Does God love, or hate unbelievers?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

atpollard

Jun 30, 2019
Port Richey, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites, because you travel around on sea and land to make one proselyte; and when he becomes one, you make him twice as much a son of hell as yourselves" [Matthew 23:15] ... can't you just FEEL THE LOVE!

Last edited:
Reactions: Scott Downey

atpollard

Jun 30, 2019
Port Richey, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"I will destroy your high places, cut down your incense altars, and cast your carcasses on the lifeless forms of your idols; and My soul shall abhor you." [Leviticus 26:30] ... can't you just FEEL THE LOVE!

Reactions: Scott Downey

atpollard

Jun 30, 2019
Port Richey, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"The LORD tests the righteous, But the wicked and the one who loves violence His soul hates." [Psalms 11:5]
... can't you just FEEL THE LOVE!

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Just general talk about unbelievers.

When it comes to sheeps and goats, I believe that dwelt with the nation of Israel.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God does not hate unbelievers, he wants everyone to come to know him & his Son, God doesn't turn away anybody, he might not agree with what some people are doing but he loves everybody

Thank you for sharing.

"The LORD tests the righteous, But the wicked and the one who loves violence His soul hates." [Psalms 11:5]

What does hates mean?

Reactions: shortangel

atpollard

Jun 30, 2019
Port Richey, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

What does hates mean?
Brown-Driver-Briggs Lexicon
STRONGS H8130
שָׂנֵא 145 verb hate (Late Hebrew id.; MI4 שנאי my foes; Sabean שנאם foe Sab.Denkm.No. 12, 1. 9 compare Ib.No. 7, 1. 9 CISiv, No. 173, 1. 6; Arabic
bdb097103.gif
bdb097104.gif
, hate; Aramaic סְנָא,
bdb097105.gif
, id., סָנְאָה,
bdb097106.gif
hater, etc.; Ethiopic hate is
bdb097107.gif
); —
Qal 128 Perfect 3rd person masculine singular שׂ׳ Deuteronomy 12:31 +, suffix שְׂנֵאָהּ 2 Samuel 13:15 +; 2nd person masculine singular שָׂנֵאתָ Psalm 5:5 +, suffix שְׂנֵאתַ֫נִי Judges 14:16, etc.; Imperfect 3rd person masculine singular יִשְׂנָא Proverbs 13:5; Proverbs 26:28, suffix יִשְׂנָאֶ֑ךָּ Proverbs 9:8, etc.; Imperative masculine plural שִׂנְאוּ Amos 9:15; Psalm 97:10; Infinitive absolute שָׂנאֹ Judges 15:2; construct שְׂנאֹ Genesis 37:5 +, שְׂנאֹת Proverbs 8:13; Participle active שׂנֵא Deuteronomy 4:42 +, שׂנַאֲךָ Exodus 23:5; Proverbs 25:21; plural construct שׂנְאֵי Exodus 18:21 +, etc.; passive feminine singular שְׂנוּאָה Genesis 29:31 +; masculine plural construct שְׂנֻאֵי 2 Samuel 5:8 Qr (> Kt שָֽׂנְאוּ); — hate (often opposed to אָהֵב):

Some other verses where the same word is also used (Qual, perfect):
  • [Deuteronomy 12:31] "You shall not worship the LORD your God in that way; for every abomination to the LORD which He hates they have done to their gods; for they burn even their sons and daughters in the fire to their gods.
  • [2 Samuel 13:15] Then Amnon hated her exceedingly, so that the hatred with which he hated her [was] greater than the love with which he had loved her. And Amnon said to her, "Arise, be gone!"
  • [Psalm 5:5] The boastful shall not stand in Your sight; You hate all workers of iniquity.
I think it means "hate" ... comparable to the way God feels about burning your children in the fires of Molech ... hate (śānē') = "seriously non-plussed".

Reactions: shortangel

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1. The question was off topic.
I'm so glad you NEVER make an "off topic" comment! Some of us aren't perfect.
2. Those verses simply state that 'hell' is so ... they do not discuss how God "feels" about those he sends there.

Here is a verse about "How God feels":
  • [Matthew 23:37] "Jerusalem, Jerusalem, who kills the prophets and stones those who have been sent to her! How often I wanted to gather your children together, the way a hen gathers her chicks under her wings, and you were unwilling.
  • [Luke 13:34] "Jerusalem, Jerusalem, the [city] that kills the prophets and stones those who have been sent to her! How often I wanted to gather your children together, just as a hen [gathers] her young under her wings, and you were unwilling!
Just to answer your question and be done with it: No.
(I gave an answer. Start a topic if you want a discussion.)
Psalm 11
5 The LORD tests the righteous, But the wicked and the one who loves violence His soul hates.

atpollard

Jun 30, 2019
Port Richey, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Could it also mean to turn away from, dislike?
Yup ... but I don't think it implies anything casual.
Maybe like being banished from court with a warning "if I ever see your face again, you will die" rather than a short "time out in the corner".

Now does God change his mind or is HIS "settled opposition" to something more permanent?

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That was only an explanation why nobody answered it ... I did not intend any accusation or personal attack. [sorry]
Thanks for explaining but everybody makes "off topic" posts. It only gets noted when people don't like what is said.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That is why we labor and strive, because we have put our hope in the living God, who is the Savior of all people, and especially of those who believe.

Reactions: Lambano

Scott Downey

Dec 19, 2021
New Brunswick
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I don't think he actually hates them, but scripture makes it quite clear that they're not his kind of people..:)-
"dogs, pigs" (Matthew 7:6)
"weeds" (Matthew 13:38 )
"brute beasts" (2 Peter 2:12)
"heathens" (Jeremiah 10:2)
"fools" (Psalms 94:8 )
"liars" (1 John 2:22-23)
"defiled, impure" (Titus 1:15)
"filthy" (Revelation 22:11)
"Evildoers...They return at evening: they make a noise like a dog, and go round about the city.." (Psalms 59:6)

Right Lassie?
View attachment 26456
People tend to assign the attributes of God's love they feel towards themselves onto the unsaved, like they are not any different. But they are different, we were not the others, the ones God loved, He saved.
Ephesians 2
3 among whom also we all once conducted ourselves in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind, and were by nature children of wrath, just as the others.

4 But God, who is rich in mercy, because of His great love with which He loved us, 5 even when we were dead in trespasses, made us alive together with Christ (by grace you have been saved), 6 and raised us up together, and made us sit together in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus, 7 that in the ages to come He might show the exceeding riches of His grace in His kindness toward us in Christ Jesus. 8 For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God,

So you see the LOVE of God he manifested towards us, but not the others.

Reactions: atpollard

Scott Downey

Dec 19, 2021
New Brunswick
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
1 John 4:8-10
New King James Version

8 He who does not love does not know God, for God is love.

9 In this the love of God was manifested toward us, that God has sent His only begotten Son into the world, that we might live through Him.

10 In this is love, not that we loved God, but that He loved us and sent His Son to be the propitiation for our sins.

What this is speaking about is only for people who will be saved. Only saved people have the propitiation of their sins. The unsaved die in their sins.

God sent his Son into the world that WE would live through Him, but the others do not live. So God sending Christ was to save believers only, not unbelivers.
Like it says john 3:16-17, Christ came to save His people and only His people from their sin, He did not come to condemn but to save, but He only saves believers, they are the ones He loved, which is why they believed.

16 For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life. 17 For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world, but that the world through Him might be saved.

Scott Downey

Dec 19, 2021
New Brunswick
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Unbelievers do not have the propitiation of their sins. God's wrath is on them that believe not in the Son.
If you do not have propitiation of your sins your not a saved person.

John 3
35 The Father loves the Son, and has given all things into His hand.
36 He who believes in the Son has everlasting life; and he who does not believe the Son shall not see life, but the wrath of God abides on him.”

Wrath is not LOVE

Scott Downey

Dec 19, 2021
New Brunswick
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
This verse has been quoted as proving God loves the wicked.
but where is the word saying that? You do not see it.

2 Peter 3:8-10
New King James Version

8 But, beloved, do not forget this one thing, that with the Lord one day is as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day.
9 The Lord is not slack concerning His promise, as some count slackness, but is longsuffering toward us, not willing that any should perish but that all should come to repentance.

What you do read is Peter is writing towards the church, he calls them the Beloved of God, God is not willing any of them perish but that all come to repentance. 'Longsuffering towards US, the beloved", not those of Satan who are of the evil one, the unbelieving unsaved world.

There is nothing here about the wicked. Peter in his letter in other verses condemns the wicked as worthy of death

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'll be blunt! God doesn't give to us what WE want.

do you know my marriage of 35 years is failing? No you don’t.

Do you know that my first grandchild loss his father from a drug overdose when he was five? Do you know what all has torn and ripped our family apart? What trials all our grandchildren have faced? Our family?

All I meant was that in my entire lifetime it has been those moments of crushing pressure that has caused what I feel like is a genuine Hope in God. Those times being the times that put me on my knees. So I tell you that yes my mother is some of it, some my own destruction, some destruction from others but in it all …what I think of is God works all things to the good of those who love Him. We can take that to mean as you said that God works all things for us getting what we want. But to me it means God works all things for the good of those who love Him. Good things. So I still ask why my Father would want me to stand by at the funeral of my grandsons father OR when my mothers time comes …standing there crying, full of doubt, and with no hope?

Reactions: Lambano

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites, because you travel around on sea and land to make one proselyte; and when he becomes one, you make him twice as much a son of hell as yourselves" [Matthew 23:15] ... can't you just FEEL THE LOVE!

"I will destroy your high places, cut down your incense altars, and cast your carcasses on the lifeless forms of your idols; and My soul shall abhor you." [Leviticus 26:30] ... can't you just FEEL THE LOVE!

"You shall destroy those who speak falsehood; The LORD abhors the bloodthirsty and deceitful man." [Psalms 5:6] ... can't you just FEEL THE LOVE!

How do we reconcile those above “….can’t you just feel the Love” with
Matthew 5:43-44 You have heard that it has been said, You shall love your neighbour, and hate your enemy. [44] But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;

Luke 6:27-28 But I say unto you which hear, Love your enemies, do good to them which hate you, [28] Bless them that curse you, and pray for them which despitefully use you.

Luke 6:35-39 But love you your enemies, and do good, and lend, hoping for nothing again; and your reward shall be great, and you shall be the children of the Highest: for he is kind unto the unthankful and to the evil. [36] Be you therefore merciful, as your Father also is merciful. [37] Judge not, and you shall not be judged: condemn not, and you shall not be condemned: forgive, and you shall be forgiven: [38] Give, and it shall be given unto you; good measure, pressed down, and shaken together, and running over, shall men give into your bosom. For with the same measure that you mete withal it shall be measured to you again. [39] And he spake a parable unto them, Can the blind lead the blind? shall they not both fall into the ditch?

My fear is that so often it is those saying it is not fair…in regard to want. For example why did they get a penny too? did we not labour more than they? Always a “well that is not fair” didn’t we do more? To look at our enemies, those that cut the deepest and say “well I thought …a cursing on them! look over here God, we are the group that did well. Why are they blessed?” “Why are they blessed” seems to be a continuous question?