BREAKING OF BREAD

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Joseph77

Apr 1, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, and I am pleased to say that there has been a resurgence in the celebration of the Passover meal as many Christians now are wanting to experience it for themselves so they have got together to try and replicate an authentic Passover meal. There is a synagogue about an hour's drive from where I live that puts on a Passover meal for gentiles to enable them to experience the Jewish way.
Like Jesus Lived !

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
...However, when one studies all of the passage and the meaning of words in Greek, you find out that is has nothing at all to do with the Lord's supper.... One has to draw a longbow to make this a bread/sip scenario as first the NT Church did not have a bread/sip scenario but they did have communal meals all the time. In this case, to make this passage a bread/sip scenario, you have to ignore the meat of it... So let's start with verse 20 where it says that it is not the Lord's supper you eat... This instruction was given as part of the Passover meal which the church celebrated once a year because it was a Jewish church that did not stop being Jews so they would have adopted the Jewish feasts.
If we are to believe you, Christians were simply continuing the annual observance of Passover, and in the meantime simply having *communal meals* without the Lord's Supper. THIS IS PATENTLY FALSE and both the New Testament and the witness of Christians about 100 years later will prove that. Also, the Corinthian church was not a Jewish church, but composed of both Jews and Gentiles (primarily Gentiles).

I. 1 Corinthians 11 is about the proper observance of Christian worship in the apostolic churches.

A. Christian women were to cover their heads during worship and this was an ordinance (vv 1-16)

B. The Corinthian church was full of contentions,heresies, and misbehavior (vv 17-19)

C. The Lord's Supper was NOT being properly observed hence "
When ye come together therefore into one place, this is not to eat the Lord's Supper [...but to desecrate it with your rude behavior, thus violating the principle of genuine fellowship]. (v 20-22)

[Note:the fellowship meal was being held before worship. Fellowship is koinonia in Greek and communion in English. Hence Paul connects the Lord's Supper with communion in 1 Cor 10:16-17]

The cup of blessing which we bless, is it not the communion (koinonia) of the blood of Christ? The bread which we break, is it not the communion (koinonia) of the body of Christ? For we being many are one bread, and one body: for we are all partakers of that one bread.

D. It is the Lord Jesus Christ Himself who directly instructed Paul regarding the PROPER observance of the WEEKLY Remembrance Feast (v 23): For I have received of the Lord that which also I delivered unto you...
[Note:for confirmation of the weekly observance of the Breaking of Bread see Acts 20:6-12. For the weekly worship of Christians on the Lord's Day see Rev 1:10 and 1 Cor 16:1-3.]

E. The Lord's Supper was unique to Christian churches and had nothing to do with the Jewish Passover (vv 23-34) And this is confirmed here also:

II. I Corinthians 5 reveals a weekly gathering, not Passover

A. A SINNING CHRISTIAN REMOVED FROM FELLOWSHIP
4 In the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, when ye are gathered together, and my spirit, with the power of our Lord Jesus Christ,
5 To deliver such an one unto Satan for the destruction of the flesh, that the spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord Jesus.
6 Your glorying is not good. Know ye not that a little leaven leaveneth the whole lump?

B. CHRISTIANS ARE UNLEAVENED BREAD
7 Purge out therefore the old leaven, that ye may be a new lump, as ye are unleavened...

C. CHRIST HIMSELF IS OUR PASSOVER LAMB
...For even Christ our Passover is sacrificed for us:...

D. THE REMEMBRANCE FEAST IS A WEEKLY FEAST
8 Therefore let us keep the feast, not with old leaven, neither with the leaven of malice and wickedness; but with the unleavened bread of sincerity and truth.
[Note: unleavened bread represented sincerity and truth, leaven represented sin -- malice and wickedness. But because Christ FULFILLED the Feast of Passover, it is not to be observed by Christians any longer. Rather the Lord's Supper is a weekly Remembrance Feast]

III. Justin Martyr confirms these FACTS one hundred years later

Justin Martyr on the Lord’s Supper in 160 AD
And this food is called among us Εὐχαριστία [the Eucharist], of which no one is allowed to partake but the man who believes that the things which we teach are true, and who has been washed with the washing that is for the remission of sins, and unto regeneration, [Note: this is where the Catholic Church got its doctrine of baptismal regeneration, which we do not need to accept, since it is false] and who is so living as Christ has enjoined. For not as common bread and common drink do we receive these; but in like manner as Jesus Christ our Savior, having been made flesh by the Word of God, had both flesh and blood for our salvation, so likewise have we been taught that the food which is blessed by the prayer of His word, and from which our blood and flesh by transmutation are nourished, is the flesh and blood of that Jesus who was made flesh. [Note: This is where the Catholic Church got its false teaching of Transubstatiation, which we do not need to accept, since that too is false]

For the apostles, in the memoirs composed by them, which are called Gospels, have thus delivered unto us what was enjoined upon them; that Jesus took bread, and when He had given thanks, said, “This do in remembrance of Me, this is My body;” and that, after the same manner, having taken the cup and given thanks, He said, “This is My blood.”

And on the day called Sunday, all who live in cities or in the country gather together to one place, and the memoirs of the apostles or the writings of the prophets are read, as long as time permits; then, when the reader has ceased, the president verbally instructs and exhorts to the imitation of these good things.

Then we all rise together and pray, and, as we said before, when our prayer is ended, bread and wine and water are brought, and the president in like manner offers prayers and thanksgivings according to his ability, and the people assent, saying Amen; and there is a distribution to each, and a participation of that over which thanks have been given, and to those who are absent a portion is sent by the deacons.

Note: This quotation from Justin is not to support Catholic teachings but to confirm that the Lord's Supper was observed weekly on the first day of the week (which he calls Sunday and which the apostle John called "the Lord's Day").

Reactions: Stan B

marksman

My eldest granddaughter showing the result of her
Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
If we are to believe you, Christians were simply continuing the annual observance of Passover, and in the meantime simply having *communal meals* without the Lord's Supper. THIS IS PATENTLY FALSE and both the New Testament and the witness of Christians about 100 years later will prove that. Also, the Corinthian church was not a Jewish church, but composed of both Jews and Gentiles (primarily Gentiles).

I. 1 Corinthians 11 is about the proper observance of Christian worship in the apostolic churches.

A. Christian women were to cover their heads during worship and this was an ordinance (vv 1-16)

B. The Corinthian church was full of contentions,heresies, and misbehavior (vv 17-19)

When ye come together therefore into one place, this is not to eat the Lord's Supper [...but to desecrate it with your rude behavior, thus violating the principle of genuine fellowship]. (v 20-22)

[Note:the fellowship meal was being held before worship. Fellowship is koinonia in Greek and communion in English. Hence Paul connects the Lord's Supper with communion in 1 Cor 10:16-17]

The cup of blessing which we bless, is it not the communion (koinonia) of the blood of Christ? The bread which we break, is it not the communion (koinonia) of the body of Christ? For we being many are one bread, and one body: for we are all partakers of that one bread.

D. It is the Lord Jesus Christ Himself who directly instructed Paul regarding the PROPER observance of the WEEKLY Remembrance Feast (v 23): For I have received of the Lord that which also I delivered unto you...
[Note:for confirmation of the weekly observance of the Breaking of Bread see Acts 20:6-12. For the weekly worship of Christians on the Lord's Day see Rev 1:10 and 1 Cor 16:1-3.]

E. The Lord's Supper was unique to Christian churches and had nothing to do with the Jewish Passover (vv 23-34) And this is confirmed here also:

4 In the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, when ye are gathered together, and my spirit, with the power of our Lord Jesus Christ,
5 To deliver such an one unto Satan for the destruction of the flesh, that the spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord Jesus.
6 Your glorying is not good. Know ye not that a little leaven leaveneth the whole lump?

7 Purge out therefore the old leaven, that ye may be a new lump, as ye are unleavened...

8 Therefore let us keep the feast, not with old leaven, neither with the leaven of malice and wickedness; but with the unleavened bread of sincerity and truth.
[Note: unleavened bread represented sincerity and truth, leaven represented sin -- malice and wickedness. But because Christ FULFILLED the Feast of Passover, it is not to be observed by Christians any longer. Rather the Lord's Supper is a weekly Remembrance Feast]

And this food is called among us Εὐχαριστία [the Eucharist], of which no one is allowed to partake but the man who believes that the things which we teach are true, and who has been washed with the washing that is for the remission of sins, and unto regeneration, [Note: this is where the Catholic Church got its doctrine of baptismal regeneration, which we do not need to accept, since it is false] and who is so living as Christ has enjoined. For not as common bread and common drink do we receive these; but in like manner as Jesus Christ our Savior, having been made flesh by the Word of God, had both flesh and blood for our salvation, so likewise have we been taught that the food which is blessed by the prayer of His word, and from which our blood and flesh by transmutation are nourished, is the flesh and blood of that Jesus who was made flesh. [Note: This is where the Catholic Church got its false teaching of Transubstatiation, which we do not need to accept, since that too is false]

For the apostles, in the memoirs composed by them, which are called Gospels, have thus delivered unto us what was enjoined upon them; that Jesus took bread, and when He had given thanks, said, “This do in remembrance of Me, this is My body;” and that, after the same manner, having taken the cup and given thanks, He said, “This is My blood.”

And on the day called Sunday, all who live in cities or in the country gather together to one place, and the memoirs of the apostles or the writings of the prophets are read, as long as time permits; then, when the reader has ceased, the president verbally instructs and exhorts to the imitation of these good things.

Then we all rise together and pray, and, as we said before, when our prayer is ended, bread and wine and water are brought, and the president in like manner offers prayers and thanksgivings according to his ability, and the people assent, saying Amen; and there is a distribution to each, and a participation of that over which thanks have been given, and to those who are absent a portion is sent by the deacons.

Note: This quotation from Justin is not to support Catholic teachings but to confirm that the Lord's Supper was observed weekly on the first day of the week (which he calls Sunday and which the apostle John called "the Lord's Day").

Can I suggest that rather than attacking me, you should have started up your own thread to present your own ideas? What you have done is rather ungracious and lacking in Christian character.

Stan B

Jul 21, 2019
Toronto
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I did not expect such a nonsensical statement from you. If 1 Corinthians 11:20-34 is not about the Lord's Supper, then nothing is. It seems that you are promoting some very quirky doctrines recently (or has it been all along?).

The proper way to understand that passage is that the early Christians first had a fellowship meal, which was then followed up by a worship service during which the Breaking of Bread (the Lord's Supper) took place.

Paul was rebuking the ones who were failing to share in true fellowship (since some remained hungry), while some were over-indulging and even getting drunk.
Indeed, the early Christians had their weekly fellowship meal, but as I read the traditions of the Early Church Fathers, it was a common practice of early Christians to begin their evening meal with blessings over their bread and wine in commemoration of their Lord.

marksman

Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

One. I never said it was a Jewish church. I said that wherever Paul went, the first place he went to was the synagogue to preach the gospel. That means the first converts in any church were Jews, who did not become gentiles.

And I would appreciate it if you can show me where what I said is patently false.

The first day of the week in the original is translated as one of the sabbaths.

Can you provide scripture that says the Passover is a weekly meeting?

Where does it say they had a meeting after the fellowship meal in 1 Corinthians 11?

As I understand it they didn't have meetings. They met together for fellowship, prayer, apostles teaching and meals.

If we are to believe you, Christians were simply continuing the annual observance of Passover, and in the meantime simply having *communal meals* without the Lord's Supper.

Can you show me where it is patently false?

Therefore let us keep the feast, not with old leaven, neither with the leaven of malice and wickedness; but with the unleavened bread of sincerity and truth.

Can you show me in scripture where it says that this a weekly feast?

My exegesis was of 1 Corinthians 11 not 1 Corinthians 10 so if you want to do an exegesis of 1 Corinthians 10 please do. And can you explain to me what you mean by worship?

marksman

Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Indeed, the early Christians had their weekly fellowship meal, but as I read the traditions of the Early Church Fathers, it was a common practice of early Christians to begin their evening meal with blessings over their bread and wine in commemoration of their Lord.

If we are to accept what it says in the book fo Acts, they met together daily not weekly.

Reactions: Marymog

Stan B

Jul 21, 2019
Toronto
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Back in the mid 1990's, the Church I attended did the Seder every year. No wine of course, but let me tell you...when all was said and done...we sure did a LOT of drinking grape juice, lol. I can only imagine how much wine they drank during their Passover meals! Well, it takes place over a good period of time so, hopefully the time it took for their next glass of wine, a good amount of time and food past, lol.
The Seder involves 4 cups of wine! Not something you would consume at a restaurant and then dare to drive home!!

Reactions: marksman and Nancy

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't as a practice use other people's work and pass it off as mine.

And as I said at the beginning I am working with a literal translation of scripture. which does not say what you say it does.
Well then I am impressed that you did all that research and typing!

I am still curious though. What is your interpretation of that passage? (Is not the cup of thanksgiving for which we give thanks a participation in the blood of Christ? And is not the bread that we break a participation in the body of Christ?)

Curious Mary

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I did not comment on v 30 as it was not essential in the explanation of the meal. As I said I was not going to comment on the passage verse by verse. However, when I read that verse I think of Ananias and Saphira dropping dead because they told a lie. That and verse 30 reminds us that following Jesus in those days was a serious preoccupation and could have dramatic consequences if you disobeyed the Lord.

As I said throughout the whole teaching there was NO bread/sip of wine scenario.

I did not add the word meat in v 33. It is there in the original Greek.
Thank you marksman.

I would like some clarification. I have searched the Greek translation of VS 33 and can't find ANY translation that has the word "meat" in it. It does have the word "eat" in it.

You previously said,
"And when the word 'eat' is used it means meat as in verse 33". Can you clarify that discrepancy?

Mary

marksman

Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Thank you marksman.

I would like some clarification. I have searched the Greek translation of VS 33 and can't find ANY translation that has the word "meat" in it. It does have the word "eat" in it.

You previously said,
"And when the word 'eat' is used it means meat as in verse 33". Can you clarify that discrepancy?

Mary
Simple. In the original Greek, the linguists record the fact that what is translated as eat does in fact in its basic form mean meat.

marksman

Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Well then I am impressed that you did all that research and typing!

I am still curious though. What is your interpretation of that passage? (Is not the cup of thanksgiving for which we give thanks a participation in the blood of Christ? And is not the bread that we break a participation in the body of Christ?)

Curious Mary
You interpret it in the light of the rest of the verses in 1 Corinthians 11. I was taught that the best commentary on the Bible was the bible so one can find confirmation of truth by searching the Bible. In many cases when looking up a particular word, I find that this word and its meaning in greek appears for example 35 times in the New Testament. What that means is that in 35 places that word has been used with the same meaning in those 35 contexts. So I need to find out what those 35 contexts are as contexts are everything.

That particular passage as I said in my own writings that taking part in Passover eating and drinking means you are partaking in the same lot as Jesus was going to suffer. He was going to die and we are called to die to ourselves meaning we are going to experience the same lot as Jesus did

Bearing in mind the fact that what is being talked about here is an annual Passover meal not a weekly bread/sip thing, he was saying that it was a time to remember what it has been all about and don't weaken in your desire to share the lot Jesus had.

And as I said it does not mean drinking blood or eating flesh because that was forbidden in Judaism.

marksman

Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
That might have worked for them, but most of us have jobs to go to each day.

And the New Testament saints had jobs to go to or businesses to run. What they didn't have was I pads, computers, cars, books, theatre shows, five-day working weeks, family that lived the other side of the continent, basketball, cricket and so on. In other words all the distractions that we have that prevent us from being the body of Christ.

I am convinced that if Satan can keep you active and busy with this that and the other he is very happy as you don't have time to be a Christian.

Reactions: Nancy

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Simple. In the original Greek, the linguists record the fact that what is translated as eat does in fact in its basic form mean meat.
Hmmmm.....I cant find anything on the internet to back up what you are saying. Can you provide me a link?

Thank you in advance.....Mary

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You interpret it in the light of the rest of the verses in 1 Corinthians 11. I was taught that the best commentary on the Bible was the bible so one can find confirmation of truth by searching the Bible. In many cases when looking up a particular word, I find that this word and its meaning in greek appears for example 35 times in the New Testament. What that means is that in 35 places that word has been used with the same meaning in those 35 contexts. So I need to find out what those 35 contexts are as contexts are everything.

That particular passage as I said in my own writings that taking part in Passover eating and drinking means you are partaking in the same lot as Jesus was going to suffer. He was going to die and we are called to die to ourselves meaning we are going to experience the same lot as Jesus did

Bearing in mind the fact that what is being talked about here is an annual Passover meal not a weekly bread/sip thing, he was saying that it was a time to remember what it has been all about and don't weaken in your desire to share the lot Jesus had.

And as I said it does not mean drinking blood or eating flesh because that was forbidden in Judaism.
Thank you.

It is true that drinking blood or eating flesh was forbidden for the Jews....but they were no longer Jews. They were Christians following Jesus when he declared all foods clean (Mk 7:19). His command superseded the earlier command that certain foods be regarded as unclean.

Paul CLEARLY asks (rhetorically) is it not a participation in the body/blood of Christ. Paul makes it CLEAR he believes that's what it is...not a mere meal of bread/wine.

I thank you for your time.

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
PART TWO

This passage of scripture is used time and time again to justify giving people a bit of bread and a sip of wine under the heading of the Lord's Supper. However, when one studies all of the passage and the meaning of words in Greek, you find out that is has nothing at all to do with the Lord's supper.

there is more to this bread and wine:

this is the first place bread is mentioned

Gen 3:19  In the sweat of thy face shalt thou eat bread, till thou return unto the ground; for out of it was thou taken: for dust thou art, and unto dust shalt thou return. (the sustenance of the life the sons of man are born into in this world)

this is the first place wine is mention
Gen_9:21  And he drank of the wine, and was drunken; and he was uncovered within his tent. (meaning Noah who found Grace in God's sight.)

the second place bread and or wine is mentioned
Gen_14:18  And Melchizedek king of Salem brought forth bread and wine: and he was the priest of the most high God. (the High Priest of the Most High God brings the bread and wine to the man of Faith.)

Jesus brings the sustenance of the Life in Christ (bread) and the (wine) in His words blood which is to be understood as the Life. hence Jesus brought from God the Life and the sustenance of that Life to the sons of Abraham, and through them to the rest of the world.

therefore the act to receive with physical bread and wine is a gospel message and show of agreement in the belief and trust in the resurrection of Christ that He has brought from God the Life and the sustenance for that Life to us that Jesus Christ lives.

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
PART TWO
This passage of scripture is used time and time again to justify giving people a bit of bread and a sip of wine under the heading of the Lord's Supper. However, when one studies all of the passage and the meaning of words in Greek, you find out that is has nothing at all to do with the Lord's supper.

This passage is Paul's instruction on how to conduct themselves during their communal meals and was necessary as some things were happening that were bringing the gathering into disrepute explained by Paul as not discerning the body of the Lord.
Hi marksman,

Are you suggesting that everything Paul speaks of AFTER VS 19 is a 'communal meal'? Or at some point does he transition into talking about The Lords Last Supper on earth?

Bible study Mary

marksman

Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Hi marksman,

Are you suggesting that everything Paul speaks of AFTER VS 19 is a 'communal meal'? Or at some point does he transition into talking about The Lords Last Supper on earth?

Bible study Mary

! Corinthians 11 is Paul setting out expected behaviour when the church came together for a meal. As I said, the bread/sip idea was unknown to them.

marksman

Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
there is more to this bread and wine:

this is the first place bread is mentioned

Gen 3:19  In the sweat of thy face shalt thou eat bread, till thou return unto the ground; for out of it was thou taken: for dust thou art, and unto dust shalt thou return. (the sustenance of the life the sons of man are born into in this world)

this is the first place wine is mention
Gen_9:21  And he drank of the wine, and was drunken; and he was uncovered within his tent. (meaning Noah who found Grace in God's sight.)

the second place bread and or wine is mentioned
Gen_14:18  And Melchizedek king of Salem brought forth bread and wine: and he was the priest of the most high God. (the High Priest of the Most High God brings the bread and wine to the man of Faith.)

Jesus brings the sustenance of the Life in Christ (bread) and the (wine) in His words blood which is to be understood as the Life. hence Jesus brought from God the Life and the sustenance of that Life to the sons of Abraham, and through them to the rest of the world.

therefore the act to receive with physical bread and wine is a gospel message and show of agreement in the belief and trust in the resurrection of Christ that He has brought from God the Life and the sustenance for that Life to us that Jesus Christ lives.

My posts were an exegesis of 1 Corinthians 11, not a general discussion of bread and wine.

marksman

Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Thank you.

It is true that drinking blood or eating flesh was forbidden for the Jews....but they were no longer Jews. They were Christians following Jesus when he declared all foods clean (Mk 7:19). His command superseded the earlier command that certain foods be regarded as unclean.

Paul CLEARLY asks (rhetorically) is it not a participation in the body/blood of Christ. Paul makes it CLEAR he believes that's what it is...not a mere meal of bread/wine.

I thank you for your time.

That is debatable. In Acts, it makes it very clear that they were still Jews as they gathered in the temple regularly. The difference is that they were jews who were members of "The Way" who followed Jesus. Human blood and flesh were not included in unclean foods as that was a general prohibition for all Jews.

What 1 Corinthians makes very clear is that it was a feast.

Last edited:
Reactions: Stan B and Nancy