Depression

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
Well, i have 3 chronic illnesses that require medication so are you suggesting i stop taking the prescribed medication, bbyd?
ah no, i am suggesting that i wouldn't ever start taking them; you are now in a different position i guess, and i am too ignorant of your details to really suggest anything. I have seen people do that though, but i guess that is bc God put that on their hearts, to do? Bam do as you are led imo; i mean to comment on the practice of seeking, specifically here.

now if/when you want to get off any of them, insulin included, i could send you in the right direction, but i would never suggest what you should seek even; i posted here only bc this is a forum, and i'm pretty sure God did not want the PTB to "outlaw" certain active ingredients simply so that those who pay the baksheesh might have exclusive access to them.

I would maybe seek Black Market analogues, and a reliable pipeline to get them delivered too, plenty available now. Prolly 1/3 to 1/2 the cost anyway. But i'm describing legal (grey area) Anarchist measures that most likely seem pretty extreme to you, i guess

Last edited:

faithfulness

Aug 13, 2018
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"Praise is a powerful weapon VERY POWERFUL. Put on the garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness is an effective weapon. The devils cannot stand God's praise. If you will force yourself to praise Him in song your spirit will be lifted." <-----ALWAYS my go to ♥ God Bless you!

A Psalm of David. O LORD our Lord, how majestic is your name in all the earth! You have set your glory above the heavens. From the lips of children and infants You have ordained praise on account of Your adversaries, to silence the enemy and avenger. Psalm 8:1-2

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A Psalm of David. O LORD our Lord, how majestic is your name in all the earth! You have set your glory above the heavens. From the lips of children and infants You have ordained praise on account of Your adversaries, to silence the enemy and avenger. Psalm 8:1-2
"...silence the enemy and avenger. Psalm 8:1-2" One of our most powerful weapons ♥

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

And this is all the more powerful when you see that it is Christ who interprets (Ps. 8:2) as equating praise with strength. See. (Matt. 21:16) The Psalmist said 'strength'. Christ said 'praise'.

Stranger

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
So, you'd also deny medications
Well, i have 3 chronic illnesses that require medication so are you suggesting i stop taking the prescribed medication, bbyd?
guess i should be a little clearer lol, sorry; i am convinced allopathy is evil, and your and Naomi's comments have only reinforced the opinion, and at the same time i believe in your right to unregulated active ingredients, and your right to administer them however you like. i would take aspirin for a bad enough headache i guess, if i still got headaches, and addressing the cause did not cure it, or was impractical in the moment or whatever; but i much prefer not getting them at all.

and i would prolly do whatever you are doing if i was in your position too, i bet, even if i would take steps to not be a slave to a third party or a substance for my peace. But for all i know everyone else is here to learn a diff lesson, and i would be ignoring me and working on what God puts in front of you anyway. But calling allopathy "grace" is also going to evoke a response from me on a Christian forum.

The detrimental effects of Rx are hardly a secret now, but it is the desire for them that is the problem imo, and there is a price to pay for this desire. So maybe when all of our kids are cancerous or autistic or adhd or chronically depressed or ibs/crohn's, and they are all on "God's miracle drugs," and being squeezed to death to afford them, maybe then we can have a rational conversation about ignoring causes and seeking miracle relief from our self-inflicted health issues, and trusting our health to people who we already know for a fact will not live as long as us.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nancy

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
guess i should be a little clearer lol, sorry; i am convinced allopathy is evil, and your and Naomi's comments have only reinforced the opinion, and at the same time i believe in your right to unregulated active ingredients, and your right to administer them however you like. i would take aspirin for a bad enough headache i guess, if i still got headaches, and addressing the cause did not cure it, or was impractical in the moment or whatever; but i much prefer not getting them at all.

and i would prolly do whatever you are doing if i was in your position too, i bet, even if i would take steps to not be a slave to a third party or a substance for my peace. But for all i know everyone else is here to learn a diff lesson, and i would be ignoring me and working on what God puts in front of you anyway. But calling allopathy "grace" is also going to evoke a response from me on a Christian forum. The detrimental effects of Rx are hardly a secret now
Mark, I certainly understand what you are talking about. And, I also believe that, originally God provided every bit of nutrition naturally, through the food He gave us, fruit, veg, herbs and so on. Now that "man" has gotten his greedy paws on everything, nutrients and such that would be "good and healthy" for us has been so manipulated in the name of greed that there is hardly any nutritional value left in it. Someone once said to me, if you have a headache, why take an aspirin? Do you lack aspirin?....
I eat very well, and get organic when I can...have not been able to exercise since May so, my muscle tone is like, gone! Hoping to get back to it SOON!! All I can say about depression meds is that, they work for me, and I woud rather pop that little yellow pill than hole up in my room staring at the wall and crying for no reason all day. I LIKE to smile and laugh and experience the JOY!! just sayin.... ♥

faithfulness

Aug 13, 2018
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And this is all the more powerful when you see that it is Christ who interprets (Ps. 8:2) as equating praise with strength. See. (Matt. 21:16) The Psalmist said 'strength'. Christ said 'praise'.

Stranger
Ps 8:2KJV Out of the mouth of babes and sucklings hast thou ordained strength because of thine enemies, that thou mightest still the enemy and the avenger.
Mat21:16KJV And said unto him, Hearest thou what they say? And Jesus said unto them, yea; have ye never read, Out of the mouth of babes and sucklings thou hast perfected praise?

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Mark, I certainly understand what you are talking about. And, I also believe that, originally God provided every bit of nutrition naturally, through the food He gave us, fruit, veg, herbs and so on. Now that "man" has gotten his greedy paws on everything, nutrients and such that would be "good and healthy" for us has been so manipulated in the name of greed that there is hardly any nutritional value left in it. Someone once said to me, if you have a headache, why take an aspirin? Do you lack aspirin?....
I eat very well, and get organic when I can...have not been able to exercise since May so, my muscle tone is like, gone! Hoping to get back to it SOON!! All I can say about depression meds is that, they work for me, and I woud rather pop that little yellow pill than hole up in my room staring at the wall and crying for no reason all day. I LIKE to smile and laugh and experience the JOY!! just sayin.... ♥
i understand completely, tried to off myself many times at one point, and all i can say is thank God there was no such thing as antidepressants back then. Bc i am one of the guys ppl come to when the little yellow pill does not work any more, or the insulin does not work any more, and as i was trying to relate to Aspen earlier, the cause has not been addressed, and so the problem is now compounded, while to our eyes in the moment it appears to have been mitigated.

But see ol' Doc is not going to tell you that there are no happy endings with his products, that he gets a commish for prescribing you, bc all of those nascent Doctors are drummed out of med school in the first year. So, not meaning to be callous or rude here, but when your joy has turned to sorrow--and i cannot overstate the sorrow that the little yellow pills will manifest either--come and demand from Naomi the solution, and see what happens then i guess.

Bc staring at the wall and crying is not even an option for you any more, staring at the wall and crying would be awesome imo, and i could direct you to 100 testimonies of previous little yellow pill addicts who would heartily agree, ok. See, we get to hear about your joy now, but the meltdown, we have to go search really hard to find that story, bc there is nothing to be financially gained by anyone telling it to us

Last edited:

LC627

May 11, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I've had my struggles with depression and I do not feel it is always a faith issue. After my uncle killed himself it messed with me and still does if I think about it. Mental illness is a real thing and many struggle with it and we do an injustice to those who fight that battle daily when we say, just pray harder. We should always be praying but we need to be aware that there are chemical imbalances in the brain and/or tragic life situations that will change how a person functions for a season of time and sadly for some a lifetime. As the body of Christ we need to encourage our fellow brothers and sisters who fight this fight and support them. Instead of telling them to pray harder, why don't we as believers take them by the hand and pray with them?

Can it be a sign of lack of faith? Yes, at times depending on the situation, but is it always? No.

I will also add, the last thing a person struggling with this terrible condition wants to hear is "pray harder". Chances are pretty good that they have been praying already and if it is prolonged then their prayers may turn into questioning. "God why are you not answering me, God why is this still going on, etc." We will not have the answers to all of life's struggles and heartache but we should weep with those who weep and rejoice with those who rejoice, leading them to the Good Shepherd and not allowing them to slip into questioning God or their faith while they are in the valley. We will all spend time in the valley of hardship and lets hope someone does not tell us to simply, "pray harder" when we are in desperate need of encouragement and support.

Last edited:

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I've had my struggles with depression and I do not feel it is always a faith issue. After my uncle killed himself it messed with me and still does if I think about it. Mental illness is a real thing and many struggle with it and we do an injustice to those who fight that battle daily when we say, just pray harder. We should always be praying but we need to be aware that there are chemical imbalances in the brain and/or tragic life situations that will change how a person functions for a season of time and sadly for some a lifetime. As the body of Christ we need to encourage our fellow brothers and sisters who fight this fight and support them. Instead of telling them to pray harder, why don't we as believers take them by the hand and pray with them?

Can it be a sign of lack of faith? Yes, at times depending on the situation, but is it always? No.

I will also add, the last thing a person struggling with this terrible condition wants to hear is "pray harder". Chances are pretty good that they have been praying already and if it is prolonged then their prayers may turn into questioning. "God why are you not answering me, God why is this still going on, etc." We will not have the answers to all of life's struggles and heartache but we should weep with those who weep and rejoice with those who rejoice, leading them to the Good Shepherd and not allowing them to slip into questioning God or their faith while they are in the valley. We will all spend time in the valley of hardship and lets hope someone does not tell us to simply, "pray harder" when we are in desperate need of encouragement and support.
Awesomness!!!

Reactions: LC627

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
when we are in desperate need of encouragement and support.
i mostly agree, but i would at least examine this last part for accuracy; what might be most desperately needed...may not appear to be anything like one's def of "encouragement and support," wadr. i would encourage about a week's fast, in seclusion, with no distractions, but i have yet to find a chronic depressive open to the idea, and this speaks volumes to me. i was a chronic depressive/meth user for like 20-30 years, and have worked in the recovery industry since then, and most chronic depressives just need their butt kicked imo.

Take everything away from them that they are currently not thankful for, and remove all of the codependent props and enabling, and watch a miracle happen. I would put them in prison if i could tbh, lifer convicts are far and away the very best counsellors on the planet.

i know this seems harsh, but ppl who have nothing do not get chronically depressed; spoiled, codependent ppl do, virtually without exception, and i know bc i am one. If you are chronically depressed it is bc you can afford to be

Reactions: Reggie Belafonte

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
From prison to praise is a good testimony book

Agree, its a wonderful book. One I try to read every couple of years.
Thanks for the reminder..I need to pull it out...its about that time again. :)

Reggie Belafonte

Mar 16, 2018
Brisbane
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Well, I can tell you are way off base with this one. I have 43 solid years of working VERY HARD under highly stressful situations. All full time work along with several part timer jobs. I can be a good actress and smile when I am dying inside. I do not and have NEVER shirked my duties. As far as "self pity" there may be some who practice that kind of existence solely for attention, I do not know but I can tell you that attention is something I personally avoid at all costs...don't even like my picture taken. You cannot put everybody in the same box. It's funny how those who have no clue what clinical depression is, have all sorts of opinions that they are SO sure of being right. I call them self righteous know it alls, they appear stupid in their attempt to "tell you what it's all about". SMH. Kick 'em when their down. sad.
I do agree with you and I do believe that there are different types of depression.

I heave seen people go into a spin over what is nothing and run around trying to sue everyone, a mates ex wife was a school teacher and another teacher got up her grabbed her by the arm, she was trying to brake up a fight with two kids and she was doing the wrong thing, so she could not hack to turn up at work and got payed out $800.000 my mate said that his wife was just being a idiot and playing the game for the money and got away with it. it was all a non issue to him, one that she had to grow up and deal with like an adult. he had been bashed at school many a time by gangs and idiots and still is dealing with idiots in his work singing in pubs etc, you never know he says and lives in dread of some people he does not want to know, that think they are his mate, but he can't just tell them to get lost because it's just not worth it and end up getting knifed or whatever.

Boy I remember being attacked by gangs all the time and no one cared not one, not my mum or dad, that was just part of life to them, as you had to deal with everything that came along regardless.

From what I have heard of some people with depression is that some have suppressed rage that eats away at them or great fear and they can attack with rage like a spoilt brat, some are not rational people you can talk to, because it's all about them and they can not see past that there is a wider world out there, mainly they are the extreme right or extreme lefty's and the balance is not there, they are rudderless as to that point and they are just like a dog chasing there own tail, they think something is there and it's a problem for them.

I remember St Frances saying about such things, is that they have to learn to give it up, it's something that's tempting them. it's like a hot potato and one has to be able to learn to put it down, but people feel that they have to carry it.

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I do agree with you and I do believe that there are different types of depression.

I heave seen people go into a spin over what is nothing and run around trying to sue everyone, a mates ex wife was a school teacher and another teacher got up her grabbed her by the arm, she was trying to brake up a fight with two kids and she was doing the wrong thing, so she could not hack to turn up at work and got payed out $800.000 my mate said that his wife was just being a idiot and playing the game for the money and got away with it. it was all a non issue to him, one that she had to grow up and deal with like an adult. he had been bashed at school many a time by gangs and idiots and still is dealing with idiots in his work singing in pubs etc, you never know he says and lives in dread of some people he does not want to know, that think they are his mate, but he can't just tell them to get lost because it's just not worth it and end up getting knifed or whatever.

Boy I remember being attacked by gangs all the time and no one cared not one, not my mum or dad, that was just part of life to them, as you had to deal with everything that came along regardless.

From what I have heard of some people with depression is that some have suppressed rage that eats away at them or great fear and they can attack with rage like a spoilt brat, some are not rational people you can talk to, because it's all about them and they can not see past that there is a wider world out there, mainly they are the extreme right or extreme lefty's and the balance is not there, they are rudderless as to that point and they are just like a dog chasing there own tail, they think something is there and it's a problem for them.

I remember St Frances saying about such things, is that they have to learn to give it up, it's something that's tempting them. it's like a hot potato and one has to be able to learn to put it down, but people feel that they have to carry it.
Yes Regie, there are many different kinds of depression. I have seen people who are manic depressive (a doctor I worked with once) totally go off the deep end, leaving her attendants in tears, next morning she comes in like nothing ever happened. Then you have the ones who introvert because they do not want people to know how low they can get. There is also allot of self loathing, feelings of hopelessness, uselessness, no self worth. And, when one happens to be a Christian, it makes it all the worse because we KNOW we should not feel this way and then on top of it, start to "feel" unsaved and bound for hell. These things are NOT welcome yet, for whatever reason the Lord is silent on this one for myself and a few others I know personally that have confessed to me about their low and dark times. Jesus is always our first go to even if it is pleading with Him on the floor, on our faces. When I get no relief through prayer, I take it as a : "My grace is sufficient for you" kind of answer. And those who THINK they know all about this horrible ball and chain some cannot shake, just walk an hour in their shoes then come and tell me again how you think its for "attention" "gastrointestinal problems" or any other of YOUR "guesses" as to the reasons. Not one person who does not deal with this has no standing in my book, and if you think you are the only one who has the gall to speak to something they have not experienced, nah, all kinds of armchair experts. Pffft! Not talking about you Reggie, just a couple others on here. ♥

Reactions: Helen

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Our friend @bbyrd009 may be giving some good advice, but some things cannot be changed by our own works alone... or by obeying our doctors or other seemingly wise and knowledgeable would be helpers even if we had the knowledge and understanding and means to head the right way to prevent or to work to fix the errors which are already within our bodies of flesh.

It is certainly might not be wrong to work hard in the direction @bbrd009 leads to the extent that his information or advice is correct. I don't pretend to know how correct he is as the flesh or the mind or the emotions or the spirit of man may go.

But a big part of all of our problems, be they of the flesh, or the mind, or the emotions, etc. is the system in which we physically live and our ways and routines within that system. There is of course as we all know a better way for everyone and this is hopefully one reason we are here on a Christian forum, isn't it? This Way does not require a whole lot of extra brain power, or knowledge or money and it may not even always ease all of our physical, mental or emotional aches and pains, while we are in this world of fleshly ways. But when it is followed faithfully the end result will definitely be worth whatever the cost, whatever the time spent, will it not?

Jesus said it simply here:

"Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me." John 14:6

So then as we walk along this Way, we may find ourselves led along some of the ways that our friend @bbyrd009 has indicated it would be good for us to go... but as I have said, for different reasons they might may not work or be fully available or possible for each of us. Sometimes even some of those little yellow pills mentioned here or others may also be indicated as part of our walk with Jesus. I am not giving a definite yay or nay on that, but certainly a yay on striving to follow the Lord which ever Way He leads each one of us. We are not the same and our pathways toward God will not always be precisely the same although they in many places are likely to overlap. Remember also this verse quoted recently on the forum:

"And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose." Rom 8:28

If we are only interested in our comfortable long life in this body of flesh on planet Earth, then maybe we should sacrifice all to make it the best way we can... But is that what we really want to be our first thing?

Men have consistently over the centuries come up with new devices and better technology and ways to make their own natural life easier, more comfortable, etc., even if all of the best parts of it have never been readily available to everyone. Rather they have seemingly [to me] always been like the men at Babel building together according to their own plan to reach heaven as per Genesis 11. They have never done it right when they worked without God. That has not changed at all in spite of their own knowledge and technology, advancements, etc. The only definitely workable solution in the long run is the one God has provided.

Last edited:

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
But a big part of all of our problems, be they of the flesh, or the mind, or the emotions, etc. is the system in which we physically live and our ways and routines within that system. There is of course as we all know a better way for everyone and this is hopefully one reason we are here on a Christian forum, isn't it? This Way does not require a whole lot of extra brain power, or knowledge or money and it may not even always ease all of our physical, mental or emotional aches and pains, while we are in this world of fleshly ways. But when it is followed faithfully the end result will definitely be worth whatever the cost, whatever the time spent, will it not?
nice, you took little steps in, take little steps out

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
There is also allot of self loathing, feelings of hopelessness, uselessness, no self worth. And, when one happens to be a Christian, it makes it all the worse because we KNOW we should not feel this way and then on top of it, start to "feel" unsaved and bound for hell.
Nancy,
One of the most neglected teachings in evangelical and fundamental churches is showing believers from Scripture THEIR POSITION IN CHRIST. If every Christian understood -- by faith, taking God and Christ at their word -- the position God has given to His children (regardless of earthly circumstances), there would be no such symptoms as you have listed above. I have taught this to believers and they have had their eyes opened.

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Nancy,
One of the most neglected teachings in evangelical and fundamental churches is showing believers from Scripture THEIR POSITION IN CHRIST. If every Christian understood -- by faith, taking God and Christ at their word -- the position God has given to His children (regardless of earthly circumstances), there would be no such symptoms as you have listed above. I have taught this to believers and they have had their eyes opened.
Funny you should bring this up. A friend from church and I are organizing a bible study, my choice was topical-"Who we are in Christ". Lol...I will keep your post in mind. :)
BTW-if you have any suggestions as to questions to be asked and answered concerning this, please feel free to share.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Funny you should bring this up. A friend from church and I are organizing a bible study, my choice was topical-"Who we are in Christ". Lol...I will keep your post in mind. :)
BTW-if you have any suggestions as to questions to be asked and answered concerning this, please feel free to share.
A couple of *questions* which should be asked, and which would require detailed answers would be:
1. List all the terms by which believers are called in Scripture.
2. Explain each term in detail, and how it fits into the total picture of how God views His children and how Christ views His Church.
3. Do you take God at His word in connection with this?

Once believers begin to look at themselves from God's perspective, things can change drastically in their attitudes and behavior.