Christians and the Law of Moses

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Christians and the Law of Moses
OP^

Christian-
* 1) Follower of Christ Jesus' teachings-
(Follower CAN continue or Fall away)
* 2) Converted Follower of Christ Jesus' teaching
(Follower can NEVER Fall away)

Law- General Rule (regarding a Specific Topic), **Applicable To Specific People.
Statute- General Rule Written
**Applicable To Specific People
Precept- Regulation of Behavior / & thought.
**Applicable To ALL People.

God Introduced and Established:
* Law - God said: (Ex 20: 1) He is the LORD.
* Statute - God Wrote: (Ex 31:18)
* Precepts - His Regulatory Behavior (20: 2-17)

Laws- Statutes- Precepts From God To: Gods People (From Moses, To Hebrews, To Tribes of Israel, To scattered Tribes, all adopting the Ethnic Name Jew, and some/ but not All/ from that day, to this day, retaining belief in God) Agreed to Follow and Obey.
(And we know agreeing was easy, obeying proved to be Difficult.)

For a man- Gentile- in the OT:
The Law was Not Given him.
The Statutes were Not Given him.
The Precepts were Not Given him IN OT, but IN NT through Christ Jesus, that OT and NT PRECEPTS thus Applicable.

For ISRAEL (Gods people)- The Law was fulfilled.
But- (the Caveat)
1) Fulfillment for ISRAEL- requires Belief in Christ Jesus.
2) Rejecting Belief in Christ Jesus- requires their Law to Remain IN-TACT, for a person who is Israel.
3) ANY of The persons Of Israel (Gods People), having come to unbelief IN God, is a Person who says he IS a Jew, but is not.
(^ That has a double meaning:
* BLOOD-line...they are ISRAEL (any Tribe, whereby today all calling themselves Jews)
* Rejecting believe IN God, is them, ethnically (Tribally) self-separating themselves from God...
Which is to say: when the Lord God, comes to gather His Israel, being a Jew by blood-line, (who has rejected God), will not Save that man.

So yes...OT Law was fulfilled- For ANY of Israel- that Chooses TO Believe IT was Fulfilled.
And yes...OT Law still Applies- to ANY of ISRAEL that Chooses TO Not Believe in Christ Jesus- and Chooses TO Not Believe Jesus Fulfilled the Law.

A Gentile Christian- was Never under the Law of Moses.
Christ Jesus' Fulfillment of Israel's LAW...effects The People of Israel WHO believe In Christ Jesus' fulfillment...and thus the negative Consequences of Their Law, No Longer Apply...and no They DO NOT...become "Titled" "Christians"...
They are self- described as "Mesanaic Jews".

Gentile Converted Christian-
Under "Grace" of God.
A Specific WAY for Inclusion, of Gods Gift of Salvation, Through Christ The Lord Jesus.

The Law / Statute for a Converted Christian? Simple:
Matt 22:
[37] Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.
[38] This is the first and great commandment.
[39] And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
[40] On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

A Converted Christian:
Keeping those Two Laws / Statutes?
Simple: (for an Expressly CONVERTED man)
* It IS the "Indwelling" POWER /Spirit of God That Keeps the man Faithful to God
and
Faithful to Keep Loving a neighbor; every individual man (regardless of his behavior that you may or may not like)
* Gods Spirit IN a man..
1) was what a man agreed to, and submitted to.
2) Wherever God IS: God can Not Stand Against Himself.

Gods PRECEPTS- Regulations of Behaviors Among men...HAS not changed from OT ISRAEL TO NT Jews, Tribes, Converted Gentile's IN Christ

A Converted Christian:
Can Learn : every Behavior Established BY God, As Acceptable Behavior Among men...IN the OT
and
reinterated IN the NT, BY Jesus' Teachings.

Easy to Follow? NOPE!
Requires Reminders, Effort, Practice, Reflection on the Precepts...YES!

Will poor behavior of men among men: Jeopardize a Converted Man's Relationship WITH the Lord God? No
Salvation? No

So then WHAT IS the Negative Consequences...IF a Converted man HAS poor behavior among men?
1) Every good works he could have been doing is lost opportunity.
2) Every lost opportunity to be rewarded for good works is a lost of rewards (treasures stored up in Heaven.)
3) Every works that do not Glorify Gods Great Name, Shall be burned.
....also:
People whom were the recipient of your poor behavior:
1) May hate you
2) May slander you
3) May terrorize you
4) May sue you...to what the law allows...take your house...children...divorce you...etc.

All of Scripture is TRUE... Yet it does Not Apply the Same to each individual.
What applies to each Individual is dependent upon what an Individual Chooses TO Believe and Do...or Chooses TO not Believe and not do.

Gentile's:
Man Against God ... Sin & Commission of Sin
Man Against man ... Commission of Trespass
God Forgives men of Sin
Men forgive men of Trespasses

Neh 9
[14] And madest known unto them thy holy sabbath, and commandedst them precepts, statutes, and laws, by the hand of Moses thy servant:

Glory to God,
Taken

Last edited:

BloodBought 1953

Jun 3, 2020
Portsmouth Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Stop being so combative and follow the conversation. You may learn something. The "no" I offered as a reply was to a question put to me by @BOWnQUIVER , as it seems to misunderstand my earlier response. So first, you've butted in on a conversation that was interpersonal, and second, your response above is meaningless in that context.

Thanks for proving the adage....” No good deed goes unpunished”.....lighten up a little, Teach.
Any Sane person would see who is Excelling at being “ combative”. If you conversation is so “ interpersonal”—- why not go in private ? I thought this place was a Forum where ALL were free to make comments.....EXcuuuuuuuuuuuse Me!

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
You not SDA too, we retssin Christ because of what Christ done, the OT was all about works, teh flesh, teh NT is all about teh Spirit and grace, make your choice, only one gets you into heaven and its not teh first.
You still don't get it. You are misrepresenting both the Old and the New Covenants. Please go back and read the OP.

BloodBought 1953

Jun 3, 2020
Portsmouth Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thank you for the post as it sets out clearly one of the more controversial aspects of the scriptures. I realize not everyone would agree with what you have said but it gives us some concrete information for rational discussion which is always welcome.

The one aspect in particular that I try to get my head around is when people say that the 10 commandments are no longer valid. If that is the case, then it must be OK to murder. Mumble, mumble, mumble. Apart from the fact, the basis for dismissing the 10 commandments seems to be that we meet on Sunday, not the Sabbath so that negates all 10 commandments

That sounds like to me that we are trying to make scripture fit our theology rather than making our theology fit scripture. If you think about it, if we all kept the 10 commandments we would be living in paradise. The fact that we are not, is evident by the hell of a place that we have made planet earth and the fact that we are constantly at each other's throats.

37 Scriptures That Prove Christians Are Not Under The Law

Many Christians give lip service to the fact they live in the New Covenant.

The truth however is that because they fail to realise they are no longer under the law they are really still living in an Old Covenant reality.

Here are 37 scriptures that prove that Christians are not under the law!

Acts
The law is an unbearable yoke. (Acts 15:10)

Romans
The law reveals sin but cannot fix it. (Romans 3:20)

If the law worked then faith would be irrelevant. (Romans 4:14)

The law brings wrath upon those who follow it. (Romans 4:15)

The purpose of the law was to increase sin. (Romans 5:20)

Christians are not under the law. (Romans 6:14)

Christians have been delivered from the law. (Romans 7:1-6)

The law is good, perfect and holy but cannot help you be good, perfect or holy. (Romans 7:7-12)

The law which promises life only brings death through sin. (Romans 7:10)

The law makes you sinful beyond measure. (Romans 7:13)

The law is weak. (Romans 8:2-3)

1 Corinthians
The strength of sin is the law (1 Corinthians 15:56)

2 Corinthians
The law is a ministry of death. (2 Corinthians 3:7)

The law is a ministry of condemnation. (2 Corinthians 3:9)

The law has no glory at all in comparison with the New Covenant. (2 Corinthians 3:10)

The law is fading away. (2 Corinthians 3:11)

Anywhere the law is preached it produces a mind-hardening and a heart-hardening veil. (2 Corinthians 3:14-15)

Galatians
The law justifies nobody. (Galatians 2:16)

Christians are dead to the law. (Galatians 2:19)

The law frustrates grace. (Galatians 2:21)

To go back to the law after embracing faith is “stupid”. (Galatians 3:1)

The law curses all who practice it and fail to do it perfectly. (Galatians 3:10)

The law has nothing to do with faith. (Galatians 3:11-12)

The law was a curse that Christ redeemed us from. (Galatians 3:13)

The law functioned in God’s purpose as a temporary covenant from Moses till John the Baptist announced Christ. (Galatians 3:16 & 19, also see… Matthew 11:12-13, Luke 16:16)

If the law worked God would have used it to save us. (Galatians 3:21)

The law was our prison. (Galatians 3:23)

The law makes you a slave like Hagar. (Galatians 4:24)

Ephesians
Christ has abolished the law which was a wall of hostility (Ephesians 2:15)

Philippians
Paul considered everything the law gained him as “skybalon” which is Greek for “poop”. (Philippians 3:4-8)

1 Timothy
The law is only good if used in the right context. (1 Timothy 1:8) (see next verse for the context)

It was made for the unrighteous but not for the righteous. (1 Timothy 1:9-10)

Hebrews
The law is weak, useless and makes nothing perfect. (Hebrews 7:18-19)

God has found fault with it and created a better covenant, enacted on better promises. (Hebrews 8:7-8)

It is obsolete, growing old and ready to vanish. (Hebrews 8:13)

It is only a shadow of good things to come and will never make someone perfect. (Hebrews 10:1)

Well there you have it… 37 scriptures that make a very convincing arguement.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thank you for the post as it sets out clearly one of the more controversial aspects of the scriptures. I realize not everyone would agree with what you have said but it gives us some concrete information for rational discussion which is always welcome.

The one aspect in particular that I try to get my head around is when people say that the 10 commandments are no longer valid. If that is the case, then it must be OK to murder. Mumble, mumble, mumble. Apart from the fact, the basis for dismissing the 10 commandments seems to be that we meet on Sunday, not the Sabbath so that negates all 10 commandments

That sounds like to me that we are trying to make scripture fit our theology rather than making our theology fit scripture. If you think about it, if we all kept the 10 commandments we would be living in paradise. The fact that we are not, is evident by the hell of a place that we have made planet earth and the fact that we are constantly at each other's throats.

If we walk according to the Spirit we will not fulfill the lusts of the flesh.

In the New Testament, we are no longer looking at a set of don'ts, as pertaining to what we must not do, but we are looking at a set of do's, as pertaining to virtues that we are to exemplify.

In exemplifying these virtues, we will find that all of the don'ts of OT law are no longer violated (see Galatians 5:22-23).

There is a principle of the law: that sin takes advantage of it in order to produce in you all manner of evil desire, to violate the law.

When you are no longer focused on what you are not allowed to do, this principle of the law is nullified.

By faith, we receive the Holy Ghost (Galatians 3:14). And through the Holy Ghost, we receive the love of God (Romans 5:5, Galatians 5:22-23). We bear the fruit of the Spirit against which there is no law.

It is in obeying the virtues of the New Testament that we live in such a manner as to avoid the vices that the law was written to warn people against.

By the law is the knowledge of sin. So, if you live according to certain vices, the law will condemn you and judge you as a sinner.

But if you have received the Holy Spirit through faith, you will walk according to love; and there is no law that will condemn your behaviour if you are obedient to the principle of love.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Have you every heard of "the Law of Christ"? Christians are under that Law. And it does include the Ten Commandments.
There is no law "of" Christ as opposed to the law of God (except in Galatians 6:2).

Paul said he was under the law "to" Christ, in 1 Corinthians 9:21.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
There is no law "of" Christ as opposed to the law of God (except in Galatians 6:2). Paul said he was under the law "to" Christ, in 1 Corinthians 9:21.
Simply adding to the confusion by quibbling over words? So are you lawless? YEA OR NAY.

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Hi. The Law Of God is eternal and unchanging. Under the Old Covenant, the Law was meant to keep Israel in line until Messiah came. The blood of animals covered sin but was unable to remove it. The blood of Christ is able to do this, but only with our cooperation. "My people perish for lack of knowledge." Hosea 4:6
After He rose from the dead the wicked human heart could now be dealt with through the continuing process of death and resurrection sanctification. 100% justification comes through Christ's atonement and deals with the human spirit and the legal writ that is against unbelievers. Sanctification deals with the soul, which is our mind, will, and emotions.
I believe the way this is carried out is by the daily cross that Jesus spoke of. This is not re-crucifying Christ. When I nail a repented-of sin to my cross, I believe it goes to Christ on His cross. Something like time-travel, I guess. He is eternal, after all.
This process is meant to not only bring healing and freedom to His people but it also moves one from being in Christ to Christ also being in us. Who is the law-fulfilled perfectly, the Living Word Of God. Hallelujah! Shalom.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: BloodBought 1953

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
You still don't get it. You are misrepresenting both the Old and the New Covenants. Please go back and read the OP.
How can that be, us gentile where never under the old covenant, and it ended with Christ, and teh new covenant was made with Jesus, He is teh mediator of the new covenant, all we need do is believe, the rest He has taken care of, of course if you can do a better job than Him sure try so man thik they can

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
@mjrhealth,

Gentile and Jew alike are under the law and will be judged by it on the final day.
No they wont,but if thats what you want be ready for a big fail on your half.

[UKJV] John 12:48
He that rejects me, and receives not my words, *n has one thatjudges him: the word *n that I have spoken, the same shall judge him in the last day.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No they wont,but if that's what you want be ready for a big fail on your half.

[UKJV] John 12:48
He that rejects me, and receives not my words, *n has one that judges him: the word *n that I have spoken, the same shall judge him in the last day.
Jesus is the God of both the Old and New Testaments.

So then, the law of God in the ten commandments (the 613 also) is His word.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus took “ my “ Judgement “for” me on the Cross....once again, Christianity 101....
Actually, here is something you might have missed in Christianity 101...

2 Corinthians 5:10 and Romans 14:10-12.

Certain translations mistranslate John 5:24 impaho...as saying that we will not come into judgment. But that contradicts the scriptures that I have referenced above.

The kjv translates it condemnation...no contradiction.

Christians will face their bema seat judgment; which is spoken of in 1 Corinthians 3:11-15.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Jesus is the God of both the Old and New Testaments.

So then, the law of God in the ten commandments (the 613 also) is His word.
And you have condemned yourself and all mankind to death, the law is all about you, and works, it is why so many "want" to be judged buy them, hoping to prove them selves able, such foolish things only come from the religious. If the law is going to judge men, that grace has failed dismally, but you are to blinded to see that.

Do you not understand why God sent Jesus, do you think men can out do the works that Christ has done, did you not notice that only one was found to be worthy to open the lambs book of life and that man was Jesus. Not you or any one of us.