"Christians don't know what they believe." - until they are brainwashed

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

face2face

Jun 22, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Why do we need the church to TELL us what we believe?
If there is a true church in the earth, that qualifies for being part of this, then you would believe the same and only be TELLING yourself what you already believe.

23 For the husband is the head of the wife even as Christ is the head of the church, his body, and is himself its Savior Eph 5:23.

Must we surrender our right to our own beliefs to be a part of the church?
You don't have rights if you are apart of the true body....that is humanism
There is even a famous book titled: Know What You Believe
Which is there to inform you of what you haven't a clue about.
Brainwashing, obviously.

Not to say that there isn't a need for religious training, but...
this approach leaves MUCH to be desired.

Saw this video of John MacArthur lamenting the sorry state of Evangelicalism in 2022. (video below)
Ligonier ministries had done a survey of Evangelicals. The findings, per MacArthur, were "shocking".

65% of Evangelicals agreed that everyone is born innocent.
55% agreed that the Bible is not literally true.
56% agreed that God accepts worship from all religions.
43% agreed that Jesus was a good teacher, but not God.
These are not part of the true body of Christ
"Evangelicals have absolutely no idea what they believe." - John MacArthur
Really? It seems as if the survey results TOLD you EXACTLY what they believe.
How can you claim that they "have absolutely no idea what they believe"?
If we reverse the percentages, what do we get? (hope my math is correct) - LOL

35% of Evangelicals DIS-agreed that everyone is born innocent.
45% DIS-agreed that the Bible is not literally true.
44% DIS-agreed that God accepts worship from all religions.
67% DIS-agreed that Jesus was a good teacher, but not God.

So here's the BIG question...
Why do we need the church to TELL us what we believe?

and to the assembly (church) of the firstborn who are enrolled in heaven, and to God, the judge of all, and to the spirits of the righteous made perfect, Heb 12:23.

Is this the true assembly? If you say no, then who is the Apostle speaking of?
Did it's members hold the same core doctrines and did they teach these to prospective converts?
Did they allow its members to hold their own beliefs and teach them? Is God a God of confusion?
What if you are NOT part of this assembly of believers? Could you be taught from a true assembly?

F2F

Reactions: Nancy

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How many churches have you visited?

BTW . . . do you know the very first church was a mega-church? In Antioch. They were a "considerable multitude". The word for those who came to Jesus for healing was "multitude". With the adjective, this is more people, likely many thousand at the least.

Much love!
I was in the military. So I have been to many

the churches in acts met in home groups they ate together. The hung out.. Each week tall the home churches got together Which made them mega churches you could say.

the church was called by the cities name because there were many home churches, yet one church in each city

Reactions: marks and Nancy

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Have you listened to him much?

Much love!
Yes....listened to him many times...couldn't escape hearing him....especially when others are getting his named study bibles and video series and all the other schlock he has for sale.

But at core he is a calvinist....a full five point Calvinist that contradicts himself by having altar calls.

So...I try to ignore him.

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Have you listened to him much?

Much love!
I am one of the few who "knows too much" and knows exactly what I believe and why I believe it.

And where I an NOT a fan of tearing down institutions (even Hillsong) I an not in favor of all doctrines especially ones like Calvinism (it didn't do Europe any good by a long shot) or Universalism or any of them in reality.

Even the SBC (which is NOT a denomination but instead is a convention) has gone to supporting "key doctrines" lately....
Where I haven't seen a doctrine I disagree with I don't like the concept of promoting or teaching them....it's just not very SBC.

I barely fit on the rim of the pail of orthodoxy allowed by the SBC. They start this "key doctrine" notion and I'm likely to find myself shoved off the rim of the pail and just outside.

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I've had the best times in the small group Bible studies, church potluck, the small fellowship opportunities. And at the time I was a study leader, and ran the potluck, so it was all about fellowship and sharing and "facilitated discussion". I LIKE when we can all sit in a circle and talk about what the Bible says.

Much love!
That sounds like great fellowship!

Reactions: Eternally Grateful

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ephesians 4:11-16 KJV
11) And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;
12) For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ:
13) Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ:
14) That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive;
15) But speaking the truth in love, may grow up into him in all things, which is the head, even Christ:
16) From whom the whole body fitly joined together and compacted by that which every joint supplieth, according to the effectual working in the measure of every part, maketh increase of the body unto the edifying of itself in love.

Because God set it up that way.

Much love!
Aye, God Gave Paul those words to direct us, but what we should be seeing, I believe, from them, is anointed men trying to work themselves out a job as people receive/learn the Truth themselves.
How much of that is seen occurring in physical churches? In my experience, not much!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Aye, God Gave Paul those words to direct us, but what we should be seeing, I believe, from them, is anointed men trying to work themselves out a job as people receive/learn the Truth themselves.
How much of that is seen occurring in physical churches? In my experience, not much!
I've seen more of it, bless the Lord!!

My thinking is that fellowships should stay on the smaller side, and as they grow, branch off into another fellowship.

I agree with you, I think that's exactly what the passage teaches, that the leaders are to equip us to become a self-building body.

Much love!

Reactions: amadeus

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I can't tell you how much my wife and I miss it!! All went away with the lockdowns, and never came back.

Much love!
Yes, same all over. Everything is different IMHO. We were warned things will be bad, and get worse and worse the closer we get to Jesus return. I fear for my nieces and nephews, they are so worldly :(

Reactions: Eternally Grateful

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If we reverse the percentages, what do we get? (hope my math is correct) - LOL

35% of Evangelicals DIS-agreed that everyone is born innocent.
45% DIS-agreed that the Bible is not literally true.
44% DIS-agreed that God accepts worship from all religions.
67% DIS-agreed that Jesus was a good teacher, but not God.
Getting rid of the double negative for you ...

35% of Evangelicals agreed that everyone is born guilty.
45% agreed that the Bible is literally true.
44% reject the idea that God accepts worship from all religions.
57% agreed that Jesus was (just) a good teacher, but God.

43 + 67 + 110%. Your math was not right on that last one.

Reactions: St. SteVen

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, same all over. Everything is different IMHO. We were warned things will be bad, and get worse and worse the closer we get to Jesus return. I fear for my nieces and nephews, they are so worldly :(
It's much harder to live a godly life in isolation I think! We need each other around us to lift us up and to be accountable to, just to share Christ-life with.

I'm frequently reminded of the Hebrews passage, don't forsake assembling together, and all the more as the day approaches, something like that.

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
...and broke bread :D
Ever notice that food is a mainstay at many churches? ALWAYS, lol. There was a church, last year that many would go to the fellowship room and have food and drink after services. Unfortunately, false teaching :(
Our new church, about 20 or so of us all gather around tables of cookies after service, and we often spend 30-45 minutes before we all go our ways. We've been there about maybe 9 months or so, I feel like I'm starting to actually get to know some people, and to become a part.

Much love!

• Love

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes....listened to him many times...couldn't escape hearing him....especially when others are getting his named study bibles and video series and all the other schlock he has for sale.

But at core he is a calvinist....a full five point Calvinist that contradicts himself by having altar calls.

So...I try to ignore him.
I've never been to a Calvinist church that ever had an alter call. He is being hypocritical. They should never say "God loves you" either and, the ones I know...never do because of the "L" in their T.U.L.I.P. doctrine.
I did not know about McArthur did alter calls! He is a staunch 5 pointer! Hmm...perhaps he's become less staunch?

Reactions: JohnDB

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
...and broke bread :D
Ever notice that food is a mainstay at many churches? ALWAYS, lol. There was a church, last year that many would go to the fellowship room and have food and drink after services. Unfortunately, false teaching :(
We have a meal not only at our home church meetings but our mens and womens cell groups

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Our new church, about 20 or so of us all gather around tables of cookies after service, and we often spend 30-45 minutes before we all go our ways. We've been there about maybe 9 months or so, I feel like I'm starting to actually get to know some people, and to become a part.

Much love!
I agree that a Christian is not an Island yet, there are still shut-ins, folks that just don't fit the bill for being part of a "normal" family. No husband or wife? No children? Seems to be the right of passage for a 65 year old single for life woman. I do have hopes that The Lord DOES have a small place waiting for me in the small town I will hopefully be moving to in October! Already looking at volunteer opportunities and church's out that way :)

• Love
Reactions: amadeus and marks