Coffee Shop (let's chat)

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

B

Butterfly

To answer your question, I believe the equivalent of a US biscuit in the UK is cob. At least from what google told me LOL
I typed in Cob on google search and it came up with building material , plus the inside of maize- so is that like ' corn on the cob ' ! ?
Rita

MetalMike

May 21, 2019
Seattle Area
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I typed in Cob on google search and it came up with building material , plus the inside of maize- so is that like ' corn on the cob ' ! ?
Rita

Oh, weird. The best way I can describe a US biscuit is that it's similar to a dinner roll. I'm not sure if you have those in the UK.

Reactions: Mayflower
B

Butterfly

Oh, weird. The best way I can describe a US biscuit is that it's similar to a dinner roll. I'm not sure if you have those in the UK.
You mean like a bread roll, you have them with butter !?
And they say we speak the same language !!lol

Reactions: Mayflower
B

Butterfly

They're very similar, yes. Bread rolls are, of course, just like bread. Biscuits are more flaky. I hope that helps?
ok I googles again, but asked a different question ! Lol
Biscuits in the US look like our scones - which we usually have with cream/ jam / butter - you can also get savoury ones with cheese.
We would also have them with tea ( a cup of ) but they would not be something we have with dinner.
Rita

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
To answer your question, I believe the equivalent of a US biscuit in the UK is cob. At least from what google told me LOL

Being British born and only moving here at age 34 , then, living with dozens of Texans in Community living...Over here, I would say that the equivalent to a biscuit ( for the Brits to understand ) would be a scone , ( NOT with jam and cream) ...they have it here have with a gravy and eggs for breakfast. I like them...but there again, I always loved scones.
They also eat Grits with it. But I never liked to this day. Much like cream of wheat or semolina kind of stuff. o_O

It is 3.07 am...and guess what , awake until 12, slept until 2.30am ...now awake again.
I can see I will end up playing Gummy Drop ....I have just left Rome and I’m in Berlin now. I don’t have enough coins to build my building...and I can not do level 2 on number 28. So I am stuck again.

Howzat for a sad pathetic confession in the wee hours of the night. :D :p

Last edited:

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Being British born and only moving here at age 34 , then, living with dozens of Texans in Community living...Over here, I would say that the equivalent to a biscuit ( for the Brits to understand ) would be a scone , ( NOT with jam and cream) which they have here with a gravy and eggs for breakfast.
They also eat Grits with it. which I never liked to this day. Much like cream of wheat or semolina kind of stuff. o_O

3.07 am...and guess what , awake until 12, slept until 2.30am ...now awake again.
I can see I will end up playing Gummy Drop ....I have just left Rome and I’m in Berlin now. I don’t have enough coins to build my building...and I can not do level 2 on number 28. So I am stuck again.

Howzat for a sad pathetic confession in the wee hours of the night. :D :p

You probably have never had Grits made as they should be.

Stranger

Reactions: Mayflower and Helen

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
You probably have never had Grits made as they should be.

Stranger

Ah, another “Stranger in the night” if I remember correctly you are in Texas ...an hour ahead of us, 4am for you...
....most of my very close friends this side of the pond are Texans . We here also , are into Oil in Alberta ....

It’s the consistency of Grits which I could never get into. Much like eating lumpy oatmeal with my eggs and bacon!!

B

Butterfly

I am not sure I would like scones for breakfast, with custard ( gravy )But I think I am going to be fancying a scone with jam and cream all day now ! Lol

Reactions: Pearl and Helen

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
See yalls day is usually my night I believe. It is 7:08pm right now, here in Indiana. So if I am not posting 1 to 3am my time, that is actually a good thing, because Lorena wakes me at 7:30am usually. Lately Ive got to bed by midnight, which is really rather good for me. Except last couple days I got into my Harvest Moon game.
The time you spent on the Psalms a few hours ago was I'm sure very profitable... :)

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
That's going to make it even more complicated- muffins in England are nothing like scones, they can be large fairy cakes or a flat kind of bread roll ! Lol
President Gerald Ford: i) used to like talking to journalists; ii) used to serve journalists English muffins.

Both statements are amazing! (if one compares them with attitudes today...)

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
That's going to make it even more complicated- muffins in England are nothing like scones, they can be large fairy cakes or a flat kind of bread roll ! Lol

No...I can assure you it’s the Brit scone = USA biscuit , which are the same thing.
Though “biscuit “ here is not quite as sweet. NOT that scones are sweet...but you know what I mean.

Happy work day Rita.
Still praying for that nasty tooth!!! Have a good one... x

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ah, another “Stranger in the night” if I remember correctly you are in Texas ...an hour ahead of us, 4am for you...
....most of my very close friends this side of the pond are Texans . We here also , are into Oil in Alberta ....

It’s the consistency of Grits which I could never get into. Much like eating lumpy oatmeal with my eggs and bacon!!

Grits shouldn't be lumpy. But they certainly have a consistency you may not like. You can flavor them may different ways. You can't follow the directions on the back of the container. That makes terrible Grits. Never use water. Use milk instead. But not just milk either.

It's a 1 to 4 ratio. One cup of Grits to Four cups of liquid. And you can add anything you like for flavor. I like what I call my chicken grits.

2 cup of milk.
1 cup of chicken broth or beef broth...whatever you like.
1cup of whipping cream or half and half cream or just add another cup of milk.

Heat to a boil. Then reduce the heat to a simmer. Add grits slowly while stirring. Takes a few minutes and they will be thick and fluffy but not lumpy.

I then add some chopped up onions to them and some left over chicken if I have it, and some butter, and cheese. That is a meal itself.

Stranger

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Grits shouldn't be lumpy. But they certainly have a consistency you may not like. You can flavor them may different ways. You can't follow the directions on the back of the container. That makes terrible Grits. Never use water. Use milk instead. But not just milk either.

It's a 1 to 4 ratio. One cup of Grits to Four cups of liquid. And you can add anything you like for flavor. I like what I call my chicken grits.

2 cup of milk.
1 cup of chicken broth or beef broth...whatever you like.
1cup of whipping cream or half and half cream or just add another cup of milk.

Heat to a boil. Then reduce the heat to a simmer. Add grits slowly while stirring. Takes a few minutes and they will be thick and fluffy but not lumpy.

I then add some chopped up onions to them and some left over chicken if I have it, and some butter, and cheese. That is a meal itself.

Stranger

Well, when you say it like that...agree , it sounds good.
My cheap old Texan friends must have just used water...they were lumpy and very boring.
I tried them twice...then gave them as pass ....and that was back in the 70’s ha!

I must take another run at them.
Though I don’t like couscous either , I give it a pass.
Is that a USA thing, or an import?

Reactions: Nancy

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Well, when you say it like that...agree , it sounds good.
My cheap old Texan friends must have just used water...they were lumpy and very boring.
I tried them twice...then gave them as pass ....and that was back in the 70’s ha!

I must take another run at them.
Though I don’t like couscous either , I give it a pass.
Is that a USA thing, or an import?
Couscous, Arab originally...delicious...

Reactions: Helen
B

Butterfly

No...I can assure you it’s the Brit scone = USA biscuit , which are the same thing.
Though “biscuit “ here is not quite as sweet. NOT that scones are sweet...but you know what I mean.

Happy work day Rita.
Still praying for that nasty tooth!!! Have a good one... x
I presumed farouk meant they were called muffins in Canada
I have a day off today Helen xx
I haven't had much pain from the tooth, so really grateful for the prayer.
Xx

Reactions: Nancy