Do animals have souls?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

JBO

Oct 20, 2023
Prescott, AZ
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Also, Spirit and soul, according to Hebrews 4:12, can be divided, so they cannot be one in the same.

"For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart."
Yes, that is indeed true; however, when speaking of the human being, soul and spirit are used almost interchangeably in both the OT and the NT. That, I assume, is because the human being is a soul with a spirit; and never is there a case where the human being is a soul without a spirit.

Reactions: TonyChanYT

JBO

Oct 20, 2023
Prescott, AZ
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
  • What is the difference between a "soul" and a "spirit"?
  • What are the properties of each?
  • Is consciousness a requirement to say a creature is a soul?
Even with everything we know today about the human being, we are not able to completely, or even adequately, define or understand the consciousness of man.

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Even with everything we know today about the human being, we are not able to completely, or even adequately, define or understand the consciousness of man.
That kinda cuts the legs out from under any arguments, don't it? (Not that having well-defined terms is a prerequisite for starting up an argument here on the internet.)

rwb

Nov 11, 2022
Branson
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It’s great that you posted the Strong’s Lexicon, it’s very informative!

Did you notice any of those verses, where it says the soul was dead?

Because the Bible teaches that…

Leviticus 19:28…

Leviticus 21:1…

Leviticus 21:11…

Numbers 5:2…

Numbers 6:6…

Numbers 6:11…

Numbers 19:13…

Deuteronomy 14:1…

Ezekiel 18:4…

Ezekiel 18:20…

..and others.

The concept of the “immortal soul”, is not found in the Bible.

In fact, such a doctrine conflicts with Jesus’ future Resurrection promise (John 5:28,29; John 6:40), for if the dead are already ‘living in another realm’, as is often taught, then there’s no need to bring them back to life…..

“To resurrect is to bring back from the dead…Resurrecting always involves bringing something back to life.”

Of course a living soul dies. Since every living breathing creature on the earth has a physical body with the breath of life, which is spirit, the two alive together is a living soul. When the body of every living breathing creature dies, our spirit returns to God who gave it (Ecc 12:7). When that happens the body becomes a corpse, dead, altogether without life, that soul has expired, has physically died.

What about the spirit in mankind that is also part of the living soul? According to Scripture that part of the living soul, called spirit will either return to God possessing eternal life through the Holy Spirit from Christ in it, or it will return to God in darkness and silence, which is what is written of those who die in unbelief and as corpse (human body) without faith. Because the DEAD know nothing, until they are raised to physical life again in an hour coming when the last trumpet sounds. The DEAD shall be raised only to be judged and cast into the lake of fire that is the second death.

The spirit in humankind that has the Spirit of Christ NEVER dies! The life we receive through Christ's Spirit when we are born again is ETERNAL and shall not die even though our flesh shall return to the dust of the earth. That spirit that left the corpse when the body dies becomes a spiritual body of believers in heaven, and in heaven is still a soul. Because only the physical part of the living soul died, while the spirit giving the body life returned to God ALIVE! That's how John can write of souls in heaven after a man/woman has physically died.

Matthew 10:28 (KJV) And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

Matthew 11:29 (KJV) Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.

Hebrews 4:12 (KJV) For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

1 Peter 1:9 (KJV) Receiving the end of your faith, even the salvation of your souls.

1 Peter 4:19 (KJV)
Wherefore let them that suffer according to the will of God commit the keeping of their souls to him in well doing, as unto a faithful Creator.

Revelation 6:9 (KJV)
And when he had opened the fifth seal, I saw under the altar the souls of them that were slain for the word of God, and for the testimony which they held:

Revelation 20:4 (KJV) And I saw thrones, and they sat upon them, and judgment was given unto them: and I saw the souls of them that were beheaded for the witness of Jesus, and for the word of God, and which had not worshipped the beast, neither his image, neither had received his mark upon their foreheads, or in their hands; and they lived and reigned with Christ a thousand years.

Revelation 7:14-15 (KJV) And I said unto him, Sir, thou knowest. And he said to me, These are they which came out of great tribulation, and have washed their robes, and made them white in the blood of the Lamb. Therefore are they before the throne of God, and serve him day and night in his temple: and he that sitteth on the throne shall dwell among them.

Revelation 14:1-3 (KJV) And I looked, and, lo, a Lamb stood on the mount Sion, and with him an hundred forty and four thousand, having his Father's name written in their foreheads. And I heard a voice from heaven, as the voice of many waters, and as the voice of a great thunder: and I heard the voice of harpers harping with their harps: And they sung as it were a new song before the throne, and before the four beasts, and the elders: and no man could learn that song but the hundred and forty and four thousand, which were redeemed from the earth.

1 Corinthians 15:44-45 (KJV) It is sown a natural body; it is raised a spiritual body. There is a natural body, and there is a spiritual body. And so it is written, The first man Adam was made a living soul; the last Adam was made a quickening spirit.

2 Corinthians 4:12-18 (KJV)
So then death worketh in us, but life in you. We having the same spirit of faith, according as it is written, I believed, and therefore have I spoken; we also believe, and therefore speak; Knowing that he which raised up the Lord Jesus shall raise up us also by Jesus, and shall present us with you. For all things are for your sakes, that the abundant grace might through the thanksgiving of many redound to the glory of God. For which cause we faint not; but though our outward man perish, yet the inward man is renewed day by day. For our light affliction, which is but for a moment, worketh for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory; While we look not at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen: for the things which are seen are temporal; but the things which are not seen are eternal.

2 Corinthians 5:1-8 (KJV)
For we know that if our earthly house of this tabernacle were dissolved, we have a building of God, an house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens. For in this we groan, earnestly desiring to be clothed upon with our house which is from heaven: If so be that being clothed we shall not be found naked. For we that are in this tabernacle do groan, being burdened: not for that we would be unclothed, but clothed upon, that mortality might be swallowed up of life. Now he that hath wrought us for the selfsame thing is God, who also hath given unto us the earnest of the Spirit. Therefore we are always confident, knowing that, whilst we are at home in the body, we are absent from the Lord: (For we walk by faith, not by sight:) We are confident, I say, and willing rather to be absent from the body, and to be present with the Lord.

Philippians 1:21-24 (KJV) For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain. But if I live in the flesh, this is the fruit of my labour: yet what I shall choose I wot not. For I am in a strait betwixt two, having a desire to depart, and to be with Christ; which is far better: Nevertheless to abide in the flesh is more needful for you.

Christ gave us His promise that the life we receive in Him is ETERNAL and that we shall never die. Christ would not have given us this blessed promise if physical death of our body would also be death of our eternal spirit with His life-giving Spirit within. Those who believe the living soul of humankind with the Spirit of Christ within ceases to have life after physical death, have no understanding of forever, eternal, never ending life the Spirit of Christ gives all who turn to Christ for life everlasting. Either in faith we believe the promise Christ gives to all who believe in Him, or we doubt His Word, and live in fear of death without understanding that death in Christ means that death no longer has power over faithful saints.

rwb

Nov 11, 2022
Branson
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1 Corinthians 15:50
(50) Now I say this, brothers, that flesh and blood can’t inherit God’s Kingdom; neither does the perishable inherit imperishable.​

In order to get into heaven we need to be changed to have a spiritual body. Only Christians are promised that. Everyone else, will be resurrected with a flesh and bones human body again, and will live on the earth. Animals will not be resurrected, because resurrection is only available to humans, descendants of Adam, as a result of the redemption price that Jesus paid. The sacrifice of a human life does not redeem animals from sin, and animals are not capable of becoming Christians! Therefore there will not be any animals in heaven.

When the dead are resurrected from the graves in an hour coming, when the last trumpet sounds, we will either be resurrected to eternal life or to condemnation in the lake of fire. None will live again on this earth, because this earth shall be consumed by the fire of God's wrath that shall come down from heaven to burn up the earth and all things on it. Then there will be a new earth when all things shall be made new. Only those who are not resurrected to damnation shall be physically resurrected immortal & incorruptible shall live forevermore with Christ on the new earth.

John 5:28-29 (KJV) Marvel not at this: for the hour is coming, in the which all that are in the graves shall hear his voice, And shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of damnation.

1 Corinthians 15:51-53 (KJV) Behold, I shew you a mystery; We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed, In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed. For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality.

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

..and others.

In fact, such a doctrine conflicts with Jesus’ future Resurrection promise (John 5:28,29; John 6:40), for if the dead are already ‘living in another realm’, as is often taught, then there’s no need to bring them back to life…..

“To resurrect is to bring back from the dead…Resurrecting always involves bringing something back to life.”

..and others.

Thanks for the verse references. This is how to do referencing in a scholarly manner:
  1. Display and indent the quoted text.
  2. Selectively bold the relevant keywords that are important to the point that you are making. No need to bold the entire sentence. Have a laser-sharp focus.
  3. Be concise and precise to the point. No need to quote the whole chapter.
This is what I do for others who read my posts. It is a standard high-school scholarship. If you practice this, I guarantee you: it will improve your analytical thinking. In any case, no one is required to do it :)

Reactions: TheHC

rwb

Nov 11, 2022
Branson
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
(ASV) Gen 1:20 And God said, "Let the waters swarm with swarms of living creatures (Heb - nephesh), and let birds fly above the earth across the expanse of the heavens."

(ASV) Gen 1:21 So God created the great sea creatures and every living creature (Heb - nephesh) that moves, with which the waters swarm, according to their kinds, and every winged bird according to its kind. And God saw that it was good.

(ASV) Gen 1:24 And God said, "Let the earth bring forth living creatures (Heb - nephesh) according to their kinds--livestock and creeping things and beasts of the earth according to their kinds." And it was so.

(ASV) Gen 2:7 then the LORD God formed the man of dust from the ground and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life, and the man became a living creature (Heb - nephesh) .

(NASB) Gen 2:7 Then the LORD God formed man of dust from the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living being (Heb - nephesh).

(KJV) Gen 2:7 And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul (Heb - nephesh).

You will find in a word search of the OT, the word "soul" is almost universally translated from the Hebrew word "nephesh". In all cases, "soul" means living being. The word "spirit" is, so far as I can find, universally from the Hebrew word "ruach". Again, so far as I can find, "ruach" is reserved for the human being, while "nephesh" is used for both animals and human beings.

Thus the human being is a living being, a living creature, a living soul, with a spirit.

There is a great deal more to be said about all of that, but perhaps that answers you basic question.

Every living breathing creature has a breath of life which is spirit. Without the breath of life there can be no physical life. What differs mankind from animals is that mankind by grace through faith alone are given the Spirit from Christ to have the breath of life through their spirit that returns to God after our body died. Mankind who die without the Spirit of Christ, are no different than the animals that die and return to the dust of the earth, there is no eternal life in heaven promised to any other creatures.

rwb

Nov 11, 2022
Branson
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I agree with JBO, it is difficult to make a distinction between soul of mankind, and spirit in mankind. The way I've come to understand these is that in the beginning God formed man from the dust of the earth, and breathed life, which is spirit into the flesh and man became a living breathing soul. To be a living soul there must be life. That life (soul) is both physical and spirt. The man/woman that dies without the Spirit of Christ, that only those who have been born again possess, are said to be in darkness and silence in the grave. But the spirit with the Spirit of Christ within cannot die, because the life we receive when we are born again is eternal. That's how there can be living souls as spiritual body of Christ in heaven after the physical body of believers die.

JBO

Oct 20, 2023
Prescott, AZ
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Every living breathing creature has a breath of life which is spirit. Without the breath of life there can be no physical life. What differs mankind from animals is that mankind by grace through faith alone are given the Spirit from Christ to have the breath of life through their spirit that returns to God after our body died. Mankind who die without the Spirit of Christ, are no different than the animals that die and return to the dust of the earth, there is no eternal life in heaven promised to any other creatures.

Ecc 12:7 Then shall the dust return to the earth as it was: and the spirit shall return unto God who gave it.

There is no distinction between the saved or the unsaved in that verse. The difference is what does God do with the spirit when it returns to Him.

The breath of life in Genesis 2:7 is not called the spirit.

And no animals are ever said to be eternally condemned as are the unsaved humans.

keithr

Dec 4, 2020
Dorset
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
When the dead are resurrected from the graves in an hour coming, when the last trumpet sounds, we will either be resurrected to eternal life or to condemnation in the lake of fire. None will live again on this earth, because this earth shall be consumed by the fire of God's wrath that shall come down from heaven to burn up the earth and all things on it. Then there will be a new earth when all things shall be made new. Only those who are not resurrected to damnation shall be physically resurrected immortal & incorruptible shall live forevermore with Christ on the new earth.

John 5:28-29 (KJV) Marvel not at this: for the hour is coming, in the which all that are in the graves shall hear his voice, And shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of damnation.
At the time of the resurrection and rapture of the Church, nobody is resurrected "to condemnation in the lake of fire". It is a resurrection of the Church only, and they all are caught up to be forever with Jesus (1 Thessalonians 4:17). The verses you quote are referring to the second resurrection (of non-Christians). The KJV is not the best translation of John 2:29. Instead of "damnation" a better translation is "judgement", e.g.:

WEB:
(29) and will come out; those who have done good, to the resurrection of life; and those who have done evil, to the resurrection of judgment.​
ESV:
(29) and come out, those who have done good to the resurrection of life, and those who have done evil to the resurrection of judgment.​
Darby:
(29) and shall go forth; those that have practised good, to resurrection of life, and those that have done evil, to resurrection of judgment.​
YLT:
(29) and they shall come forth; those who did the good things to a rising again of life, and those who practised the evil things to a rising again of judgment.​

John 5:24 (WEB):
(24) “Most certainly I tell you, he who hears my word, and believes him who sent me, has eternal life, and doesn’t come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.​

This means that Christians will be resurrected (before the 1,000 year reign of Christ, because they reign with Jesus) and have eternal life (their testing and judging being during their life before death), and all others will be resurrected to life on earth and will be judged according to their lives after their resurrection, i.e. how they live during the 1,000 years reign of Christ. It's only at the end of the 1,000 years that they are judged whether or not they are worthy of eternal life. It makes no sense for people to be resurrected to life and then immediately judged if it's already been decided that they will die a second death. It also makes no sense for people to be resurrected at the end of the 1,000 years reign - who are Jesus and the church reigning over and blessing for the 1,000 years if nobody is resurrected at the beginning of the 1,000 years? How are those that have died never having heard of Jesus going to learn the truth if they're only resurrected shortly before being sentenced to death? The 1,000 years reign is the time for blessing and restoring mankind back to the state that Adam had before he sinned - Acts 3:21 (WEB):

(21) whom heaven must receive until the times of restoration of all things, which God spoke long ago by the mouth of his holy prophets.​

In context, Acts 3:19-21 (ESV):
(19) Repent therefore, and turn back, that your sins may be blotted out,​
(20) that times of refreshing may come from the presence of the Lord, and that he may send the Christ appointed for you, Jesus,​
(21) whom heaven must receive until the time for restoring all the things about which God spoke by the mouth of his holy prophets long ago.​

Revelation 20:14-15 (WEB):
(14) Death and Hades were thrown into the lake of fire. This is the second death, the lake of fire.​
(15) If anyone was not found written in the book of life, he was cast into the lake of fire.​

You seem to think that nobody will be found written in the book of life and will have eternal life, but that everyone will suffer the second death, except Christians who are resurrected before the 1,000 years reign. In which case who are the saints living on the earth at the end of the 1,000 years? Revelation 20:7-9 (WEB):

(7) And after the thousand years, Satan will be released from his prison,​
(8) and he will come out to deceive the nations which are in the four corners of the earth, Gog and Magog, to gather them together to the war; the number of whom is as the sand of the sea.​
(9) They went up over the width of the earth, and surrounded the camp of the saints, and the beloved city. Fire came down out of heaven from God and devoured them.​

The "them" at the end of verse 9 is not referring to the saints! The saints are those restored, believing and faithful at the end of the 1,000 years, whereas it is those who have sided with Satan that are killed by fire coming down from heaven (they have evidently failed their test and are judged to be undeserving of life). Then the remaining saints and those who didn't side with Satan are judged, and a very large number will be judged worthy of eternal life - trust that God knows what He's doing and He is able to save many through Christ. :woohoo!:

The whole 1,000 year reign is God patiently working through Jesus to save as many people as possible - it would be a complete waste of time if all dead people have already been judged to be unworthy of eternal life!

JBO

Oct 20, 2023
Prescott, AZ
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
John 5:24 (WEB):
(24) “Most certainly I tell you, he who hears my word, and believes him who sent me, has eternal life, and doesn’t come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.​

This means that Christians will be resurrected (before the 1,000 year reign of Christ, because they reign with Jesus) and have eternal life (their testing and judging being during their life before death), and all others will be resurrected to life on earth and will be judged according to their lives after their resurrection, i.e. how they live during the 1,000 years reign of Christ. It's only at the end of the 1,000 years that they are judged whether or not they are worthy of eternal life. It makes no sense for people to be resurrected to life and then immediately judged if it's already been decided that they will die a second death. It also makes no sense for people to be resurrected at the end of the 1,000 years reign - who are Jesus and the church reigning over and blessing for the 1,000 years if nobody is resurrected at the beginning of the 1,000 years? How are those that have died never having heard of Jesus going to learn the truth if they're only resurrected shortly before being sentenced to death? The 1,000 years reign is the time for blessing and restoring mankind back to the state that Adam had before he sinned - Acts 3:21 (WEB):
John 5:24,25 is a description of regeneration. Jesus says "The hour is coming, and NOW IS...". He is not speaking about the end of the age when Christ returns. In fact that, the end of the age, is what He is talking about in the very next verses, John 5:28-29 when he speaks about "for the hour is coming, in the which all that are in the graves"

Reactions: rwb

DJT_47

Oct 29, 2022
Michigan/Sterling Heights
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Spirit comes from God that enables the soul to become a conscious, living being. There's not a lot in scripture about either and I choose not to speculate, but Gen 2 gives us a clue as to the nature and origin of the spirit. I'll also repost a short post of mine on this subject, but once again, there's not a lot that the scriptures say, so I'll try to be equally as silent. Note that the repost below may contain previous comments or thoughts.

Gen2:7

7And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.

REPOST

First of all, what is the soul? Some equate it with the spirit, but that's not correct. Some think that God gives you a soul which is also not correct.

The bible says you become a living soul; you are not given one as some people erroneously believe. God does not hand-out souls. The bible also states that the soul is not the spirit, also as some erroneously believe, and that they can be divided.The bible says that souls came out of the loins of Jacob. The bible also says that God has a soul.

Here's what the bible says regarding the soul. (Pertinent scriptures)

Gen2:7 KJV

"7And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul."

The interlinear Hebrew says "being" (lenepes) not soul

Exodus 1:5 KJV

"And all the souls that came out of the loins of Jacob were seventy souls: for Joseph was in Egypt already."

Souls are in your loins according to this scripture. Here, the interlinear does say "soul" in Hebrew and not "being". Two different Hebrew words; napes or nepes for souls vs. lenepes

And finally, Hebrews 4:12 KJV

"For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart."

The interlinear Greek is "phyches" for soul and "pneumatos" for spirit

DJT_47

Oct 29, 2022
Michigan/Sterling Heights
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, that is indeed true; however, when speaking of the human being, soul and spirit are used almost interchangeably in both the OT and the NT. That, I assume, is because the human being is a soul with a spirit; and never is there a case where the human being is a soul without a spirit.
I can't agree with your comment regarding there never being a case where the two, spirit and soul, are ever separated. The bible says the body returns to the earth from whence it came and the Spirit returns to God who gave it.

Ecclesiastes 12:7

"Then shall the dust return to the earth as it was: and the spirit shall return unto God who gave it."

So, the living soul when dead, becomes a dead soul, and when the body dies, it becomes dust and returns to the ground and the spirit returns to God. God created Adam, breathed life into him and he became a living soul. God didn't give him a soul, he became one, a living one. Rev also makes reference to souls of the dead Rev 20:4.

And 1 Thessalonians 5:23 says this

"23And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ."

So from the above verse, you can also see that there is a distinction and separation made between the spirit, soul, as well as body.

TheHC

Jun 22, 2021
Columbus
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I appreciate your thoughts, and was wondering about this….

None will live again on this earth, because this earth shall be consumed by the fire of God's wrath that shall come down from heaven to burn up the earth and all things on it.
Doesn’t 2 Peter 310 say the “Heavens will pass away with a terrible noise”, and it’s elements be “burned up with fire”

It seems it is symbolic language… I mean, why destroy the literal Heavens and earth?

What did they do wrong? Nothing.

The only corrupt thing, are wicked people. And their ways of ruling.

And I find that Ephesians 3:10 refers to ruling authorities as “heavens”, and Genesis 11:1 refers to “all the earth” as having ‘one language & one set of words’, which would be people, not the planet.
Then there will be a new earth when all things shall be made new.
So, in accord with the prior explanation, it would be a new ‘society of people.’
The wicked will finally be gone!

Psalms 37:10,11,29; Proverbs 2:21,22; Matthew 5:5.

Have a good day!

Reactions: Aunty Jane

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I appreciate your thoughts, and was wondering about this….

Doesn’t 2 Peter 310 say the “Heavens will pass away with a terrible noise”, and it’s elements be “burned up with fire”

It seems it is symbolic language… I mean, why destroy the literal Heavens and earth?

What did they do wrong? Nothing.

The only corrupt thing, are wicked people. And their ways of ruling.

And I find that Ephesians 3:10 refers to ruling authorities as “heavens”, and Genesis 11:1 refers to “all the earth” as having ‘one language & one set of words’, which would be people, not the planet.

So, in accord with the prior explanation, it would be a new ‘society of people.’
The wicked will finally be gone!

Psalms 37:10,11,29; Proverbs 2:21,22; Matthew 5:5.

Have a good day!
maybe men will destroy the planet and Jesus return is a rescue mission?

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
(ASV) Gen 1:20 And God said, "Let the waters swarm with swarms of living creatures (Heb - nephesh), and let birds fly above the earth across the expanse of the heavens."

(ASV) Gen 1:21 So God created the great sea creatures and every living creature (Heb - nephesh) that moves, with which the waters swarm, according to their kinds, and every winged bird according to its kind. And God saw that it was good.

(ASV) Gen 1:24 And God said, "Let the earth bring forth living creatures (Heb - nephesh) according to their kinds--livestock and creeping things and beasts of the earth according to their kinds." And it was so.

(ASV) Gen 2:7 then the LORD God formed the man of dust from the ground and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life, and the man became a living creature (Heb - nephesh) .

(NASB) Gen 2:7 Then the LORD God formed man of dust from the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living being (Heb - nephesh).

(KJV) Gen 2:7 And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul (Heb - nephesh).

You will find in a word search of the OT, the word "soul" is almost universally translated from the Hebrew word "nephesh". In all cases, "soul" means living being. The word "spirit" is, so far as I can find, universally from the Hebrew word "ruach". Again, so far as I can find, "ruach" is reserved for the human being, while "nephesh" is used for both animals and human beings.

Thus the human being is a living being, a living creature, a living soul, with a spirit.

There is a great deal more to be said about all of that, but perhaps that answers you basic question.
Thank you for these references, so let’s see what we can glean from them....

Firstly, what was the Jewish belief about death from their scripture, (not from the beliefs they adopted over time that changed what they were first taught about death)?
The Hebrew Scriptures were clear about what happens at death...there is no conscious existence that continues when the soul dies. Sheol/hades is the common grave of all of us. (Eccl 9:5-6, 10)

A “soul” cannot live without a body, or the “spirit” (breath) which is the animating force that sustains our life. Adam “became” a “soul” when God gave him the “breath (nᵊšāmâ) of life. This word in Hebrew also means “spirit or breath”.

When breathing stops, the soul dies. This is the same for man and animals. The same spirit animates them as souls too. (Eccl 3:19-20) They breathe the same air and die the same death when breathing stops.

However, the “spirit” (Heb., ruʹach; Gr., pneuʹma) should not be confused with the “soul” (Heb., neʹphesh; Gr., psy·kheʹ), for they refer to different things.
Heb 4:12 speaks of the Word of God as “piercing even to the dividing of soul and spirit, and of joints and their marrow.”....... Joints and marrow are not the same thing...completely different, but connected.

At Phil 1:27 Paul addresses the brothers collectively when he said....”Only behave in a manner worthy of the good news about the Christ, so that whether I come and see you or I am absent, I may hear about you and learn that you are standing firm in one spirit, with one soul, striving side by side for the faith of the good news”.

1 Thess 5:23 says much the same thing, mentioning “spirit, soul and body” in connection with the entire brotherhood.....but individually, the soul (neʹphesh; psy·kheʹ) is the creature itself. The spirit (ruʹach; pneuʹma) generally refers to the life-force of the living creature or soul.

Nothing returns to God except symbolically, because all future life prospects rest with him in the resurrection. For those with “the heavenly calling”, (Heb 3:1) it is God who will restore their lives, giving them a spiritual body in order to exist in a realm outside of the confines of this earth. For those resurrected back to the earth, it will be a restoration of their former life, like the one Jesus gave to his friend Lazarus. (John 11,11-14) A happy reunion with his family resulted. This is what the majority of those in their graves will experience when God’s Kingdom rules. (John 5:28-29)

So “soul” and “spirit” are terms that are not interchangeable because even though they are connected, they mean different things.

rwb

Nov 11, 2022
Branson
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ecc 12:7 Then shall the dust return to the earth as it was: and the spirit shall return unto God who gave it.

There is no distinction between the saved or the unsaved in that verse. The difference is what does God do with the spirit when it returns to Him.

The breath of life in Genesis 2:7 is not called the spirit.

And no animals are ever said to be eternally condemned as are the unsaved humans.
The Breath - Strong's Hebrew Dictionary
5397. נְשָׁמָה neshamah (nᵉshâmâh)

Search for H5397 in KJVSL; in KJV.

נְשָׁמָה nᵉshâmâh, nesh-aw-maw'

from H5395; a puff, i.e. wind, angry or vital breath, divine inspiration, intellect. or (concretely) an animal:—blast, (that) breath(-eth), inspiration, soul, spirit.

of life - Strong's Hebrew Dictionary
2416. חַי chay (chay)

Search for H2416 in KJVSL; in KJV.

חַי chay, khah'-ee

from H2421; alive; hence, raw (flesh); fresh (plant, water, year), strong; also (as noun, especially in the feminine singular and masculine plural) life (or living thing), whether literally or figuratively:— age, alive, appetite, (wild) beast, company, congregation, life(-time), live(-ly), living (creature, thing), maintenance, merry, multitude, (be) old, quick, raw, running, springing, troop.

Genesis 2:7 (KJV) And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.

Man was created with a physical body of flesh & bone, and God breathed into them the breath of life (spirit) and man became a living soul. That's exactly how neshamah chay is defined. To be defined a living soul is to possess LIFE either physical mortal life or eternal spirit life through the Spirit of Christ within.

As I've said the spirit that returns to God, which ALL human spirits do, will either be with or without life. Only the spirit that returns to God through the Spirit of Christ within shall have life in heaven still being a living soul, albeit without physical form. They shall become like the angels of God in heaven, a spiritual body of believers.

Matthew 22:28-32 (KJV) Therefore in the resurrection whose wife shall she be of the seven? for they all had her. Jesus answered and said unto them, Ye do err, not knowing the scriptures, nor the power of God. For in the resurrection they neither marry, nor are given in marriage, but are as the angels of God in heaven. But as touching the resurrection of the dead, have ye not read that which was spoken unto you by God, saying, I am the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob? God is not the God of the dead, but of the living.

Mark 12:24-27 (KJV)
And Jesus answering said unto them, Do ye not therefore err, because ye know not the scriptures, neither the power of God? For when they shall rise from the dead, they neither marry, nor are given in marriage; but are as the angels which are in heaven. And as touching the dead, that they rise: have ye not read in the book of Moses, how in the bush God spake unto him, saying, I am the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob? He is not the God of the dead, but the God of the living: ye therefore do greatly err.

The resurrection in view in this passage is not the physical resurrection that shall not be until an hour coming when the last trumpet sounds. In life when we have part in the first resurrection that is the resurrection life through Christ, we have eternal life through Christ's Spirit that shall never die. We have spiritually entered the Kingdom of God, and physical death cannot take us from His Kingdom. In death the spirit of believers departs from our dead body and returns to God a living soul, and are as the angels of God in heaven. That's why Christ speaks of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob as being alive even though they have long ago died. They died in faith, now the dead are raised, since the advent of Christ, all who believe in Him have already attained eternal life through His Spirit in us.

Luke 20:35-38 (KJV) But they which shall be accounted worthy to obtain that world, and the resurrection from the dead, neither marry, nor are given in marriage: Neither can they die any more: for they are equal unto the angels; and are the children of God, being the children of the resurrection. Now that the dead are raised, even Moses shewed at the bush, when he calleth the Lord the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob. For he is not a God of the dead, but of the living: for all live unto him.

Animals have no hope of obtaining eternal life. They along with everything left alive on earth when Christ comes again are destined to destruction through the fire that shall come down from heaven. Mankind in unbelief at death, like the animals are destined to eternal destruction through the curse of death that came to every living creature upon the earth that has NOT the Spirit of Christ within at death.

keithr

Dec 4, 2020
Dorset
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
John 5:24,25 is a description of regeneration. Jesus says "The hour is coming, and NOW IS...". He is not speaking about the end of the age when Christ returns. In fact that, the end of the age, is what He is talking about in the very next verses, John 5:28-29 when he speaks about "for the hour is coming, in the which all that are in the graves"
John 5:24-25 (WEB):
(25) Most certainly, I tell you, the hour comes, and now is, when the dead will hear the Son of God’s voice; and those who hear will live.​

In verse 24 Jesus is saying that those who believe what Jesus said, and believe in God, effectively have (gained) eternal life; they won't have to go through the judgement time (the future 1,000 year reign of Christ) for they have already been judged worthy (justified by faith). They will still die, and sleep in death until the still future resurrection and rapture of the Church, at which point they will then become immortal and have eternal life. 1 Corinthians 15:54 (WEB):

(54) But when this perishable body will have become imperishable, and this mortal will have put on immortality, then what is written will happen: “Death is swallowed up in victory.”​

In verse 25 Jesus is saying there is a coming time, the second resurrection, when every non-Christian will be resurrected and will learn the full truth about Jesus, and if they then believe (at the end of the 1,000 years) they will have eternal life. He also says, "and now is", because those that hear and believe now (before the second resurrection) will also gain eternal life, reiterating what he had said in the previous verse.

In verse 28 Jesus refers to the coming hour (second resurrection) when everyone left in their tombs/graves will be resurrected.

JBO

Oct 20, 2023
Prescott, AZ
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
John 5:24-25 (WEB):
(25) Most certainly, I tell you, the hour comes, and now is, when the dead will hear the Son of God’s voice; and those who hear will live.​

In verse 24 Jesus is saying that those who believe what Jesus said, and believe in God, effectively have (gained) eternal life; they won't have to go through the judgement time (the future 1,000 year reign of Christ) for they have already been judged worthy (justified by faith). They will still die, and sleep in death until the still future resurrection and rapture of the Church, at which point they will then become immortal and have eternal life. 1 Corinthians 15:54 (WEB):

(54) But when this perishable body will have become imperishable, and this mortal will have put on immortality, then what is written will happen: “Death is swallowed up in victory.”​

In verse 25 Jesus is saying there is a coming time, the second resurrection, when every non-Christian will be resurrected and will learn the full truth about Jesus, and if they then believe (at the end of the 1,000 years) they will have eternal life. He also says, "and now is", because those that hear and believe now (before the second resurrection) will also gain eternal life, reiterating what he had said in the previous verse.

In verse 28 Jesus refers to the coming hour (second resurrection) when everyone left in their tombs/graves will be resurrected.
Verses 24 & 25 speak to the here and now, not some time far into the future. Those verses are, in fact, a statement of regeneration when those who hear and believe are reborn. It is verses 28 & 29 that speak to a time when all will come from the grave in the last days when Jesus returns. In fact that passage, verses 24 through 29 specify two separate resurrections. The first one is a spiritual resurrection which is called born again in John, chapter 3. I believe it is the first resurrection that John refers to in Revelation 20:4. The resurrection in which the participants need not fear the second death. I believe the second resurrection in John 5 is the physical resurrection John refers to in Revelation 20:5 and Paul speaks about in 1 Corinthians 15:54. But that is probably a discussion left for another time.

rwb

Nov 11, 2022
Branson
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
At the time of the resurrection and rapture of the Church, nobody is resurrected "to condemnation in the lake of fire". It is a resurrection of the Church only, and they all are caught up to be forever with Jesus (1 Thessalonians 4:17). The verses you quote are referring to the second resurrection (of non-Christians). The KJV is not the best translation of John 2:29. Instead of "damnation" a better translation is "judgement", e.g.:

I've never read of a "second" resurrection for unbelievers? I've only read from Scripture of the first resurrection which is the resurrection of Christ, for He is the first to be resurrected from the dead to never die again. And Scripture speaks of the physical resurrection for all who are dead in the graves, who in an hour coming when ALL the dead are bodily resurrected, and those at the judgment who have done good resurrected to immortal & incorruptible life, and those who have done evil resurrected to damnation. The bodily resurrection from the graves comes when the last trumpet sounds, and that is when time given this earth shall be no longer.

Each of the following four translations tell us the same thing. ALL of the dead shall be resurrected in the same hour coming either to immortal & incorruptible life or damnation/judgment.

John 5:28-29 (YLT) `Wonder not at this, because there doth come an hour in which all those in the tombs shall hear his voice, and they shall come forth; those who did the good things to a rising again of life, and those who practised the evil things to a rising again of judgment.

John 5:28-29 (WEB)
Don't marvel at this, for the hour comes, in which all that are in the tombs will hear his voice, and will come out; those who have done good, to the resurrection of life; and those who have done evil, to the resurrection of judgment.

John 5:28-29 (ASV) Marvel not at this: for the hour cometh, in which all that are in the tombs shall hear his voice, and shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of judgment.

All of the dead who have done evil and resurrected to condemnation/judgment shall be judged according to what is found written in the books and the book of life. After judgment those who are not found written in the book of life are cast into the lake of fire, that is the second death. John describes what shall be of the dead who in life have done evil, who are not recorded in the book of life.

Revelation 20:11-15 (KJV) And I saw a great white throne, and him that sat on it, from whose face the earth and the heaven fled away; and there was found no place for them. And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works. And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works. And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death. And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.

In the same hour when the last trumpet sounds those who had physically died who have done good in life have an altogether different fate than the dead who were judged by their works, and whose names were not found written in the book of life. The righteous are also resurrected from the dead, but instead of judgment to the second death, they are resurrected and changed to immortal & incorruptible body of flesh, because their names are written in the book of life.

The following passage describes what the bodily resurrection shall be for those who have done good. All whose names are written in the book of life.

1 Corinthians 15:51-54 (KJV) Behold, I shew you a mystery; We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed, In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed. For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality. So when this corruptible shall have put on incorruption, and this mortal shall have put on immortality, then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written, Death is swallowed up in victory.

In the same hour coming, when the last trumpet sounds Christ shall be seen coming again with the clouds. There will still be men/women of faith alive at this time. There will also be coming back with Christ the spiritual body of believers that are alive with Him in heaven after physical death. And those faithful saints still physically alive will be caught up with those resurrected for judgment to meet the Lord in the air. That's when ALL believers shall be clothed with immortal & incorruptible body of flesh, made new again for life with Christ forever on the new earth. Because in life we had partaken of the first resurrection, which is the resurrection life through Christ.

1 Thessalonians 4:14-17 (KJV) For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so them also which sleep in Jesus will God bring with him. For this we say unto you by the word of the Lord, that we which are alive and remain unto the coming of the Lord shall not prevent them which are asleep. For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first: Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord.

Once the last trumpet sounds, which is the seventh trumpet, the spiritual Kingdom of God in heaven that is finally complete will mean there is no longer time for this first earth. The mystery of God is finished, and time for building the Kingdom of God in heaven is no more. Then this earth will have passed away, and John writes of a new heaven and new earth with the holy city, new Jerusalem (which city believers are) that comes down from heaven as a bride adorned for her husband. All former things have passed away, and all things have become new. On the new earth there will be no more tears, no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, no more pain, death, sickness or suffering, and no more evil for death and the grave along with every evil spirit, demon, devil shall be no more.

Revelation 10:5-7 (KJV) And the angel which I saw stand upon the sea and upon the earth lifted up his hand to heaven, And sware by him that liveth for ever and ever, who created heaven, and the things that therein are, and the earth, and the things that therein are, and the sea, and the things which are therein, that there should be time no longer: But in the days of the voice of the seventh angel, when he shall begin to sound, the mystery of God should be finished, as he hath declared to his servants the prophets.

Revelation 21:1-5 (KJV)
And I saw a new heaven and a new earth: for the first heaven and the first earth were passed away; and there was no more sea. And I John saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband. And I heard a great voice out of heaven saying, Behold, the tabernacle of God is with men, and he will dwell with them, and they shall be his people, and God himself shall be with them, and be their God. And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away. And he that sat upon the throne said, Behold, I make all things new. And he said unto me, Write: for these words are true and faithful.
This means that Christians will be resurrected (before the 1,000 year reign of Christ, because they reign with Jesus) and have eternal life (their testing and judging being during their life before death), and all others will be resurrected to life on earth and will be judged according to their lives after their resurrection, i.e. how they live during the 1,000 years reign of Christ. It's only at the end of the 1,000 years that they are judged whether or not they are worthy of eternal life. It makes no sense for people to be resurrected to life and then immediately judged if it's already been decided that they will die a second death. It also makes no sense for people to be resurrected at the end of the 1,000 years reign - who are Jesus and the church reigning over and blessing for the 1,000 years if nobody is resurrected at the beginning of the 1,000 years? How are those that have died never having heard of Jesus going to learn the truth if they're only resurrected shortly before being sentenced to death? The 1,000 years reign is the time for blessing and restoring mankind back to the state that Adam had before he sinned

I don't know where you learned this doctrine, or from whom you may have been taught this, but this doctrine does NOT come from the Bible.