Consummation

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Can you help? First is the word even in the bible? The only place I could find it was in Daniel 9:27 but that was in the kjv. All other versions have consumption or something else. Consumption and consummation, at least in my understanding are polar opposite when thinking of consummation of a marriage or consumption of a thing?

I ask because John 19:30 therefore when Jesus had received the sour wine, He said “it is finished.”

“it is finished” led to “consummation”; properly to complete (consummate).
Strong's Greek: 5055. τελέω (teleó) -- to bring to an end, complete, fulfill

https://biblehub.com/greek/5056.htm

5056^ closure with all it results.

consumption is to destroy, or make an end. How does or can that become consummation as in marriage?

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Can you help? First is the word even in the bible? The only place I could find it was in Daniel 9:27 but that was in the kjv. All other versions have consumption or something else. Consumption and consummation, at least in my understanding are polar opposite when thinking of consummation of a marriage or consumption of a thing?

I ask because John 19:30 therefore when Jesus had received the sour wine, He said “it is finished.”

consumption is to destroy, or make an end. How does or can that become consummation as in marriage?
'It is finished' ViJ is relative to what Jesus was referring to.....it is not necessarily what we as people make it mean.....so it begs the question, what was Jesus referring to?

The context .....God who was being accused of being selfish by a chief of the angels; the covering cherub aka Lucifer. His claim; how can God not be selfish when everything he wants he makes?
He presented his arguments so subtly it was near impossible for the angels to discern his motives.
It caused a stir amongst the angels like there had never been. All other created intelligences throughout the Cosmos watched to see the outcome as to how God would answer.

One of the planets, the newest one, Earth, and one third of the angels succumbed to his sophistry. The upshot was that its inhabitants gave their rightful dominion to Lucifer, setting in motion a Kingdom in opposition to God's Kingdom
Death was introduced along with suffering and violence but God had not forsaken his human children.

God made promises from the earliest times of a deliverer who would come and wrest the Kingdom from the usurper. How this was going to be done was a matter of much speculation. God's promises were repeated over and over to various successive generations in different ways.

Finally the promised deliver arrived; Jesus; the creator himself took on a human body....born into our family the natural way and being subject to the temptations common to man yet without sin. He showed us the nature of God's Kingdom; a Kingdom of selflessness and service to others.

The Prince of darkness enraged because of his failed plans to thwart God's revelation of himself laid plans through his agents to get rid of him once and for all time. Manipulating the powers of men he had Jesus arrested and crucified, an ignominious death reserved for the worst criminals.

Here God was on display; here, when everything was against him;.... here where all those who claimed to be his friends forsook him even betrayed him;.... here where those who passed by derided him shaking their heads and spitting abuse,.....here, where all the hosts of darkness exercised their will unrestrained through human hands; .....here, God was being tested...what are you really like?

To the amazement of heavens Angels and the watching Worlds, no force, no violence was forthcoming from Jesus, he only had words of hope and forgiveness for the fellow sufferer crucified with him as well as his oppressors. Forgiveness dripped from his lips and finally, 'it is finished'.

The hosts of darkness thought they had won the day when Jesus died but death could not hold him neither will it hold any who call upon his name.

The charge that God is selfish was in the minds of all God's creation answered definitively as they saw the two Kingdoms battle for supremacy. One with violence the other with submissive love.......and with a loud voice Jesus cried, 'it is finished'
God stood vindicated for all eternity and the Devil condemned by his own hand with the dominion of the Earth won back for mankind.

Yes, the victory is won and we now await the consummation where all who hear and desire God's Kingdom to be their realty will soon be involved in a rescue mission unparalleled. A rescue mission where the song of all God's people resurrected to eternal life will be 'O Death where is your sting, O hades where is your victory' 1 Corinthians 15:55

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Hebrew word in the Daniel passage translated "consummation" in the KJV is כָּלָה, "kala". It means "complete destruction" or sometimes just "completion". The Septuagint translated this to συντελείας, "synteleia", meaning "completion, consummation". "Synteleia" is used in the New Testament exclusively to refer to "the end of the Aion", or "the end of the Age", with six uses in Matthew and one in Hebrews. I've never seen it translated, "the consummation of the Age". I guess the KJV translators decided to only to use "consummation" in the Daniel passage.

Last edited:

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And now you're making me wonder why, in English, we refer to the first love-making after the marriage vows as the "consummation" or completion of the marriage. Hopefully it's just the beginning! (Happily married for 37 years.:))

Last edited:

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
All other created intelligences throughout the Cosmos watched to see the outcome as to how God would answer.

sounds similar to all the times they tested Him to see what His answer would be. Luke 20:20-26, Mark 12:13-25

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And now you're making me wonder why, in English, we refer to the first love-making after the marriage vows as the "consummation" or completion of the marriage. Hopefully it's just the beginning! (Happily married for 37 years.:))

the only connection I can make is the destruction of separation or singleness even letting go of the last name for a new name …two becoming one together. How that looks different or finishes or completes one time period of alone becoming no longer alone at least in the mind of a-should-be constant consideration for one another. That is all I have to how could consummation be similar to consumption. The taking in of two under one union?

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
the only connection I can make is the destruction of separation or singleness even letting go of the last name for a new name …two becoming one together. How that looks different or finishes or completes one time period of alone becoming no longer alone at least in the mind of a-should-be constant consideration for one another. That is all I have to how could consummation be similar to consumption. The taking in of two under one union?
Hi @VictoryinJesus

I think of Frances Ridley Havergal's verse in her hymn 'O Saviour, precious Saviour':

'O grant the consummation
of this our song above
in endless adoration
and everlasting love;
then shall we praise and bless thee
where perfect praises ring,
and evermore confess thee
our Savior and our King.'

I don't think she was thinking about wedding anniversaries or anything like that. The word here is likely being used as a synonym of 'fulfillment'.

Reactions: VictoryinJesus

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I can kind of see how the wedding vows themselves are not considered complete until the "two become one flesh", which itself is a physical metaphor for the marriage union.

As for "consumption", I would have to see the biblical contexts where it is used. Since "kala" primarily means "to destroy completely", I could see how that might be understood as "consuming" as in "a consuming fire". However, a quick Google search doesn't show an etymological relationship in English between "consumption" and "consummation".

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As for "consumption", I would have to see the biblical contexts where it is used. Since "kala" primarily means "to destroy completely", I could see how that might be understood as "consuming" as in "a consuming fire". However, a quick Google search doesn't show an etymological relationship in English between "consumption" and "consummation".

you said: However, a quick Google search doesn't show an etymological relationship in English between "consumption" and "consummation".

I didn’t mean to say there is a relationship between them but instead, I’m confused. 1) I couldn’t find any other time consummation is used in the word. Except for Daniel 9:27.

2 it is not the kjv only that uses “consummation” in Daniel 9:27 but other versions as well including some of the newer versions. But then the lexicon has “a complete destruction” as well as other versions.

Daniel 9:27 Lexicon: "And he will make a firm covenant with the many for one week, but in the middle of the week he will put a stop to sacrifice and grain offering; and on the wing of abominations will come one who makes desolate, even until a complete destruction, one that is decreed, is poured out on the one who makes desolate."

a complete destruction,

כָּלָה֙
(ka·lah)
3617: completion, complete destruction, consumption, annihilation
from kala

Strong's Hebrew: 3617. כָּלָה (kalah) -- completion, complete destruction, consumption, annihilation

Phonetic Spelling: (kaw-law')
Definition: completion, complete destruction, consumption, annihilation

“It is finished” being
Cognate: 5055 teléō (from 5056 /télos, "consummation, completion") – properly, to complete (consummate), i.e. finish (qualitatively) the necessary process – with the results "rolling-over" to the next level (phase) of consummation. See 5056 (telos).

Isaiah 10:22 Lexicon: For though your people, O Israel, may be like the sand of the sea, Only a remnant within them will return; A destruction is determined, overflowing with righteousness.

Consumption is there “a consumption decreed” again in some versions in others “a destruction is determined”

circling back to “the consummation”
or “complete destruction” or “consumption” Or “annihilation” ….o_O Does any of that make sense? I’m not saying they connect but I was asking why different versions use them interchangeably: consummation and complete destruction.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Can you help? First is the word even in the bible? The only place I could find it was in Daniel 9:27 but that was in the kjv. All other versions have consumption or something else.
Depending on the context it can mean either completion or complete destruction. Also consumption.
Strong's Concordance

kalah: completion, complete destruction, consumption, annihilation
Original Word: כָּלָה
Part of Speech: Noun Feminine
Transliteration: kalah

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Depending on the context it can mean either completion or complete destruction. Also consumption.
Strong's Concordance

kalah: completion, complete destruction, consumption, annihilation
Original Word: כָּלָה
Part of Speech: Noun Feminine
Transliteration: kalah

What verses are consummation?
Is it consummation in Daniel?
Are there any other verses that speak of consummation other than Daniel?

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
circling back to “the consummation”
or “complete destruction” or “consumption” Or “annihilation” ….o_O Does any of that make sense? I’m not saying they connect but I was asking why different versions use them interchangeably: consummation and complete destruction.

No ma'am, they are NOT interchangeable. There are two possible translations of כָּלָה, and the translators have to choose one or the other. The sense of the passage changes depending on their choice of meanings for key words.

This is the challenge facing the translators. What is the author's intent? How does the author use the word elsewhere? Which meaning makes the most sense in both the immediate context and the overall flow of the writing? How is the word used by other writers from the same culture?

Last edited:

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
What verses are consummation? Is it consummation in Daniel? Are there any other verses that speak of consummation other than Daniel?
It is only in Daniel that the KJV uses "consummation". However they translate the same word in different ways in other passages including "consumption", "a complete destruction", "a full end", "an utter end", etc.

According to Brown-Driver-Briggs: כָּלָה noun feminine completion, complete destruction, consumption, annihilation. One of the objectives (whether right or wrong) of the KJV translators was to render the same word in different ways, and that is what they did here. Sometimes it is not very helpful.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

(Daniel 9:27) 27 “And he will keep the covenant in force for the many for one week; and at the half of the week, he will cause sacrifice and gift offering to cease. “And on the wing of disgusting things there will be the one causing desolation; and until an extermination, what was decided on will be poured out also on the one lying desolate.”

You did the best thing possible maam to get better understanding, looking into different versions. The above was quoted from the New World Translation, hope it helps Vicky.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
(Daniel 9:27) 27 “And he will keep the covenant in force for the many for one week; and at the half of the week, he will cause sacrifice and gift offering to cease. “And on the wing of disgusting things there will be the one causing desolation; and until an extermination, what was decided on will be poured out also on the one lying desolate.”

You did the best thing possible maam to get better understanding, looking into different versions. The above was quoted from the New World Translation, hope it helps Vicky.

it does help. My main interest in the word consummation is because a couple years ago I would tell people “how can you not see you have already been consummated” and His seed remains in you. or after consummation comes Christ being formed in you. At the time I thought I knew what I was talking about. Now I see I don’t even know what it means. I get that sounds crazy but it basically has me shutting up and not saying things like that any more assuming I know something.

Reactions: Lambano

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
it does help. My main interest in the word consummation is because a couple years ago I would tell people “how can you not see you have already been consummated” and His seed remains in you. or after consummation comes Christ being formed in you. At the time I thought I knew what I was talking about. Now I see I don’t even know what it means. I get that sounds crazy but it basically has me shutting up and not saying things like that any more assuming I know something.

Every one of us is basically an infant in the truth maam. 30 years ago when so many was impressed about how well I knew the Bible, I would get a swelled head, and actually did think I knew it well, but now I realize how much of an infant I am in my knowledge. Every single Christian learns something almost every day, in actuality I believe they learn something every day. All those of us who are on the road to life, will be growing until we reach perfection, something that will not be achieved until the end of the millennial reign of Christ. At that point we will be equal to Adam, fully qualified to pass the test of satans release, but even then many will fail just like Adam did.

Keep in mind at no point in our history will we ever know all that Jehovah does Ecc 3:11. The path of the righteous is like the bright light that gets brighter and brighter each day Pro 4:18, so the best we can do is try to learn something each day. How exciting it is when on some days you actually grasp the point of something that you had wondered about for years. Sometimes it is so simple, yet we simply did not grasp it at the time. It happened to me a few days back.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That's an interesting thought!

The consummation of the marriage makes it real and permanent. Though we then go on to discover how to make a good marriage, and how to be a good spouse. Even a poor spouse is still married. Better to be a good spouse.

Much love!

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I've thought of the consummation as our redemption, when we finally receive our resurrected bodies as Christ was resurrected. But of course it is not all complete until death, Hades, Satan and his horde are finally thrown into the Lake of Fire and the first heavens and earth are desteoyed as well. Therefore, consummation of all things is both complete judgment/ destruction AND the totality of resurrected souls in the Book of Life completed.

Last edited: