Early Church Fathers

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

justaname

Disciple of Jesus Christ
Mar 14, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Okay so I just finished a course on the history of the early Church. My final exam was to write a letter to a fictitious christian named "John" convincing him of the importance of studying the Early Church Fathers. (ECFs)

In my modesty it is pretty convincing! :p I do see the study of the ECFs as important, so here it is with no further ado:

To John,

Grace and peace to you and your family in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ. I write to you in solemn regard of the study of the early Church Fathers and its importance. It is disheartening to find you hold such studies in low regard. Charles Spurgeon, whom I know you hold in high esteem is quoted as, “It seems odd, that certain men who talk so much of what the Holy Spirit reveals to themselves, should think so little of what He has revealed to others.” Perhaps this letter can be a convincing tool that persuades you otherwise.
Let me fist appeal to you in this manner. You do know the early reformers held an affinity for the Church Fathers, do you not? Men such as Martian Luther, John Calvin, and John Owen have quoted and studied their Church predecessors. They know the treasures of doctrine and the richness of their spiritual love and knowledge. Without looking into the writings of these men is to ignore the nurturing capabilities and emboldening truths these men held in their lives and writings. The Church reformers knew this and studied them not exclusively but extensively. To read these men allows you to gain insight into what the Church was facing and what they had to overcome in its formative years.
Are you so stuck in your present times as to not be able to examine what has happened in the past? Are you looking to forge some untrodden path? Do you not know many of the heresies we face today are the same our Church giants faced in the past only given in new language and context? As with all history we gain by looking back to build upon what has already been covered. Not only this but we are able to gain a different view or insight to the same issues we might be facing by looking to what others who came before us have contemplated, sought guidance for, and responded to. Looking back can break the current mold we are in enabling us to see things anew and fresh without our bias of culture.
When thinking of the language of the New Testament, the culture of the people of the time, and the mindset of the Church as it formed, who better to acquire information from other than those who were living at the time? These men knew Greek, and the same Greek as the writers of the New Testament. Not only this they were well acquainted with the natural surroundings and habits of the pagan peoples. These Early Church Fathers give an insight into the New Testament scriptures that are second to none. By disregarding what these men have written regarding the scriptures not only does you a personal disservice but also does a disservice to those you minister to. The greater the richness of your knowledge of the scriptures, the more agile you will be in articulating the interpretation of such. This is not to say you must agree with everything these men have written, rather you will be well to do to at least entertain what has been discussed in the past by enlightened men.
Think about how many times you have heard how much bad the Church has done. Think about the phrase, “I hate religion, all it does is kill people.” Would it not behoove you to at least comprehend the truth about the history of the Church? Would you not like to be able to respond to such garbage? Don’t be a deer in the headlights when attacked with improper information of our beloved Church’s formation, the compilation of the cannon, and the actions of the Church. Equip yourself with the truth! By not knowing the truth you are equipping the enemy to beholden those captive who believe these lies. Not only this but you are in some ways captive to these same lies yourself. Allow yourself freedom with knowledge by reading and understanding the true history of our Church.
As I have mentioned earlier, most defective doctrinal stances are simply old heresies given differently in a new time. Our Church Fathers have already faced these demons and defeated them. They held councils, created creeds, organized doctrine, written systemic theologies, discussed and prodded all the facets in order to wrestle out the truth. It is of great effort the condition and survival of the Church today given the persistent groundwork laid by these great men. How much stronger is your apologetic tactic when you look to those who formed the systems to begin with? How much easier is your task in understanding the argument you lay when you look to those who designed the arguments? Do you not comprehend your personal disservice by not looking to the sources? Think only of the time you can save, let alone the insight you can gain by simply reading the groundwork already laid!
You are an intelligent man John, and you know the importance of history. You are a beloved brother in Christ so why not look to other brothers for their personal insight. You look to your pastor for insight and you have even sought my advice on doctrinal positions. What is it that repulses you from looking to the Early Church Fathers for spiritual food? Is it perhaps the statement sola scriptoria? If so then you have an improper outlook at that declaration. Is it a disdain for the Roman Catholic faith? If this is the case, then you are deciding not to plant an orchard for reasons that there are weeds in the field. Think of the vastness of spiritual fruit you are not harvesting because of some weeding that needs to be done. I suggest you look at the core of why you disregard the pearls of the past. I know you to be more of a person who loves to harbor rich knowledge and love of God. How much more should you then decide to love and respect what His children have done in the past? Again, not all fruit is ripe for the eating, and perhaps some are even rotten, but one must not allow the spoiled apples to destroy the whole bunch. Search through the bushel to dispel the bad fruit and enjoy what is left for nourishment and edification.
I pray this letter is received not only in good conscience but also on fertile soil. Please carefully consider the arguments made not only in their positive but also in their negative light. By reading of the Church Fathers you can be edified, gain truth of our past as a Church body, obtain stronger apologetic capabilities, reflect humility, and add a depth and richness to your spiritual walk. By not studying these pearls of wisdom you show obstinate disdain for past brothers, do yourself a disservice of edification, do others a disservice when dialoguing about our Lord and His Church, and make muddy the spiritual waters of unity within yourself. Please reflect upon the arguments made with the Holy Spirit as your guide.

In the Love of Christ,
Justaname

Take my advice I gave to John and be edified!