Born Again or Christian? Is there a difference and what is your biblical support ?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Ritajanice; @Red Baker; @JBO; @Scott Downey ;

I have brought this subject forward in a stand alone thread , as suggested by Rita.....from CALVINISM: The height of Spiritual depravity
as that one seemed to be off in a new direction from the OP.. and because Rita as we all have very individual specific ideas about this subject.... and each of the mentioned have contributed today.

While basic random thoughts I will kick things off with these. (Overly simplistic, but is a start.)

Since we have these 3 examples of the word in the Holy Bible what do you believe a person who says they are Christian, or a Christian mean?

Born again shall be addressed whenever you want to put it in.
A Christian in the NT / biblical meaning is one who has been born again. The modern day meaning is nothing more than a word that can mean almost anything to anyone. Several different religions many consider to be “ cults “ call themselves “ Christians “.

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Dear Taken,
I wanted to respond to you because of this statement you made:
Every individual person, has the OPTION to Freely accept or Freely reject Gods Offering.

Scripture clearly contradicts your statement. Your statement is founded upon the works of man (the Old Covenant) rather than the works of Christ (the New Covenant). Unless Christ comes to a person (and this is without their asking or permission) and gives them the Early Rain of the Spirit, they will never freely accept God's offering.

Disagree.

Jesus came to OFFER Salvation to the WHOLE World.

Jesus’ OFFERING is His Part.
Any man of the Whole world, is his OPTION to take or refuse.

How a ANY man can Accept or Reject is simply revealed…Take it or Not.

John 12:
[44] Jesus cried and said, He that believeth on me, believeth not on me, but on him that sent me.
[45] And he that seeth me seeth him that sent me.
[46] I am come a light into the world, that whosoever believeth on me should not abide in darkness.
[47] And if any man hear my words, and believe not, I judge him not: for I came not to judge the world, but to save the world.
[48] He that rejecteth me, and receiveth not my words, hath one that judgeth him: the word that I have spoken, the same shall judge him in the last day.

I dare say the Lord God IS ALL Knowing…All shall Hear of Him….and decide on their own to Take His Offering or Not.

All mortals (humans) SHALL bodily DIE…either with or without the Lord God….everyone’s Option to chose before their bodily death.

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@FaithWillDo ~

Regarding “works”…

One WORK any person can DO…
IS BELIEVE…(John 6:29)
That is ONE WORK, that leads to salvation…(not IS Salvation)…can still fall away from faith.

One SERVICE any person can DO…
IS CONFESS their Belief…(Rom 12:1)
That is ONE SERVICE, that is receipt of salvation (non-revocable).

“Work(S)” a person DOES to Glorify God…shall receive “Rewards” (crowns), received when the Lord returns.

Reactions: amadeus

FaithWillDo

Mar 1, 2023
Fort Collins, CO, USA
www.greatmysteryofchrist.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Disagree.

Jesus came to OFFER Salvation to the WHOLE World.

Jesus’ OFFERING is His Part.
Any man of the Whole world, is his OPTION to take or refuse.

How a ANY man can Accept or Reject is simply revealed…Take it or Not.

John 12:
[44] Jesus cried and said, He that believeth on me, believeth not on me, but on him that sent me.
[45] And he that seeth me seeth him that sent me.
[46] I am come a light into the world, that whosoever believeth on me should not abide in darkness.
[47] And if any man hear my words, and believe not, I judge him not: for I came not to judge the world, but to save the world.
[48] He that rejecteth me, and receiveth not my words, hath one that judgeth him: the word that I have spoken, the same shall judge him in the last day.

I dare say the Lord God IS ALL Knowing…All shall Hear of Him….and decide on their own to Take His Offering or Not.

All mortals (humans) SHALL bodily DIE…either with or without the Lord God….everyone’s Option to chose before their bodily death.
Dear Taken,
The scriptures which I posted (and which you ignored) contradict what you stated. Why do you not believe those scriptures?

Concerning John 12:44-48, the only people who can believe on Christ are the children of God who all have the indwelling of the Holy Spirit.

1Cor 12:3 Wherefore I give you to understand, that no man speaking by the Spirit of God calleth Jesus accursed: and that no man can say that Jesus is the Lord, but by the Holy Spirit.

The children of the Devil (all mankind) cannot believe on Christ - it is not possible because mankind has no faith of their own and has no ability to acquire any. Faith must be given to us by Christ via the Holy Spirit. With the Spirit, we become a new creation.

We are all completely at the mercy of Christ to save us. We have no ability to contribute anything to our salvation - especially faith in Christ.

Scripture says that the Father sent Christ to save the world:

1John 4:14 And we have seen and do testify that the Father sent the Son to be the Savior of the world.

And that is exactly what Christ will do:

1Tim 2:3 For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Savior; 4 who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth. 5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus; 6 who gave himself a ransom for all, to be testified in due time.

In this present age, Christ is only saving the people who have been chosen for this blessing from the foundation of the world. They are the First Fruits of His harvest of mankind. The remaining harvest of mankind will occur in the final age when all mankind (except the First Fruits) is judged by the Law:

Mat 23:23 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law: justice, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone.

Your judgment is like the judgment of the Pharisees. It omits justice, mercy and faith. But Christ's judgment in the final age will not omit these "weightier matters of the Law". The penalty of the Law for sin is death but before the "lost" perish, Christ will have mercy upon them and give them the Holy Spirit. With the indwelling Spirit, they will have the required faith they need for salvation (becoming a child of God). Justice will then be served by the destruction of the child of the Devil who sinned.

Your belief in mixing man's works (Old Covenant) with the works of Christ (New Covenant) is the one and only sin that an Early Rain believer can commit which will cause them to fall from grace. This is the "sin that leads to death" (1John 5:16). For that reason, it is necessary for Christ to come to a person TWO times for they are saved.

James 5:7 Be patient therefore, brethren, unto the coming of the Lord. Behold, the farmer waiteth for the precious fruit of the earth, and hath long patience for it, until he receives the EARLY and LATTER RAIN. 8 Be ye also patient; stablish your hearts: for the coming of the Lord draweth nigh.

True faith in Christ is believing all that Christ has said in scripture. That kind of faith will cover a person with the blood of the New Covenant and only the Latter Rain of the Spirit will give a person this high level of faith.

2Cor 10:15 Not boasting of things without our measure, that is, of other men's labours; but having hope, when your faith is increased, that we shall be enlarged by you according to our rule abundantly, 16 To preach the gospel in the regions beyond you, and not to boast in another man's line of things made ready to our hand.

Paul knows that when a person receives the Latter Rain of the Spirit, their faith will be increased which will result in the person's conversion. Christ must give us both the Early and Latter Rains before we die if we are going to be one of the First Fruits of His harvest. If He does come two times to a person, they will receive their portion with the unbelievers in the final age (Luke 12:46).

Joe

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
@FaithWillDo

John 3:16
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

There in scripture is the proof that God loves the world, meaning all the people living in the world.

FaithWillDo

Mar 1, 2023
Fort Collins, CO, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@FaithWillDo ~

Regarding “works”…

One WORK any person can DO…
IS BELIEVE…(John 6:29)
That is ONE WORK, that leads to salvation…(not IS Salvation)…can still fall away from faith.

One SERVICE any person can DO…
IS CONFESS their Belief…(Rom 12:1)
That is ONE SERVICE, that is receipt of salvation (non-revocable).

“Work(S)” a person DOES to Glorify God…shall receive “Rewards” (crowns), received when the Lord returns.
Dear Taken,
Again, you are denying the truth that these verses below teach:

1Cor 12:3 Wherefore I give you to understand, that no man speaking by the Spirit of God calleth Jesus accursed: and that no man can say that Jesus is the Lord, but by the Holy Spirit.

Rom 3:10 As it is written, there is none righteous, no, not one: 11 There is none that understandeth, there is none that seeketh after God.

1Cor 2:14 But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.

Joe

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Dear Pearl,
Please read my post above which I just made to Taken. The gospel you are following is Satan's "another gospel" which mixes man's works with the works of Christ.
Joe
@FaithWillDo Absolutely not. I renounce evil I turned away in repentance many years ago. I am IN Christ and Christ is in ME. Now can you say the same? If you can why do you belittle me? And if you can't, why not?

Reactions: Ritajanice

FaithWillDo

Mar 1, 2023
Fort Collins, CO, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@FaithWillDo

John 3:16
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

There in scripture is the proof that God loves the world, meaning all the people living in the world.
Dear Pearl,
Yes, Christ loves the entire world (every single person) and because He does, He will come to each of us at a time of His choosing and give us the free gift of the Holy Spirit. With the Spirit, we will believe in Him and be saved. Without the Spirit, we will not believe.

Joe

FaithWillDo

Mar 1, 2023
Fort Collins, CO, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@FaithWillDo Absolutely not. I renounce evil I turned away in repentance many years ago. I am IN Christ and Christ is in ME. Now can you say the same? If you can why do you belittle me? And if you can't, why not?
Dear Pearl,
The pathway to salvation in this age is the same for all the Elect since Paul wrote 1Tim 1:16.

Also, I am not belittling you. However, you take it that way because you have a works based belief system. You believe that if you are not saved, it is your fault, therefore, you take offense. However, a converted person understands that if a person is not saved, it is only because Christ has not saved them yet.
Joe

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Dear Pearl,
Please read my post above which I just made to Taken. The gospel you are following is Satan's "another gospel" which mixes man's works with the works of Christ.
Dear Pearl,
Yes, Christ loves the entire world (every single person) and because He does, He will come to each of us at a time of His choosing and give us the free gift of the Holy Spirit. With the Spirit, we will believe in Him and be saved. Without the Spirit, we will not believe.
Seeing as I believe what you say here @FaithWillDo How do you explain your post to me in the earlier quote? Saying I am following Satan?

I absolutely know that I am definitely not following 'another gospel'. So could it be that it is you, yourself who is doing that?

Also be advised that if you accuse me of following Satan again I will report you.

Reactions: Ritajanice

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Dear Pearl,
The gospel you are following is Satan's "another gospel"

The pathway to salvation in this age is the same for all the Elect since Paul wrote 1Tim 1:16.

Also, I am not belittling you.
However, you take it that way because you have a works based belief system. You believe that if you are not saved, it is your fault, therefore, you take offense. However, a converted person understands that if a person is not saved, it is only because Christ has not saved them yet.
Joe
Joe, you say you are not belittling me, yet when you say to me that "The gospel [I am] are following is Satan's "another gospel. How is that not belittling? You are making assumptions here that are totally incorrect. Look to your self.

FaithWillDo

Mar 1, 2023
Fort Collins, CO, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Seeing as I believe what you say here @FaithWillDo How do you explain your post to me in the earlier quote? Saying I am following Satan?

I absolutely know that I am definitely not following 'another gospel'. So could it be that it is you, yourself who is doing that?

Also be advised that if you accuse me of following Satan again I will report you.
Dear Pearl,
You asked:
How do you explain your post to me in the earlier quote? Saying I am following Satan?

I say this because all new believers after they receive the Early Rain of the Spirit and are "called out" will become deceived by Satan and will fall away. For this reason, it is necessary for Christ to "come again" and give them the Latter Rain of the Spirit. With the Latter Rain, their spiritual blindness will be healed and they will then "see" the Abomination of Desolation that had previously occurred within themselves (the temple of God). This verse applies:

Mat 24:15 When ye therefore shall see the abomination of desolation, spoken of by Daniel the prophet, stand in the holy place, (whoso readeth, let him understand. 16 Then let them which be in Judaea flee into the mountains:

Christ explained below how the A of D happens to new believers:

Mat 12:43 When the unclean spirit is gone out of a man, he walketh through dry places, seeking rest, and findeth none. 44 Then he saith, I will return into my house from whence I came out; and when he is come, he findeth it empty, swept, and garnished. 45 Then goeth he, and taketh with himself SEVEN other spirits more wicked than himself, and they enter in and dwell there: and the last state of that man is worse than the first. Even so shall it be also unto this wicked generation.

The spiritual symbol of an unclean spirit represents a spirit which teaches Satan's false truth through lies and deceptions.

Since a new believer remains spiritually blind (Mark 8:21-25) after receiving the Early Rain of the Spirit, they cannot replace their worldly false beliefs with the truth of Christ. ONE unclean spirit leaves but comes back with SEVEN more. The number "seven" represents perfection. In this case, the number seven represents the perfection of Satan's lies/deceptions which come to a believer by the indwelling of the spirit of anti-Christ. Now, instead of ONE unclean spirit within the believer, they now have EIGHT. The number eight is a spiritual symbol which represents a new spiritual condition. In this case, the new spiritual condition is worse than the first.

This "worse than the first" spiritual condition causes the believer to become a False Prophet, a Man of Sin, a Minister of Satan and a Seven Headed Beast with Ten Horns & Crowns.

Christ explains below how powerful the deceptions of the spirit of anti-Christ are:

Mat 24:24 For there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall shew great signs and wonders; insomuch that, if it were possible, they shall deceive the very elect.

Satan's deceptions take advantage of mankind's carnal nature and because of such, a new believer readily becomes deceived by them. In the verse below, Christ explains that a new believer will always fall away and mix their own works (Old Covenant) with the works of Christ (New Covenant):

Luke 5:39 No man also having drunk old wine straightway desireth new: for he saith, The old is better.

The Old Wine represents the Old Covenant which is based upon man's works. After a new believer is given the Early Rain and tastes the New Covenant, they will say that the old is better. When coupled with the spirit of anti-Christ's deceptions, it is not possible for a new believer to remain faithful under the New Covenant. They will all fall from grace. I did and so does everyone else who is called out from the world.

This happens because it is God's "will" for it to happen.

Mat 4:4 But he answered and said, it is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God.

The pathway to salvation includes the leaven bread of Satan and not just the true bread from heaven. But because you believe in your own ability to follow Christ, you don't believe this verse applies to you. If you did, you would believe that the other verses I quoted above apply to you, too.

Because all of Christ's Elect will fall away after receiving the Early Rain of the Spirit, Christ will "come again" to them and pour out the Latter Rain upon them. With the Latter Rain, the person's spiritual blindness will be healed and they will see that they have been under Satan's deceptions all along. When this happens, judgment will fall on them and remove the spirit of anti-Christ and the Great Harlot (represents their carnal nature) from within them (Mat 24:40-41 & Rev 19:20).

What I have stated above is a very summarized pathway that Christ causes each of His Elect to travel during their lifetime. It happens because God directs their steps:

Phil 2:13 For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure.

Prov 20:24 Man's goings are of the LORD; how can a man then understand his own way?

Jer 10:23 I know, Jehovah, that the way of man is not his own; it is not in a man that walketh to direct his steps.

From our limited carnal abilities, we believe that we have a "free will" to direct our own steps but God's Word says that is not true. All things in this creation happen exactly as God has planned for them to happen from the beginning.

Isa 46:10 Declaring the end from the beginning, and from ancient times the things that are not yet done, saying, My counsel shall stand, and I will do all my pleasure: 11 Calling a ravenous bird from the east, the man that executeth my counsel from a far country: yea, I have spoken it, I will also bring it to pass; I have purposed it, I will also do it.

Isa 55:11 So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it.

Mankind's "will" is "reputed as nothing" for God to overcome:

Dan 4:35 And all the inhabitants of the earth are reputed as nothing; and he doeth according to his will in the army of the heavens, and among the inhabitants of the earth; and none can stay his hand, or say unto him, What doest thou?

For that reason, this scripture will surely be testified to be true by the end of the final age:

1Tim 2:3 For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Savior; 4 who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth. 5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus; 6 who gave himself a ransom for all, to be testified in due time.

You said:

I received the Early Rain in my late 20's and became very active in church. But all that changed when Christ came to me a second time and poured out the Latter Rain upon me. That was when Christ healed my spiritual blindness. I was 44 at that time and that is when I realized I was following Satan's "another gospel" which mixes works with faith just as you are following. That is also when I saw the A of D within myself. My conversion testimony is presented on my website which is shown below my member name.

You said:

So rather than blessing your enemies, you curse them?

Luke 6:27 But I say unto you which hear, Love your enemies, do good to them which hate you, 28 Bless them that curse you, and pray for them which despitefully use you.

I say the things I have said to you because of the love of Christ that is within me and not because I am trying to harm you in someway. I am following this scripture:

James 5:19 Brethren, if anyone among you wanders from the truth, and someone turns him back, 20 let him know that he who turns a sinner from the error of his way will save a soul from death and cover a multitude of sins.

Joe

Last edited:

FaithWillDo

Mar 1, 2023
Fort Collins, CO, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Joe, you say you are not belittling me, yet when you say to me that "The gospel [I am] are following is Satan's "another gospel. How is that not belittling? You are making assumptions here that are totally incorrect. Look to your self.
Dear Pearl,
I more fully explained my answer in my last post above.
Joe

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom

Sis, you are a beautiful child of the most high, hold your head up to God and Praise his Holy Name...for he alone knows you are his daughter in Christ.

These are the words I was led to speak over my beloved Sister in Christ....Praise God.

• Love
Reactions: Pearl

FaithWillDo

Mar 1, 2023
Fort Collins, CO, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Dear Pearl,
I forgot to mention that with my last post, that is all the time I have today to be on the forum. If I need to reply again, I will try to do so in the morning (as the Lord wills).
Joe

doctrox

Jun 11, 2019
global
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
From the OP:
Since we have these 3 examples of the word in the Holy Bible what do you believe a person who says they are Christian, or a Christian mean?

Born again shall be addressed whenever you want to put it in.

How and when was the word "Christian" first used? The term 'Christian' was used to describe a follower of Christ in terms of the world, from the world’s point of view. The pagans at Antioch called the apostles "Christians" first (Acts 11:26; 26:28) and used it derogatorily because the apostles didn’t follow the commercial world of the pagans. "Christian" is an adjective, not a noun. The substance is not in the word "Christian", the substance is in the heart of the man it is attempting to describe, and which the pagan user cannot see.

Christ never called himself a Christian, Christ never called his followers Christians. The apostles never called each other Christians. Christ never used an adjective to describe himself. So how are we to identify ourselves then? The disciples called each other, "brethren", "disciples", "apostles", "servants", "believers", "followers", "the faithful", "the elect", "the called", and "saints." We can also identify ourselves as "bondservants" of Christ.

The servants of Christ belong to the kingdom of God. If you do not belong to a certain kingdom, you are labeled or named by that kingdom to be of another kingdom. For example, people in the continent (kingdom) of North America call those from the continent (kingdom) of South America, South Americans; from Asia, Asians; from Africa, Africans; from Europe, Europeans. But South Americans don’t call themselves South Americans, Asians don’t call themselves Asians. Africans don’t call themselves Africans, and Europeans don’t call themselves Europeans. Do North Americans call themselves North Americans? When you introduce yourself to somebody, do you say, "Hi! I’m a North American!" No, you don’t, because those from the same kingdom do not place labels on themselves or others. If you are a constituent of a Kingdom, you do not name one in the same Kingdom any thing; but you call them according to the relation between the two of you (brother, sister, mother, father, workman, labourer, minister, bishop, deacon, etc). And who establishes the relation? The Lawgiver (Isaiah 33:22, James 4:12).

The term "Christian" was imposed upon the servants of Christ by Christ’s enemies living outside the Kingdom of God, to label those living in the Kingdom of God. Servants of Christ should not call themselves Christians, since this would imply that we are not from the Kingdom of God. Just like someone in Asia would not call themselves ‘Asians’, those living in Christ should not call themselves ‘Christians,’ because it would give the impression to others that you are from a different kingdom.

1 John 4:5, "They are of the world: therefore speak they of the world…"

As scripture says, those who are of the world speak of the world, and use the words of the world. By using the words of the world, or by using the words of another kingdom, you identify yourself as being of that kingdom. And, since the word "Christian" is a term of the world, it might be best to use the words of God to describe us.

Here are a few references:

"Christian: A follower of the religion of Christ [Note carefully that Christ never started a religion - John 7:16]. It is probable that the name Christian, like that of Nazarenes and Galileans, was given to the disciples of our Lord in reproach or contempt. What confirms this opinion is, that the people of Antioch in Syria, Acts 11:26, where they were first called Christians observed by Zosimus, Procopius, and Zonaras, to have been remarkable for their scurrilous jesting. Some have indeed thought that this name was given by the disciples to themselves; others, that it was imposed on them by divine authority; in either of which cases we should have met with it in the subsequent history of the Acts, and in the Apostolic Epistles, all of which were written some years after; whereas it is found but in two more places in the New Testament, Acts 26:28, where a Jew is the speaker, and in 1 Peter 4:16, where reference appears to be made to the name as imposed on them by their enemies. The word used, Acts 11:26, signifies simply to be called or named, and when Doddridge and a few others take to imply a divine appointment, they disregard the usus loquendi [established acceptation of the term] which gives no support to that opinion. The words Tacitus, when speaking of the Christians persecuted by Nero, are remarkable, ‘vulgus Christianos appellabat,’ ‘the vulgar call them Christians.’ Epiphanius says, that they were called Jesseans, either from Jesse, the father of David, or, which is much more probable, from the name of Jesus, whose disciples they were. They were denominated Christians, A. D. 42 or 43; and though the name was first given reproachfully, they gloried in it, as expressing their adherence to Christ, and they soon generally accepted it." Richard Watson, Watson’s Bible Dictionary (1832), p. 233.

"Cristianos, Christian: a word formally not after the Greek but after the Roman manner, denoting attachment to or adherents to Christ. Only occurs as used by others of them, not by Christians of themselves. Tacitus (A.D. 96) says (Annals 15, 44), ‘The vulgar call them Christians. The author or origin of this denomination, Christus, had, in the reign of Tiberius been executed by the procurator, Pontius Pilate.’" Ethelbert William Bullinger, A Critical Lexicon and Concordance of the English and Greek New Testament (1908), p. 152.

"This name (Christian) occurs but three times in the New Testament, and is never used by Christians of themselves, only as spoken by or coming from those without the church. The general names by which the early Christians called themselves were ‘brethren,’ ‘disciples,’ ‘believers,’ and ‘saints.’ The presumption is that the name ‘Christian’ was originated by the heathen." Thomas W. Doane, Bible Myths (1882), page 567, note 3.

"The name (Christian) given by the Greeks or Romans, probably in reproach, to the followers of Jesus. It was first used at Antioch." Easton’s Bible Dictionary.

"Egypt, which you commanded to me, my dearest Servianus, I have found to be wholly fickle and inconsistent, and continually wafted about every breath of fame. The worshippers of Serapis (here) are called Christians, and those who are devoted to the god Serapis (I find), call themselves Bishops of Christ." The Emperor Adrian to Servianus, written A.D. 134.

If you go to Zodhiates Word Studies, he tells you that when they were called Christians at Antioch, using the word ‘crematezo,’ it was a "divine warning." In other words, be forewarned, avoid this word and the use of it. And that’s what the apostles did. You will never read any of these New Testament writers using the term ‘christian’ to describe themselves.

What about 1 Peter 4:16?

"Yet if any man suffer as a Christian, let him not be ashamed; but let him glorify God on this behalf."

First of all, keep in mind this is the one and only place in the entire scripture this word is used by any man of God. Secondly, Peter did not label the followers of Christ a "Christian" in the passage. Read it again, very carefully. He said they were to be "as a Christian." This is very important. The word as means "like or similar to," but it does not mean one is that word. For example:

1. Genesis 49:9, "...he couched as a lion," does not mean Judah was a lion when he couched!

2. Exodus 15:5, "...they sank into the bottom as a stone," does not mean they were a stone when they sank.

3. Matthew 17:20, "...If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed," does not mean faith is a mustard seed.

4. Matthew 23:37, "...gathered thy children together, even as a hen gathereth her chickens," does not mean God's children were chickens.

5. Ephesians 5:25, "Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ," does not mean husbands are Christ when they love their wives.

And, therefore:

1 Peter 4:16, "Yet if any man suffer as a Christian," does not mean man is a Christian when they suffer.

When someone is "as" something else, it does not mean one is that something. It means we are similar, in some way, to that name, but we are not literally that name. You see, the heathens are the ones who called the followers of Christ "Christians" (Acts 11:26; 26:28). When Peter was referring to the title "Christian, " it is in the context of suffering, and is in reference to the name as imposed upon them by their enemies, because our enemies want us to suffer.

Another question:

Isaiah 62:2, "...and thou shalt be called by a new name, which the mouth of the LORD shall name."

Does not the word "Christian" fulfil this verse?

If you read this verse in context, and read two verses further, you will actually see what this "new name" is that God will call them.

Isaiah 62:4, "Thou shalt no more be termed Forsaken; neither shall thy land any more be termed Desolate: but thou shalt be called Hephzibah..." Hephzibah means "pleasure." This is the "new name" referred to in verse 2. This is the context. It is not referring to the name "Christian." In scripture, a name refers to one's "character."

Last edited:

Jim C

Sep 5, 2023
Lynnwood
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
All born again are Christian, i.e. followers of Christ.
All who claim the title 'Christian' aren't necessarily born again.

Jesus speaks to this indirectly in Matthew 7:21-23

21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.

22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?

23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

Last edited:

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Dear Taken,
The scriptures which I posted (and which you ignored) contradict what you stated. Why do you not believe those scriptures?

Concerning John 12:44-48, the only people who can believe on Christ are the children of God who all have the indwelling of the Holy Spirit.

People who DO believe, not CAN believe.

And? Not news. Who is speaking Against Jesus, that you are posting that to me?

The children of the Devil (all mankind) cannot believe on Christ - it is not possible because mankind has no faith of their own and has no ability to acquire any. Faith must be given to us by Christ via the Holy Spirit. With the Spirit, we become a new creation.

No, all of manKIND is NOT of the Devil.
Faith is a GIFT given for HEARING, “without” SEEING.
One DAY ALL will “SEE” the Son of man, JESUS, believe and bow down to Him.
Yet, there is a difference between BELIEVING, and having had Confessed ones belief, and WHEN.

We are all completely at the mercy of Christ to save us. We have no ability to contribute anything to our salvation - especially faith in Christ.

Disagree, in part.
Yes Christ Jesus IS the Savior.
A man “contributes”….
His Word of Belief and His Bodily Life.

Scripture says that the Father sent Christ to save the world:

1John 4:14 And we have seen and do testify that the Father sent the Son to be the Savior of the world.

Not news.

And that is exactly what Christ will do:

No. Not all shall be Saved.

Forced, compulsion making a man LOVE God…..? No. The choice IS up to individual manKIND….God simply Knows who will and will not CHOOSE / ELLECT Him, and has prepared a place, outcome for those wIth and without Him.

In this present age, Christ is only saving the people who have been chosen for this blessing from the foundation of the world. They are the First Fruits of His harvest of mankind. The remaining harvest of mankind will occur in the final age when all mankind (except the First Fruits) is judged by the Law:

Too convoluted.

Mat 23:23 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law: justice, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone.

Your judgment is like the judgment of the Pharisees.

Gaslighter.

Your belief in mixing man's works (Old Covenant) with the works of Christ (New Covenant)

Your error.

A work OF manKIND…not Christ I mentioned and gave the NT reverence John 6:29.

Works OF manKIND….not Christ I mentioned is Glorifying God, which such person becomes a recipient of a REWARD from the Lord…NT…
Rom 2:6
Rev 22:12

James 5:7 Be patient therefore, brethren, unto the coming of the Lord. Behold, the farmer waiteth for the precious fruit of the earth, and hath long patience for it, until he receives the EARLY and LATTER RAIN. 8 Be ye also patient; stablish your hearts: for the coming of the Lord draweth nigh.

And? Not news.

True faith in Christ is believing all that Christ has said in scripture. That kind of faith will cover a person with the blood of the New Covenant and only the Latter Rain of the Spirit will give a person this high level of faith.

Nothing new. Preaching to the choir.