• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
OK, I thought he used the King James.
who?

Even the origional King Jimmy sort of Got it right. Repent YE and let every one of YOU

Ye is plural. You is singular. He did not tell everyone to be baptized. He only told select induviduals. This fits with the greek.

New engish does not support this

Cooper

Jan 31, 2020
Sheffield, Yorkshire, home of Robin Hood.
robinhood-loxley.weebly.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
who?

Even the origional King Jimmy sort of Got it right. Repent YE and let every one of YOU

Ye is plural. You is singular. He did not tell everyone to be baptized. He only told select induviduals. This fits with the greek.

New engish does not support this
JBF told me he used the KJV.

Perhaps he was quoting from memory?

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That is what it says:
Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost. (Acts 2:38 KJV)
thats not what he greek says. That is what I have been saying

In this passage. The gift of the spirit is recieved because of repentance. We are baptized because we recieve remission not in order to recieve it.

Baptism of the spirit happens at the moment of faith.

Cooper

Jan 31, 2020
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
thats not what he greek says. That is what I have been saying

In this passage. The gift of the spirit is recieved because of repentance. We are baptized because we recieve remission not in order to recieve it.

Baptism of the spirit happens at the moment of faith.
Most certainly we would not receive the Gift of the Holy Spirit before we had repented, and as baptism is a public witness of our repentance, then it follows the Gift of the Holy Spirit is the next step, after the remission of our sins.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yeah, when they are baptized by Jesus. Not by some priest. Spiritual baptism and water baptism are two seperate baptisms

one is the washing of regeneration spiritual circumcision performed by the hand of God

the other is a symbol, and outward testimony work of righteousness in obedience of God performed by man

water baptism no more cleanses a NT soul than physical circumcision cleaned an OT soul under the law. They both were/are symbols of the work of God in our life

Spirit baptism is absolutely promised as the result of water baptism in Jesus' Name (Acts of the Apostles 2:38-39).

Peter did not say this, your reading a flawed English text.

Of course that would have to be it.

Because the way it is written in the kjv, you disagree with the teaching that comes from the text.

So, you went to a Greek scholar to tell you what it really means.

Someone like the educated scribes and Pharisees, who rejected Jesus, rather than somoene like the common people, who received Him gladly.

It's not possible that God would be sovereign, Omnipotent, and loving; and because of these attributes that He would preserve His unadulterated message in the kjv for all who would do the work needed to discern what translations are faithful.

I am of the kjv-superior position. Modern translations have been watered down; but they can be useful if you make the kjv your primary Bible and only go to them when there is something in the kjv that you don't understand.

That’s exactly what Peter said, he said to everyone, repent and you will recieve the gift of the spirit, and on account of remmision of sin, be baptized

Sounds to me like you have changed the word of God to fit what you want for it to say.

If you look in the Greek, the word repent and be baptized are in two different forms, one command is to everyone, the other is to only select people, when you look up the modifying phrase, you find remission of sin goes with be baptized. Then as yu day, into or for can mean either on account of, or in order to recieve, it is used both ways in scripture, in this case, as you said, since remission of sin came based solely on repentance and faith, in this case we must is “on account of” as the proper interpretation.

Again, you have changed the word of the Lord to fit your desired interpretation.

one baptism,

To be more precise, baptism is three-in-one.

1) water, 2) Spirit, 3) fire.

Ye is plural. You is singular.

Actually, ye is singular and you is plural.

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Most certainly we would not receive the Gift of the Holy Spirit before we had repented, and as baptism is a public witness of our repentance, then it follows the Gift of the Holy Spirit is the next step.

Repentance is the first step. Those who repent recieve the gift of the spirit. Because they have been washed byu the HS (HS baptism)

Water baptism follows this.

if you get water baptized before you are spirit baptized. You get wet. but are still dead in your sin.

Cooper

Jan 31, 2020
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Repentance is the first step. Those who repent recieve the gift of the spirit. Because they have been washed byu the HS (HS baptism)

Water baptism follows this.

if you get water baptized before you are spirit baptized. You get wet. but are still dead in your sin.
No. You have repented, been forgiven and then the Holy Spirit can enter in and take vacant possession of your heart.

Where Satan abounds the Holy Spirit flees away. Forgiveness comes first after repentance, and then God comes into your life.

We need to be washed in the blood of the Lamb first, our sins white as snow, before receiving the gift of the Holy Spirit.

Last edited:

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No. You have repented, been forgiven and then the Holy Spirit can enter in and take vacant possession of your heart.

Where Satan abounds the Holy Spirit flees away. Forgiveness comes first after repentance, and then God comes into your life.

Yes. But he can not enter you until you are first washed. Your washing or redemption is based on the baptism of the Holy Spirit. The baptism and anointing are two different acts of God

We need to be washed in the blood of the Lamb first, our sins white as snow, before receiving the gift of the Holy Spirit.
Yes. But this is not accomplished in water baptism, It is accomplished with spirit baptism. or the washing of regeneration of the holy spirit (titus 3: 50 or the circumcision done by the hand of God through the baptism performed by God (Col 2)

Water is not involved

Cooper

Jan 31, 2020
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Yes. But he can not enter you until you are first washed. Your washing or redemption is based on the baptism of the Holy Spirit. The baptism and anointing are two different acts of God

Yes. But this is not accomplished in water baptism, It is accomplished with spirit baptism. or the washing of regeneration of the holy spirit (titus 3: 50 or the circumcision done by the hand of God through the baptism performed by God (Col 2)

Water is not involved
It is the blood of Jesus Christ that cleanses us from all sin, not by works of righteousness. That said, we repent of our sins, and we come to Jesus believing. We are washed in the blood of the Lamb (Jesus) and the Holy Spirit enters in.

The act of baptism is our statement of faith. It says more than words can tell That we believe in Jesus Christ for the salvation of sins, we have accepted Him into our heart, and made Him the Lord of our life.

That done, we are born again of the Spirit. The waters cover the old man, and we arise a new creation, our sins washed away, born not of earth but of the Holy Spirit, to life everlasting.

Last edited:
Reactions: justbyfaith

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes; in Acts of the Apostles 2:38-39, repentance and water baptism in Jesus' Name are the conditions for the promise of the Holy Ghost.

This promise is given to "as many as the Lord our God shall call."

Now, Romans 8:30,

Rom 8:30, Moreover whom he did predestinate, them he also called: and whom he called, them he also justified: and whom he justified, them he also glorified.

The blind may fail to see it.

2Co 4:3, But if our gospel be hid, it is hid to them that are lost:
2Co 4:4, In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them.

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is the blood of Jesus Christ that cleanses us from all sin, not by works of righteousness. That said, we repent of our sins, and we come to Jesus believing. We are washed in the blood of the Lamb (Jesus) and the Holy Spirit enters in.

The act of baptism is our statement of faith. It says more than words can tell That we believe in Jesus Christ for the salvation of sins, we have accepted Him into our heart, and made Him the Lord of our life.

That done, we are born again of the Spirit. The waters cover the old man, and we arise a new creation, our sins washed away, born not of earth but of the Holy Spirit, to life everlasting.

You are right up until your last statment.

That statement makes our salvation based on works. Not on Gods mercy

God does not need me to make a statement of faith. He knows my heart. That is how he knows if my faith is real.

God told me to do many things

Assemble together
Study to shew myself approved
Pray continuously
Be baptized
Take the lords supper
Give to the poor
Love and serve others

These, And so many more works of righteousness, are results of our faith and salvation. Non of them are done to earn salvation. You do not get the gift of the spirit because you are water baptized. or when You get he gift when you are washed (baptized) by God himself

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You do not get the gift of the spirit because you are water baptized. or when You get he gift when you are washed (baptized) by God himself
Ignoring Acts of the Apostles 2:38-39 again I see. Also Acts of the Apostles 22:16.

Can we say that you are even willfully ignorant of those verses?

Cooper

Jan 31, 2020
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
You are right up until your last statment.

That statement makes our salvation based on works. Not on Gods mercy

God does not need me to make a statement of faith. He knows my heart. That is how he knows if my faith is real.

God told me to do many things

Assemble together
Study to shew myself approved
Pray continuously
Be baptized
Take the lords supper
Give to the poor
Love and serve others

These, And so many more works of righteousness, are results of our faith and salvation. Non of them are done to earn salvation. You do not get the gift of the spirit because you are water baptized. or when You get he gift when you are washed (baptized) by God himself
How do you make a confession of faith without telling someone?

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Does God need me to make a confession of faith to know my faith is real?

even so, Do I need to be water baptized to tell someone I received Christ?
Nope.

It sure does help to make a good testimony, though.

And, you can have a greater assurance in your heart if you receive baptism in Jesus' Name (Mark 16:16 vs. John 3:16).

Cooper

Jan 31, 2020
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Does God need me to make a confession of faith to know my faith is real?

even so, Do I need to be water baptized to tell someone I received Christ?

That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation. (Romans 10:9-10 KJV)

Whosoever therefore shall confess me before men, him will I confess also before my Father which is in heaven. But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven. (Matthew 10:32-33 KJV)

Whosoever shall confess that Jesus is the Son of God, God dwelleth in him, and he in God. (1 John 4:15 KJV)

Hereby know ye the Spirit of God: Every spirit that confesseth that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is of God:
(1 John 4:2 KJV)

Last edited:
Reactions: justbyfaith

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation. (Romans 10:9-10 KJV)

Whosoever therefore shall confess me before men, him will I confess also before my Father which is in heaven. But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven. (Matthew 10:32-33 KJV)

Whosoever shall confess that Jesus is the Son of God, God dwelleth in him, and he in God. (1 John 4:15 KJV)

Hereby know ye the Spirit of God: Every spirit that confesseth that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is of God:
(1 John 4:2 KJV)

Where is water baptism?