Cessastionism ,What is it?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Joseph77

Apr 1, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The whole world is deceived. Everyone in the world: doctors included. Politicians included. Christians included (those in name only). That "MYSTICAL BUBBLE" is widespread, all -encompassing.

Jesus came to set us free, and set us free He does, as the Father directs, today, same as always. (well, yes, some tactical differences - the structure such as it was in the first century , in ACTS, Ephesians, Philippians, was different than it became later under the antichrists)

Remember or look at the letters to the Ekklesia, in the Apocalypse - how much is revealed about the troubles in the days we live in...
and
more importantly, for those who have not bent the knee to satan,
hang on to what we have in Jesus - stand fast in Jesus' Name and do not deny Him, healed or not of sickness, delivered or not from prison/ beatings/ family break-ups or other dysfunctions (society is wholly bad, broken, not living truth).... we are vexed sorely, daily by the sin all around us in churches, families, governments, doctor's offices, hospitals, politics, schools, banks, and so on....

Joseph77

Apr 1, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Missionaries allowed in the field often times get malaria and other diseases from the water and the jungle or wherever they are and they're not immune from that because they're doing the work of the Lord
footnote for what it is worth. A century ago or so, a missionary man of God in Africa during a spree of immunizing by the medical frauds, told them not to immunize him, to use what they had for other people. They insisted he might come down with it and even die if he was not immunized (a false concern of the world's direction),
and he told them to show his faith and 'proof' of God's Protection
to put the diseased infection in the open upward palm of his hand.
They were very curious what he was up to perhaps, they 'thought' they knew things, but went ahead and did as he requested.
Then, after five minutes, he gave them a sample of the "disease causing" infection they had put in his palm,
to observe under a microscope....
they looked and what their reaction was I don't know, but they saw the infection dead, not infectious any longer, when they looked at it under the microscope.
(similar to when looking at an infectious sample under a microscope AFTER killing it with penicillin or other good stuff) ....

So they did not make the missionary get the injection, and he did not get sick.

Reactions: amadeus

Joseph77

Apr 1, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
other diseases from the water
Hundreds of people in cities in the usa get other diseases from the tap water daily.
Bottled water has become more and more popular since 1992, when few people were buying it.

Increasing one's own safety by getting a filter for the shower/bath water has increased immediately the health of thousands of people - often they were on medicine for skin itching things, for three years and longer,
then no more after getting the filter..... how much money has been lost needlessly because of false diagnosis ? trillions of dollars is a good guess, if not educated estimate....

Reactions: Anthony D'Arienzo

Anthony D'Arienzo

Jan 3, 2019
georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Joseph it's good we can agree on some things. Our life is in God's hand from womb to tomb he's in control. And Hebrews 13 is promise to never leave or forsake us so we can know each day that were in his hand and whatever comes our way we're meant to deal with it.

Reactions: Joseph77

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Where do you see that?
The problem might not be a denial of power at all.
The problem more than likely is confused ideas about what power was given to whom.
The Apostles were unique.There were signs of an Apostle.
You are not an Apostle.
No one on this board is an Apostle.
Show me the scripture that requires one to be an apostle to have the gifts of the Holy Spirit operating in them....and furthermore they were disciples of Christ and Jesus commissioned them to go and make others disciples as well.
Can God do anything He chooses? Is anything impossible to God? Can He manifest His power if He chooses?
Are you one of those that was spoken of in scripture that have a form of godliness but denies the power thereof?
I could go on but bottom line for those who believe no explanation is necessary.....to those who don't believe no explanation will suffice.

Reactions: Rita and amadeus

Joseph77

Apr 1, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Joseph it's good we can agree on some things. Our life is in God's hand from womb to tomb he's in control. And Hebrews 13 is promise to never leave or forsake us so we can know each day that were in his hand and whatever comes our way we're meant to deal with it.
Amen! even HALLELUYAH ! ----
Always in line, in harmony, in agreement with Scripture/ God's Plan, God's Purpose, in Jesus !

Reactions: Anthony D'Arienzo

Joseph77

Apr 1, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
(I think) when someone (of which there are many) is in a city, a group, an assembly, and never sees the power of God in the lives of people around them, never sees miracles or healing,
it maybe is impossible,
or at least no reason to
go look for miracles or healing or power outside of their lives/ circle of friends, whether in simple faith or otherwise.
Many churches refuse to permit healing, and oppose even the doctor's who are healing people naturally without drugs.

Anthony D'Arienzo

Jan 3, 2019
georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Show me the scripture that requires one to be an apostle to have the gifts of the Holy Spirit operating in them....and furthermore they were disciples of Christ and Jesus commissioned them to go and make others disciples as well.
Can God do anything He chooses? Is anything impossible to God? Can He manifest His power if He chooses?
Are you one of those that was spoken of in scripture that have a form of godliness but denies the power thereof?
I could go on but bottom line for those who believe no explanation is necessary.....to those who don't believe no explanation will suffice.
Thank you for your response. I will respond after I am finished working.

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Hundreds of people in cities in the usa get other diseases from the tap water daily.
Bottled water has become more and more popular since 1992, when few people were buying it.

Increasing one's own safety by getting a filter for the shower/bath water has increased immediately the health of thousands of people - often they were on medicine for skin itching things, for three years and longer,
then no more after getting the filter..... how much money has been lost needlessly because of false diagnosis ? trillions of dollars is a good guess, if not educated estimate....

Mate I have been drinking tank water and spring water straight from the source from a local spring for 1 and a half years now.

Town water tastes strange now.

Reactions: historyb

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
There are different types of cessationist too
This is true. Cessationism is based upon 1 Corinthians 13:8-10, which is backed up by historical evidence. But not all believe that prophecy, tongues, and knowledge (which would be supernatural) would cease when the Bible had been completed ("that which is complete" not "He who is perfect").

At the same time, there were several sign gifts given to the apostles and their companions (and probably to other Christians). "Miracles" and "healings" are listed in the previous chapter. The Bible tells us that God gave these gifts to be a witness to the divine origin of the Gospel.

How shall we escape, if we neglect so great salvation; which at the first began to be spoken by the Lord, and was confirmed unto us by them that heard him; God also bearing them witness, both with signs and wonders, and with divers miracles, and gifts of the Holy Ghost, according to his own will? (Heb 2:3,4)

Since about 20 spiritual gifts are listed in the New Testament, the MAJORITY of gifts have continued. And modern tongues are not the same as biblical tongues.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A cessationist is a person who believes that the gifts of the spirit are no longer necessary because we have the completed word of God. This was first espoused by J. N. Darby of the Plymouth Brethren in the U.K. who adopted this idea and made it part of their statement of faith. If you can find one it is set out in the J.N. Darby study bible.

Their main scripture used to prove this is 1Corinthians 13:10 but when the perfect thing comes, then that which is in part will be caused to cease.

According to them, the part is the gifts of the spirit and the perfect is the bible. Now that we have the perfect Bible we don't need the imperfect gifts of the spirit.

This theology has been adopted by the Reform movement championed amongst others by John MacArthur.
John MacArthur teaches that the "signs gifts" stopped, but the gifts of the Spirit continue.

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
They think they're doing a good thing or that this is what is really going on but it's a fabricated poor substitute for the truth of the word of God.
Why does it have to be a substitute? Isn't the gift of the teacher to be to teach the Word of God, the Bible? Does not the gift of teaching do the same? Teach the Bible?

Much love!

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Isn't the gift of the teacher to be to teach the Word of God, the Bible?
The gifts of evangelist, pastor, and teacher are still valid for today (Ephesians 4). "Pastor" is the gift, not the office. The elders (plural) in New Testament churches would have had these gifts, and also the gift of "government" or "ruling" (plus other gifts).

Contrary to modern practice, all churches should have a presbytery or plurality of elders, who will have these various gifts - which are still essential. God never intended one man to carry the burden of being "a pastor" (and certainly not "a priest" -- since all believers are kings and priests within a Royal Priesthood).

As you can see, modern Christianity -- by and large -- has departed from the New Testament pattern, and that is why there are so many issues.

Anthony D'Arienzo

Jan 3, 2019
georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
2 cor12:12 declares there were signs of an Apostle.
There are no Apostles on earth today.
Yes we are to make disciples.Mt28
God can do anything that He chooses,even close off the new revelation after giving us all we need that pertains to life and godliness..Rev22:18-19.
2 pet1.
Yes,there are things that are impossible to God.
He cannot lie,sin, or change.Those are NOT POSSIBLE.
God saves people, God heals people, God kills people,that is the biblical God. We cannot just make up a God who does what we think He should.
I do not think you understand what the power of God is.
You seem to imply it is evident in the false ministries we see in mega churches.
It is not so much what you believe, but what does scripture say.

Reactions: Waiting on him

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
@Anthony D'Arienzo

Perhaps you need to go for a missionary trip to a 3rd world country with faith filled Christians, you will then see that Jesus can still work miracles, 3rd world Christian's really do trust God a lot, and there is so much belief amoung them that God can still do miracles still and a lot of supernatural miracles from God happen in these 3rd world countries as a result, supernatural miracles from God happen in 1st world countries too, but not as much as the 3rd world.

Maybe you should watch some Reinhard Bonkke and see how many miracles the Holy Spirit did through him on his missionary trips or maybe you should read some Smith Wigglesworth books. ;)

Reactions: Rita

Anthony D'Arienzo

Jan 3, 2019
georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Anthony D'Arienzo

Perhaps you need to go for a missionary trip to a 3rd world country with faith filled Christians, you will then see that Jesus can still work miracles, 3rd world Christian's really do trust God a lot, and there is so much belief amoung them that God can still do miracles still and a lot of supernatural miracles from God happen in these 3rd world countries as a result.

Maybe you should watch some Reinhard Bonkke and see how many miracles the Holy Spirit did through him on his missionary trips or maybe you should read some Smith Wigglesworth books. ;)
I believe in scripture, not Christian science fiction.
Nothing is happening in the 3rd world as these false ministries suggest.
Missionaries who actually minister there say these charlatans hinder the work of the gospel being spread.
If you feel you can make a scriptural case go for it.
Just making assertions does not get it done.
I have went to several meetings of big name ministries, right up front.
No one was healed, no one spoke in real biblical tongues,no one.
I know the teaching, I know the verses that are twisted.I read of these people before you were born.

Reactions: Waiting on him

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I believe in scripture, not Christian science fiction.
Nothing is happening in the 3rd world as these false ministries suggest.
Missionaries who actually minister there say these charlatans hinder the work of the gospel being spread.
If you feel you can make a scriptural case go for it.
Just making assertions does not get it done.
I have went to several meetings of big name ministries, right up front.
No one was healed, no one spoke in real biblical tongues,no one.

Lolz you lied, because I have experienced supernatural miracles from God in my life and so have many other members in these forums. ;)

Reactions: amadeus

Anthony D'Arienzo

Jan 3, 2019
georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Lolz you lied, because I have experienced supernatural miracles from God in my life and so have many other members in these forums. ;)
Like what for example?Clarify what you mean.
No one here is as been to heaven,nobody.

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Can any non-cessationist define this? In other words what scriptures are used to teach this?
They use 1 Cor 13 which says the gifts described in the previous chapter will be done away.

They erroneously think it happened after the N.T. was completed.

The passage refers to the return and reign of Christ for 1000 years, not when the N.T. was completed.

We still now, see though a "welders mask"(darkly).

We will not see clearly until Jesus returns, then obviously, we will not need the "partial" gifts.