Does it concern you that gospels were written so many years after Jesus died?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

saintiaint

Mar 4, 2021
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Forgive them Lord, they think they know you but they are delusional aren't they.

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That's my concern. Look at the Chinese whispers game and it's effect. Messages get warped over time.

Seriously? You don't think the Creator of the universe could overcome this difficulty? LOL

I can imagine telling a story over and over again. A couple of points: I'd likely tell it slightly differently over time and this is seen in the manuscripts. Second, telling the story over and over again is a way to remember it (not warp it), this is especially true when it is a real experience you had.

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You mean you believe God was there.
You don't know.
You can study the historical evidence, in which there are fragments of the original books. God's word was protected by God and passed down accurately with few errors. Textual criticism is pretty accurate academic scholarship. They have over 5k manuscripts, copies of the originals and when they compare the copies they may say there are 2000 errors. but that may just mean a misspelled word, flip flop phrase, a word added or taken away. Boil it dow and these errors would have no effect on the doctrines and historical facts written.
If you were an all powerful God and wanted mankind to receive your word accurately, wouldn't you protect it? Many have attempted to destroy the Bible but failed. If all the Bibles in the world were burned, you could reproduce it from literature written about it. The Word of God is reliable. There are many translations and I use several. I remember Ruth Graham once said, "I have about twenty versions of the Bible and they all say the same thing".
As for your comment about knowing if God was there. Did not the Holy Spirit confirm His presence in you? We know He is, was and will be present. We know because the beginning of knowledge is the fear of the LORD.
If you know Jesus, you know what He said is true.

Last edited:
Reactions: marks and BobVance

jaybird

Feb 29, 2016
We appear to be living in a time similar to this:

Judges 6:13
[13] And Gideon said unto him, Oh my Lord, if the Lord be with us, why then is all this befallen us? and where be all his miracles which our fathers told us of, saying, Did not the Lord bring us up from Egypt? but now the Lord hath forsaken us, and delivered us into the hands of the Midianites.
I agree, but I also believe we have been in these times since Jesus ascended, times have always been bad.
And I don't think Jesus would leave us with only bibles which can be edited by anyone. John, Thomas and Paul all continued talking to Jesus after He went back, I think this is what Jesus intended but someone is teaching us wrong.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Bible (NT) that was written so many years after Jesus life.??
Are you finding yourself like Thomas doubting, doubting perhaps that the Bible, including the NT was written by men who were inspired by God to do so? To live in such doubt is to doubt God and His Son. I will quote one verse here for you to consider and pray about for your own sake:

"But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him." Heb 11:6

It does not say 'without knowledge', but "without faith" and in another place it tells us what faith is:

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen." Heb 11:1

If you are looking for proof or a sign from God, look where Jesus told people to look:

"But he answered and said unto them, An evil and adulterous generation seeketh after a sign; and there shall no sign be given to it, but the sign of the prophet Jonas:
For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale's belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth." Matt 12:39-40

Last edited:
Reactions: BobVance

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Doubt is not a dirty word.
Dogmatism is.
And what is "faith"? Everyone has faith in something. Faith that their car will start when they turn the ignition, faith that they will be paid for work done each day, faith that they will wake up in the morning, faith that their computer will not crash today, faith that they won't get sick and die before nightfall...etc.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ah ...your only source...
And the source that was written up to 70 years after the events...
Dare I research another source eh ...
Written by some uninspired man when? Today or yesterday? Is anyone today lying to others? Who can we trust to always tell us the Truth? Your pastor or our parents or our brothers? Why are they not also men?

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And I don't think Jesus would leave us with only bibles which can be edited by anyone

I disagree with you here.

Man cannot do anything God does not allow; and God would not allow men to remove his truth. However men have been trying to cast doubt in men’s minds on the reliability of the Bible; in our lifetime it started with the newly discovered manuscripts of the 1800’s which were promoted as “more reliable” by the enemies of the cross.

It seems you cannot appeal to scripture without someone challenging it in some way. This generation is wicked as hell!

Especially the ones in churches!

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You mean you believe God was there.
You don't know.
Well you either trust that God would have been inspiring John or not! It is that simple. Other than the fact that you weren't there, do you have any empirical evidence to raise doubts as to the divine inspiration of the gospels?

Do you believe god is active in your life? How can you know? You can't see Him. We either trust that God did right and that teh millions who have died defending the accuracy of that book were correct or we live in doubt and then what authority do youhave to rely on?

Feelings?
Reason?
Other people?
Some other book?

How do you know they are accurate and absolute?

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You can insult me for expressing my doubts I guess. If that makes you feel better.
Better to express doubts than to lie about them! But then where does a person get Truth? According to the what is written, Jesus said that he is the Truth. How do we get all that Jesus is... or even a measure of Him?

Reactions: Wrangler

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
what bothers me the most is the bible is full of people talking to the Most High, talking to angels, talking to Jesus, receiving revelation from the heavens, people witnessing miracles, and yet we today do not live like this at all, we just read about this stuff in the bible. why cant we learn from Jesus the way the 12 did?
Amen!
Shades of @bbyrd009!

Reactions: jaybird