Christians and the Law of Moses

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

marksman

My eldest granddaughter showing the result of her
Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
37 Scriptures That Prove Christians Are Not Under The Law

Many Christians give lip service to the fact they live in the New Covenant.

The truth however is that because they fail to realise they are no longer under the law they are really still living in an Old Covenant reality.

Here are 37 scriptures that prove that Christians are not under the law!

Acts
The law is an unbearable yoke. (Acts 15:10)

Romans
The law reveals sin but cannot fix it. (Romans 3:20)

If the law worked then faith would be irrelevant. (Romans 4:14)

The law brings wrath upon those who follow it. (Romans 4:15)

The purpose of the law was to increase sin. (Romans 5:20)

Christians are not under the law. (Romans 6:14)

Christians have been delivered from the law. (Romans 7:1-6)

The law is good, perfect and holy but cannot help you be good, perfect or holy. (Romans 7:7-12)

The law which promises life only brings death through sin. (Romans 7:10)

The law makes you sinful beyond measure. (Romans 7:13)

The law is weak. (Romans 8:2-3)

1 Corinthians
The strength of sin is the law (1 Corinthians 15:56)

2 Corinthians
The law is a ministry of death. (2 Corinthians 3:7)

The law is a ministry of condemnation. (2 Corinthians 3:9)

The law has no glory at all in comparison with the New Covenant. (2 Corinthians 3:10)

The law is fading away. (2 Corinthians 3:11)

Anywhere the law is preached it produces a mind-hardening and a heart-hardening veil. (2 Corinthians 3:14-15)

Galatians
The law justifies nobody. (Galatians 2:16)

Christians are dead to the law. (Galatians 2:19)

The law frustrates grace. (Galatians 2:21)

To go back to the law after embracing faith is “stupid”. (Galatians 3:1)

The law curses all who practice it and fail to do it perfectly. (Galatians 3:10)

The law has nothing to do with faith. (Galatians 3:11-12)

The law was a curse that Christ redeemed us from. (Galatians 3:13)

The law functioned in God’s purpose as a temporary covenant from Moses till John the Baptist announced Christ. (Galatians 3:16 & 19, also see… Matthew 11:12-13, Luke 16:16)

If the law worked God would have used it to save us. (Galatians 3:21)

The law was our prison. (Galatians 3:23)

The law makes you a slave like Hagar. (Galatians 4:24)

Ephesians
Christ has abolished the law which was a wall of hostility (Ephesians 2:15)

Philippians
Paul considered everything the law gained him as “skybalon” which is Greek for “poop”. (Philippians 3:4-8)

1 Timothy
The law is only good if used in the right context. (1 Timothy 1:8) (see next verse for the context)

It was made for the unrighteous but not for the righteous. (1 Timothy 1:9-10)

Hebrews
The law is weak, useless and makes nothing perfect. (Hebrews 7:18-19)

God has found fault with it and created a better covenant, enacted on better promises. (Hebrews 8:7-8)

It is obsolete, growing old and ready to vanish. (Hebrews 8:13)

It is only a shadow of good things to come and will never make someone perfect. (Hebrews 10:1)

Well there you have it… 37 scriptures that make a very convincing arguement.

Very impressive but you forgot one thing. Jesus came to fulfil the law and if we are in Christ, then we too fulfil the law.

BOWnQUIVER

Jul 7, 2020
catskills
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If Paul taught the same gospel as those before him, then why did he call it “my gospel” three times?

Paul uses both phrases “the gospel” and “our gospel” in his epistles, but when Paul mentions “my gospel” it shows that he had a unique message.

Its pretty simple really. Gospel means good news. The gospel is my good news also.

BOWnQUIVER

Jul 7, 2020
catskills
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Actually not quite. For reasons I won't go into here, they measure it from Thursday night... From the garden. Being in the heart of the earth doesn't mean dead necessarily.

No, i suppose not if your buried alive. But Christ was not buried alive

BOWnQUIVER

Jul 7, 2020
catskills
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Acts
The law is an unbearable yoke. (Acts 15:10)

The law of circumsion. Not the 10 commandments

Acts 15:5-11 (KJV)
5 But there rose up certain of the sect of the Pharisees which believed, saying, That it was needful to circumcise them, and to command them to keep the law of Moses.
6 And the apostles and elders came together for to consider of this matter.
7 And when there had been much disputing, Peter rose up, and said unto them, Men and brethren, ye know how that a good while ago God made choice among us, that the Gentiles by my mouth should hear the word of the gospel, and believe.
8 And God, which knoweth the hearts, bare them witness, giving them the Holy Ghost, even as he did unto us;
9 And put no difference between us and them, purifying their hearts by faith.
10 Now therefore why tempt ye God, to put a yoke upon the neck of the disciples, which neither our fathers nor we were able to bear?
11 But we believe that through the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ we shall be saved, even as they.

The yoke of bondage is simply circumsion

BOWnQUIVER

Jul 7, 2020
catskills
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
GALATIANS 4 [21] Tell me, ye that desire to be under the law, do ye not hear the law? [22] For it is written, that Abraham had two sons, the one by a bondmaid, the other by a freewoman. [23] But he who was of the bondwoman was born after the flesh; but he of the freewoman was by promise. [24] Which things are an allegory: for these are the TWO COVENANTS; THE ONE FROM THE MOUNT SINAI, WHICH GENDERETH TO BONDAGE, WHICH IS AGAR. [25] For this Agar is mount Sinai in Arabia, and answereth to Jerusalem which now is, and is in bondage with her children. [26] But Jerusalem which is above is free, which is the mother of us all.......... [30] Nevertheless what saith the scripture? Cast out the bondwoman and her son: for the son of the bondwoman shall not be heir with the son of the freewoman.

Is the above scripture speaking of the 10 commandments as the many claim or is it simply speaking of circumcision?

EXODUS 34 [28] And he was there with the Lord forty days and forty nights; he did neither eat bread, nor drink water. And he wrote upon the tables the words of the COVENANT, the TEN COMMANDMENTS.

ACTS 7 [8] And he gave him the COVENANT OF CIRCUMCISION: and so Abraham begat Isaac, and circumcised him the eighth day; and Isaac begat Jacob; and Jacob begat the twelve patriarchs.

BOTH the 10 commandments and circumcision were givin as “covenants”

EXODUS 24 [12] And the Lord said unto Moses, COME UP TO ME INTO THE MOUNT, and be there: and I WILL GIVE THEE tables of stone, AND A LAW, AND COMMANDMENTS which I have written; that thou mayest teach them.

LEVITICUS 7 [37] THIS IS THE LAW OF THE BURNT OFFERING, of the meat offering, and of the sin offering, and of the trespass offering, and of the consecrations, and of the sacrifice of the peace offerings; [38] WHICH THE LORD COMMANDED MOSES IN MOUNT SINAI, in the day that he commanded the children of Israel to offer their oblations unto the Lord, in the wilderness of Sinai.

Both covenants, the 10 commandments and the law of Moses were given at Mt Sinai.

JOHN 7 [21] Jesus answered and said unto them, I have done one work, and ye all marvel.[22] MOSES THEREFORE GAVE UNTO YOU CIRCUMCISION; (not because it is of Moses, but of the fathers;) and ye on the sabbath day circumcise a man.[23] If a man on the sabbath day RECEIVE CIRCUMCISION, THAT THE LAW OF MOSES SHOULD NOT BE BROKEN; are ye angry at me, because I have made a man every whit whole on the sabbath day?

Circumcision is of the law of Moses and given at Sinai. So which of these, the 10 commandments or circumcision do the scriptures say bring us into “bondage” {Gal.4:24}?

And the winner is....

GALATIANS 5 [1] Stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free, and BE NOT ENTANGLED AGAIN WITH THE YOKE OF BONDAGE. [2] Behold, I Paul say unto you, that IF YE BE CIRCUMCISED, CHRIST SHALL PROFIT YOU NOTHING.

And again...

GALATIANS 2 [3] But neither Titus, who was with me, being a Greek, was COMPELLED TO BE CIRCUMCISED: [4]And that because of false brethren unawares brought in, who came in privily to spy out our liberty which we have in Christ Jesus, that they might BRING US INTO BONDAGE:

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No we are not, we are accountable to Christ and God, no more no less, if you choose to fight God on this, you do so on your own.

We are indeed accountable to God; and the standard that He holds us accountable to is His law.

Being in Christ saves a man, believing in what He did, not what men can do. Faith, lots of "christians" out there..

Of course I was referring to true Christians; those who have placed their faith wholly in what Jesus did for them on the Cross.

Only teh Jews, I came to Christ because of Him, not by any laws.

You didn't come to Christ...you came to an imaginary version of Him that does not exist. For the Jesus that you believe in is not God...and the Jesus of the Bible is God.

And it is true that we do not come to Him by any laws. How then is the law a schoolmaster to lead men to Christ (Galatians 3:24)? It is, in that, it shows mankind that he is a sinner in need of a Saviour (Romans 3:20, Psalms 19:7 (kjv))

Last edited:

BOWnQUIVER

Jul 7, 2020
catskills
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Christians are not under the law. (Romans 6:14)
Romans 6:13-14 (KJV)
13 Neither yield ye your members as instruments of unrighteousness unto sin: but yield yourselves unto God, as those that are alive from the dead, and your members as instruments of righteousness unto God.
14 For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law, but under grace.

what law are we not under?

JOHN 1 [15] John bare witness of him, and cried, saying, This was he of whom I spake, He that cometh after me is preferred before me: for he was before me. [16] And of his fulness have all we received, and grace for grace. [17] FOR THE LAW WAS GIVEN BY MOSES, BUT GRACE AND TRUTH CAME BY JESUS CHRIST.

What law was givin by Moses?

LEVITICUS 16 [15] Then shall he KILL THE GOAT OF THE SIN OFFERING, that is for the people, and BRING HIS BLOOD WITHIN THE VAIL, and do with that blood as he did with the blood of the bullock, and sprinkle it upon the mercy seat, and before the mercy seat:

Under the law of Moses the sin offering was the blood of animals {meat and drink offerings which were the shadow of Christ}. They were brought within the vail. When Christ died on the cross the vail was rent {Luke 23v45}

LUKE 23 [44] And it was about the sixth hour, and there was a darkness over all the earth until the ninth hour. [45] And the sun was darkened, and THE VEIL OF THE TEMPLE WAS RENT in the midst. [46] And when Jesus had cried with a loud voice, he said, Father, into thy hands I commend my spirit: and having said thus, he gave up the ghost.

The law fulfilled. No more shadows. Keep in mind the shadow of Christ were the meat and drink offerings that were performed on the new moons, feast days and the sabbath days

EPHESIANS 1 [6] To the praise of the glory of HIS GRACE, wherein he hath made us accepted in the beloved. [7] In whom we have redemption through HIS BLOOD, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of HIS GRACE;

By grace our sins are now forgiven through His blood and not the blood of animals

HEBREWS 13 [9] Be not carried about with divers and strange doctrines. For it is a good thing that THE HEART BE ESTABLISHED WITH GRACE; NOT WITH MEATS, which have not profited them that have been occupied therein. [10] We have an altar, whereof they have no right to eat which serve the tabernacle. [11] For THE BODIES OF THOSE BEASTS, WHOSE BLOOD is brought into the sanctuary by the high priest for sin, are burned without the camp. [12] Wherefore Jesus also, that he might sanctify the people with his own blood, suffered without the gate. [13] Let us go forth therefore unto him without the camp, bearing his reproach.

Hebrews 13 says it all. We are no longer under that portion of the law of Moses. It has been fulfilled by Christ. No more meat and drink offerings for the forgivness of sins.

JOHN 6 [55] For my flesh is MEAT indeed, and my blood is DRINK indeed.

BOWnQUIVER

Jul 7, 2020
catskills
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Actually, it was given first to Abraham.

Yeah Abe heard His voice

GENESIS 26 [3] Sojourn in this land, and I will be with thee, and will bless thee; for unto thee, and unto thy seed, I will give all these countries, and I WILL PERFORM THE OATH WHICH I SWARE UNTO ABRAHAM thy father; [4] And I will make thy seed to multiply as the stars of heaven, and will give unto thy seed all these countries; and in thy seed shall all the nations of the earth be blessed; [5] BECAUSE THAT ABRAHAM OBEYED MY VOICE, and kept my charge, MY COMMANDMENTS, my statutes, and MY LAWS.

So why was Abraham observing to keep Gods 10 commandmentsbefore they were given to Israel by Moses? He heard and obeyed Gods "voice"

DEUT. 27 [8] And thou shalt write upon the stones all the words of this law very plainly. [9] And Moses and the priests the Levites spake unto all Israel, saying, Take heed, and hearken, O Israel; this day thou art become the people of the Lord thy God . [10] Thou shalt therefore OBEY THE VOICE of the Lord thy God, and DO HIS COMMANDMENTS and his statutes, which I command thee this day.

DEUT. 4 [12] And the Lord spake unto you out of the midst of the fire: ye heard THE VOICE of the words, but saw no similitude; only ye heard a voice. [13] And he declared unto you his covenant, which HE COMMANDED YOU TO PERFORM, EVEN TEN COMMANDMENTS; and he wrote them upon two tables of stone.

The voice...The 10 commandments. No doubt about it

And today if you hear His voice harden not your heart

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
We are indeed accountable to God; and the standard that He holds us accountable to is His law.
We are held as you say, to His standard, but by "your" standard we are all already dead. By your standard no man will be or could be saved, not even you. The standard you set for everyone else is teh one you will be judged by.

BloodBought 1953

Jun 3, 2020
Portsmouth Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Very impressive but you forgot one thing. Jesus came to fulfil the law and if we are in Christ, then we too fulfil the law.[/QUOTEi

I “ forgot” nothing.....I was making the point that those who want to glorify their precious Law are mistaken .....the Law has NO POWER to SAVE....it is “ useless” in that regard....the Gospel Of 2cor15:1-4 is where the Power is......time to take the Law off the mantle and replace it with the Gospel Of GRACE....

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
@Blood Bought 1953 quote...“ forgot” nothing.....I was making the point that those who want to glorify their precious Law are mistaken .....the Law has NO POWER to SAVE...
Correct. And I would like you to quote one person, just one, on this forum who has suggested the law can save. Should be easy yeah,? As you said, those that want to glorify their previous law... So who are they? Where are they? Please produce just one.

Reactions: marksman

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You continue to maintain a warped view about the Ten Commandments. So let's make is real simple:

FOR THE UNSAVED ----> the ministry of death (meaning condemnation for breaking the commandments)

FOR THE SAVED-----> the ministry of life (meaning the foundation for the Law of Love written on hearts and minds)

If you will persist in your error then you will give account for misleading others.

No, I am not misleading others. These are two covenants. the 1st Covenant is the Ten Commandments, and the sign was the Sabbath. Are you keeping the 7th day Sabbath? Should we be? But the New Covenant is all about believing in Jesus. He is the one who gives us His Spirit and writes His law of LOVE on our hearts. Keeping the Sabbath in not written on our hearts. That was an outward sign - a work of the Law of Moses. The Cup of the New Testament is the sign of the New Covenant.

Those misleading others are those who tell us to keep the letter of the Law, including the Sabbath. Is that what you are doing? But without the Spirit of Christ, a person does not belong to Christ. So who is doing the misleading? Teach the importance of being baptized in the Holy Spirit; then you won't be misleading others either.

We are not lawless when Paul says we are not be under the Law of Moses, as you may mistake me for believing. No! We keep a tougher law, the eternal law, that no one could keep under the Ten Commandments. The eternal law makes us righteous to the core, and kept easily because Jesus changes our nature to keep them naturally.

Last edited:

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Can we possibly have a reasonable conversation without you trying to read my mind and judge my motives?
Motives, all your posts so one thing, put a heavy burden around the necks of men, As I said, you are unwilling to leave your religion and its doctrines for Christ, untill you do your motives will not change, what did that post say about fighting God, for that is what you do. You wont win.