Can Nonbelievers be Saved in the Resurrection?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

n2thelight

Dec 24, 2006
Atlanta,Ga
Can nonbelievers be saved from their sins in the resurrection? Do these people have any hope after they die? If they don't receive Jesus in this life, can nonbelievers be saved in the resurrection of the dead?

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
this is your time, to seek out the One true God. and as the scripture says:

Rev_17:14 These shall make war with the Lamb, and the Lamb shall overcome them: for he is Lord of lords, and King of kings: and they that are with him are called, and chosen, and faithful.

hence called chosen and faithful, the requirements, basically it's God's choice who shall be with Him. when what we have been told in scripture has been fulfilled, then maybe mercy is available, but He wouldn't insist that you acknowledge His Son now if He planed on not requiring that you acknowledge His Son Jesus Christ. God's not stupid, nor is there any work arounds. God knows what He wants, and that's what He will get.

Joh_14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

that hasn't changed, and will never change. if you read scripture you will find out that all of creation including all creators know the Almighty through His Word that is how Noah knew Him that's how Abraham knew Him, so on and so forth, and that will never change.

liafailrock

Jul 4, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Can nonbelievers be saved from their sins in the resurrection? Do these people have any hope after they die? If they don't receive Jesus in this life, can nonbelievers be saved in the resurrection of the dead?

Yes, I believe so. They will be in the general resurrection after the millennium and experience the Great White Throne Judgment being raised physically from the dead. However, this is NOT a second chance. These are people who never heard the true gospel, never called, or those who antedated the time of Christ's first coming. It will be their (not everyone's) calling and first chance. From our stance, "if today you hear his voice, harden not your heart...." He guarantees everyone a chance, and some he's patient with, but God is under no obligation to call again with another chance after that one time they have their chance (although he may).

Reactions: n2thelight

Job

Feb 5, 2014
somewhere
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

The Lord searches the heart (believer and nonbeliever alike) and He makes His decision's based on what He finds there. Nonbelievers who haven't outright rejected or denied Jesus stand a chance of making it into the Kingdom of Heaven. But once they pass from this life there are no second chances. The decision of where an individual will spend eternity is made at the moment of death. Once the heart is no longer active, the searching stops and judgement is made.

This is what I have come to believe regarding nonbelievers and the Kingdom of Heaven.

epostle1

Sep 24, 2012
Essex
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The question that needs to be asked is:
Would a person be condemned to hell, if, through no fault of their own, never heard the gospel?

Job

Feb 5, 2014
somewhere
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Would a person be condemned to hell, if, through no fault of their own, never heard the gospel?

That would depend on the contents of their heart. That's how the Lord decides who goes where.

Countless multitudes have died never having heard the gospel. Even today, people pass away never having heard the name of Jesus.

Dcopymope

May 22, 2016
Motor City
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Once you understand what being saved truly means and the order of events after the resurrection, then you will understand why the answer to this question is a resounding no.

tabletalk

Feb 6, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

It looks like it, according to the Apostle Paul.
From Romans 5: "12. Therefore, just as through one man sin entered the world, and death through sin, and thus death spread to all men, because all sinned—..."

Dcopymope

May 22, 2016
Motor City
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
From Romans 5: "12. Therefore, just as through one man sin entered the world, and death through sin, and thus death spread to all men, because all sinned—..."

And that somehow means a heathen can be saved without faith? Then what good is your faith in Jesus? I might as well be an atheist and " be good", and be rewarded at his second coming.

jimd

Oct 14, 2017
catawissa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You need to study Romans 1 & 2 carefully

EndTimeWine

Nov 5, 2017
Albany
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Are they non believers by choice or are they ignorant to who Christ is? Has the gospel been spread to all the corners of the earth? If ignorant, the question is... do they lead COMMON decent lives based on what they know? On these matters God will judge and HIS judgements are good and true. We should concern ourselves with the matters of the living and saving souls on earth while a person is here and leave judgement of souls to God. Some things should not weigh heavily on our minds. Things such as final judge are out of our realm of expertise. God is justice.

Last edited:

tabletalk

Feb 6, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And that somehow means a heathen can be saved without faith? Then what good is your faith in Jesus? I might as well be an atheist and " be good", and be rewarded at his second coming.

Here's the Post (#5) I was responding to:
kepha31 said:
"The question that needs to be asked is:
Would a person be condemned to hell, if, through no fault of their own, never heard the gospel?"

I said: "It looks like it,
according to the Apostle Paul."

So, I'm saying a "heathen can be saved"?
No, I'm saying a heathen can't be saved.

Reactions: Job

Dcopymope

May 22, 2016
Motor City
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
kepha31 said:
Would a person be condemned to hell, if, through no fault of their own, never heard the gospel?"

Well, I agree with you there. Why anyone would even waste their time spreading the gospel if a heathen can be saved from the lake of fire judgment without it anyway is beyond me. It would make the gospel null and void.

Job

Feb 5, 2014
somewhere
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
kepha31 said:

Don't you like it when you get branded for something you didn't say?
default_24.gif

It happens to me all the time. It's no wonder people are so confused.

Reactions: tabletalk

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

NO!
Romans 1:20 Because God is always speaking and as the scripture says..He has been since the creation of the world..HE says that His creation and His essence is "clearly seen"...even His eternal power and Godhead, SO that they are without excuse.
So even the little men running naked down there in the S.A rainforests can "see" the awesomeness of a divine Hand written to express God.

My two cents. :)

Reactions: amadeus

epostle1

Sep 24, 2012
Essex
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
kepha31 said:

Chapter and verse where Paul says all those who never heard the gospel are condemned to hell.

Never hearing the gospel doesn't make them a heathen. They are still human beings.
NO!
Romans 1:20 Because God is always speaking and as the scripture says..He has been since the creation of the world..HE says that His creation and His essence is "clearly seen"...even His eternal power and Godhead, SO that they are without excuse.
So even the little men running naked down there in the S.A rainforests can "see" the awesomeness of a divine Hand written to express God.

My two cents. :)
Then they don't need the gospel.

847 This affirmation is not aimed at those who, through no fault of their own, do not know Christ and his Church:
Those who, through no fault of their own, do not know the Gospel of Christ or his Church, but who nevertheless seek God with a sincere heart, and, moved by grace, try in their actions to do his will as they know it through the dictates of their conscience - those too may achieve eternal salvation.337
848 "Although in ways known to himself God can lead those who, through no fault of their own, are ignorant of the Gospel, to that faith without which it is impossible to please him, the Church still has the obligation and also the sacred right to evangelize all men."338

CCC 847-848

God is not a legalistic monster, throwing people into hell, just because an ignorant person doesn't meet a particular church's criteriia.

Last edited by a moderator:

n2thelight

Dec 24, 2006
Atlanta,Ga
Another question before I answer my op

Why would God send a strong delusion to allow some to believe the lie,and then condemn them for it?

tabletalk

Feb 6, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Chapter and verse where Paul says all those who never heard the gospel are condemned to hell.

Never hearing the gospel doesn't make them a heathen. They are still human beings.
Then they don't need the gospel.

847 This affirmation is not aimed at those who, through no fault of their own, do not know Christ and his Church:
Those who, through no fault of their own, do not know the Gospel of Christ or his Church, but who nevertheless seek God with a sincere heart, and, moved by grace, try in their actions to do his will as they know it through the dictates of their conscience - those too may achieve eternal salvation.337
848 "Although in ways known to himself God can lead those who, through no fault of their own, are ignorant of the Gospel, to that faith without which it is impossible to please him, the Church still has the obligation and also the sacred right to evangelize all men."338

CCC 847-848

God is not a legalistic monster, throwing people into hell, just because an ignorant person doesn't meet a particular church's criteriia.

Your statement: "Chapter and verse where Paul says all those who never heard the gospel are condemned to hell."

John 3:18
“He who believes in Him is not condemned; but he who does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

Romans 8:3
For what the law could not do in that it was weak through the flesh, God did by sending His own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, on account of sin: He condemned sin in the flesh,

Romans 8:8
So then, those who are in the flesh cannot please God.

1 Corinthians 11:32
But when we are judged, we are chastened by the Lord, that we may not be condemned with the world.

2 Thessalonians 2:12
that they all may be condemned who did not believe the truth but had pleasure in unrighteousness.

Titus 3:11
knowing that such a person is warped and sinning, being self-condemned.

Hebrews 11:7
By faith Noah, being divinely warned of things not yet seen, moved with godly fear, prepared an ark for the saving of his household, by which he condemned the world and became heir of the righteousness which is according to faith.

epostle1

Sep 24, 2012
Essex
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Choosing to ignore the gospel is not the same as never hearing it. None of your verses account for the latter.

CCC 847-848

This stands.

epostle1

Sep 24, 2012
Essex
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The Church knows that this Gospel of life, which she has received from her Lord, 1 has a profound and persuasive echo in the heart of every person-believer and non-believer alike-because it marvellously fulfils all the heart's expectations while infinitely surpassing them. Even in the midst of difficulties and uncertainties, every person sincerely open to truth and goodness can, by the light of reason and the hidden action of grace, come to recognize in the natural law written in the heart (cf. Rom 2:14-15) the sacred value of human life from its very beginning until its end, and can affirm the right of every human being to have this primary good respected to the highest degree. Upon the recognition of this right, every human community and the political community itself are founded.

In a special way, believers in Christ must defend and promote this right, aware as they are of the wonderful truth recalled by the Second Vatican Council: "By his incarnation the Son of God has united himself in some fashion with every human being".2 This saving event reveals to humanity not only the boundless love of God who "so loved the world that he gave his only Son" (Jn 3:16), but also the incomparable value of every human person.

The Church, faithfully contemplating the mystery of the Redemption, acknowledges this value with ever new wonder.3 She feels called to proclaim to the people of all times this "Gospel", the source of invincible hope and true joy for every period of history. The Gospel of God's love for man, the Gospel of the dignity of the person and the Gospel of life are a single and indivisible Gospel.

Evangelium Vitae (25 March 1995) | John Paul II paragraph 2