Don't make everything spiritual

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Azim

Sep 25, 2020
Vancouver
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I have a question for everyone, and am very interested on your thoughts.

As we serve God with the gifts He has given us, to do His will in the lives of others, how should one react, when given thanks? If God is the one who has enabled us to do His works, should He not be getting the credit? I serve as the main sound tech and am in charge of the livestream/online aspect of our church. Whenever people thank me, I don't see how I can accept it. Truthfully, when I look at what I do, its Christ in me doing the work. It doesn't feel like labor. Awhile back, I started responding with "Give glory to God", after another brother here said that to me when I thanked him for something.

A year ago, the interim pastor took me to lunch, and I brought this up. He responded with saying "don't make everything spiritual". His advice was a simple "thank you" was enough. If pointing to God, who should be credited for what we do, is "spiritual", then it sounds bizarre to me if we shouldn't be always doing that. As far as I see, if we have faith in Christ, who himself pointed everything he did to God the Father, shouldn't we be doing the same. Especially as one who follows Christ himself? What are your thoughts?

Reactions: amigo de christo

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A simple "Thank you" may be enough if we remain humble not letting our head swell up... but for me "Give God the glory" is better.

Perhaps some people can easily divide what belongs to men and what belongs to God but consider:

Mt 22:20And he saith unto them, Whose is this image and superscription?
Mt 22:21They say unto him, Caesar's. Then saith he unto them, Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's; and unto God the things that are God's.
When I read those verses long ago, the question came to me, What is not God's? Are not even the things we name as Caesar's really God's?

Ps 50:10For every beast of the forest is mine, and the cattle upon a thousand hills.
Ps 50:11I know all the fowls of the mountains: and the wild beasts of the field are mine.
Ps 50:12If I were hungry, I would not tell thee: for the world is mine, and the fulness thereof.
Eze 18:4Behold, all souls are mine; as the soul of the father, so also the soul of the son is mine:...
Men of flesh as I read the Bible are stewards until and if they inherit.

As children or God or sons of God, we would be heirs, but an heirs is not owner, is he?

So then back to your question. Is a simple "Thank you" proper? Perhaps if in our mind and our heart we are giving thanks truly on God's behalf. Again for me, "Give God the glory" is better.

• Love
Reactions: Nancy and Azim

GTW27

Dec 6, 2018
wilderness
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

As we serve God with the gifts He has given us, to do His will in the lives of others, how should one react, when given thanks? If God is the one who has enabled us to do His works, should He not be getting the credit? I serve as the main sound tech and am in charge of the livestream/online aspect of our church. Whenever people thank me, I don't see how I can accept it. Truthfully, when I look at what I do, its Christ in me doing the work. It doesn't feel like labor. Awhile back, I started responding with "Give glory to God", after another brother here said that to me when I thanked him for something.

A year ago, the interim pastor took me to lunch, and I brought this up. He responded with saying "don't make everything spiritual". His advice was a simple "thank you" was enough. If pointing to God, who should be credited for what we do, is "spiritual", then it sounds bizarre to me if we shouldn't be always doing that. As far as I see, if we have faith in Christ, who himself pointed everything he did to God the Father, shouldn't we be doing the same. Especially as one who follows Christ himself? What are your thoughts?
Blessings in Christ Jesus Azim. "Apart from Him I can do nothing" We always give Glory to Him who deserves it. I am the one who brags, who brags upon the Name of The Lord. I have learned to be thankful, thankful to The Lord for all things and in all things. "Give God the Glory" is true, even my next breath, or heart beat, is from Him. All Glory, Honor, and praise belong to Him and Him alone. After these words, I must step into the shower. Even in the shower, I thank The Lord for the water over my head. I am the only one in this area with my original well, all the others around me, had to be dug deeper for sufficient water. Now how is that. Perhaps it is thankfulness and giving God the Glory. So yeh give God The Glory, and ignore that pastor, as some know not their left hand from their right.

Windmillcharge

Dec 21, 2017
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
. Whenever people thank me, I don't see how I can accept it.
I agree with your pastor, you are serving your church helping them to worship, so accept the gratitude of those grateful for your service.
Not everything has to be spiritualised.

Reactions: Azim

Gottservant

Oct 19, 2022
Greensborough
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

Jesus said "when you are done, say 'we are unprofitable servants, we have done what it was our duty to do" (gospels, from memory).

That said, faith is partly your doing, so while you are praising God for His part, you should also be satisfied within yourself that you have done your part.

But again, I love the advice of "not making everything spiritual", inspiration plays a much bigger part in the faith life, than this or that "spiritual" dogma.

Reactions: Azim