Catholics

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
le
Thank you for your response. But I still wonder "why"?
Many people as you say..disagree with other people about how to 'walk-out' their daily christian life. I agree ( talking about all denominations now...not Catholics) ..there is much finger pointing and calls of heretic etc
But really, bottom line, who really gives a fig. I don't care what anyone thinks about me or my beliefs...it's up to me to make my "calling and election sure." At the end of all this..I don't believe God will care one iota whether we defended this concept, that doctrine, or the other...He will care how we stood in the faith in regard to His Son, and His command to Love Him and Love our neighbour...I believe that is the scale that will weigh everything and every man..at the End. And we all pray that when we are "weighed in the balance", we will not be found wanting.
Bless you...H
I already answered this in my last post when I said the following:
"There are a lot of people who come here seeking the truth and they have a right not to have to put up with myths and lies about the Catholic Church - or ANY other sect of Christianity."

I've spoken to HUNDREDS people over the years who believed in the lies they were taught about the Catholic Church until somebody showed them the truth. Why is this such an accepted practice among Protestants?
Can you answer that?

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I thought the very same thing...but then, "if it looks & walks like a duck , quacks like a duck ..etc etc...."

Indeed, it is. But if one says they are not something, but then they say they are that something, then there is credibility issues. But, in this thread I don't think that matters. Romanists always say they don't believe this or that when in actuality they do.

Stranger

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I thought you said you were not a Romanist. How is it that they are your 'faction'? Perhaps I misunderstood you. Stranger
A faction is a group within a larger group that has different ideas and opinions than the rest of the group.

I agree with a large portion of what the Catholic Church teaches. I now adhere to their teachings and beliefs and I hold some different ideas then they do but none of those different ideas prevent me from becoming a member this Easter or next.

I am for all intensive purposes Catholic, but not on paper, official, it's in the book, you have been blessed by a priest Catholic....If that makes sense? My recent research of Christian History has led me to this point.

Hope that answers your question!

Mary

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A faction is a group within a larger group that has different ideas and opinions than the rest of the group.

I agree with a large portion of what the Catholic Church teaches. I now adhere to their teachings and beliefs and I hold some different ideas then they do but none of those different ideas prevent me from becoming a member this Easter or next.

I am for all intensive purposes Catholic, but not on paper, official, it's in the book, you have been blessed by a priest Catholic....If that makes sense? My recent research of Christian History has led me to this point.

Mary

Oh. I see. You're a Romanist when you want to be, but not one when you don't want to be.

Make sense? You say it is not on paper....yet it is in the book. How is it in the book if it is not on paper? Let me guess...a spiritual book somewhere.

Stranger

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@BreadOfLife I have a question...please don't get mad when you answer.
Can you tell me why it is that you feel so strongly about having to defend your Church?
If your church is totally solid and right...why on earth does it need defending. Isn't that a sign of weakness in yourself?
I know quite a few Catholics ,about six or seven...not one of them feels insecure enough in their Church or their faith, that they have to defend it.
They just disagree with how I see things..and we get on with out life without arguing the issue.
You do seem a little obsessed about lies...which you write as lies .
This too comes across more as a weakness rather than a strength , from you.
If you really believe that truth is truth...then why do you feel to fight instead of what the bible says about "be strong in the Lord, and in the power of His might."...
I do really hope , that outside of this forum you are a 'happy go lucky' person who can enjoy their life and their faith.
God bless.....H
If I may jump in here I think I can answer that.

I was listening to a Catholic podcast the other day and the Catholic Church teaches that it has The Truth and fullness of scripture. No other Church does. Therefore if one attacks or tells lies about The Truth, The Church or Scripture then it should be defended, just like Jesus and the Apostles would. (this is a summary from memory not a word for word quote).

Hope that helps.......Mary

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Mary
As Cardinal John Henry Newman said after coming to the fullness of truth, "To be deep in history is to cease being Protestant."

Pisteuo

Jul 31, 2017
Ozarks
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Or you could just lay down the labels and follow Christ. Then let the world label you what they will. Identify with Him, not them.

Reactions: Helen and ScottA

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh. I see. You're a Romanist when you want to be, but not one when you don't want to be.
Make sense? You say it is not on paper....yet it is in the book. How is it in the book if it is not on paper? Let me guess...a spiritual book somewhere.
Stranger
There are certain things that you HAVE to believe to be a Catholic which is Dogma. The Churches Dogma are Truths that are revealed in Scripture.
Dogma is something that is infallibly taught by the Church as something that has been divinely revealed. I accept those teachings of The Church.

I don't have to accept the teachings or practices (Ex. saying the rosary) of The Church that are not divinely revealed. Even though it is a Catholic thing and accepted or encouraged as a common practice, I don't have to do it to be Catholic.

I did not word my origingal statement properly so I understand how you got confused. I should have said; I am for all intensive purposes Catholic, but not on paper, it's not official, it's not in the books (common saying), a priest hasn't blessed me...Does that make more sense?

Love Mary

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Or you could just lay down the labels and follow Christ. Then let the world label you what they will. Identify with Him, not them.
Hi Pissteuo,

Are you saying that anyone that belongs to an organized Church is NOT following Christ?

Curious Mary

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Labels??
The Protestant Revolt and its aftermath is where we get "labels" of Christian sects - to the tune of almost 50,000.

The Catholic Church is the original Tree from which Protestantism splintered.
This is not something that is up for debate - it's a fact of history. The only "label" we have is the Body of Christ.

Pisteuo

Jul 31, 2017
Ozarks
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Labels??
The Protestant Revolt and its aftermath is where we get "labels" of Christian sects - to the tune of almost 50,000.

This is not something that is up for debate - it's a fact of history. The only "label" we have is the Body of Christ.
Oh, the nerve of them pesky protestants! I bet they all LIE in bold. Chill brother and lets find some common ground so you can convert me. Catholics do that too, right? After reading some of Aspens posts I'm almost there. If he's catholic then maybe I am too and I didn't know it.

Reactions: Helen

Pisteuo

Jul 31, 2017
Ozarks
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ok....what is a label?

Curious Mary
la·bel
ˈlābəl/
noun
noun: label; plural noun: labels
  1. 1.
    a small piece of paper, fabric, plastic, or similar material attached to an object and giving information about it.
    synonyms: tag, ticket, sticker, marker, tab
    "the price is clearly stated on the label"
    • a piece of fabric sewn inside a garment and bearing the brand name, size, or instructions for care.
    • the piece of paper in the center of a phonograph record giving the artist and title.
    • a company that produces recorded music.
      "independent labels"
    • the name or trademark of a fashion company.
      "she plans to launch her own designer clothes label"
      synonyms: brand, brand name, trade name, trademark, make, logo
      "a designer label"
    • a classifying phrase or name applied to a person or thing, especially one that is inaccurate or restrictive.
      "my reluctance to stick a label on myself politically"
      synonyms: designation, description, tag; More
      name, epithet, nickname, title, sobriquet, pet name, cognomen;
      formaldenomination, appellation
      "the label the media came up with for me"
    • (in a dictionary entry) a word or words used to specify the subject area, register, or geographical origin of the word being defined.
    • Computing
      a string of characters used to refer to a particular instruction in a program.
    • BiologyChemistry
      a radioactive isotope, fluorescent dye, or enzyme used to make something identifiable for study.
  2. 2.
    Heraldry
    a narrow horizontal strip, typically with three downward projections, that is superimposed on a coat of arms by an eldest son during the life of his father.
  3. 3.
    Architecture
    another term for dripstone.
verb
verb: label; 3rd person present: labels; past tense: labelled; past participle: labelled; gerund or present participle: labelling; past tense: labeled; past participle: labeled; gerund or present participle: labeling
  1. 1.
    attach a label to (something).
    "she labeled the parcels neatly, writing the addresses in capital letters"
    synonyms: tag, put labels on, ticket, mark
    "label each jar with the date"

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No...the original splinter was in following a man instead of the spirit of God: the rock, instead of the Rock.

Reactions: Helen

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There are certain things that you HAVE to believe to be a Catholic which is Dogma. The Churches Dogma are Truths that are revealed in Scripture.
Dogma is something that is infallibly taught by the Church as something that has been divinely revealed. I accept those teachings of The Church.

I don't have to accept the teachings or practices (Ex. saying the rosary) of The Church that are not divinely revealed. Even though it is a Catholic thing and accepted or encouraged as a common practice, I don't have to do it to be Catholic.

I did not word my origingal statement properly so I understand how you got confused. I should have said; I am for all intensive purposes Catholic, but not on paper, it's not official, it's not in the books (common saying), a priest hasn't blessed me...Does that make more sense?

Love Mary

Yes it does. You are a Romanist though it is not officially in accord with the Roman Church.

Stranger

Reactions: Marymog

Truth

May 31, 2017
AZ, Quartzsite
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Where do you get this garbage??

Because you made such an asinine claim - I am challenging you to present documented historical evidence that:
1. That the Catholic Church was established by Rome and not Jesus and the Apostles
2. Constantine
was the first Catholic Pontiff.
2. Constantine "melded" paganism with Christianity.

Finally - neither you nor Stranger nor any other anti-Catholic on this forum understands what a "Rite" of the Catholic Church is - so allow me to educate you.
The different Rites of the Church are basically regional differences based on custom and language - NOT doctrine.
There are no doctrinal differences and they are ALL in communion with the Pope. We are ONE Church.

This is NOTHING like the tens of thousands of disjointed and perpetually-splintering sects of Protestantism that ALL teach different doctrines based on the personal interpretations of the leader of that particular sect.

The Catholic Historical Review
page 192 under --- TRANSLATION OF THE MILAN DECREE
First Paragraph
I , Constantine Augustus, and I, Licinius Augustus, at a propitious juncture meeting in Milan, and taking under consideration the whole range of public interest and safety, have come to the conclusion that among all matters conducive to the public weal those ought to be settled in the very first place, by which the reverence due to [the] Deity is safeguarded {to wit} that we give to the Christians as well as to all {others} free permission to follow the Religion which each one chooses, in order that [whatever]
Deity there is on the heavenly Throne may be propitiated and show itself favorable to ourselves and to all that are under Our Power!!!
As I read this I am lead to believe, that there was more than one Religion practiced in Rome at this time, Second that which ever Deity that was more Power-full would bless the Empire of Rome. Rome was a polytheistic Empire.
I never said that Constantine was POPE, there were many Roman Emperors that laid claim to the Title Pontiff Maximums because they were accredited the title of high priest to the other Beliefs, being Emperor or King they had full Authority over these other Religions.
www.biblicalcatholic.com for the above statement.
as far as melding as the edict of Milan states, there was already a vast mixture of different Religions within the Empire, Constantine had just included the Christians, and award them their holdings back! Everyone except the Jews!!!!
I am not Anti- Catholic, I am Anti-Idolatry which I believe my Master would agree with.
Thou shall not add to or diminish from the words of God!!!
If you add to, then it is no longer the words of God, it becomes the words of Man
if you diminish from the words of God, Again it is no longer the words of God, but the words of Men
I believe that I have used info from Catholic Sites, as to not be offensive, but only to be within accredited sites.
If I am wrong I am sure that you will be ready to correct me1

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Instead of coming after me for calling people out for lying about the Catholic Church - why aren't you asking yourself what is motivating these people to lie in the first place??

Guilty people tend to lash out at the person who caught them instead of looking at themselves . . .

See, BoL is an expert on why people disagree with Catholic doctrine. They are haters. PERIOD.

No room for questioning, growing, developing, challenging in order to gain knowledge in BoL's world. Understanding and discovery are anathema - you are either a mindless apologist for the Vatican or an anti-Catholic trying to tear down Christ's Church. And you must be confronted, mocked and shutdown because BoL is right and you are more than wrong, you are evil. It doesn't even matter if you understand what it means to be Catholic - as long as you defend before you consider, and justify the means with the end - like OT teaches us to do.

And don't try to point out any abhorrent behavior displayed by BoL, he has a mandate to snuff out your hate. Yeah-yeah Jesus told everyone else to go out and heal and forgive, but BoL is obviously a special case - Jesus's special ninja! who goes out and anniliates all those who are determined to be haters. Others may dust our feet off and move on....not the ninja...he does not tolerant a dissenter to live. It is always personal, with the ninja.

Nevermind that Jesus died without changing the minds of Herod or the Pharisee elite or even annihilating them btw.

Nevermind that God tolerates people with every variety of opinion possible

Nevermind that we are called to love people in spite of their opinions

Nevermind that we live in a dialectic culture that teaches people to discover truth by challenging ideas that might seem heretical, untrue or just different, before incorporating the true within the ideas/teachings

........BoL has a mandate