Calling all Law Keepers.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
It would appear then that your friend has a clue because that IS what is meant by the helper. When Christ said he would send another helper he also defined what that helper would do;
John 14:26 But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name , He will teach you all things. And He will help you remember everything that I have told you.

If the Holy spirit is doing what Christ says he will do then, he is teaching you and helping you remember his words. This is only relevant if YOU ARE the driver and if you are ACTING of your own volition and are directing your own steps. How could anyone rationalize any other reality on this subject..... and yet in the age of instant satisfaction that is exactly what people want to believe.

If YOU love me....;
John 14:15If ye love me, keep my commandments.
16And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever; 17Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.

If YOU love me then YOU will keep my commandments.
AND THEN I will ask the father to send you a helper to do exactly that..... since he knows you cannot by your understanding alone be perfect in doing this. This is love that you HELP your neighbor, wife, son, daughter...

Matt 12:48 Who is my mother? and who are my brethren? 49 And he stretched forth his hand toward his disciples, and said, Behold my mother and my brethren! 50 For whosoever shall do the will of my Father which is in heaven, the same is my brother, and sister, and mother.
Well KBCid,
If you care to check it out, Jesus' main teaching was not on how to be saved, but on how to belong to the Kingdom of God here on earth.
He spoke about salvation about 5 times.
He spoke about the Kingdom 100X or more in the 4 gospels.
He announced that He came to bring the Kingdom.
Mathew 4:17
Mathew 4:23

In John 3:3 and John 3:5 Jesus says that unless we are born from above we cannot see the kingdom of God nor could we enter it.

And in Luke 11:28 He tells us that blessed are those who hear the word of God and observe it.

Reactions: Truth

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
Peter did walk on the water toward Jesus, until he feared because of the size of the waves...It seems to always be doubt and /or fear which prevent us from going on to do what Jesus said believers would do....We must learn to not mix our faith with doubt, it won't work...
I find this walking on the water very interesting.

I hear say that it is Christ in us that is doing our work for us and not us.
So then I might ask:
Why didn't Jesus keep Peter up and walking on the water?
WHY did Peter fail if it's Jesus working everything through us?
Maybe our feelings and emotions have something to do with walking on the water?
Maybe our cooperation in walking on the water has something to do with it?

Just a thought.

Last edited:

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
And people say our will cannot have any effect on the will of God and our faith in him, well Peter's will certainly did. I however wonder how Peter's fall in the water because of his doubt compares to the following scripture.

Apparently peter's faith at that point wasn't even the size of a mustard seed, or at least that is the logical conclusion one could come to, because according to Jesus, we could move mountains with such little faith.
When we take our eyes off Jesus we fail.
Because it's US doing what we need to do and it's not Jesus doing everything for us. If it were, Peter would have kept on walking.

Such a simple theory...

Reactions: Dcopymope

Dcopymope

May 22, 2016
Motor City
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When we take our eyes off Jesus we fail.
Because it's US doing what we need to do and it's not Jesus doing everything for us. If it were, Peter would have kept on walking.

Such a simple theory...

Yes, faith really is this simple......but not to some people on here. They make understanding the Bible and having faith in Jesus Christ seem like its rocket science.

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
GodsGrace likes this.

I gotta wonder, was it the post @GodsGrace liked, or KBCid putting me on the spot <hearty chuckle>. Perhaps it was a mixture of both, but hopefully it was only the post, lest I be guilty of more "sin" this evening.
LOL
It was the post that I liked, and I'll tell you why.

This is the post from @KBCid:

And what does it really mean to repent?
Is it ok to say i'm sorry for trespassing the moral laws Lord but I can't help doing it... So, will you forgive me anyway and I'll just keep on doing the same thing I know is wrong.
Yes I know you know.

Of course to repent means to feel sorry for, to ask forgiveness and to go the other way, literally. To turn around.

Now... in reality one can only REPENT one time when they turn to God.
They were walking toward the enemy, they decide to turn around and walk toward God and serve God. This is true repentance.

However, we come to use that word to mean "feel sorry for".
So we have to accept that.
By what KBCid is saying it would seem that one is asking forgiveness while knowing that they will just keep sinning.

Does God forgive this?
Interesting question.
If the sinning is intentional and with no remorse, I'd say the sin cannot be forgiven.

But if there is remorse, I believe it is forgiven. Even though it might be repeated, or even though it is difficult to stop it. For instance, drugs.
Someone may be taking drugs and not care and someone may be taking drugs and truly wish to stop and the sorrow is there.

I do see a difference in these two scenarios. God, being a just God, will take this into consideration, I believe.

Let's just remember that He knows the truth.
Thoughts?

KBCid

Dec 22, 2011
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well KBCid,
If you care to check it out, Jesus' main teaching was not on how to be saved, but on how to belong to the Kingdom of God here on earth.
He spoke about salvation about 5 times.
He spoke about the Kingdom 100X or more in the 4 gospels.
He announced that He came to bring the Kingdom.
Mathew 4:17, 4:23
In John 3:3 and John 3:5 Jesus says that unless we are born from above we cannot see the kingdom of God nor could we enter it.
And in Luke 11:28 He tells us that blessed are those who hear the word of God and observe it.

Ah yes GG. You are almost entirely correct. let me humbly add to your foundation and add the fullness of Christ's intent to your meaning;
Christ indeed said;
Matt 6:33 But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness....
Note that the seeking of the kingdom & seeking his righteousness are lumped together because we are to live our lives as though we were already in the promised land. We must look forward to the time when all who exist around us will not be sinning and live in like fashion. We are after all supposed to be transients existing within this world. The helper's job is to help us work through how to achieve the end goal where we can follow righteousness by our own volition without failing at it.

KBCid

Dec 22, 2011
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No effort on my part is correct, it is all Grace with no side of law. Where's the Grace?! (Wendys). It truly is effortless with no sweat off my brow and no ache in my heart. Jesus did it all so I can get it all.
It was easy for me to believe that no work was required on my part to have a loving relationship with my Father once I knew of Jesus' finished work on the Cross and there was no turning back. Awwww, rest, the Jesus way of salvation. Jesus makes salvation a beautiful thing! (Harveys).
Only Grace can teach you, lead you, and motivate you and you too can live in freedom from the law. It's pride-busting, don't be afraid.

If you choose not to seek righteousness it is not because no one told you about it.
Note; Grace is not the teacher. Grace is a gift that is given to another who doesn't merit it. The helper who would be a gift given from God by his grace to a believer is the teacher to those who from the heart and soul desire to be like the example we were given (Christ) and who desire to one day exist in the promised land.

Last edited:
Reactions: GodsGrace

KBCid

Dec 22, 2011
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I find this walking on the water very interesting.
I hear say that it is Christ in us that is doing our work for us and not us.
So then I might ask: Why didn't Jesus keep Peter up and walking on the water?
WHY did Peter fail if it's Jesus working everything through us?
Maybe our feelings and emotions have something to do with walking on the water?
Maybe our cooperation in walking on the water has something to do with it?
Just a thought.

Maybe just maybe God wants his image to love them from their own individual hearts and souls by their own volition;
John 4:23But the hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth: for the Father seeketh such to worship him. 24God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.

Edit; I have been prompted to add a point to the above post.
There is significance in the word "truth" used in the quoted scripture.
How does one worship in truth?
I can expound on this now but, I would like to here your response.

Last edited:
Reactions: Richard_oti

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
i agree. so what is "Christ in us"? would that not be faith in the Most High just as Jesus had Faith in the Most High, Jesus always said His works were not of Him but the one who sent Him. when Peter walked on water with Jesus but sank, Jesus didnt tell him that was something only the Christ could do, He told him he needed stronger faith. IMO Jesus expected Peter to walk on the water just the same as He walked.
"Christ in us", is our coming in to Him and Him coming in to us, in Oneness. This is the marriage of the bride: the two become One.

Reactions: bbyrd009

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It sounds like you're saying Jesus didn't commit His flesh because of sin.
He could have commited either - Jesus was sinless. But it's our spirit that goes to be with God, not our body. Not until the new earth.
When we die we only get our glorified body --- not our resurrected body. (not that the glorified body is so bad!)

I believe you're speaking about the sin nature but calling it living in Christ and living in the world. So, yes, we carry the old man around with us, but he is no longer in charge.

I'd like to ask you what you mean when you say that Jesus said "It is finished".

WHAT is finished?
In order to fully understand what is finished, we must come to realize that time was created, and otherwise does not exist with God or in the kingdom. Also, that time and the world were created for a finite purpose that was passing away even at the time of Christ. Therefore, when Christ said, "It is finished", he spoke of all creation: "This generation shall not all die till all these things come to pass", meaning [that] generation.

But He spoke both of the world and all time, as well as the timeless realm of God. Which is to say, He told of God's reality, as well as what we perceive to be reality, which is not, but was contrived. Understand the meaning of "make believe", and know that this is the purpose of God for the whole world. By definition, this is the meaning of "created", and to "make manifest."

So, then, what we are seeing of life in the world during these times, is simply the unfolding of all that is written that has yet to be told...but is finished, nonetheless. Meaning, that all who are saved or will be saved, are saved already, and this is just the telling of it. Therefore, John wrote: "He who is unjust, let him be unjust still; he who is filthy, let him be filthy still; he who is righteous, let him be righteous still; he who is holy, let him be holy still”, that the perfect will of God should be according to what is already finished in Christ.

Last edited:

Armadillo

Aug 11, 2017
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
If you choose not to seek righteousness it is not because no one told you about it.

Revelation can only come from the Holy Spirit, so yes, I did need to be told; otherwise, I would still be in bondage to the law, seeking after my own righteousness. Who opens eyes, who heals the blind? It was a huge part of Jesus' ministry.

Reactions: Helen

Armadillo

Aug 11, 2017
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Maybe just maybe God wants his image to love them from their own individual hearts and souls by their own volition;

No maybes about it, God wants you to know how much He loves you and He showed it by the Cross. Can you truly love God without knowing how much He loves you?

Armadillo

Aug 11, 2017
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The helper's job is to help us work through how to achieve the end goal where we can follow righteousness by our own volition without failing at it.

Be righteous, in Christ. You are the righteousness of God in Christ. Jesus didn't fail and neither will you. To be righteous by what you do and not fail at it, is self-righteousness.

Reactions: mjrhealth and Helen

jaybird

Feb 29, 2016
"Christ in us", is our coming in to Him and Him coming in to us, in Oneness. This is the marriage of the bride: the two become One.
why would one want Christ in them? what would be the point? unless there is a practical application its just words.

Matthew 23:3
so do and observe whatever they tell you, but not the works they do. For they preach, but do not practice.

Armadillo

Aug 11, 2017
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

Luke 7:47, Therefore, I tell you, her many sins have been forgiven—as her great love has shown. But whoever has been forgiven little loves little.”

What does Jesus mean by this? How did the woman of ill-repute show her love? How did Simon, show his?

Luke 7:41-43,

“Two people owed money to a certain moneylender. One owed him five hundred denarii, and the other fifty. Neither of them had the money to pay him back, so he forgave the debts of both. Now which of them will love him more?”

Simon replied, “I suppose the one who had the bigger debt forgiven.”

“You have judged correctly,” Jesus said.

Scriptures show if you don't know how forgiven you are, you will not have much love to show God.

Reactions: mjrhealth