Calvinism

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Mjh29

May 28, 2017
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yeah the point is they use Calvin as a Red Herring rather than dealing with the actual teachings of Scripture.

You don't know how right you are. It's the classic "Hey, let's all attack this one guy so that our heresy get's swept under the rug" routine.

The minute they get backed into a corner, they loose their scape goat and play victor.

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You don't know how right you are. It's the classic "Hey, let's all attack this one guy so that our heresy get's swept under the rug" routine.

The minute they get backed into a corner, they loose their scape goat and play victor.
I don’t know Mr Calvin, and I’ve never really read any of his commentary, but from what I’ve read on this forum, a lot of it aligns with what I read in scripture.

Mjh29

May 28, 2017
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don’t know Mr Calvin, and I’ve never really read any of his commentary, but from what I’ve read on this forum, a lot of it aligns with what I read in scripture.

Trust me, friend; if it did not, [and it could be proven from Scriptures] I would not dare associate myself with him. I trust Calvin like a faithful pastor, not a god as people make it out.

Reactions: SovereignGrace

John Caldwell

Apr 12, 2019
North Augusta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And again John you are either being willfully ignorant or just absurd.

Notice I did not say what you claim. Those verses show that the penalty for sin is death.

Again, I was showing that the PENALTY for sin is death.

No, I merely presented exactly what the text says. You are the one insisting on one single verse and that is not how this works.

Nowhere in Scripture does it say God is three yet one but you believe that. Your double standard on this is appalling.

We know FROM SCRIPTURE that the penalty of sin is death. What price did Christ pay? Death. THEREFORE, yes, Christ did take the penalty for our sin in our place. You cannot deny this, this is an essential of the faith. Why are you so dead set against it? I have two questions for you.

1. Was in fact the penalty of sin death according to Scripture?
2. Did Christ die in order to pay for OUR sin.

If the answer to both of those questions are 'yes' then you have no choice but to say Christ took the punishment for our sin.
David,

Read those verses again.

When you say "penalty" you are (by your own admission) referring to a punishment.

Paul tells us that the "wages" of sin is death. Genesis tells us that 3 tells us that man will return to the dust.

Do you see how you are dishonoring the text of Scripture by changing the words?

Even if we were to replace the word God chose with "penalty" and assume death is the punishment for sin, we still are far from presenting Christ as being punished instead of us, by God, as we also die. But there is no need to go there because I am not willing to even alter the words of God (I do not believe that we have that right, even if it would make us feel better about our theology).

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
David,

Read those verses again.

When you say "penalty" you are (by your own admission) referring to a punishment.

Paul tells us that the "wages" of sin is death. Genesis tells us that 3 tells us that man will return to the dust.

Even if we were to replace the word God chose with "penalty" and assume death is the punishment for sin, we still are far from presenting Christ as being punished instead of us, by God, as we also die. But there is no need to go there because I am not willing to even alter the words of God (I do not believe that we have that right, even if it would make us feel better about our theology).
It pleased the Lord to bruise Him, and He Chastened Him sore.

reformed1689

Oct 15, 2019
Somewhere in the USA
reformedtruths.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

More absurd word games from John. Typical. Yes I am referring to a punishment. The consequence of sin was death. The payment for sin is death. The punishment for sin is death. NEWSFLASH all of those mean the exact same thing.

John if you want to go in your crazy interpretation skills, that aren't interpretation at all, go ahead. But you are flat wrong. By the way, by YOUR STANDARD you must cease your belief in the Trinity because there is not a single verse that says God is three in one.

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We don’t have to read much of the Gospels to see that the Lord Jesus Christ fully orchestrated His crusifiction,

Mjh29

May 28, 2017
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Does it really matter? The 2 can be used interchangeably.

"The wages of sin is death"

So, we must pay the price of death for our sins. But Christ [as He said in one of His parables] is like the good King who takes our debt upon Himself, and pays for that debt from His own pocket. How did Christ pay for our sins? By bearing them on His body on the Cross.

Your wordplay, though crafty, is ineffective.

John Caldwell

Apr 12, 2019
North Augusta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Does it really matter? The 2 can be used interchangeably.

"The wages of sin is death"

So, we must pay the price of death for our sins. But Christ [as He said in one of His parables] is like the good King who takes our debt upon Himself, and pays for that debt from His own pocket. How did Christ pay for our sins? By bearing them on His body on the Cross.

Your wordplay, though crafty, is ineffective.
It matters for two reasons.

1. God's word is not so trivial a thing that we should feel at liberty to interchange words.

2. "Wages" and "penalty" are not interchangeable ("wages" does not indicate a punishment whereas "penalty" does).

This is just another example of Calvinism redefining words to exclude the classic or traditional understanding of Scripture.

If this thread is any evidence, Calvinists are illiterate fools (which I know is not the case because not only are there brilliant Calvinistic scholars but I was once a Calvinist and am still brilliant :D ).

Let's look ar the list so far - Calvinism redefines:

1. "Whole world" as "the elect"
2. "All" as " the elect"
3. "Forsake" as "separate from"
4. "Theory" as "scientific theory"
5. "Doctrine" as "divine truths"
6. And now "wages" as "penalty implying punishment"

You know what they say - tell a Calvinist a word and he'll redefine it, give him a dictionary and he'll philosophize over it :D .... they don't really say that but they should.

John Caldwell

Apr 12, 2019
North Augusta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Deceit came to mind first, but I'm trying to be gracious.
Yes, words have meanings and we cannot redefine them.

That is why I was saying there is no reason to discuss the topic. I cannot simply abide with people interchanging and redefining words to suit their theology. It is sinful.

I am not blaming any of you for the doctrine you hold. But the practice of replacing words in Scripture is wrong.

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It matters for two reasons.

1. God's word is not so trivial a thing that we should feel at liberty to interchange words.

2. "Wages" and "penalty" are not interchangeable ("wages" does not indicate a punishment whereas "penalty" does).

This is just another example of Calvinism redefining words to exclude the classic or traditional understanding of Scripture.

If this thread is any evidence, Calvinists are illiterate fools (which I know is not the case because not only are there brilliant Calvinistic scholars but I was once a Calvinist and am still brilliant :D ).

2. "All" as " the elect"

You know what they say - tell a Calvinist a word and he'll redefine it, give him a dictionary and he'll philosophize over it :D .... they don't really say that but they should.
Psalm 118:18 KJV
[18] The Lord hath chastened me sore: but he hath not given me over unto death.

How do you reconcile this?
Tecarta Bible

John Caldwell

Apr 12, 2019
North Augusta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Psalm 118:18 KJV
[18] The Lord hath chastened me sore: but he hath not given me over unto death.

How do you reconcile this?
Tecarta Bible
God does discipline us. I never said otherwise.

Sctipture tells us two things here -

1. God disciplines those who are His but they are NEVER objects of His wrath.

2. Those who are not His are not disciplined, and they ARE objects of His wrath.

I am not saying that Christ refused to submit to the wages of sin. I am saying Scripture never states that God punished Jesus instead of punishing us.

It is asinine to argue the idea God does is like the idea of the Trinity because whether y'all believe it or not Scripture DOES state that the Godhead is Father, Son, and Spirit. That you guys believe it absent the text, albeit not in one place, of Scripture is telling.

reformed1689

Oct 15, 2019
Somewhere in the USA
reformedtruths.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Unless of course it doesn't change the meaning.

In the context it is. What is the payment for your sin? What gets dished out to you for your sin? It is a penalty. No different than getting caught speeding. What is the payment for speeding? A fine. And that fine is a penalty. That penalty is a punishment. It all means the same thing John no matter how you try to philosophize it.

Nothing has been redefined here, you just willfully ignore the plain and obvious meaning to uphold your ridiculous theology.

but I was once a Calvinist and am still brilliant :D ).
Professing themselves to be wise.....

2. "All" as " the elect"

1. This is false. It depends on the context.
2. Again, context.
3. What are you referring to?
4. Again, what are you referring to?
5. Who has said that? Doctrine can be true or false.
6. In the context of Romans 6, absolutely.

Reactions: Mjh29