Christians and the Law of Moses

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

BloodBought 1953

Jun 3, 2020
Portsmouth Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Actually, here is something you might have missed in Christianity 101...

2 Corinthians 5:10 and Romans 14:10-12.

Certain translations mistranslate John 5:24 impaho...as saying that we will not come into judgment. But that contradicts the scriptures that I have referenced above.

The kjv translates it condemnation...no contradiction.

Christians will face their bema seat judgment; which is spoken of in 1 Corinthians 3:11-15.

The “ Bema” Seat is where Believers will get their rewards .....their sins have already been dealt with.... God does not remember them anymore.....

Reactions: mjrhealth

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
How is your rejection of God's commandments taken care of?
Rejected Gods commandments, who would do such a thing, see that is what religion does, and why you will refuse to leave it for His sake, love hanging burdens around the necks of men, you all think that you will stand before God perfect by the law, but how ashamed will you be found when you find out that at that you failed dismally, is that when you run to Grace.. No you have rejected Grace you cant run from the law, because all you know is the old. You are an SDA because you choose its doctrines over the truth just as ever man who chooses religion and its doctrines over the truth, and that is one burden not even Jesus can help you with because HE would have to reject His own works to do so.,

Luk 5:36 And he spake also a parable unto them; No man putteth a piece of a new garment upon an old; if otherwise, then both the new maketh a rent, and the piece that was taken out of the new agreeth not with the old.
Luk 5:37 And no man putteth new wine into old bottles; else the new wine will burst the bottles, and be spilled, and the bottles shall perish.
Luk 5:38 But new wine must be put into new bottles; and both are preserved.
Luk 5:39 No man also having drunk old wine straightway desireth new: for he saith, The old is better.

But that is what you do, try put the new wine into that old wineskin.

Reactions: amadeus

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Law of Moses has caused a lot of confusion among Christians and continues to do so. Some Christians believe that nothing within the Torah is applicable to them. Others go in the opposite direction and imagine that everything is still valid. And that is why it is necessary to understand how the Law of Moses applies (or does not apply) today to those who are under the New Covenant.

WHERE IS IT FOUND?

The Law of Moses is frequently referred to as the Torah, but it is only the last four books of the Torah which actually contain the Law. So we need to know what is written in Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, and Deuteronomy.

HOW IS IT FOUND?

When we study those books we find that God’s commandments are interspersed with the history of the Israelites in the wilderness. So all the laws are not found in one place, neither are they all categorized neatly into their different components.

WHAT ARE THE COMPONENTS OF THE LAW?

There are at least ten broad components to the Law of Moses. They are laws applicable to the:

1. Tabernacle (or temple) and its sacrifices and offerings
2. Levitical priesthood
3. Levites
4. Feasts (including harvests, tithes, feasts, festivals and holy days)
5. Covenants with Israel
6. Civil and military laws (including laws applicable to physical appearance, purification, Nazarites, marriage, inheritance, vows, numbering, battles, sieges, and spoils of war, kings, division of land, etc.)
7. Criminal laws or laws of justice (including usury) which frequently had the death penalty
8. Health and disease laws
9. Dietary laws, and
10. Moral and Spiritual laws (including the Ten Commandments)

THE TEN COMMANDMENT ARE ETERNAL
The Ten Commandments are based upon the absolute holiness and righteousness of God – the character of God. Since God does not change, those laws are eternal. While they were written on tablets of stone in the Old Covenant, they are written on hearts and minds by the Holy Spirit within the New Covenant. And they are summed up in the Law of Christ, which is the Law of Love. So Christians are not lawless and devoid of the commandments of God. Indeed the Law of Love is even more stringent than the Law of Moses.

WHICH LAWS ARE NULL AND VOID

According to the epistle to the Hebrews, the laws pertaining to the tabernacle or temple, the Levitical priesthood, the Levities, the offerings and sacrifices, the feasts, festivals and holy days, as well as ceremonial observances, are all null and void. Other laws pertaining to Israel as a nation cannot be applied since the temple has been destroyed. So the only laws which are meaningful are the moral and spiritual laws.

WHICH LAWS ARE STILL VALID

According to Acts 15:28,29, the Holy Spirit has applied only four laws to the Church, and they primarily forbid the consumption of blood or meats sacrificed to idols. Fornication is also forbidden:
For it seemed good to the Holy Ghost, and to us, to lay upon you no greater burden than these necessary things; That ye [1] abstain from meats offered to idols, and [2] from blood, and [3] from things strangled, and [4] from fornication: from which if ye keep yourselves, ye shall do well. Fare ye well.

The Ten Commandments are not eternal, themselves, but are based on the Eternal Laws of God which are to Love the Lord your God with all your heart, mind and body, and Love your neighbor as yourself. The Eternal Laws of God are the ones written on our heart. The New Covenant Laws of Jesus are more closely aligned to the Eternal Laws than were the Ten Commandments.

The Ten Commandments are the MINISTRY OF DEATH. They are not eternal. They were ONLY until Jesus. "It was added because of transgressions, till the Seed should come to whom the promise was made." Jesus gave us the MINISTRY OF THE SPIRIT. The Spirit is how the Eternal Laws of God are written on our heart. They go much deeper than the surface laws in the Ten Commandments. The Sermon on the Mount shows the change. "You have heard it said of old...BUT I SAY UNTO YOU... This changed outward murder, down to the inward hate. Likewise, He changed the outward act of adultery, down to the inward lust. They are in 1 John 3:23

John 15:10
10 If you keep My commandments (1 John 3:23), you will abide in My love, just as I have kept My Father’s commandments (Exodus 20) and abide in His love.

The Laws written on our heart through the Ministry of the Spirit super-sensitizes our conscience. By keeping a clear conscience the Spirit assures us we are abiding in Jesus and He in us, and are pleasing in His sight. 1 John 3:21-24.

Last edited:

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Okay, fine. Tell us how they fit into your life. What part, if any, do they play in the context of your relationship with Jesus?
You know that bit, Have faith in God, have you ever considered it, I doubt it, you have something to prove, something that cant be done because Christ was sent to do it, but men are proud and arrogant, always wanting to prove to God how good they are. But you will insist an putting yokes around teh necks of men.

Mat_11:29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.
Mat_11:30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.

I guess it is not enough for you.

Act_15:10 Now therefore why tempt ye God, to put a yoke upon the neck of the disciples, which neither our fathers nor we were able to bear?

Keep doing it, its your burden not His, though pride will never allow you to admit it. Terrible thing pride, devils favourite tool.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The Ten Commandments are the MINISTRY OF DEATH.
The Ten Commandments are the ministry of death TO THE UNSAVED. Why? Because they establish guilt before God.

But Life to the saved: And the commandment, which was ordained to life, I found to be unto death... Wherefore the Law is holy, and the commandment holy, and just, and good. (Rom 7:10,12)

If you do not maintain the proper biblical balance, you will mislead yourself and others. Jesus said that the two GREATEST commandments (which are not stated in the Ten Commandments) are (1) perfect love towards God and (2) perfect love towards your neighbor. This is the Law of Love. But here's how it is found in the Ten Commandments.

1. PERFECT LOVE TOWARDS GOD---> the first four commandments

2. PERFECT LOVE TOWARDS OTHERS---> the last six commandments (see Romans 13).

As you can see you cannot divorce the Ten Commandments from the Law of Christ. And since believers will love God perfectly in eternity , those commandments are indeed eternal.

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Ten Commandments are the ministry of death TO THE UNSAVED. Why? Because they establish guilt before God.

But Life to the saved: And the commandment, which was ordained to life, I found to be unto death... Wherefore the Law is holy, and the commandment holy, and just, and good. (Rom 7:10,12)

If you do not maintain the proper biblical balance, you will mislead yourself and others. Jesus said that the two GREATEST commandments (which are not stated in the Ten Commandments) are (1) perfect love towards God and (2) perfect love towards your neighbor. This is the Law of Love. But here's how it is found in the Ten Commandments.

1. PERFECT LOVE TOWARDS GOD---> the first four commandments

2. PERFECT LOVE TOWARDS OTHERS---> the last six commandments (see Romans 13).

As you can see you cannot divorce the Ten Commandments from the Law of Christ. And since believers will love God perfectly in eternity , those commandments are indeed eternal.

It showed us our sin. Jesus took away our sin, thus the written laws of the ministry of death are no longer needed, because the eternal law is written on our hearts by the Spirit. The ministry of the Spirit has replaced the ministry of death. Romans 8:2 The law of the Spirit of life in Christ (the Spirit of the law) has set me free from the law of sin and death (sin and the Ten Commandments - (the letter of the law)

I see you do the same thing I do with the New Covenant commandments. 1 John 3:23

1. Believe on the name of His Son, Jesus Christ ---> the first four commandments.
2. Love your neighbor as yourself ---> the last six commandments.

2 Corinthians 3:6-11
6 who also made us sufficient as ministers of the new covenant, not of the letter but of the Spirit; for the letter kills, but the Spirit gives life. 7 But if the ministry of death, written and engraved on stones, was glorious, so that the children of Israel could not look steadily at the face of Moses because of the glory of his countenance, which glory was passing away, 8 how will the ministry of the Spirit not be more glorious? 9 For if the ministry of condemnation had glory, the ministry of righteousness exceeds much more in glory. 10 For even what was made glorious had no glory in this respect, because of the glory that excels. 11 For if what is passing away was glorious, what remains is much more glorious.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
It showed us our sin. Jesus took away our sin, thus the written laws of the ministry of death are no longer needed, because the eternal law is written on our hearts by the Spirit.
You continue to maintain a warped view about the Ten Commandments. So let's make is real simple:

FOR THE UNSAVED ----> the ministry of death (meaning condemnation for breaking the commandments)

FOR THE SAVED-----> the ministry of life (meaning the foundation for the Law of Love written on hearts and minds)

If you will persist in your error then you will give account for misleading others.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
You continue to maintain a warped view about the Ten Commandments. So let's make is real simple:

FOR THE UNSAVED ----> the ministry of death (meaning condemnation for breaking the commandments)

FOR THE SAVED-----> the ministry of life (meaning the foundation for the Law of Love written on hearts and minds)

If you will persist in your error then you will give account for misleading others.
The law has no life in it, it was brought in for one purpose, than Christ undid all the law had done, and yes many do have a warped idea of the law, thats why they choose to serve it.

Is the law your husband or Christ, or will you continue to play the harlot..

Act_15:10 Now therefore why tempt ye God, to put a yoke upon the neck of the disciples, which neither our fathers nor we were able to bear?

The law was never our husband, do you prefer the other man, the law, to the one who is supposed to be your husband, Christ.

Reactions: amadeus

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And you have condemned yourself and all mankind to death, the law is all about you, and works, it is why so many "want" to be judged buy them, hoping to prove them selves able, such foolish things only come from the religious. If the law is going to judge men, that grace has failed dismally, but you are to blinded to see that.

Do you not understand why God sent Jesus, do you think men can out do the works that Christ has done, did you not notice that only one was found to be worthy to open the lambs book of life and that man was Jesus. Not you or any one of us.

And we go round and round.

I am saying that both jew and gentile alike are accountable to the law.

While the church...those who have been redeemed by the blood of the Lamb...are not under the law (Romans 6:14) are dead to the law (Romans 7:4, Galatians 2:19) and are delivered from the law (Romans 7:6).

Those who are redeemed are obedient to the spirit of the law (Romans 7:6); it governs us from the inside (Hebrews 8:8-10, Hebrews 10:16, Romans 8:7, Romans 8:4).

Those who are redeemed are also delivered from the law. It does not any longer condemn us.

This does not apply to the gentile simply because he is a gentile; neither to the jew simply because he is a jew.

But it applies to the church because we believe in Christ and His shed blood.

Iow, being a gentile does not save a man.

Being a Christian saves a man.

Last edited:

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The “ Bema” Seat is where Believers will get their rewards .....their sins have already been dealt with.... God does not remember them anymore.....

The things that we do that are sins, when we are doing them, we are not doing what will amount to gold, silver, and precious gems at our bema seat judgment. So, there will be loss of reward because of our sins....while it is also true that the Lord doesn't remember them any more.

The Ten Commandments are the MINISTRY OF DEATH. They are not eternal. They were ONLY until Jesus.

After Jesus, we have the following statement by Paul in Romans:

Rom 13:8, Owe no man any thing, but to love one another: for he that loveth another hath fulfilled the law.
Rom 13:9, For this, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not kill, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, Thou shalt not covet; and if there be any other commandment, it is briefly comprehended in this saying, namely, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
Rom 13:10, Love worketh no ill to his neighbour: therefore love is the fulfilling of the law.

So then, in being obedient to the love of the Lord as it is shed abroad in our hearts, we will be fulfilling the ten commandments.

BloodBought 1953

Jun 3, 2020
Portsmouth Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Okay, fine. Tell us how they fit into your life. What part, if any, do they play in the context of your relationship with Jesus?

I reject the Commands Of God insofar as Salvation is concerned.....upon the advice of Paul....

The Law is great if used properly ....that “ proper use” is to show you that you can’t keep it ....That “ proper use” is to “ shut up your mouth” about all pretensions that you “ Can” Keep it.....that “ proper use” is to show you that you are a Lost Sinner who MUST have a Savior to do what you were never even “ meant” to do.....

Who cares about ANYTHING that is “ Weak and Useless” and only stirs up sin wherever it is preached ? “ The Law was given so that SIN MIGHT INCREASE”...God WANTED Sin to Increase, so that hopefully , people we will get SICK of it ....and then DO SOMETHING about it! And “ doing something about it does NOT mean to pile on MORE laws and just WORK HARDER to Keep them......Paul showed us the Route to live a life that is pleasing to God ..... HEAR the Gospel ( 1Cor15:1-4 ) .....BELIEVE the Gospel ....REST in the Gospel.....Put your Trust in what HE did “ FOR” you with the Finished Work Of The Cross, abandon Forever the belief of “ Trying “ to be Saved by your pitiful attempts at “ perfection” and start “ TRUSTING” to be Saved.....

Jesus did NOT come to Earth to Preach some kind Of Law-Based Formula —That If adhered to— to a certain “ passable” level.....would make you “ Fit For Heaven”
Quite to the contrary , Jesus preached One Thing and One Thing ONLY—- HIMSELF! ( without ME , you can do NOTHING. ) Jesus taught that Mankind was Lost, and that only HE and His Willing Sacrifice ,the Shedding Of His Blood at the Cross could make things Right with God.As far as Salvation is concerned, there is no part for us to play—- all we need to do is BELIEVE that it was done on our behalf and thank God for His Grace—— and humbly accept His Gift....

Perhaps had we been told the TRUTH about the Ten Commandments when we were going toSunday School, and sitting around listening to weekly “ morality tales” , people would not be so Shocked and Stiff-Necked to finally learn the True Intension Of The Law..... It is Useless if it does not send you to Jesus.....If it does THAT in you Life, Let go Of it and give it to somebody else that might have a use for it.....YOU have Something Much Better now , A SECRET hidden by God for Millenia, and the Secret That is the one Essential KEY To EVERYTHING else that matters—— “ Christ “ IN” You!”......If you ain’t got that, “ you are NONE of His”. If you “ DO” have that — it is enough. You are in the “ Body Of Christ” and you are UNTOUCHABLE...( he that comes to me shall in No Way be cast out ! ) The only question that remain is.....Have you “come to Him ?”

We now have the Indwelling Spirit to lead and guide us .....I am a New Creation in Christ Jesus with a New Heart That longs to please God without relying on Rules and threats .....I was Lost, now I am found—— give your 613 Commandments to somebody that needs them....Jesus said I need only concern myself with TWO.....”Believe and Love” —-1John 2:3..... God bless...

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Who cares about ANYTHING that is “ Weak and Useless” and only stirs up sin wherever it is preached ?

Two things (actually three):

1) the law is a schoolmaster to lead men to Christ (Galatians 3:24).

2) the righteousness of the law is fulfilled in those who walk not after the flesh but after the Spirit (Romans 8:4).

3) The spiritual mind is at peace with God; for it is subject to the law of God and cannot be otherwise (inverse of Romans 8:7).