Does anyone here know why God changed Abram's name to Abraham?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Cause later he wouldn't let Jews eat ham. Abram and abraham were before the law. It was a good idea to eat ham before it became a sin.

Let us not forget what the wise prophet Homer Simpson said to his daughter:

Lisa said that bacon, pork chops, bbq and ham all came from one animal... "Sure.... One magical animal!"

Sorry. Ain't got a serious response.

B

Butterfly

Names were very important , they always meant something. Abraham's name changed after the promise of a child had been fulfilled, it was a new chapter and also a time when God made a new covenant with Abraham. Names were very much linked to identity - they both had a new identity when Isaac was born - symbolic maybe of the birth of Israel.
Abraham means ' father of many '
Sarah means ' mother of nations '
Butterfly

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
www.CheeseburgersWithGod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thanks..let's see what you have to say.
I suppose there are two things behind the name "Abraham", the general meaning: "Father of a multitude."

But also the name "Abram", meaning "Exalted father", and then just what was added to make the name "Abraham": "Ha", an expression of "glory over an enemies' misfortune."

Checkmate - foretold by God!

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God added the Spirit to Abram and Sarai: making their new spiritual names Abraham and Sarah.

I heard it from a pastor that studies the language and meaning.

"Yahweh -
hebrew-small-yahweh.jpg

We will see that God took one "hey" from the middle of His name and placed it in the middle of Abram's name. We also see the same for the "hey" on the end of His name, with which He did the same with Sari, thus making her name Sarah.

Abram +
hebrew-letter-small-hey.jpg
= Abr
am or Abraham

Sari +
= Sar
or Sarah

Now we see the "Spirit" of God in the mother and in the father of God's people. As the Torah says, "God is your mother and your father."

We see the greater purpose of the name change. It was to "establish" God's covenant which would later be revealed in Yeshua.

"Neither shall thy name any more be called Abram, but thy name shall be Abraham; for a father of many nations have I made thee." (Gen 17:5)"And I will establish my covenant between me and thee and thy seed after thee in their generations for an everlasting covenant, to be a God unto thee, and to thy seed after thee." (Gen 17:7) "

Last edited:

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
GINOLJC, to all. not saying any is right or wrong, and I agree, the Father of many nation have to come from ONE SEED, not seed(s) as in many but one. so by FAITH his name was change. and FHII, pass those BBQ ribs on down, thanks.... :D.
PCY.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
"...The same transition between locality and universality is reflected in the names Abram and Abraham, which are both based on the root אבר ('abar), meaning to be strong (or to be able to protect; see below). The name Abram consists of the root plus ם, which could be construed as the masculine third person plural pronominal suffix: their. The name Abraham consists of the same root but now followed by the independent masculine third person plural personal pronoun: הם, they or them. Like Sarai, the name Abram seems to denote a nation's private strength, whereas the name Abraham, like Sarah, reflects the strength that arises from synchronicity among states.

The core of the name Abraham comes from the exquisite root אבר ('br):..."
http://www.abarim-publications.com/Meaning/Abraham.html#.Wmdx_qinGUk

i post this bc the root is debated among scholars, i guess

theQuestion

Oct 30, 2017
seattle
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Abram means "High Father"
Abraham means "Father/Leader of many"

God used the new name as a Prophecy about His servant.

tooldtocare

Jan 24, 2014
far side of the moon
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Since this group really good at this stuff--
King James Bible
And he said, Thy name shall be called no more Jacob, but Israel: for as a prince hast thou power with God and with men, and hast prevailed.

Why was Jacob's name changed to Israel?