Celebrate Halloween?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Buzzfruit

Aug 21, 2011
Bronx, New York, U.S.A
halloweens roots trace back to satanism. bottem line. and dark and light do not mix.

So is the origin of Christmas.

The Real Story of Christmas
http://www.simpletoremember.com/vitals/Christmas_TheRealStory.htm

I realize that the discussion is not about Christmas but my point is, if one objects to Christians celebrating Halloween, then they should also object to Christmas as well. We should strive to be consistent as much as possible, in that way we set a positive example among the unbelievers.

teamventure

Sep 6, 2011
i don't celebrate christmas or easter. i only celebrate the passover and resurection.

buzzfruit. do you celebrate christmas and halloween?

Selene

Apr 12, 2010
In my house
and who do they offer these crop and animal sacrificies to? open your eyes. even that is satanic.

How do you know it is Satan when even God required His chosen people to sacrifice crops and animals? How easy it is to judge the pagans. The Americans also celebrate their new year with fireworks. Does fireworks have anything to do with Satan? How they celebrate is up to them, but Hallow's Eve has nothing to do with Satanism in the same as January 1st (America's New Year) has nothing to do with Satanism.

brionne

May 31, 2010
Australia
So is the origin of Christmas.

The Real Story of Christmas
http://www.simpletoremember.com/vitals/Christmas_TheRealStory.htm

I realize that the discussion is not about Christmas but my point is, if one objects to Christians celebrating Halloween, then they should also object to Christmas as well. We should strive to be consistent as much as possible, in that way we set a positive example among the unbelievers.

yep i agree

which is why i dont celebrate christmas or easter either. Its funny when i tell people and they say 'arent you a christian though?' and I say "yeah, i'm an informed christian" :)

Buzzfruit

Aug 21, 2011
Bronx, New York, U.S.A
What a load of rubbish. i get sick of hearing that stupid nonsense carrying on about dragging up some half baked excuse relating it to Jesus as in fact it has noting to do with that rubbish at all and anyone that says it is to do with it is just fooling themselves it's just like the JW that run around with that stupid totem pole with 3 faces claiming they found the trinity how foolish.
Ask any Christian that has Christmas why they are doing it and i am sure they are not into the rubbish you are dragging up.
Slander is it not.

My point is the Christmas celebration was adopted from the pagan celebration. I did not say that anyone that celebrate Christmas are worshiping some pagan god.
But the fact still is that Christmas celibration came out of pagan rites. The first Christians never celebrated Christmas and if they wanted to they would celebrate it on the day Jesus was born, because they knew Jesus personally and would at least have a good idea when Jesus was born.

brionne

May 31, 2010
Australia
yep i agree

which is why i dont celebrate christmas or easter either. Its funny when i tell people and they say 'arent you a christian though?' and I say "yeah, i'm an informed christian" :)

and its interesting to me that so many non-christians celebrate christmas and easter....I know avowed athiests who still celebrate christmas and when I ask them why the do they say because they dont view it as a religious celebration. So i think a lot of people know that christmas is no longer a christian celebration any more. Its just another worldly holiday to many people.

this forum is weird with the editing...

Buzzfruit

Aug 21, 2011
Bronx, New York, U.S.A
yep i agree

I would like to make it clear that I don't condemn anyone who chose to celebrate Christmas. There are some things that I like about Christmas myself.

i don't celebrate christmas or easter. i only celebrate the passover and resurection.

buzzfruit. do you celebrate christmas and halloween?

No...

brionne

May 31, 2010
Australia
My point is the Christmas celebration was adopted from the pagan celebration. I did not say that anyone that celebrate Christmas are worshiping some pagan god.
But the fact still is that Christmas celibration came out of pagan rites. The first Christians never celebrated Christmas and if they wanted to they would celebrate it on the day Jesus was born, because they knew Jesus personally and would at least have a good idea when Jesus was born.

did you know that during the 1600’s, the Puritans became so disturbed over the obviously pagan nature of Christmas that the holiday was outlawed in England and in some of the American colonies. Penalties were exacted for celebrating Christmas or just staying home from work on Christmas Day. In New England (U.S.), it was not until 1856 that Christmas was legalized

And in in North America between the years 1659 and 1681, Christmas was banned in the Massachusetts Bay Colony. According to the law enacted then, Christmas was not to be observed in any form or fashion. The Pennsylvania Quakers were also against it.
The early Baptist and Congregationalist churches also found no Scriptural grounds for celebrating Christ’s birth and it was not until December 25, 1772, that the Baptist Church of Newport [Rhode Island] observed Christmas for the first time. This was approximately 130 years after the founding of the first Baptist church in New England.

so anyone who thinks christmas has always been is mistaken.

lawrance

Mar 30, 2011
Fair enough.
I don't like peoples birthdays being glorified but i respect the truth in celebrating Christ.
The dates do not mean much to me but when i see people with a downer on the truth in celebrating Christ, i think O' no.
I don't celebrate my birthday for my self, but others can come to do so and that is not an offence.

teamventure

Sep 6, 2011
How do you know it is Satan when even God required His chosen people to sacrifice crops and animals? How easy it is to judge the pagans. The Americans also celebrate their new year with fireworks. Does fireworks have anything to do with Satan? How they celebrate is up to them, but Hallow's Eve has nothing to do with Satanism in the same as January 1st (America's New Year) has nothing to do with Satanism.

you didn't answer my question. who do these pagans make their sacrificies to? samhain is a demon. open your eyes.

Buzzfruit

Aug 21, 2011
Bronx, New York, U.S.A
did you know that during the 1600’s, the Puritans became so disturbed over the obviously pagan nature of Christmas that the holiday was outlawed in England and in some of the American colonies. Penalties were exacted for celebrating Christmas or just staying home from work on Christmas Day. In New England (U.S.), it was not until 1856 that Christmas was legalized

And in in North America between the years 1659 and 1681, Christmas was banned in the Massachusetts Bay Colony. According to the law enacted then, Christmas was not to be observed in any form or fashion. The Pennsylvania Quakers were also against it.
The early Baptist and Congregationalist churches also found no Scriptural grounds for celebrating Christ’s birth and it was not until December 25, 1772, that the Baptist Church of Newport [Rhode Island] observed Christmas for the first time. This was approximately 130 years after the founding of the first Baptist church in New England.

so anyone who thinks christmas has always been is mistaken.

Yes, I was aware of some of that. The thing is when people have become accustom to something that they love they are quick to defend it, right or wrong.

brionne

May 31, 2010
Australia
Yes, I was aware of some of that. The thing is when people have become accustom to something that they love they are quick to defend it, right or wrong.

thats right

and this is what God is looking for...he's looking to see who are willing to make sacrifices for righteousness sake.

Buzzfruit

Aug 21, 2011
Bronx, New York, U.S.A
Fair enough.
I don't like peoples birthdays being glorified but i respect the truth in celebrating Christ.
The dates do not mean much to me but when i see people with a downer on the truth in celebrating Christ, i think O' no.
I don't celebrate my birthday for my self, but others can come to do so and that is not an offence.

If one genuinely wants to celebrate the birth of Jesus then why wait until December 25? Since Jesus was not born of December 25, then any day of the year is just as good. Christians want Jesus to be put back in Christmas, how about moving the date on some other month so as to sever oneself from the commercialization of that date?

lawrance

Mar 30, 2011
You are offended by the date.
The date is if no importance to me really.
My family have it on the 24th dec as they always have and then i go to my wife's family's on the 25th. i works out fine now but i did not like it when i was younger as all my friends had it on the 25th.
We have it at night and the aussies have it early in the day.

Buzzfruit

Aug 21, 2011
Bronx, New York, U.S.A
You are offended by the date.
The date is if no importance to me really.
My family have it on the 24th dec as they always have and then i go to my wife's family's on the 25th. i works out fine now but i did not like it when i was younger as all my friends had it on the 25th.
We have it at night and the aussies have it early in the day.

Offended? No.

Most people have sheep mentality, so no Church is going to want to celebrate Jesus' birth on a different month.

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is no evidence and that came from the Oxford Dictionary of English Folklore. It was a group of scholars and researchers who wrote this dictionary, so I would tend to take their word more. There is no such thing as a god or goddess named "Halloween" or even "Hallow's Eve." If you look up the root word for it, Halloween simply means "evening." It's certainly is not anyone's fault that over the years someone else decided to turn it into something else.

As I said, I don't see anything wrong with mocking and making fun of the Devil. I certainly don't think "trick or treat" is meant as a threat, but as part of the "fun and games" attitude in the atmosphere. I go out and buy candy for the "trick or treaters" not because I don't want them to do any tricks (because I know they won't), but I do it to participate in the fun and games.
I looked up the word "hallow" in several sources, more specifically, Strong's Greek and hebrew dictionary, the Oxford dictionary, and dictionary.com. I find no connection of the word "hallow" to simply mean "evening". All references lead to "to make holy". So I'd like to know where you got your definition from.

If you go to history.com, you can read what a very trusted group has found from research on halloween. I understand you wanting to trust Oxford (and I too acknowledge their credibility), but are you going to say that the history channel has no credibility? The fact is, they really don't dispute the each other. History.com contains everything I've read from Oxford's article, but is also more complete.

I acknowledge that you think its all ok and you say it's mocking the devil by participating. I've read your statements that say the devil hates to be mocked. I'm not sure I would agree with that. In any sense, I don't know of any verse of the Bible that says we should mock the devil by imitating and acting like his minions do.

calbhach

Feb 16, 2011
It's my personal opinion that no matter what the day, we should be celebrating Jesus' entire life. We should be worshiping God no matter what day it is, and we shouldn't place higher value over one day than another. And maybe rather than partying wildly, whether it's a Halloween party or a Christmas party, we should be praying for the people who are not as fortunate as we are? We're able to do these things because we have the resources to do so. We should be thanking God for those resources. We should be praying for the people who don't have families or homes, people who can't find jobs, or things like that. We are FORTUNATE. Very fortunate. We should be praying for God's blessings upon us. And we should also be praying that on, say, Halloween, that no one will be hurt, killed, kidnapped or anything like that. We should be praying on and around Christmas time that shoppers aren't killed in ridiculous rampages through the markets, trying to get what they need, or that they won't be robbed or anything like that. That there aren't enormous accidents when people are going to and from their homes to where they're going to be spending Christmas.

It just saddens me that so many people are more worried about setting up parties, sending out invitations, and making gobs of food to be wasted when it isn't eaten rather than thinking of the people who can't have what we have.

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
yep i agree

By the way.... Add me to that list. I don't celebrate either. I will remember the resurrection, but not the traditional way of "easter". Any holiday that is named after a pagan goddess is a dead giveaway that something is wrong! But who knows... Maybe Oxford says easter really means "Sunday".

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hey,

Just wondering if there is any good in Halloween.... Can anyone name one thing that's really good about it? Some candidates might be:

1. It makes the Children happy.
2. Children get candy.
3. Grown ups get to give candy to children.
4. It mocks Satan.
5. It is an excuse for College students and adults to act like idiots.

Hey, to tell you the truth, I'm for number 5 more than the others!

But seriously.... Can any one give me something really good about Halloween? I can find good things about October 31st, but what about this Halloween or "Eveningeen" as some believe Oxford describes it as?

brionne

May 31, 2010
Australia
I looked up the word "hallow" in several sources, more specifically, Strong's Greek and hebrew dictionary, the Oxford dictionary, and dictionary.com. I find no connection of the word "hallow" to simply mean "evening". All references lead to "to make holy". So I'd like to know where you got your definition from.

'to make holy' is not what it originally meant

the word 'hell' is a derivative of 'hallow'
Hey,

Just wondering if there is any good in Halloween.... Can anyone name one thing that's really good about it? Some candidates might be:

1. It makes the Children happy.
2. Children get candy.
3. Grown ups get to give candy to children.
4. It mocks Satan.
5. It is an excuse for College students and adults to act like idiots.

Hey, to tell you the truth, I'm for number 5 more than the others!

But seriously.... Can any one give me something really good about Halloween? I can find good things about October 31st, but what about this Halloween or "Eveningeen" as some believe Oxford describes it as?

im not sure who came up with the idea that it 'mocks' satan... i dont believe thats the case at all

Halloween is the celebration of the Celtic festival of Samhain...it was the time when the veil between the human and the supernatural worlds was parted and spirits, both good and evil, roamed the earth. So the festival is more like socializing with Satan and his demons. And the way the celts celebrated was by doing all the things that were usually forbidden...drunken orgies for example... so anyone who thinks it actually mocks satan would be mistaken.

he loves halloween because everyone gets the opportunity to be like him and that is exactly what he wants.