Do you pray in tongues?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Addressing the OP only.

what about praying "without" a tongue.

"The Priest Eli mistook Hannah prayer"

1 Samuel 1:9 "So Hannah rose up after they had eaten in Shiloh, and after they had drunk. Now Eli the priest sat upon a seat by a post of the temple of the LORD.

1 Samuel 1:10 "And she was in bitterness of soul, and prayed unto the LORD, and wept sore.

1 Samuel 1:11 "And she vowed a vow, and said, O LORD of hosts, if thou wilt indeed look on the affliction of thine handmaid, and remember me, and not forget thine handmaid, but wilt give unto thine handmaid a man child, then I will give him unto the LORD all the days of his life, and there shall no razor come upon his head.

1 Samuel 1:12 "And it came to pass, as she continued praying before the LORD, that Eli marked her mouth.

1 Samuel 1:13 "Now Hannah, she spake in her heart; only her lips moved, but her voice was not heard: therefore Eli thought she had been drunken.

1 Samuel 1:14 "And Eli said unto her, How long wilt thou be drunken? put away thy wine from thee.

1 Samuel 1:15 "And Hannah answered and said, No, my lord, I am a woman of a sorrowful spirit: I have drunk neither wine nor strong drink, but have poured out my soul before the LORD.

PCY.

Reactions: amadeus

Triumph1300

Jan 11, 2018
Northern British Columbia, Canada
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
But, I guess in this day and age the congregation would be unable to judge.
1) out of practice
2) they couldn't discern a rice pudding these days. :(

But they bake good cookies and love their food.... Just kidding. :)

I think most are not baptized with the Holy Spirit.
Most don't speak in tongues.
There's hardly any preaching on it.

Reactions: Helen

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Loud outspoken messages in the churches I attended have always been followed by an interpretation.
I have heard people pray softly in tongues, just by themselves. I do the same.

I fully agree with this practice. I sometimes utter tongues softly myself. I have also been guilty of absolutely letting go very loudly, but it was when virtually the entire congregation was caught up in the Spirit, so I feel like that might be an extenuating circumstance. I need to post my own answer to the OP, btw. Still haven't done that yet!
My wife often has an interpretation.

That's a tremendous blessing. And I think I should also correct myself somewhat now. When I stated that "interpretation" was akin to revelation, I'm suddenly realizing that both the tongue interpretation and the "revelations" mentioned in 1 Corinthians 14:26-31 may be more closely akin to word of knowledge, now that I think about it. I was associating both with dream and vision interpretation, which may be different matter entirely.

Last edited:

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Thank you, Helen. I'll wait and see what Josho says before bothering him about it. Maybe someone knows for sure without having to.
Not 100% sure on that one, I think it might be alright though so long as its not advertising.

Reactions: Helen

Frank Lee

Feb 23, 2017
Ouachita Mountains
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Praise God for Jimmy Swaggert. He's the only one preaching the baptism of the Holy Spirit for the past forty years. After scanning TV preachers for years I never hear others giving the rest of the story.

Denominations against God's gift with gifts are at least as anti gospel as the powers in Rome. As brother Jude referred to them "having NOT the spirit".

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sad story.

Indeed it's a sad story. And I expected this. I read a book about five years ago by the religion editor for the Washington Times called Quitting Church, about how most of the people who came out of the Jesus Movement era, when Pentecostalism was still alive and vibrant, can no longer tolerate what they see happening in the churches now. It was an excellent read, and pointed out how it's really the same story everywhere; it's just a matter of the degree and speed of the decline.

But the good news is that God is going raise up a remnant, and I believe that may be starting sooner than I once thought; a remnant that will move in the powers of the age to come. I think even those from groups like the one on this thread may actually become a part of that remnant, and I say that as one who does not easily get swept up in hype. How quickly things move is still the question, though.

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
We watch him every sunday morning at 8;00 am on my computer hooked up to a big screen. 80+ years old and still going strong. We also watch Frances And Friends daily program.

I like how he has passed it from generation to generation, 3 generations preaching the powerful Message of The Cross.

Reactions: Triumph1300

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have heard about one PAOC church where the pastor wants to see a prophesy "on paper before the service".
I guess he wants to check it out before it's spoken.

A Ha Ha! Sounds like somebody was a little nervous, LoL.
There's hardly any preaching on it.

Exactly. They don't preach it.

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
He's the only one preaching the baptism of the Holy Spirit for the past forty years.

I've noticed that as well. I have to confess, I'm not completely sold on the message of the cross as he presents it (for another thread someday maybe), but I am thankful for someone out there still preaching the baptism in the Holy Spirit. It's almost like watching the last of the dinosaurs or something! :eek:

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Denominations against God's gift with gifts are at least as anti gospel as the powers in Rome. As brother Jude referred to them "having NOT the spirit".

Indeed. The full verse is "soulish men, not having the Spirit." That's all that's left if the Spirit does not reign over a congregation or denomination: Soulishness.

Reactions: amadeus

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not 100% sure on that one, I think it might be alright though so long as its not advertising.

Ok. I'm sort of waiting on the Lord for posting on that topic anyway. It's depressing. But I'll probably just create a whole new thread for it and transfer the material piece by piece when it's time. *thumbs up*

Reactions: Josho and Helen

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The worship there is great too. And Yes @Frank Lee Praise God for them. :)

Swaggert's worship has always been top notch. Extremely professional and well done, no matter who he has on the platform. It's remarkable. My tastes are different, but I recognize true professionalism when I see it, and it is astonishingly consistent. It's always been that way with them.

Reactions: Josho

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Indeed it's a sad story. And I expected this. I read a book about five years ago by the religion editor for the Washington Times called Quitting Church, about how most of the people who came out of the Jesus Movement era, when Pentecostalism was still alive and vibrant, can no longer tolerate what they see happening in the churches now. It was an excellent read, and pointed out how it's really the same story everywhere; it's just a matter of the degree and speed of the decline.

But the good news is that God is going raise up a remnant, and I believe that may be starting sooner than I once thought; a remnant that will move in the powers of the age to come. I think even those from groups like the one on this thread may actually become a part of that remnant, and I say that as one who does not easily get swept up in hype. How quickly things move is still the question, though.

Amen! I thought that needed a bit more than just a "like". :)

Frank Lee

Feb 23, 2017
Ouachita Mountains
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I want to SHOUT HALLELUJAH to the Lord for coming and saving me and baptizing me outside of church or denominational walls. Before I sat in front of the good doctor in the first church of unbelief who would tell me that God no longer does these things, they are no longer needed (figure that one) they are are from the debil, that which is perfect is come and they are not needed, they have passed away... And on and on. Their collective feet are stuck in the trap of ;...

1 Corinthians 2:14 KJVS
But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them , because they are spiritually discerned.

Berean Study Bible
1 Corinthians 2:14 KJVS
The natural man does not accept the things that come from the Spirit of God. For they are foolishness to him, and he cannot understand them, because they are spiritually discerned.

The natural man trying to comprehend the spiritual gifts of God is akin to a skin clad cave dweller staggering out of a cave with his knuckles dragging the ground and seeing an interstate highway filled with racing cars.

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Amen! I thought that needed a bit more than just a "like". :)

I find myself wanting to do that too! Well, there's always posting pics... in a moment of desperation!

funny+pictures+of+animals+smiling+%2824%29.jpg

Reactions: Frank Lee and Helen

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The natural man trying to comprehend the spiritual gifts of God is akin to a skin clad cave dweller staggering out of a cave with his knuckles dragging the ground and seeing an interstate highway filled with racing cars.

LoL.

You know, what I think may happen is that along with the gifts showing up in greater manifestation, there is going to come a far greater anointing to chastise the errors of Cessationism and those who champion it. I was debating with one about a week ago, and while I'm normally fairly reserved, I went after this guy mercilessly. I can't tell if it was a little too much caffeine or the anointing or both, LoL, but I really laid into him with scripture. It was brutal.

But I do think the Spirit is going to chastise the errors of falsehood in ways we haven't seen before, and this has to come. How else will the church ever be transformed into a glorious church without spot or wrinkle unless the glory fills His house again?