Do unitarians go to hell?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Dcopymope

May 22, 2016
Motor City
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think not! I was a member of the UPC [and similar groups] for about 11 years ending in 1987.

Unitarians do not believe that Jesus was or is God. He was only a man, but specially chosen by God.

The Oneness Jesus Only people [such as the UPC] believe that there is no Trinity, but that Jesus, the Father and the Holy Ghost are all one and the same and only God: We used to sing a song that states it simply:

"Jesus is the name of the Father; Jesus is the name of the Son; Jesus is the name of the Holy Ghost... and all these three are one.

So unitarians believe they are saved in the name and authority of a created being? There are only two types of beings in existence afterall, you are either created, or you aren't. Can a created being stand before the Father as intercessor for the creation?

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So unitarians believe they are saved in the name and authority of a created being?
I don't know. I believe that there are several sects of Unitarians with various beliefs. You should ask a Unitarians or look them up on the Internet.

There are only two types of beings in existence afterall, you are either created, or you aren't.
Nothing seems to be wrong with your logic, but can we find God's Truth by means of logic alone?

Can a created being stand before the Father as intercessor for the creation?

If God were to make it so, then how could we doubt it? Is it impossible for Him?

"But Jesus beheld them, and said unto them, With men this is impossible; but with God all things are possible." Matt 19:26

Reactions: Helen

Dcopymope

May 22, 2016
Motor City
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't know. I believe that there are several sects of Unitarians with various beliefs. You should ask a Unitarians or look them up on the Internet.
Nothing seems to be wrong with your logic, but can we find God's Truth by means of logic alone?

I don't think there is really any 'truth' to be found per se, since the truth that matters has already been written down for us so simply that even a child can understand it.....which is where logic comes into the picture. The holy spirit is technically supposed to bring interpretation, but you still have to have the brains to actually put two and two together in the first place.

If God were to make it so, then how could we doubt it? Is it impossible for Him?

"But Jesus beheld them, and said unto them, With men this is impossible; but with God all things are possible." Matt 19:26

According to scripture, the creation, everything God made, seen and unseen is the being waiting to be redeemed by the creator in the first place. When the Bible says that God alone is what saves, and if Jesus is of the God head, then that makes our redemption through anything else but God impossible.

(Romans 8:19-26) "For the earnest expectation of the creature waiteth for the manifestation of the sons of God. {20} For the creature was made subject to vanity, not willingly, but by reason of him who hath subjected the same in hope, {21} Because the creature itself also shall be delivered from the bondage of corruption into the glorious liberty of the children of God. {22} For we know that the whole creation groaneth and travaileth in pain together until now. {23} And not only they, but ourselves also, which have the firstfruits of the Spirit, even we ourselves groan within ourselves, waiting for the adoption, to wit, the redemption of our body. {24} For we are saved by hope: but hope that is seen is not hope: for what a man seeth, why doth he yet hope for? {25} But if we hope for that we see not, then do we with patience wait for it. {26} Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered."

Do you see how easy it is for the very foundation of unitarians entire belief to be brought into question? Its not hard for me.

Reactions: Armadillo

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't think there is really any 'truth' to be found per se, since the truth that matters has already been written down for us so simply that even a child can understand it.....which is where logic comes into the picture. The holy spirit is technically supposed to bring interpretation, but you still have to have the brains to actually put two and two together in the first place.

Actually Jesus tells us what truth is here:

"Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me." John 14:6

To really know the truth, we must really know Jesus. Just knowing about him or having read the gospels is not necessarily proof that a person knows him. Paul writing may help us to understand about our incomplete understanding here:

"For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known." I Cor 13:12

When is the "then" going to arrive?

According to scripture, the creation, everything God made, seen and unseen is the being waited to be redeemed by the creator in the first place. When the Bible says that God alone is what saves, and if Jesus is of the God head, then that makes our redemption through anything else but God impossible.

No comment on your above statement.

Do you see how easy it is for the very foundation of unititarion entire belief to be brought into question? Its not hard for me.
Never having been a Unitarian, I would not presume to stand for them or against them.

Dcopymope

May 22, 2016
Motor City
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Actually Jesus tells us what truth is here:

"Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me." John 14:6

To really know the truth, we must really know Jesus. Just knowing about him or having read the gospels is not necessarily proof that a person knows him. Paul writing may help us to understand about our incomplete understanding here:

"For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known." I Cor 13:12

When is the "then" going to arrive?

Perhaps with Jesus Christs return will the truth be revealed in full? If the "truth" is sitting right in front of you, then why not can ask him all the questions you want? I know that as of right now, Jesus Christ can't only be a man while being God's only begotten son at the same time. If he's the only begotten, then that excludes anything in creation being begotten, and henceforth voids even the slightest possibility of anything in creation being our savior.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Perhaps with Jesus Christs return will the truth be revealed in full? If the "truth" is sitting right in front of you, then why not can ask him all the questions you want? I know that as of right now, Jesus Christ can't only be a man while being God's only begotten son at the same time. If he's the only begotten, then that excludes anything in creation being begotten, and henceforth voids even the slightest possibility of anything in creation being our savior.
As of now we cannot even know all of the questions. Must we wait then until this is over in order to grow toward both better and more questions along with answers from our Lord?

We are already seeing Jesus in measure or we would not be discussing what we are. By tomorrow, if there is a tomorrow for me, perhaps I will have moved to where I know more questions. I leave you with this verse my friend:

"Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is." I John 3:2

For what reason could He not appear to us now so that we are able to now see Him as He is? Is that not one reason why He wants to build and grow within us so that we can be a fully compatible part of His Body?

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
Brisbane, Qld., Australia
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Good thing it's not your opinion that matters most but thanks for sharing. False doctrine, false teaching, false prophets and you're going to hell gets thrown around on this forum like confetti.

Please deal with the Scriptures I mentioned. I'm dealing with what the Scriptures state about false doctrine, false prophets and false teachers.

tabletalk

Feb 6, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
For what reason could He not appear to us now so that we are able to now see Him as He is?

If you mean see Him face to face as a man, as some on these forums teach...

How about fear of the Lord? Scripture has many warnings of things like: following another Jesus, believing a false gospel, satan disguised as an angel of light, and our own desires and temptations to see, rather than walk by faith, not by sight. We want signs and wonders, miracles. Even tongues, healings, prophesies, etc.
It is enough to hope for the grace he proclaims in 1Peter 1:13
"Therefore gird up the loins of your mind, be sober, and rest your hope fully upon the grace that is to be brought to you at the revelation of Jesus Christ;"

Reactions: Job

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I think not! I was a member of the UPC [and similar groups] for about 11 years ending in 1987.

Unitarians do not believe that Jesus was or is God. He was only a man, but specially chosen by God.

The Oneness Jesus Only people [such as the UPC] believe that there is no Trinity, but that Jesus, the Father and the Holy Ghost are all one and the same and only God: We used to sing a song that states it simply:

"Jesus is the name of the Father; Jesus is the name of the Son; Jesus is the name of the Holy Ghost... and all these three are one.

amadeus,

The UPCI's statement of its belief in God is:

An Appreciation of God’s Identity
The beautiful message of Scripture is that our Creator became our Savior. The God against whom we sinned is the One who forgives us. God loved us so much that He came in flesh to save us. He gave of Himself; He did not send someone else. Moreover, our Creator-Savior is also the indwelling Spirit who is ever-present to help us. God told us how to live and then came to live among us. He showed us how to live in the flesh and laid down His human life to purchase our salvation. Now He abides within us and enables us to live according to His will.

Jesus Christ is the one God incarnate, and in Him we have everything we need: healing, deliverance, victory, and salvation (Colossians 2:9-10). By recognizing the almighty God in Jesus Christ, we restore correct biblical belief and experience apostolic power (About Oneness Pentecostalism, UPCI).​

Therefore, the United Pentecostal Church International's view of God is that,
  • God came in the flesh to save us;
  • God did not send Jesus ('someone else);
  • The Creator-Savior (God) is the indwelling Spirit.
Therefore God operates in three modes - the Father, Son and Holy Spirit. The Trinity does not involve the functioning of 3 persons in the one Godhead. Oneness Pentecostalism is a repeat of the heresy in the early church called Modalism and Sabellianism.

Who is a Unitarian?

Its roots lie in the Reformation of 16th-century Europe. At that time Protestant Christians claimed the right to read the Bible in their own languages and to interpret it for themselves.

Some who did so found that it spoke of one God, without qualification. This did not square with the orthodox Christian doctrine of the Trinity, which says that God consists of three "persons". Because these people believed God to be a "unity" rather than a "trinity" they became known as "Unitarians" (Where does the word Unitarian come from? The Unitarians).​

Therefore, the UPCI believes in one God, who manifests in 3 modes, Father, Son & Holy Spirit, and does not believe in the persons of the Trinity. The Unitarians believe in one God and not in the Trinity. So there is a core similarity between Oneness Pentecostals and Unitarians. They both believe in one God - thus being unitarians - and are heretical when compared with the defence of the Trinity in Scripture. See my article, Is the Trinity taught in the Bible?

Blessings,
Oz

Lucian Hodoboc

Jul 17, 2017
Craiova
Faith
Christian
Country
Romania
Lucian,

John Piper has what I think is an excellent explanation for your question:

Would someone need to believe in the Trinity to be saved?

They certainly wouldn't have to know that word, and they wouldn't have to be able to articulate it very well. But, what they need to do is not deny essential things about it.

So a person may never hear of such a thing as a "trinity" and be saved. But if you asked them, "The Jesus you are believing in, is he divine or is he just a man?" If they said he is not divine, then I think that is a major problem.

I don't think a person has to even hear about the Holy Spirit to be saved. Is that radical? I don't think so.

Now, if you get taught about the Holy Spirit and what he has done for you and then you say, "I don't think it took the Holy Spirit to save me," well, then I'm going to question your salvation. But goodness! I just spent five minutes unpacking the gospel and didn't mention the Holy Spirit at all! And that isn't because he is not essential. We would never believe without him. But knowing the details about how God caused you to believe is not essential. Yet, denying it once it has been made known to you—that would undermine essential things (source).​

So he considers that a person may not know the name of the Trinity to be saved, but as one grows in the faith, if he denies the persons of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit in giving salvation, that person's salvation would be questioned or doubted.

Oz
That's a very long way of saying: 'yes, unitarians do go to hell'.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
amadeus,

The UPCI's statement of its belief in God is:

An Appreciation of God’s Identity
The beautiful message of Scripture is that our Creator became our Savior. The God against whom we sinned is the One who forgives us. God loved us so much that He came in flesh to save us. He gave of Himself; He did not send someone else. Moreover, our Creator-Savior is also the indwelling Spirit who is ever-present to help us. God told us how to live and then came to live among us. He showed us how to live in the flesh and laid down His human life to purchase our salvation. Now He abides within us and enables us to live according to His will.

Jesus Christ is the one God incarnate, and in Him we have everything we need: healing, deliverance, victory, and salvation (Colossians 2:9-10). By recognizing the almighty God in Jesus Christ, we restore correct biblical belief and experience apostolic power (About Oneness Pentecostalism, UPCI).​

Therefore, the United Pentecostal Church International's view of God is that,
  • God came in the flesh to save us;
  • God did not send Jesus ('someone else);
  • The Creator-Savior (God) is the indwelling Spirit.
Therefore God operates in three modes - the Father, Son and Holy Spirit. The Trinity does not involve the functioning of 3 persons in the one Godhead. Oneness Pentecostalism is a repeat of the heresy in the early church called Modalism and Sabellianism.

Who is a Unitarian?

Its roots lie in the Reformation of 16th-century Europe. At that time Protestant Christians claimed the right to read the Bible in their own languages and to interpret it for themselves.

Some who did so found that it spoke of one God, without qualification. This did not square with the orthodox Christian doctrine of the Trinity, which says that God consists of three "persons". Because these people believed God to be a "unity" rather than a "trinity" they became known as "Unitarians" (Where does the word Unitarian come from? The Unitarians).​

Therefore, the UPCI believes in one God, who manifests in 3 modes, Father, Son & Holy Spirit, and does not believe in the persons of the Trinity. The Unitarians believe in one God and not in the Trinity. So there is a core similarity between Oneness Pentecostals and Unitarians. They both believe in one God - thus being unitarians - and are heretical when compared with the defence of the Trinity in Scripture. See my article, Is the Trinity taught in the Bible?

Blessings,
Oz
And blessings to you my friend! I am not in either place, so I am moving on...with God as He is. So where am I?

I am in a growing mode where everyone who has not all the knowledge of God, I believe, should be. He continues to increase withing, while I continue to decrease:

"He must increase, but I must decrease." John 3:30

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you mean see Him face to face as a man, as some on these forums teach...
I mean to see Him as He is. How is that? When we are like Him will we not know?

"Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is." I John 3:2

How about fear of the Lord? Scripture has many warnings of things like: following another Jesus, believing a false gospel, satan disguised as an angel of light, and our own desires and temptations to see, rather than walk by faith, not by sight. We want signs and wonders, miracles. Even tongues, healings, prophesies, etc.
It is enough to hope for the grace he proclaims in 1Peter 1:13
"Therefore gird up the loins of your mind, be sober, and rest your hope fully upon the grace that is to be brought to you at the revelation of Jesus Christ;"

My dear friend and brother, what is it that I seek? Each morning for many years now I have spent in reading scripture and in talking to our Lord. He has answered many questions that I did not even ask. I have grown and while no longer a babe, neither have I arrived yet to the end of my course.

The "fear of the Lord" is the beginning of knowledge and of wisdom. All of us must pass through in order to receive an ever clearer vision. Without that vision we perish.

Another Jesus? We are moving toward this Jesus, who is the Son of God. Will we not also be moved from servant and steward also to sons of the Most High?

Give God the glory!

Armadillo

Aug 11, 2017
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Please deal with the Scriptures I mentioned. I'm dealing with what the Scriptures state about false doctrine, false prophets and false teachers.

You didn't deal specifically with the parts written in the post that you disagreed with. All you did was throw a bunch of verses at me, like stones, to accuse me with.

1 John 4:1-6

Dear friends, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, because many false prophets have gone out into the world. 2 This is how you can recognize the Spirit of God: Every spirit that acknowledges that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is from God, 3 but every spirit that does not acknowledge Jesus is not from God. This is the spirit of the antichrist, which you have heard is coming and even now is already in the world.

4 You, dear children, are from God and have overcome them, because the one who is in you is greater than the one who is in the world. 5 They are from the world and therefore speak from the viewpoint of the world, and the world listens to them. 6 We are from God, and whoever knows God listens to us; but whoever is not from God does not listen to us. This is how we recognize the Spirit of truth and the spirit of falsehood.

How do you know you are OF God and not a false teacher full of false doctrine?

Confession and acknowledgment. Confessing Jesus Christ has come in the flesh and is the Son of God and acknowledging Jesus, the Cross and His finished work, verses 2 and 3.

How do you know if you are being taught by a false prophet?

Any doctrine you hear or read that teaches and implies that Jesus Christ did not accomplish all at the Cross and His work is not really finished, there's still work left to do by us and we have to finish it, is a false gospel.

1 Corinthians 1:23 John 17:4

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
You didn't deal specifically with the parts written in the post that you disagreed with. All you did was throw a bunch of verses at me, like stones, to accuse me with.

1 John 4:1-6

Dear friends, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, because many false prophets have gone out into the world. 2 This is how you can recognize the Spirit of God: Every spirit that acknowledges that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is from God, 3 but every spirit that does not acknowledge Jesus is not from God. This is the spirit of the antichrist, which you have heard is coming and even now is already in the world.

4 You, dear children, are from God and have overcome them, because the one who is in you is greater than the one who is in the world. 5 They are from the world and therefore speak from the viewpoint of the world, and the world listens to them. 6 We are from God, and whoever knows God listens to us; but whoever is not from God does not listen to us. This is how we recognize the Spirit of truth and the spirit of falsehood.

How do you know you are OF God and not a false teacher full of false doctrine?

Confession and acknowledgment. Confessing Jesus Christ has come in the flesh and is the Son of God and acknowledging Jesus, the Cross and His finished work, verses 2 and 3.

How do you know if you are being taught by a false prophet?

Any doctrine you hear or read that teaches and implies that Jesus Christ did not accomplish all at the Cross and His work is not really finished, there's still work left to do by us and we have to finish it, is a false gospel.

1 Corinthians 1:23 John 17:4

Armadillo,

In 1 John 4:2-3. John was addressing a dominant heresy of the first century that continued into the second century. The heresy was Gnosticism that included the belief that Jesus did not come in the flesh.

This heresy claimed that the physical, material world is bad and the spirit world is good. Therefore, Jesus could not have come in the flesh as a human being.

How did John refute that?

2 This is how you can recognize the Spirit of God: Every spirit that acknowledges that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is from God, 3 but every spirit that does not acknowledge Jesus is not from God. This is the spirit of the antichrist, which you have heard is coming and even now is already in the world.​

Oz

blinkin1604

Sep 18, 2017
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
If they never believed that Jesus is God Almighty, then they would go to hell and die in their sins as Jesus said.

John 8:24 (KJV) I said therefore unto you, that ye shall die in your sins: for if ye believe not that I am he, ye shall die in your sins.

Isaiah 43:10-13 (KJV) Ye are my witnesses, saith the LORD, and my servant whom I have chosen: that ye may know and believe me, and understand that I am he: before me there was no God formed, neither shall there be after me. I, even I, am the LORD; and beside me there is no saviour. I have declared, and have saved, and I have shewed, when there was no strange god among you: therefore ye are my witnesses, saith the LORD, that I am God. Yea, before the day was I am he; and there is none that can deliver out of my hand: I will work, and who shall let it?

Reactions: tabletalk

breathofdesire

Sep 12, 2017
Queensland
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Do unitarian Christians who worship only The Father and consider Jesus to be the Messiah, inspired by God, but not part of a Trinity, go to hell? Can you pray only to The Father and still have a chance to be saved?
If they have the knowledge afforded to them that Jesus is the correct path to the one God, who is the father. But they flat out deny that truth, then I guess they are playing a dicey game with their salvation.

However if someone is naive and unaware of this truth, because of certain circumstances out of their control. Then I believe our Lord will show them mercy for their ignorance.

KBCid

Dec 22, 2011
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
They both believe in one God - thus being unitarians - and are heretical when compared with the defence of the Trinity in Scripture. See my article, Is the Trinity taught in the Bible?
Blessings, Oz

If God wanted their image to be viewed as a trinity by their creation then why did they declare that their image was to be represented as two?

Gen 1:26 And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth. 27So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.

Matt 19:4 And he answered and said unto them, Have ye not read, that he which made them at the beginning made them male and female, 5And said, For this cause shall a man leave father and mother, and shall cleave to his wife: and they twain shall be one flesh?

As Christ has stated in the above verse the two beings (who God stated was a representative of their image) that they created in the beginning were to be considered one and he shows that same representation between himself and the Father in his own words here;

John 10:30 I and my Father are one.

God could certainly have created Three beings to represent their image in the beginning and they could have said that the three shall be one but they did not. Christ could also have said through John that "I and my Father and Holy spirit are one" but he does not.

Who is man to change the image that God has declared is representative of themselves into something else?

John 17:21 That they all may be one; as thou, Father, art in me, and I in thee, that they also may be one in us

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
If God wanted their image to be viewed as a trinity by their creation then why did they declare that their image was to be represented as two?

Gen 1:26 And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth. 27So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.

Matt 19:4 And he answered and said unto them, Have ye not read, that he which made them at the beginning made them male and female, 5And said, For this cause shall a man leave father and mother, and shall cleave to his wife: and they twain shall be one flesh?

As Christ has stated in the above verse the two beings (who God stated was a representative of their image) that they created in the beginning were to be considered one and he shows that same representation between himself and the Father in his own words here;

John 10:30 I and my Father are one.

God could certainly have created Three beings to represent their image in the beginning and they could have said that the three shall be one but they did not. Christ could also have said through John that "I and my Father and Holy spirit are one" but he does not.

Who is man to change the image that God has declared is representative of themselves into something else?

John 17:21 That they all may be one; as thou, Father, art in me, and I in thee, that they also may be one in us

:D I am watching this thread as it unfolds....good 'arguments' here...I must say I had never ever thought how you showed it in your post.
Bless you...H

KBCid

Dec 22, 2011
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
:D I am watching this thread as it unfolds....good 'arguments' here...I must say I had never ever thought how you showed it in your post.
Bless you...H

ByGrace there is much that the helper seeks to reveal and correct in the minds of men....
"Thou shalt live by every word of the mouth of God" and according to Christ;

John 5:19Then answered Jesus and said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, The Son can do nothing of himself, but what he seeth the Father do: for what things soever he doeth, these also doeth the Son likewise. 20For the Father loveth the Son, and sheweth him all things that himself doeth: and he will shew him greater works than these, that ye may marvel. 21For as the Father raiseth up the dead, and quickeneth them; even so the Son quickeneth whom he will. 22For the Father judgeth no man, but hath committed all judgment unto the Son: 23That all men should honour the Son, even as they honour the Father. He that honoureth not the Son honoureth not the Father which hath sent him.

Notice that Christ does not mention the Holy spirit being honored? According to Christ there are only two that all men should honor. If you honor 3 beings then you would not be following Christ's commandment.