• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No He doesn't.
The Water Cult that owns you says that, teaches that..... but Jesus never did, and never would.

you can join a Bible study by faith alone but not a covenant

covenants have requirements
As circumcision was the initiation and outward sign of the mosaic covenant so faith & baptism are for the new covenant

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That's cult teaching. "water cult".

= Jehovah's Witness and Cult of the Virgin.....and some others.

Listen...
God forgives sins, based on the DEATH of CHRIST and the SHED BLOOD of Jesus..

What has water to do with that? = NOTHING.

"without the shedding of BLOOD, there is no REMiSSION of SIN"...- there is no way to forgive it.

not what God says:

The promise (sacred oath or sacrament) of the Father acts 2:38-39 with reference to ez 36:25-27

Acts 2:38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

39 For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call.

Ez 36:25 Then will I sprinkle clean water upon you, and ye shall be clean: from all your filthiness, and from all your idols, will I cleanse you.

26 A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh.

27 And I will put my spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes, and ye shall keep my judgments, and do them.

Jn 3:5 born again by water and the spirit.

Heb 7:21 For those priests were made without an oath; but this with an oath by him that said unto him, The Lord sware and will not repent, Thou art a priest for ever after the order of Melchisedec
(Oath = sacrament)

Hebrews 8:6
But now hath he obtained a more excellent ministry, by how much also he is the mediator of a better covenant, which was established upon better promises. Based on Jer 31:31 Behold, the days come, saith the Lord, that I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel, and with the house of Judah:

A promise is a sacred oath or sacrament!
Baptismal regeneration is the promise of the Father for union in the new covenant!

The church and the seven sacraments are necessary for salvation

Better covenant on better promises

2 Timothy 1:1
Paul, an apostle of Jesus Christ by the will of God, according to the promise of life which is in Christ Jesus,

Life of supernatural grace merited by Christ in His passion and death!

An oath to sacramental life in the new covenant in union with the mediator and communion with God, and the saints!

Promise of the Father acts 2:23-39
Promise is an oath and an oath is a sacrament! This promise of the sacrament of baptism refers to ez. 36:25-27

1 Corinthians 12:13
For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit.

Galatians 3:27
For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ.

1 Pet 3:20
Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water.

21 The like figure whereunto even baptism doth also now save us!
(Ark of Noah a type of the church, member of Christ and his church and salvation by baptism!)
(Outside the ark all died and outside the church there is no salvation!)
Acts 22:16
And now why tarriest thou? arise, and be baptized, and wash away thy sins, calling on the name of the Lord.

Rom 3:24

Philip James

May 4, 2018
Brandon
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
What about baptism and the rest? How were David’s sins removed and who was authorized to forgive them since he had no priest ?

Hello EG,
David had priests and prophets with him. (Was it Nahum who told him God had forgiven His sin?)

But we have a far better covenant witj better promises, mediated by an eternal High Priest who promised to remain with us...
Empowered by the Holy Spirit, and nurtured by Christ, is it easier for us? I would expect so, but harder too as we will be accountable to a greater standard, not just our actions, but our very thoughts and desires...

Peace!

Philip James

May 4, 2018
Brandon
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
So in your view, the jews, who had almost 2000 years of jewish truth, were right and Jesus was wrong? (Using your example)

I suggested no such thing..

Jesus Himself recognized the authority of the priests and scribes
'do all they tell you for they sit in Moses' seat...

He subsequently took their authority to tend God's vineyard and gave it to the apostles.
Through them He established His Church, to whom He promised to be with until the end of the age...

I will live with them and move among them, and I will be their God and they shall be my people

Peace!

Philip James

May 4, 2018
Brandon
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
You falsely claim that your church is "the" church.
You speak of is as if it is the authority.
Well, to you, im sure it is.
To me, is nothing. Its just one more well dressed extremely rich man made demonic fake.
So
Your claim is false, so your response is the same.
Your "water cult" is not "the Church".
Your "water cult"... is a Mary Worshiping insult regarding the Truth.

Let me give you some advice, Philip.
Recognize that you are not on a "cult of the Virgin" forum.
Recognize this, immediately, and no longer talk to members here as if the "cult of the virgin" has anything to offer a real born again Christian.

And may Almighty God bless you,
In the name of the Father,
And of the Son
And of the Holy Spirit

St.Therese, pray for us!

Marvelloustime

Sep 15, 2020
Heaven bound
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Come one come all to the true biblical JESUS . Learn well HIS sayings , having them engrained
by the SPIRIT upon our hearts and in our minds .
FLEE the voice of the harlot . For even her daughters now cry , alas , alas ye are our mother
come and let us join hands with the mother harlot . FLEE her
and partake not her all inclusion delusion . Partake not of her unity
and heed not her voice . For her chambers lead wide into the bowels of hell and the second death shall be her end .
COME and learn OF CHRIST , Learn and find the true peace which is of GOD .
The peace whereby and the only peace whereby a man can be reconciled to GOD .
Learn those bibles well . Feasting and loving every word .
Oh the Lord be praised.

Reactions: amigo de christo

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello EG,
David had priests and prophets with him. (Was it Nahum who told him God had forgiven His sin?)

But we have a far better covenant witj better promises, mediated by an eternal High Priest who promised to remain with us...
Empowered by the Holy Spirit, and nurtured by Christ, is it easier for us? I would expect so, but harder too as we will be accountable to a greater standard, not just our actions, but our very thoughts and desires...

Peace!
You just proved my point

it’s harder for you because you have to work at these sacraments that David did not have to do

David was still saved by faith by the way. That’s why Nathan said his sin was forgiven before David actually asked. And as David said. Sacrifice and burnt offering you did not desire. He understood it was grace that saved him.

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I suggested no such thing..

Jesus Himself recognized the authority of the priests and scribes
'do all they tell you for they sit in Moses' seat...

He subsequently took their authority to tend God's vineyard and gave it to the apostles.
Through them He established His Church, to whom He promised to be with until the end of the age...

I will live with them and move among them, and I will be their God and they shall be my people

Peace!
Yet they rejected Christ and most of what they thought were in error. You
Missed My whole point.

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You just proved my point

it’s harder for you because you have to work at these sacraments that David did not have to do

David was still saved by faith by the way. That’s why Nathan said his sin was forgiven before David actually asked. And as David said. Sacrifice and burnt offering you did not desire. He understood it was grace that saved him.

thr new covenant has fewer but more powerful (grace imparting) sacraments

but both have priests and sacraments cos both are covenants

Philip James

May 4, 2018
Brandon
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
You just proved my point

Brother, you misunderstand me. The sacraments make it easier for us,
because through them Jesus gives His life to us and empowers us to walk in the Way of our Master...

'if we suffer with Him, we shall also be glorified with Him'

We are in full agreement that we are saved by Grace through faith!

As to sacrifice David also said: Place a clean heart in me... then I will offer you acceptable sacrifices..

For from the rising of the sun, even to its setting, my name is great among the nations; And everywhere they bring sacrifice to my name, and a pure offering; For great is my name among the nations, says the LORD of hosts.

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Brother, you misunderstand me. The sacraments make it easier for us,
because through them Jesus gives His life to us and empowers us to walk in the Way of our Master...

'if we suffer with Him, we shall also be glorified with Him'
Your still trying to earn something God calls a gift. I guess if you want to catch all the basis just to make sure your saved.
But to me, I just need to trust Christ, everyone who comes to Christ will suffer with hm,

We are in full agreement that we are saved by Grace through faith!

As to sacrifice David also said: Place a clean heart in me... then I will offer you acceptable sacrifices..

For from the rising of the sun, even to its setting, my name is great among the nations; And everywhere they bring sacrifice to my name, and a pure offering; For great is my name among the nations, says the LORD of hosts.

You can’t claim you believe grace through faith yet have to go through all these hoops of good deeds, or else grace is forfeit,

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
well perhaps I did at that.. misunderstandings can cause all kinds of issues..

Can you please clarify our rephrase your point?

Peace!
The jews had 2000 years of Gods laws, his priests and his word,

yet in the end, anyone who followed them were led to hell

trying to use the excuse you have 2000 years of history, well the last people who used that excuse got it wrong, you better pray your not making the same mistake

Last edited:

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
And may Almighty God bless you,
In the name of the Father,
And of the Son
And of the Holy Spirit

St.Therese, pray for us!

Dont pray to other humans.
That type of religion is not of God, and not of Christ.
Leave this cult that has taught you to pray to other People.
Its an insult to Christ and God when you pray to other people.
Would you pray to me if i was dead?
Yet you'll pray to other people who have died?
C'mon. !
Wake up and get out of this cultish darkness, PHillip.

Reactions: Charlie24

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
C'mon. !

really?

James 5:16
Confess your faults one to another, and pray one for another, that ye may be healed. The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much.

Acts 6:4
But we will give ourselves continually to prayer, and to the ministry of the word.

Acts 10:4
And when he looked on him, he was afraid, and said, What is it, Lord? And he said unto him, Thy prayers and thine alms are come up for a memorial before God.

1. Romans 1:9
    For God is my witness, whom I serve with my spirit in the gospel of his Son, that without ceasing I make mention of you always in my prayers;

2 Corinthians 9:14
    And by their prayer for you, which long after you for the exceeding grace of God in you.

Ephesians 6:18
    Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, and watching thereunto with all perseverance and supplication for all saints;

rev 5:8 And when he had taken the book, the four beasts and four and twenty elders fell down before the Lamb, having every one of them harps, and golden vials full of odours, which are the prayers of saints.

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
C'mon. !

not dead

John 11:25
Jesus said unto her, I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live:

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
  1. Romans 13:11
    And that, knowing the time, that now it is high time to awake out of sleep: for now is our salvation nearer than when we believed.

you can believe “faith alone” or “Bible alone” but not both!

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Church fathers

A) "It does not suffice to believe. He who believes and is not yet baptized, but is only a Catechumen, has not yet fully acquired salvation." St. Thomas Aquinas

B) "Now, even the Catechumen believes in the Cross of the Lord Jesus, but unless he be baptized in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Ghost, he cannot receive remission of his sins nor the gift of spiritual grace." St. Ambrose

C) "Without the Sacrament of Baptism, no one is ever justified. If anyone says that Baptism is optional, that is, not necessary for salvation: let him be anathema." Council of Trent

D)
“There are three ways in which sins are forgiven: in baptism, in prayer, and in the greater humility of penance; yet God does not forgive sins except to the baptized” (Sermons to Catechumens on the Creed 7:15 [A.D. 395]).
St. AUGUSTINE

E) “As many as are persuaded and believe that what we [Christians] teach and say is true, and undertake to be able to live accordingly . . . are brought by us where there is water, and are regenerated in the same manner in which we were ourselves regenerated. For, in the name of God, the Father and Lord of the universe, and of our Savior Jesus Christ, and of the Holy Spirit, they then receive the washing with water. For Christ also said, ‘Except you be born again, you shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven’ [John 3:3]” (First Apology 61 [A.D. 151]).
JUSTIN MARTYR

TERTULLIAN
“Happy is our sacrament of water, in that, by washing away the sins of our early blindness, we are set free and admitted into eternal life. . . . [But] a viper of the [Gnostic] Cainite heresy, lately conversant in this quarter, has carried away a great number with her most venomous doctrine, making it her first aim to destroy baptism—which is quite in accordance with nature, for vipers and.asps . . . themselves generally do live in arid and waterless places. But we, little fishes after the example of our [Great] Fish, Jesus Christ, are born in water, nor have we safety in any other way than by permanently abiding in water. So that most monstrous creature, who had no right to teach even sound doctrine, knew full well how to kill the little fishes—by taking them away from the water!” (Baptism 1 [A.D. 203]).

“Without baptism, salvation is attainable by none” (ibid., 12).

ORIGEN
“It is not possible to receive forgiveness of sins without baptism” (Exhortation to the Martyrs 30 [A.D. 235]).

CYRIL OF JERUSALEM
“If any man does not receive baptism, he does not have salvation.

Illuminator

Jan 11, 2020
Hamilton
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Your still trying to earn something God calls a gift. I guess if you want to catch all the basis just to make sure your saved.
But to me, I just need to trust Christ, everyone who comes to Christ will suffer with hm,
Sacraments are not "good deeds" nor are they "works".
You can’t claim you believe grace through faith yet have to go through all these hoops of good deeds, or else grace is forfeit,
That is a LIE propagated by Protestant teachers, books, videos and so on.
...First, though: some preliminary observations. As usual, you are unwilling or unable to understand the relationship of human free will to God’s grace. We believe we can cooperate with God’s grace in order to “merit.” Yet that very merit is itself completely an act of God’s grace. Here is some more relevant information to consider:

The Second Council of Orange (529 A.D.), accepted as dogma by the Catholic Church, dogmatically taught in its Canon 7:

If anyone asserts that we can, by our natural powers, think as we ought, or choose any good pertaining to the salvation of eternal life . . . without the illumination and inspiration of the Holy Spirit . . . he is misled by a heretical spirit . . . [goes on to cite Jn 15:5, 2 Cor 3:5]

Likewise, the ecumenical Council of Trent (1545-63): Chapter 5, Decree on Justification:

. . . Man . . . is not able, by his own free-will, without the grace of God, to move himself unto justice in His sight.
Yet the "works salvation myth" continues...

Canon I on Justification:

If anyone saith that man may be justified before God by his own works, whether done through the teaching of human nature or that of the law, without the grace of God through Jesus Christ; let him be anathema.

The existence of a measure of human free will in order for man to cooperate with God’s grace does not reduce inevitably and necessarily to Semi-Pelagianism, as Luther, Calvin, and present-day Calvinists wrongly charge. The Catholic view is a third way. Our “meritorious actions” are always necessarily preceded and caused and crowned and bathed in God’s enabling grace. But this doesn’t wipe out our cooperation, which is not intrinsically meritorious in the sense that it derives from us and not God . . . Second Orange again:

The reward given for good works is not won by reason of actions which precede grace, but grace, which is unmerited, precedes actions in order that they may be accomplished meritoriously.

Catholic theologian Ludwig Ott describes the Catholic view:

As God’s grace is the presupposition and foundation of supernatural good works, by which man merits eternal life, so salutary works are, at the same time gifts of God and meritorious acts of man. (Fundamentals of Catholic Dogma, Rockford, Illinois: TAN Books, 1974 [orig. 1952], 264)

St. Augustine wrote:

What merit of man is there before grace by which he can achieve grace, as only grace works every one of our good merits in us, and as God, when He crowns our merits, crowns nothing else but His own gifts? (Ep. 194, 5, 19; in Ott, 265)

The Lord has made Himself a debtor, not by receiving, but by promising. Man cannot say to Him, “Give back what thou hast received” but only “Give what thou hast promised.” (Enarr. in Ps 83, 16; in Ott, 267)
The concept of merit and its corollary reward is well-supported in Scripture (Mt 5:12; 19:17, 21, 29; 25:21; 25:34 ff.; Lk 6:38; Rom 2:6; 1 Cor 3:8; 9:17; Col 3:24; Heb 6:10; 10:35; 11:6; 2 Tim 4:8; Eph 6:8).

So, with that background, let’s look at the Premm quote (Dogmatic Theology for the Laity, Rev. Matthias Premm, Rockford, Illinois: TAN Books and Publishers, 1977 [orig. 1967, by the Society of St. Paul] in broad context (pp. 261-264 — emphasis in original — , with McCarthy’s citations bracketed and in blue):

"...McCarthy says: It is universally accepted dogma of the Catholic Church that man, in union with the grace of the Holy Spirit must merit heaven by his good works. :rolleyes:

. . . . The Catholic Church was right in maintaining against Luther, at the Council of Trent, that heaven is merited by our good works, because this is the clear teaching of revelation. “We have shown that according to Holy Scripture the Christian can actually merit heaven for himself by his good works. But we must realize that these works have to be performed in the state of grace and with a good intention . . .

Jesus himself tells his disciples: ‘I am the vine, you are the branches. He who abides in me (by the state of grace), and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit (for heaven). If a man does not abide in me (by mortal sin) . . . he can do nothing’ – he can bear no fruit for heaven; just as the branch that is cut off from the vine cannot produce any grapes.

By sanctifying grace we are children of God. Only by sanctifying grace do we have a right to heaven as our heritage. By purely natural good acts, such as even the sinner can perform, heaven cannot be merited as a reward; we must be in the state of grace, a child of God. Only after human nature has been united to God by grace and raised up above it’s own nature can good acts, which proceed from this supernaturally elevated nature, be directed towards the possession of God in the hereafter. Only in this way can we merit the vision of God in heaven, since it completely surpasses the powers of our pure human nature.

By sanctifying grace we become living members of the mystical body of Christ, one with Christ our Head. Thus our acts become acts of Christ, who, in an incomprehensible way, is living and working in [p. 264] his members. Through this intimate union with Christ, our Mediator before the Father, we merit the happiness of heaven.

Finally, sanctifying grace makes us temples of the Holy Spirit, who compels us to good works (Rom 8:14). St. Francis de Sales writes that the Holy Spirit performs good works in us with such consummate skill that the works belong more to him than to us. He works with us and we work with him. In this activity we use our free will. By our free will we submit all our human activity to the grace and will of God. By this act of reverence and worship, our good acts redound to the glory of God. Our will could also take a stand against God’s will, and commit sin.
By isolating sentences (the classic and quintessential anti-Catholic methodology) which emphasize man’s cooperation and effort, it appears that McCarthy had hoped to leave a false impression that we believe we can get to heaven on our own power, pulling ourselves up by our own bootstraps, without God’s enabling grace. But this is the heresy of Pelagianism, which both Catholic dogma and Premm (even in immediate context) clearly condemn.

This is, therefore, apparently deliberate misrepresentation on McCarthy’s part, and that is a serious sin — a violation of the Ten Commandments and even basic pagan and secular ethical precepts. Whatever McCarthy or other anti-Catholics think of our theology, their own Christian tradition (as well as Jesus Himself) condemn them for slander and lying, whether we are Christian “brothers” or not, in their thinking. As we indeed are their brothers in Christ, their sin is all the greater. McCarthy’s polemical anti-Catholic video has also been clearly shown by Catholic apologetics magazine This Rock to be slanderous and grossly inaccurate. Let us hope and pray that he will repent, for his sake, and for the sake of the thousands he is leading astray.

James 3:1 (RSV) Not many of you should become teachers, my brothers and sisters, for you know that we who teach will be judged with greater strictness.
Catholic Merit vs. Distorted Caricatures (James McCarthy)

It's easy to find Catholics who can't reduce all the above information into sound bytes that Protestants can accept, because as you can see, the "earn salvation" myth is not so simple. But despite all this evidence, the myth continues. Especially when anti-Catholic teachers, like McCarthy, with Ph.D's, who have repeatedly encountered Catholic apologists and KNOW Catholic teaching, deliberately LIE about it anyway.

The next time you encounter an ignorant Catholic who says we earn our salvation, ask them if they understand the heresy of Pelagianism. If they don't, find one who does.