And after that they had mocked him, they took the robe off from him, and put his own raiment on him, and led him away to crucify him.
Mat 27:32 And as they came out, they found a man of Cyrene, Simon by name: him they compelled to bear his cross.

Mar 15:20 And when they had mocked him, they took off the purple from him, and put his own clothes on him, and led him out to crucify him.
Mar 15:21 And they compel one Simon a Cyrenian, who passed by, coming out of the country, the father of Alexander and Rufus, to bear his cross.

Luk 23:25 And he released unto them him that for sedition and murder was cast into prison, whom they had desired; but he delivered Jesus to their will.
Luk 23:26 And as they led him away, they laid hold upon one Simon, a Cyrenian, coming out of the country, and on him they laid the cross, that he might bear it after Jesus.

Joh 19:16 Then delivered he him therefore unto them to be crucified. And they took Jesus, and led him away.
Joh 19:17 And he bearing his cross went forth into a place called the place of a skull, which is called in the Hebrew Golgotha:

According to 3 out of the 4 stories, Jesus never carried His cross, and the 4th really doesnt give any hints, who is he, could be Simon could be JEsus, but according to all the stories Jesus never fell down, funny how religion can make its own good stories. I do remember those pics from the stations of teh cross.

I was taught it was bearing those who hate you, your mad family etc, but really that has noting to do with it. We all know where teh cross goes, and there is only one outcome, you dying to self, than it goes in the back burner as you are raised into that new life with Jesus. The cross no longer in your story for you are now on that narrow path and it is far behind you.
You know you are there when you fall on your knees, cry out, my God my God why have you forsaken me, than admit, yet nevertheless not my will but yours be done. It is finished.

Miss Hepburn

Oct 28, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I was taught it was bearing those who hate you, your mad family etc, but really that has noting to do with it. We all know where teh cross goes, and there is only one outcome, you dying to self, than it goes in the back burner as you are raised into that new life with Jesus. The cross no longer in your story for you are now on that narrow path and it is far behind you. You know you are there when you fall on your knees, cry out, my God my God why have You forsaken me, than admit, yet nevertheless not my will but Yours be done. It is finished.
Thank you for taking this time. ☺
Now...why would God forsake me? Abandon me? Leave me in any way?
That makes no sense to me, my friend.

Added: Or you?

Last edited:

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
the Israelites who hid under a table not really believing the blood on the doorpost did anything, die? No.
lol, i'm like "wait, some Hebrews hid under the table, not believing? where have i been?" lol

so wadr if you could present a better example? bc yes, those guys, types, did all die, except for two right.
they all got covered by the blood, and they all died anyway
Are those justified by faith and justified by His blood need to worry about picking up the cross or not? No.
i am nonplussed, Arm, and that is not an easy thing to do bro
hopefully someone else has given you the 411 by now. yikes, did you really even say this
If I got a dollar for everytime you post about picking up the cross, I'd take a much-needed vacation to the seaside.
ha you think it was bad before? just wait :D

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
who ever that is.
i'd be judging them by their fruit, too.

if you are being "on guard," you are by def holding an epee, right? Saber?
:)
But, I didn't understand the 'on guard'...like there was something to be afraid of...I think it's ..well, a bit comical
it is the members of a man's own household...etc

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
I'm always on guard when people speak of a bloodless ( cross-less) gospel. ( denying the power thereof..)
i missed your response to "if you do not pick up your cross, the blood of Jesus will not help you at all."
Better to run a mile and not look back or spend the countless hours, perhaps years, conversing with those who deny Jesus Christ. Only the Holy Spirit can give revelation, I'll leave it to Him.
In struggling against sin, you have not yet resisted to the point of shedding your blood though right

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
What I posted was not for you, but at you.
i gotta witness for her anyway, even understanding how this is being received.
You are of course welcome to judge the flower girl if you like, but understand that if she is doing righteousness then she will be accounted righteous, as MH is apparently witnessing is so.
The truth is established in the mouth of witnesses, and i have plenty of Scripture that justifies her

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
it means recognizing that the flower girl is fine with God if she is practicing righteousness, regardless of her lexicon, which is as irrelevant to God as it is to you, and that you should be teaching us what "pick up your cross" means lol
Btw, keep warm up there!!
if i was him i'd be banking the cold as long as i could lol :)

j/k Arm, but really, yikes, ok