Did The Bible Or The Papacy Transfer The Sabbath Rest To Sunday?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The early Christians met in local synagogues. Since the Jews met on Saturday, they chose to meet on Sunday.

Roman Catholicism didn't even exist at that time.
What is "Roman Catholicism"??

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Vatican and all its followers.
I figured you'd say something as ignorant and stupid as that.
No WONDER why your online forum died and you had to come here . . .

Guess again.

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I figured you'd say something as ignorant and stupid as that.
No WONDER why your online forum died and you had to come here . . .

Guess again.

You trying that garbage argument again?

Nothing ignorant about what I said nor is my site dead. I get 3300+ visitors a month.

There are other websites out there that get almost 0 posting but lots of visitors that come there to read.

And I remind you the Catholic Church is losing membership rapidly.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You trying that garbage argument again?
Nothing ignorant about what I said nor is my site dead. I get 3300+ visitors a month.
There are other websites out there that get almost 0 posting but lots of visitors that come there to read.
So - are you going to tell me what "Roman Catholicism" is - or should I just save everybody's time and expose your ignorance?
And I remind you the Catholic Church is losing membership rapidly.
And, need I remind YOU that this trend is happening across ALL lines within Christianity, Einstein?

Last edited:
Reactions: Marymog

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Looking at the thread title again Catholicism did not move they worship to Sunday. Why? Because it didn't exist then.
Your right. The CC didn't exist until around the year A.D. 107 when St. Ignatius of Antioch wrote it into existence by writing: "Where the bishop is present, there is the Catholic Church" (Letter To the Smyrnaeans 8:2). ;)

Historical Mary

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Your right. The CC didn't exist until around the year A.D. 107 when St. Ignatius of Antioch wrote it into existence by writing: "Where the bishop is present, there is the Catholic Church" (Letter To the Smyrnaeans 8:2). ;)

Historical Mary

Nope.

That was some of the beginnings.

Remember, the so-called church fathers were the fathers of the Catholic Church, not Christ Church.

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Remember, the so-called church fathers were the fathers of the Catholic Church, not Christ Church.
Fascinating......In an effort to determine if we are thinking of the same people would you name 5 "Church Fathers" that you speak of?

Who were the church fathers of "Christ Church"?

Curious Mary

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So - are you going to tell me what "Roman Catholicism" is - or should I just save everybody's time and expose your ignorance?

And, need I remind YOU that this trend is happening across ALL lines within Christianity, Einstein?
My vote is to expose @CoreIssue and teach me something......:)

Curious Mary

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Nope. That was some of the beginnings.
I don't understand what you mean by "Nope"???

Are you saying Ignatius didn't call The Church "Catholic" in the year 107AD??? Or it wasn't the same Catholic Church we have today????

Curious Mary

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't understand what you mean by "Nope"???

Are you saying Ignatius didn't call The Church "Catholic" in the year 107AD??? Or it wasn't the same Catholic Church we have today????

Curious Mary

What he did not mean was the Roman Catholic Church.

The word Catholic existed before Roman Catholic Church exist.

Catholic comes from the Greek katholikos, the combination of two words, kata (concerning), and holos (whole). According to the Oxford Dictionary of English Etymology, the word catholic comes from a Greek word meaning "regarding the whole," or, more simply, "universal" or "general."

Reactions: marksman

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What he did not mean was the Roman Catholic Church. The word Catholic existed before Roman Catholic Church exist.

Catholic comes from the Greek katholikos, the combination of two words, kata (concerning), and holos (whole). According to the Oxford Dictionary of English Etymology, the word catholic comes from a Greek word meaning "regarding the whole," or, more simply, "universal" or "general."
Yup.....Any one that knows their Christian History would agree with you on that.

Using your knowledge of Christian history, what happened to that "Catholic" Church that Ignatius was talking about?

Historical Mary

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yup.....Any one that knows their Christian History would agree with you on that.

Using your knowledge of Christian history, what happened to that "Catholic" Church that Ignatius was talking about?

Historical Mary

A lot of it was perverted by Constantine and some power-hungry bishops creating the Roman Catholic Church.

But even then is always a remnant that stays true to God. They hidden Hills, mountains, remote countries and need even travel to other continents to escape.

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A lot of it was perverted by Constantine and some power-hungry bishops creating the Roman Catholic Church.

But even then is always a remnant that stays true to God. They hidden Hills, mountains, remote countries and need even travel to other continents to escape.
It seems you are saying that the 'true Christians' hid in the hills, mountains, remote countries and fled to other continents while the Christians that perverted scripture came to dominance?

Was Ignatius part of that perversion you speak of or part of the "true Christians"?

Can you list these 'true Christians' and what hills, mountains, countries and continents they fled to? I am not familiar with this part of my Christian History.

Historical Mary

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The law was an observance between God and Israel.
God's law existed before Israel and will exist for all eternity, unless you believe it's now OK for us to worship the devil and cheat on our wives...

B

brakelite

I think the following quotes from a number of church historians may be of interest to all who seek to know the truth.

“Sunday (dies solis. . . .’day of the sun,’ because dedicated to the sun), the
first day of the week, was adopted by the early Christians as a day of
worship. The ‘sun’ of Latin adoration they interpreted as the ‘Sun of
Righteousness.’ . . . . No regulations for its observance are laid down in the
New Testament, nor, indeed, is its observance even enjoined.” The Schaff-
Herzog Encyclopedia of Religious Knowledge, (New York: Funk &
Wagnalls, volume 4, article, ‘Sunday,’ third edition, 1891), p. 2259.

its numbered week days, but by the close of the third century A. D. this
began to give way to the planetary week; and in the fourth and fifth
centuries the pagan designations became generally accepted in the western
half of Christendom. The use of the planetary names by Christians attests
the growing influence of astrological speculations introduced by converts
from paganism. . . . During these same centuries the spread of Oriental
solar worship, especially that of Mithra, in the Roman world, had already
led to the substitution by pagans of dies solis for dies Saturni, as the first
day of the planetary week. . . . Thus gradually a pagan institution was
ingrafted on Christianity.” Hutton Webster, Ph. D., Rest Days (New York:
Macmillan & Co., 1916), pp. 220, 221.

“The Gentiles were an idolatrous people who worshiped the sun, and
Sunday was their most sacred day. Now, in order to reach the people in this
new field, it seems but natural, as well as necessary, to make Sunday the
rest day of the Church. At this time it was necessary for the Church to
either adopt the Gentiles’ day or else have the Gentiles change their day.
To change the Gentiles’ day would have been an offense and stumbling
block to them. The Church could naturally reach them better by keeping
their day.” Dr. William Frederick, Sunday and the Christian Sabbath, pp.
169, 170.

“The Church made a sacred day of Sunday. . . . largely because it was the
weekly festival of the sun; for it was a definite Christian policy to take over
the pagan festivals endeared to the people by tradition, and to given them a
Christian significance.” Arthur Weigall, The Paganism in Our Christianity
(New York: G. P. Putnam’s Sons, copyright in 1928), p. 145.

B

brakelite

It seems you are saying that the 'true Christians' hid in the hills, mountains, remote countries and fled to other continents while the Christians that perverted scripture came to dominance?
Those that perverted scripture weren't Christians...they were gnostics...and Jerome with his Latin Vulgate was influenced by them.
Was Ignatius part of that perversion you speak of or part of the "true Christians"?
Ignatius Loyola was absolutely perverted. But I don't think you meant him did you. Sorry, don't know any others.
Can you list these 'true Christians' and what hills, mountains, countries and continents they fled to? I am not familiar with this part of my Christian History.
The Waldenses of the Piedmont.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
God's law existed before Israel and will exist for all eternity, unless you believe it's now OK for us to worship the devil and cheat on our wives...

Adam was asked one thing, "dont eat of that tree",,
Love always existed even before time because God is love.

The law was given to the Jews to show them sin and to Slay Christ, without the Law they would have had no cause to Kill Him

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ignatius Loyola was absolutely perverted. But I don't think you meant him did you. Sorry, don't know any others.
Ignatius of Antioch is whom I was referring.

Name the #1 perverted thing Ignatius Loyola believed/wrote/taught.

Mary

B

brakelite

Ignatius of Antioch is whom I was referring.

Name the #1 perverted thing Ignatius Loyola believed/wrote/taught.

Mary
What seems to me white, I will believe black if the hierarchical Church so defines.

This is typically Catholic. A perversion of authority and common sense. The result of his teachings brought about jesuitism. Rotten apples don't fall from an uncorrupted tree.