Does God create Evil?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
7 I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the Lord do all these things. Isa 45:7

Forming light, and preparing darkness, Making peace, and preparing evil, I am Jehovah, doing all these things.' Isa 45:7 (YLT)

I form the light, and create darkness. I make peace, and create calamity. I am Yahweh, who does all these things. Isa 45:7 (WEB)

Hello to you,

Someone ask a good question Does God create evil?

This is my explanation of how it is a yes to the question. You may see differently, and please feel free to share why after considering my explanation.

Yes, by being who he is. People do not like that he is holy and righteous, thus He can create evil by his presence.

God being within the body of Jesus by the Holy Spirit of God created evil motives and agendas in how the people of that day would try to kill Jesus.

Also in absence of his presence for those who wander in darkness and where evil resides in the heart of the individual.

An example here; though Judas was around Jesus for 3 years and was very much part of the Gospel and leading to the turn over to Christ. It seems that the non desire to desire Christ and instead taken 30 silver instead sounded much better than being with and doing what he desired to be done. Lead to the man shrouded in darkness and guilt in which he decided to take his own life.

This is how I’ve been explained how to understand pertaining to does God create evil. He himself is not evil, nor darkness residing with him, nor does he sift a shadow. God is good, and God is love, God is spirit.

In Christ;

Matthew Gallagher

Please share your own thoughts, if you would like.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
7 I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the Lord do all these things. Isa 45:7

Forming light, and preparing darkness, Making peace, and preparing evil, I am Jehovah, doing all these things.' Isa 45:7 (YLT)

I form the light, and create darkness. I make peace, and create calamity. I am Yahweh, who does all these things. Isa 45:7 (WEB)

Hello to you,

Someone ask a good question Does God create evil?

This is my explanation of how it is a yes to the question. You may see differently, and please feel free to share why after considering my explanation.

Yes, by being who he is. People do not like that he is holy and righteous, thus He can create evil by his presence.

God being within the body of Jesus by the Holy Spirit of God created evil motives and agendas in how the people of that day would try to kill Jesus.

Also in absence of his presence for those who wander in darkness and where evil resides in the heart of the individual.

An example here; though Judas was around Jesus for 3 years and was very much part of the Gospel and leading to the turn over to Christ. It seems that the non desire to desire Christ and instead taken 30 silver instead sounded much better than being with and doing what he desired to be done. Lead to the man shrouded in darkness and guilt in which he decided to take his own life.

This is how I’ve been explained how to understand pertaining to does God create evil. He himself is not evil, nor darkness residing with him, nor does he sift a shadow. God is good, and God is love, God is spirit.

In Christ;

Matthew Gallagher

Please share your own thoughts, if you would like.
God made evil possible by giving Adam and Eve one "no no".

"But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die." Gen 2:17

That was "free will", the ability to obey God or not! Before they disobeyed God evil was only a possibility. When they disobeyed Him, it became a reality! To choose to go our way instead of God's Way is evil when we do it.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Amadeus,

Thank you for commenting and point that out, for all to see. A question for you would be, did you ever have trouble understanding the scripture used in the original post, through your seeking and searching for God?

in Christ;
Matthew Gallagher

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Amadeus,

Thank you for commenting and point that out, for all to see. A question for you would be, did you ever have trouble understanding the scripture used in the original post, through your seeking and searching for God?

in Christ;
Matthew Gallagher
Very early in my walk with God I did not have some answers that I do have today. However today I doubtless have more unanswered questions that I had before I had any real understanding of God and the things of God.

On the point of the OP, however, I cannot recall ever having a personal crisis on it. Did I understand it when I first read it? Probably not, but I honestly do not remember. I learned many years ago to put things not presently understood up on a shelf for later.

Faith is the substance of things hoped for and the evidence of things not seen. We believe and obey God even when and if we do not understand. That is faith!

In His time for His reasons, God may eventually give us the understanding of one of those shelfed questions. The only one really of concern in this moment, is what and toward where is our next step? Sometimes God may give us advance notice, but we should not expect it.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Does God create Evil?
I'm sure Lucifer would be most pleased for people to believe this. He could hide his shenanigans in full view and God gets the blame.

The Hebrews believed God made both good and evil , subsequently they wrote as they wrote; they however were in error which Jesus clarified. We have this benefit of Jesus's input along with that of his his mates who declare unequivocally, 'God is light and in him is no darkness at all'.....or, has the impact, the implication, the mind bogging idea/event of the humiliation of our creator in the incarnation, in his death totally passed us by?

Do we bandy around these words and concepts as if they were a mathematical formula for making cheese?

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello Barney,

What makes you say those things for?

in Christ,
Matthew Gallagher

Reactions: BarneyFife

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello quietthinker,

The scripture is in the original post that is being talked about. What are your thoughts about that scripture? This topic is not really about the subject Lucifer, but rather on the subject of Does God Create Evil.

In Christ,
Matthew Gallagher

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Hello quietthinker,

The scripture is in the original post that is being talked about. What are your thoughts about that scripture? This topic is not really about the subject Lucifer, but rather on the subject of Does God Create Evil.

In Christ,
Matthew Gallagher
God does not create evil Matthew.....that is easily deducted from my post.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Very early in my walk with God I did not have some answers that I do have today. However today I doubtless have more unanswered questions that I had before I had any real understanding of God and the things of God.

On the point of the OP, however, I cannot recall ever having a personal crisis on it. Did I understand it when I first read it? Probably not, but I honestly do not remember. I learned many years ago to put things not presently understood up on a shelf for later.

Faith is the substance of things hoped for and the evidence of things not seen. We believe and obey God even when and if we do not understand. That is faith!

In His time for His reasons, God may eventually give us the understanding of one of those shelfed questions. The only one really of concern in this moment, is what and toward where is our next step? Sometimes God may give us advance notice, but we should not expect it.

You are right about putting some things up on the shelf and thinking about them later. It’s like the good soil that comes out that has God giving you the increase.

Reactions: amadeus

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello quietthinker,

You are right. God has no darkness in him at all. God is good. God is love. God is light. God is a consuming fire. God is spirit.

Gods presence can stir evil up.
Gods absence can leave a person in dark and blind. (Choice - against not believing, being in darkness in absence of light).

(Though God very much desires for all to come to the light of all mankind Jesus)

Where the light resides is love, life, and spiritual living.
Where the darkness resides there is evil, and all types of hatred, greed, deception.

Would you add anything to this?

Thank you for commenting,
In Christ
Matthew Gallagher

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You are right about putting some things up on the shelf and thinking about them later. It’s like the good soil that comes out that has God giving you the increase.
In the interim...?

"... Break up your fallow ground, and sow not among thorns" Jerem 4:3

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Jesus is the final word on the reality of God isn't he?
Men, even though guided by the Spirit to write are not automatons, they write from their cultural perspective just as you do....and errors are made

You Matthew certainly don't write from the perspective of an Australian aborigine or of a Tibetan national. Keep that in mind when you read the OT written by Hebrews several millennia ago.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Barney,

when it also comes to hardening hearts, I’m reminded of Pharaoh.

I believe that because of the Pharaoh didn’t believe in God at all, and had idol gods he worshiped. I believe because of Pharaoh having a hard heart and desiring it to be that way I believe, God (hardened Pharaohs heart), because Pharaoh desired to be hard against God by rejecting That the children of Israel would not be released from Pharaohs Rule.

In Christ,
Matthew Gallagher

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Barney when it also comes to hardening hearts, I’m reminded of Pharaoh.

I believe that because of the Pharaoh didn’t believe in God at all, and had idol gods he worshiped. I believe because of Pharaoh having a hard heart and desiring it to be that way I believe, God (hardened Pharaohs heart), because Pharaoh desired to be hard against God by rejecting That the children of Israel would not be released from Pharaohs Rule.

In Christ,
Matthew Gallagher
The language used as in 'God hardening Pharaohs heart' is Hebrew idiom.....which does us well to learn about/understand.
If we don't, spinning off into all sorts of weird and wonderful conclusions becomes inevitable.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello Quietthinker,

To me the Bible is the only book on earth that was inspired by God. It’s important to grow and read the truths about God and pertaining to his Son Jesus Christ. Jesus said it is eternal life to know who the true and living God is and who Jesus whom he sent is.

I’m open minded to any ones understanding of the Bible.

I’m wrong in some of my own thinking others I’m sure of it especially when it comes to others and their understanding and viewpoints.

I just don’t like to fight or debate with anyone.

The spirit is primary, always. To Love God and to Love Others.

In Christ, peace, kindness, mercy, joy, of Christ,
Matthew Gallagher

Reactions: Lambano

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Hello Quietthinker,

To me the Bible is the only book on earth that was inspired by God. It’s important to grow and read the truths about God and pertaining to his Son Jesus Christ. Jesus said it is eternal life to know who the true and living God is and who Jesus whom he sent is.

I’m open minded to any ones understanding of the Bible. I’m wrong in some of my own thinking others I’m sure of it. I just don’t like to fight or debate with anyone.

The spirit is primary, always. To Love God and to Love Others.

In Christ, peace, kindness, mercy, joy, of Christ,
Matthew Gallagher
I don't see it as a matter of arguing Matthew. I find it of utmost importance to call a spade a spade which involves the willingness to hear and have our ideas put under scrutiny.

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello Barney,

What makes you say those things for?

in Christ,
Matthew Gallagher
I believe @quietthinker has pretty much summed up my views on this topic. God is love. His love is so profound and exquisite that it is actually impossible to convey fully in language from the lips of we earthen vessels. The barbaric children of Israel did the best they could. You can kind of see their progress in sensitivity and nobility through the centuries.

Christ (the Antibarbarian) without question came the closest. I can't believe people favor Paul over Him the way they do. I know it's all Scripture but if I were pressed I'd pick the Gospels and Revelation every time. His words were so simple and yet sublimely expressive of His Father's love for us and all of His creatures, for that matter. The Sermon on the Mount is like Einstein reading a "See Spot Run (Love)" book.

I could go on rambling but I see I've got notifications coming in and I've gotta rap this up so I can tear myself away when my wife gets home from her hair appt. :)

Very insightful topic for a thread, MG.

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Barney,

when it also comes to hardening hearts, I’m reminded of Pharaoh.

In Christ,
Matthew Gallagher
Yeah, logically, I don't see how that works but I wouldn't argue the point. :)