Calling all Law Keepers.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
Exactly...
What is this a chauffeur driven limo we are in?
Does Christ say "oh don't worry you can sin all you want in your own little mind as long as you sit back and let me do the driving. If God was intending to do the driving for man then why waste 6 thousand years just to put people on autopilot? lol
LOL
Pretty funny!
A pastor of mine in the Nazarene church used to say that God is our navigator
NOT the DRIVER!!!

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
Indeed, Jesus is our example and we should follow and do likewise. But, we need to be clear: it is not we who do perfect, but Christ in us.
Scott,
Do you realize what you're saying?
If it is NOT US who DO but Jesus in us,
it means that when we sin it is JESUS sinning
OR failing to keep us from sinning.

Some concepts are a little difficult to grasp, but grasp them we must or our theology gets twisted out of shape.

We have the Holy Spirit dwelling in us. Some verses say, not I but Christ lives in me...

This means that we have been freed from the power of satan.
We have returned to the relationship we had with God before Adam and Eve sinned --- (well, almost!)
We are again living with God and He is part of us.

But we should not say that it's Jesus doing anything...
It's US doing...when we obey and do good, and when we don't and do bad --- it's always us.

The Holy Spirit can tell us not to steal that pen, but it's OUR ARM AND HAND that moves to steal it.

How do you possibly mean that Christ does everything?
Maybe I'm not understanding you...

Reactions: KBCid

Armadillo

Aug 11, 2017
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Jesus followed and obeyed the law. Jesus is our example.
teaching others to not follow the example of Christ makes no sense to me.

You are like Jesus in this world.

1 John 4:17, This is how love is made complete among us so that we will have confidence on the day of judgment: In this world we are like Jesus.

You are complete in Him.

Colossians 2:10, and in Christ you have been brought to fullness. He is the head over every power and authority.

Reactions: Helen

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Scott,

Some concepts are a little difficult to grasp, but grasp them we must or our theology gets twisted out of shape.

We have the Holy Spirit dwelling in us. Some verses say, not I but Christ lives in me...

This means that we have been freed from the power of satan.
We have returned to the relationship we had with God before Adam and Eve sinned --- (well, almost!)
We are again living with God and He is part of us.

But we should not say that it's Jesus doing anything...
It's US doing...when we obey and do good, and when we don't and do bad --- it's always us.

The Holy Spirit can tell us not to steal that pen, but it's OUR ARM AND HAND that moves to steal it.

Not exactly...

"To live is Christ." But we drag around that old corpse until physical death. So, if we do not "rightly divide" what is true of Christ in us and is finished, from what is unfinished in us...we misrepresent the truth. Allow me to explain:

If these things are true, if "it is no longer we who live but Christ in us", "if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new", "The last enemy that will be destroyed is death", and if with Christ, "It is finished"...then all that is "unfinished" is death.

But, many will say that the world goes on, and it does - but that is the world. Do not be confused, because you see those who are not yet saved and those who are being saved even now, that it is not finished as Christ has said - No, but rather, you are witnessing "death being swallowed up in victory."

Nothing else remains. Therefore...what remains in the flesh, is not of Christ, but of the world. Nor can He sin who is no longer of the world, but has passed on having become the spirit of God. For this reason, He did not commit His flesh to the Father, but His spirit only.

KBCid

Dec 22, 2011
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
LOL
Pretty funny!
A pastor of mine in the Nazarene church used to say that God is our navigator
NOT the DRIVER!!!

It would appear then that your friend has a clue because that IS what is meant by the helper. When Christ said he would send another helper he also defined what that helper would do;
John 14:26 But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name , He will teach you all things. And He will help you remember everything that I have told you.

If the Holy spirit is doing what Christ says he will do then, he is teaching you and helping you remember his words. This is only relevant if YOU ARE the driver and if you are ACTING of your own volition and are directing your own steps. How could anyone rationalize any other reality on this subject..... and yet in the age of instant satisfaction that is exactly what people want to believe.

If YOU love me....;
John 14:15If ye love me, keep my commandments.
16And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever; 17Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.

If YOU love me then YOU will keep my commandments.
AND THEN I will ask the father to send you a helper to do exactly that..... since he knows you cannot by your understanding alone be perfect in doing this. This is love that you HELP your neighbor, wife, son, daughter...

Matt 12:48 Who is my mother? and who are my brethren? 49 And he stretched forth his hand toward his disciples, and said, Behold my mother and my brethren! 50 For whosoever shall do the will of my Father which is in heaven, the same is my brother, and sister, and mother.

Reactions: Richard_oti

KBCid

Dec 22, 2011
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Scott,
OR failing to keep us from sinning....

Oh you are definitely not misunderstanding him. I long ago gave up on rational discussion with that one. He imagines that Christ is chauffeuring him to heaven and he is conforming him into the being that God wants him to be without any input from him at all other than the obligatory "I believe in you" from the back seat.

KBCid

Dec 22, 2011
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus followed and obeyed the law. Jesus is our example.
teaching others to not follow the example of Christ makes no sense to me.

It makes sense to them because they have sought for the easy way out. The no effort required Mcdonald's of salvation.

Psalm 119:1 Blessed are those whose way is blameless, who walk in the law of the LORD! 2 Blessed are those who keep his testimonies, who seek him with their whole heart, 3 who also do no wrong, but walk in his ways! 4 you have commanded your precepts to be kept diligently. 5 O that my ways may be steadfast in keeping your statutes!

17 Deal bountifully with your servant, that I may live and observe your word. 18 Open my eyes, that I may behold wondrous things out of your law.

33 Teach ME, O LORD, the way of your statutes; and "I" will keep it to the end. 34 Give ME understanding, that "I" may keep your law and observe it with MY whole heart. (The Holy spirit is the fulfillment of this verse)

jaybird

Feb 29, 2016
Indeed, Jesus is our example and we should follow and do likewise. But, we need to be clear: it is not we who do perfect, but Christ in us.
i agree. so what is "Christ in us"? would that not be faith in the Most High just as Jesus had Faith in the Most High, Jesus always said His works were not of Him but the one who sent Him. when Peter walked on water with Jesus but sank, Jesus didnt tell him that was something only the Christ could do, He told him he needed stronger faith. IMO Jesus expected Peter to walk on the water just the same as He walked.

Reactions: pia and KBCid

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
Scott,
good point
this is also true, in dying to self.

but either can be taken too far i guess

Richard_oti

Mar 17, 2008
And what does it really mean to repent?
Is it ok to say i'm sorry for trespassing the moral laws Lord but I can't help doing it... So, will you forgive me anyway and I'll just keep on doing the same thing I know is wrong.
Yes I know you know.
<looks around> Who? Me? Is there a "dislike" button around here? <grin>

In response to your second and third sentences, the answer is no. As for your fourth sentence: In the words of Sergeant Schultz: "I hear nothing! I see nothing! I know nothing!" (Hogan's Heroes for those of you who may not know). Thanks for putting me on the spot KBCid!

I don't have or follow a specific formula or routine. Something like you would find on some tract. It depends(ed) for me upon the severity or frequency of such a thing, and with regard to whom the transgression was involved.

BTW: I may be guilty of murder here KBCid, am I gonna need to repent of this one? <hearty chuckle>

I speak rather openly and honestly with Abba. My first reaction, depending upon the "sin", is either anger at myself followed by sorrow, or straight to the sorrow. The sorrow, I can not describe... Which leaves me to confess, make restoration (if necessary), and finally, "to turn" from the error of my ways, and to begin to move forward. For that is what repent is, to be sorry, to rue ones actions, and to turn away from wrongdoing. Which by the action of turning away, is to acknowledge the way of Abba. And, to learn from my "mistake". I noticed I was a very slow learner when I was younger with regard to some things.

The hardest on me, were those of ignorance when I was younger. When I had studied, thought I had it all figured out and acted upon it. Only to find out that I had missed one key verse.

Thanks again KBCid! I'll be sure to repay the favor! <chuckle>

pia

May 30, 2009
West Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
i agree. so what is "Christ in us"? would that not be faith in the Most High just as Jesus had Faith in the Most High, Jesus always said His works were not of Him but the one who sent Him. when Peter walked on water with Jesus but sank, Jesus didnt tell him that was something only the Christ could do, He told him he needed stronger faith. IMO Jesus expected Peter to walk on the water just the same as He walked.
Peter did walk on the water toward Jesus, until he feared because of the size of the waves...It seems to always be doubt and /or fear which prevent us from going on to do what Jesus said believers would do....We must learn to not mix our faith with doubt, it won't work...

Reactions: Helen and jaybird

Dcopymope

May 22, 2016
Motor City
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Peter did walk on the water toward Jesus, until he feared because of the size of the waves...It seems to always be doubt and /or fear which prevent us from going on to do what Jesus said believers would do....We must learn to not mix our faith with doubt, it won't work...

And people say our will cannot have any effect on the will of God and our faith in him, well Peter's will certainly did. I however wonder how Peter's fall in the water because of his doubt compares to the following scripture.

(Matthew 17:20-21) "And Jesus said unto them, Because of your unbelief: for verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you. {21} Howbeit this kind goeth not out but by prayer and fasting."

Apparently peter's faith at that point wasn't even the size of a mustard seed, or at least that is the logical conclusion one could come to, because according to Jesus, we could move mountains with such little faith.

Reactions: KBCid and jaybird

Richard_oti

Mar 17, 2008
As I said "I know you know" the questions were entirely rhetorical but it makes my soul glad to here the expounding.

<hearty chuckle> Nothing like a little over-sharing.

Now I'm going to have to go write a tract with some wrote formula in case this ever happens again!

KBCid

Dec 22, 2011
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
<hearty chuckle> Nothing like a little over-sharing.

Now I'm going to have to go write a tract with some wrote formula in case this ever happens again!

Think not what to say but rather speak as the spirit guides you.

Richard_oti

Mar 17, 2008
Think not what to say but rather speak as the spirit guides you.
<chuckle> Thinking is safer! If you only knew how much trouble I've gotten myself into so many times...

Let's see:

Step 1: Don't listen to KBCid!
Step 2: ...

Yep, that's a good start for my tract!

Reactions: Helen and KBCid

Armadillo

Aug 11, 2017
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
It makes sense to them because they have sought for the easy way out. The no effort required Mcdonald's of salvation.

No effort on my part is correct, it is all Grace with no side of law. Where's the Grace?! (Wendys). It truly is effortless with no sweat off my brow and no ache in my heart. Jesus did it all so I can get it all.

It was easy for me to believe that no work was required on my part to have a loving relationship with my Father once I knew of Jesus' finished work on the Cross and there was no turning back. Awwww, rest, the Jesus way of salvation. Jesus makes salvation a beautiful thing! (Harveys).

Only Grace can teach you, lead you, and motivate you and you too can live in freedom from the law. It's pride-busting, don't be afraid.

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
Not exactly...

"To live is Christ." But we drag around that old corpse until physical death. So, if we do not "rightly divide" what is true of Christ in us and is finished, from what is unfinished in us...we misrepresent the truth. Allow me to explain:

If these things are true, if "it is no longer we who live but Christ in us", "if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new", "The last enemy that will be destroyed is death", and if with Christ, "It is finished"...then all that is "unfinished" is death.

But, many will say that the world goes on, and it does - but that is the world. Do not be confused, because you see those who are not yet saved and those who are being saved even now, that it is not finished as Christ has said - No, but rather, you are witnessing "death being swallowed up in victory."

Nothing else remains. Therefore...what remains in the flesh, is not of Christ, but of the world. Nor can He sin who is no longer of the world, but has passed on having become the spirit of God. For this reason, He did not commit His flesh to the Father, but His spirit only.
It sounds like you're saying Jesus didn't commit His flesh because of sin.
He could have commited either - Jesus was sinless. But it's our spirit that goes to be with God, not our body. Not until the new earth.
When we die we only get our glorified body --- not our resurrected body. (not that the glorified body is so bad!)

I believe you're speaking about the sin nature but calling it living in Christ and living in the world. So, yes, we carry the old man around with us, but he is no longer in charge.

I'd like to ask you what you mean when you say that Jesus said "It is finished".

WHAT is finished?