• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sir that has all scripture to look through.

Its a dictionary…

People who wanna study and learn will.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    477.1 KB · Views: 0
Reactions: Johann

Marvelloustime

Sep 15, 2020
Heaven bound
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
In the sense that JESUS meant this . YES . The same JESUS also said we are to love our enemies .
This simply means , PUT NOTHING BEFORE GOD and HIS CHRIST . LOVE HIM ABOVE ALL .
THEN your neighbor as yourself . Do not love humanity MORE THAN GOD .
LOVE GOD , LOVE HIS CHRIST FIRST , ABOVE ALL . The true agape love that honors GOD in ALL IT DOES
and from that love one can see clearly how to love his neighbor .
save-image.png

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
“Most scholars teach the two different Greek words agape and phileo, mean two different things, or at the very least, two different types of love (such as, I love my wife and I love pizza). However, this does not bear itself out in the Greek New Testament. The simple fact is that these two words are used interchangeably, both meaning love. If phileo means friendship and not godly love, then why does Christ use it in Revelation 3:19? "As many as I love, I rebuke."

Both words mean love and are used interchangeably.”

Courtesy:
Amazing that your link supports-

John Calvin - Further, when he says that the fullness of the GODHEAD dwells in Christ, he means simply, that God is wholly found in him, so that he who is not contented with Christ alone, desires something better and more excellent than God. The sum is this, that God has manifested himself to us fully and perfectly in Christ. Interpreters explain in different ways the adverb bodily. For my part, I have no doubt that it is employed -- not in a strict sense -- as meaning substantially. For he places this manifestation of God, which we have in Christ, to all others that have ever been made. For God has often manifested himself to men, but it has been only in part. In Christ, on the other hand, he communicates himself to us wholly. He has also manifested himself to us otherwise, but it is in figures, or by power and grace. In Christ, on the other hand, he has appeared to us essentially. Thus the statement of John holds good: He that hath the Son, hath the Father also. (1 John 2 23.) For those who possess Christ have God truly present, and enjoy Him wholly."

Adam Clarke on Colossians 2:9 - ""The fulness of the GODHEAD dwelt in Christ 'bodily,' as opposed to the Jewish tabernacle, or temple; truly and really, in opposition to types and figures; not only effectively, as God dwells in good men, but substantially or personally, by the strictest union, as the soul dwells in the body; so that God and man are one Christ."

Burton Coffman's Commentary - "For in him dwelleth all the fullness of the GODHEAD bodily. This is an unequivocal declaration of the deity of the Son of God...GODHEAD - Ellis noted that "The Greek word for Godhead or deity is the abstract noun for God and includes not only the divine attributes, but also the divine nature." Barry declared that "almost every word of this verse is emphatic." Thus the meaning is intense, thus: All the fullness of the GODHEAD ... not a mere emanation from the Supreme Being ... Dwells and remains forever ... not descending on him for a time and then leaving again ... Bodily ... that is, as incarnate in his humanity"

Barnes' Notes on the New Testament - "For in him dwelleth. That is, this was the great and central doctrine that was to be maintained about Christ, that all the fulness of the GODHEAD dwelt in him. Of the Godhead. Of the Divinity, the Divine nature . The word is one that properly denotes the Divine nature and perfections."

J.N. Darby - "And first all the fullness of the GODHEAD dwells in Him bodily. Instead of the misty speculations of men and fantastic aeons, we have the fullness of God bodily, in a real human body, and thus efficaciously for us, in the Person of Jesus Christ."

John Gill - "For in him dwelleth all the fulness of the GODHEAD bodily. This is to be understood... of Christ, and particularly of his human nature, as consisting of a true body and a reasonable soul, in which the GODHEAD dwells in a most eminent manner...The GODHEAD dwells in Christ as in a tabernacle, in allusion to the tabernacle of Moses, which looked mean without side, but glorious within; where God granted his presence, and accepted the sacrifices of his people."

David Guzik's Commentary on the Bible - "In Him dwells all the fullness of the GODHEAD: This is a dramatic, airtight declaration of the full Deity of Jesus. Since all the fullness of the GODHEAD dwells in Jesus, He cannot be a halfway God or a "junior god." All the fullness of the GODHEAD bodily... Paul needed to make it clear that all the fullness of the GODHEAD was in Jesus bodily, not in some strange, mystical sense."

Jamieson, Fausset and Brown - "of the GODHEAD--The Greek (theotes) means the ESSENCE and NATURE of the GODHEAD, not merely the divine perfections and attributes of Divinity. He, as man, was not merely God-like, but in the fullest sense, God."

Matthew Henry - "For in him dwelleth all the fulness of the GODHEAD bodily. Under the law, the presence of God dwelt between the cherubim, in a cloud which covered the mercy-seat; but now it dwells in the person of our Redeemer, who partakes of our nature, and is bone of our bone and flesh of our flesh, and has more clearly declared the Father to us. It dwells in him bodily; not as the body is opposed to the spirit, but as the body is opposed to the shadow. The fulness of the GODHEAD dwells in the Christ really, and not figuratively; for he is both God and man."

Robertson's Word Pictures - "The fulness of the GOD-HEAD was in Christ before the Incarnation (John 1:1,18; Philippians 2:6), during the Incarnation (John 1:14,18; 1 John 1:1-3). It was the Son of God who came in the likeness of men (Philippians 2:7). Paul here disposes of the Docetic theory that Jesus had no human body as well as the Cerinthian separation between the man Jesus and the aeon Christ. He asserts plainly the deity and the humanity of Jesus Christ in corporeal form."

John Wesley - "For in him dwelleth - Inhabiteth, continually abideth, all the fulness of the GODHEAD. Believers are "filled with all the fulness of God," Ephesians 3:19. But in Christ dwelleth all the fulness of the GODHEAD; the most full GODHEAD; not only divine powers, but divine nature, Colossians 1:19. Bodily - Personally, really, substantially. The very substance of God, if one might so speak, dwells in Christ in the most full sense."

--these commentators

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I wanted to share this.
This is a very useful way to learn the scripture and how they were looked at a long time ago. You dont have to accept is a truth or fact. However the reality of the bible being in hebrew and in greek remains true before recieving an english.

@Michiah-Imla ; hey man you can believe what every you, and who every you want to, i do not care. As your an able body person to think for their self.

Agape love is defined in the bible and the information shared is for people to consider.

I rather consult a dictionary or encyclopedia on things than what someone may say on the internet.

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
Jesus is our Sanctification

WE have this because we are "In Christ" who is our Sanctification.

This is literally to exist in eternal Spiritual Union with God.

The born again are "in Christ", and in Him is ....= God's Grace,.....= forgiveness of all sin, eternal redemption, eternal life, THE resurrection, and freedom from sin.

Marvelloustime

Sep 15, 2020
Heaven bound
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
When truth is said , when error gets corrected , those whose sins and errors are exposed
will often call this hate . But it is not us who hate . They hate their sin and erros being exposed .
Judge not is taken out of text
Love your neighbor as yourself has been taken out of text .
And the love they now preach is a love that cometh NOT OF GOD .
But is of the world . It is sensual , devilsh and it will embrace and honor error and sin .
And if one dares to correct them , THEY see them as self righteous pharisees .
And we can ill afford to conform to their pattern . For what has this judge not pattern , this correct not error pattern
truly led them too . TOTAL LEAVEN in the houses and churches . Leaven is not one for traveling the lone road
without company . Once the door is opened and little leaven enters in , HE WHISTLES BEHIND HIM
and brings MANY MORE FRIENDS RIGHT INTO THAT CHURCH . IN other words
If leaven aint corrected , BEWARE a little leaven can and will surely leaven the whole lump .
All holy and pure sound doctrine must continue to stay at the forefront .
teaching and reminding and strirring one another up daily with the pure and holy reminders in the scriptures .
save-image.png

Marvelloustime

Sep 15, 2020
Heaven bound
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
When truth is said , when error gets corrected , those whose sins and errors are exposed
will often call this hate . But it is not us who hate . They hate their sin and erros being exposed .
Judge not is taken out of text
Love your neighbor as yourself has been taken out of text .
And the love they now preach is a love that cometh NOT OF GOD .
But is of the world . It is sensual , devilsh and it will embrace and honor error and sin .
And if one dares to correct them , THEY see them as self righteous pharisees .
And we can ill afford to conform to their pattern . For what has this judge not pattern , this correct not error pattern
truly led them too . TOTAL LEAVEN in the houses and churches . Leaven is not one for traveling the lone road
without company . Once the door is opened and little leaven enters in , HE WHISTLES BEHIND HIM
and brings MANY MORE FRIENDS RIGHT INTO THAT CHURCH . IN other words
If leaven aint corrected , BEWARE a little leaven can and will surely leaven the whole lump .
All holy and pure sound doctrine must continue to stay at the forefront .
teaching and reminding and strirring one another up daily with the pure and holy reminders in the scriptures .
save-image.png

• Love
Reactions: amigo de christo

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
Understand...... that to be "in Christ" means we are born again, as a "new Creation".

= Created by God, as "the righteousness of God in Christ". "Made Righteous".... "having eternal life". "made FREE from Sin".

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Michiah-Imla ; hey man you can believe what every you, and who every you want to, i do not care.

I believe the Bible.

As a Christian you should care what the Bible teaches about love too!

Agape and Phileo love are THE SAME!

The scholars love controlling people with nonsense like this.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus is our Sanctification

WE have this because we are "In Christ" who is our Sanctification.

This is literally to exist in eternal Spiritual Union with God.

The born again are "in Christ", and in Him is ....= God's Grace,.....= forgiveness of all sin, eternal redemption, eternal life, THE resurrection, and freedom from sin.
Yes

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I believe the Bible.

As a Christian you should care what the Bible teaches about love too!

Agape and Phileo love are THE SAME!

The scholars love controlling people with nonsense like this.
Cool. But your gaslighting me to continue to believe you, after sharing oppossing evidence, to look through. Case of just sticking to the same thing you wanna believe without diving further. May you be encouraged to dig deeper.

Those pictures are clear and they have scripture within for people to investiage snd of course choose for themselves.

Agape and philo can go together, but philo is not agape to say they are the same is like saying sticky and slick are.

Forgive my passion, but i cant do anything about it.

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel

Yes.

One day we were "ungodly sinners" "all have sinned".

The next day, we went to God as "ungodly sinners" "all have sinned" and said...>"I BELIEIVE IN YOU JESUS< SAVE ME""

And God did.

"born again"

"made righteous"

"Free from sin".

"having eternal life".

Yesterday, we were hell bound, and then The Cross changed our direction, and now we are "one with God". "In Christ" "Children of The Light"..."seated in Heavenly Places"...

Its just so amazing, what God's GRACE has PROVIDED as "the GIFT of Salvation"... and "The Gift of Rightousness"

Reactions: MatthewG

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Brother-you are coming up against a brick wall, see my posts to @Behold
"Good Works" is not a "brick wall." This is the same kind of problem Augustine had when he opposed Pelagianism. It is the same failure Luther had when he wrote "Bondage of the Will."

I'm not a Pelagianist, and I'm not a Humanist, but I do believe the Bible when it says we must make the effort to follow Christ and to keep following him. You say I've come up against a "brick wall," and yet you've answered none of the points I made. You haven't answered the problem you have with 1 John 2.

And you can't, because either you believe what John wrote, or you oppose it and claim he also has come up against a "brick wall." I'm only saying what John was saying when he wrote those words. If you don't think you have to follow Christ to be saved, then you're not a Christian.

This is an age-old debate about the freedom of the will. It may involve Predestination vs. Arminianism. I'm a Predestinarian, but I'm a free-will Predestinarian. Augustine never achieved status of "orthodoxy" in his extreme claims about Salvation by Grace--he lacked explanation as to the role of free will, it seems.

Luther lacked the same in his "bondage of the will." Melanchthon was fully orthodox, and left room for human will in his acceptance of Luther's "Salvation by Faith Alone."

The problem is, human will never acts independent of Christ, including the will of non-Christians. All virtue comes from Christ. But the only virtue that saves involves the choice to follow Christ. It isn't just the choice to do good, which all men, Christian and non-Christian, can do.

It is therefore useless to try to achieve Salvation by free will alone. All virtue comes from Christ, including the virtue Christ had when he atoned for our sins.

Our choice to follow him utilizes Christ's virtue to choose him, which is inherent in the freedom all men enjoy. But if we don't choose to follow him we can't enjoy his atonement for sin. We can't be saved.

Marvelloustime

Sep 15, 2020
Heaven bound
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Due to the teachings of seeker friendly and the all inclusive you wont be seeing true unity under true faith in many places .
How can there be true unity of THE FAITH with those who would teach another gospel .
So long as hereticks are lovers of sin and those who embrace their sins are allowed to remain uncorrected
there will always be strifes and battles . But worse what ends up happening is
folks , for sake of unity , begin to only teach common ground things like doing good works .
While doing good works is not evil to teach , THE OVERLOOKING OF DOCTRINE IS EVIL .
It has caused places to leaven up to the full .
Lambs must simply gather with lambs who love the LORD , loving ER WORD HE ever spoke .
This other unity stuff that many now preach is a UNITY that overlooks serious and deadly doctrinal differences
to OBTAIN UNITY .
IT has long forgotten the true mark of the Church .
MARK those who cause divisions CONTRARY TO THE DOCTRINE YE LEARNED
and has replaced it with MARK those who causes divisions by sound doctrine
Do you see what has occured within the realm . THEY are now going after those who
THEY THINK are causing divisions and in the way for this unity for a we are one world for peace and safety .
IN other words they allow sins , and doctrines that are super deadly to REMAIN IN THE CHURCHES .
THEY DO So thinking it dont really matter anymore so long as we just come together and do some good works .
But it does MATTER . The churches that have done this have indeed come together , they do have unity ,
BUT IT AINT UNDER GOD OR HIS CHRIST . Its under something else entirely that now even omits
the dire need to believe on CHRIST to be saved and now it teaches just find common ground with all religions .
And more and more the one true gospel is becoming hated , seen as divisions and in the way for unity .
DO YOU SEE what is happening . ITS BAD NEWS . Lambs must simply contend for the true faith
teaching all things GOD inspired , Christ taught , later the apostels taught . THOSE WHOSE LOVE
is For GOD and HIS CHRIST above all , above mother , father , husband , wife
will not sell out GOD nor HIS CHRIST for the sake of anything .
Rather they will teach n preach truth at all costs and they will have unity with those who do and love the same .
save-image.png

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Status
Not open for further replies.