Ephesians 3. Paul vs The Other Apostles & Prophets

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That’s absolutely wrong.

The kingdom was first offered to the Jews only because Jesus originally came only for the Jews, but the identical offering was offered to the gentiles when Israel mostly rejected their own messiah.

The message in Romans 11 is that gentiles are grafted onto the Jewish Olive tree, and are therefore included in the new covenant God made with the House of Israel.

There is no plan A and B, there is only plan A - and all those who are Christ’s, Jew and gentile, will be with Jesus on earth forever in the kingdom of Jesus who reigns forever on the throne of David from Jerusalem.
Yes and only the Jewish people were waiting for the prophesy of a messiah to be fulfilled. Everyone else had no clue

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Nonsense!

Labeling and dismissing.

:(

I'm not labelling or dismissing, Mark. I wasn't even confronting. You simply espoused your opinion that my interpretation of the expression in the Spirit could more accurately be rendered "in the spirit" (and/or be interpreted that way). I'm telling you how foreign such an interpretation is to the Charismatic point of view.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You simply espoused your opinion that my interpretation of the expression in the Spirit could more accurately be rendered "in the spirit" (and/or be interpreted that way).
Actually, that was just intended to be fair to the translation, not to express a preference.

I really do very much like speaking frankly with you, HIH. I'm happen to have the idea that we should be having a real meeting of the minds, if you will, on spiritual matters, but that there are some things misunderstood between us. But no matter, I always enjoy our interactions!

Reactions: Hidden In Him

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Actually, that was just intended to be fair to the translation, not to express a preference.

I really do very much like speaking frankly with you, HIH. I'm happen to have the idea that we should be having a real meeting of the minds, if you will, on spiritual matters, but that there are some things misunderstood between us. But no matter, I always enjoy our interactions!

Me too : )

Reactions: marks

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Interesting thread.

Greetings, TEXBOW. The key phrase in this passage is, "as it has now been revealed to His holy apostles and prophets in the Spirit." This means that it was during services in which prophetic utterances were going forth that the Spirit Himself gave the fuller revelation if you will - the confirmation of Paul's revelation - to the entire leadership of the church at that time, i.e. the apostles and the prophets. This likely happened during the time he and Barnabas were selected by God to begin preaching to the Gentiles. The preaching to and outpouring upon the Roman centurion Cornelius and his household is dated to around 41 AD, and it was roughly 5-6 years later when we read the following:

1 Now in the church that was at Antioch there were certain prophets and teachers: Barnabas, Simeon who was called Niger, Lucius of Cyrene, Manaen who had been brought up with Herod the tetrarch, and Saul. 2 As they ministered to the Lord and fasted, the Holy Spirit said,Now separate to Me Barnabas and Saul for the work to which I have called them.” 3 Then, having fasted and prayed, and laid hands on them, they sent them away. (Acts 13:1-3)

This is likely when the Spirit was in the final stages of confirming to the church Paul's revelation concerning the gospel to the Gentiles, i.e. when "it was revealed to His holy apostles and prophets [while] in the Spirit." Prophets are specifically mentioned here in this passage, and it was while amongst this group that the Spirit Himself commanded them to set apart Paul and Barnabas for the work.

So was it Paul's revelation initially? Yes, I think so, by his own profession in Ephesians 3:3. And thus he already likely knew the call of God on his life and was already grooming himself for it even before Antioch. But it was obviously confirmed to the apostles and prophets beyond doubt there, because the Spirit Himself commissioned Paul and Barnabas to begin preaching to the Gentiles at this point.

This places the timing of the event described in Ephesians 3:5 to roughly AD 47, when the account in Acts 13 took place.

Great insight.
I will add that everything that Paul was as far as his commission as an Apostle and His level of revelation comes from his conversion in chapter 9 of Acts....How does a person react to a God saying to you, Saul Saul why are you persecuting Me?

Then the Lord said to Ananias, Go for he is a chosen instrument of Mine, to bear My name before the Gentiles and kings and the sons of Israel.

As soon as Paul regained his sight he arose and was baptized and began to proclaim that Christ was the Son of God. He later reflects that he was caught up in the Third Heaven.

So then shortly after Peter receives a vision and he joins Paul and they more or less work as a team to change the course of Christianity forever. Not that it was not always the plan. And for sure Christ is at the Helm here.

And as far as versus the other Apostles, that is a long story and some of it historic. Meaning a lot of this is documented outside of the Bible. This is actually the line of demarcation were there are two some what different Christian religious beliefs. The Jewish-Christian Apostles and some of their followers still observed the Sabbath and at least some of the Mosaic Laws. History shows this lineage of beliefs are killed off and mostly disappears. There is very little examples their writings outside of the Bible. Most early Christian writings are from Gentile-Christians. There are no examples of Jewish-Christians attending the Ecumenical Councils.

The work of Christ through Paul and Peter set the stage for the Gentiles to take over the Church as we know it today. Paul's detailed explanations shows the level of knowledge he received in Heaven. Christ picked a champion in Paul. The human insight to Man? He knew what He wanted...Paul was intelligent, educated, zealous in what he believed, and courageous. And Paul got the job done.

Reactions: Hidden In Him

TEXBOW

Jul 8, 2021
Cypress
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That’s absolutely wrong.

The kingdom was first offered to the Jews only because Jesus originally came only for the Jews, but the identical offering was offered to the gentiles when Israel mostly rejected their own messiah.

The message in Romans 11 is that gentiles are grafted onto the Jewish Olive tree, and are therefore included in the new covenant God made with the House of Israel.

There is no plan A and B, there is only plan A - and all those who are Christ’s, Jew and gentile, will be with Jesus on earth forever in the kingdom of Jesus who reigns forever on the throne of David from Jerusalem.
Yes. One Gospel and One Body of Christ. I do think the delivery from the 12 was much different than Paul's teaching of God's grace and faith. I cannot validate this but it seems that the Holy Spirit had to drag Peter and the other 11 into the fact of salvation by faith alone. Some historians claim that it took 50 years that message to really take hold. The 12 begin to understand but at the same time did not out right reject some of the law rituals as if some of the laws of Moses were still beneficial to the Jews regardless of salvation by faith alone. We also saw that Paul was very much still tied to some of the Jewish traditions. He desired to attend the festivals. He agreed to the purification ritual in Jerusalem. He circumcised Timothy.

The observation is that you can add a new pathway to salvation (by faith alone) but removing the Jewish customs was not so quick to happen for these 1st century converts.

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Jewish-Christian Apostles and some of their followers still observed the Sabbath and at least some of the Mosaic Laws. History shows this lineage of beliefs are killed off and mostly disappears.

Yes, and I find it fascinating. Granted, nothing in the Jewish customs was mandatory anymore, but I think we lost a lot when we utterly and completely divorced ourselves from the Judaic roots of our faith. There were early church fathers who complained about the very same thing.

Is what it is. Most don't want to learn, or adopt anything foreign to their own culture. We adopted the pagan cultures, so now we celebrate Halloween instead, Lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: michaelvpardo

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And as far as versus the other Apostles, that is a long story and some of it historic. Meaning a lot of this is documented outside of the Bible. This is actually the line of demarcation were there are two some what different Christian religious beliefs. The Jewish-Christian Apostles and some of their followers still observed the Sabbath and at least some of the Mosaic Laws.

Acts 21:18-23 KJV
18) And the day following Paul went in with us unto James; and all the elders were present.
19) And when he had saluted them, he declared particularly what things God had wrought among the Gentiles by his ministry.
20) And when they heard it, they glorified the Lord, and said unto him, Thou seest, brother, how many thousands of Jews there are which believe; and they are all zealous of the law:
21) And they are informed of thee, that thou teachest all the Jews which are among the Gentiles to forsake Moses, saying that they ought not to circumcise their children, neither to walk after the customs.
22) What is it therefore? the multitude must needs come together: for they will hear that thou art come.
23) Do therefore this that we say to thee: We have four men which have a vow on them;

Paul was told here that the Jerusalem Christians were "all zealous of the law", so Paul did the "sponsor their vows" thing, which was what got him into trouble.

And of course the New Covenant as written in the Prophets included the provision that God's Law would be written on their hearts, and they would keep every bit of it.

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, and I find it fascinating. Granted, nothing in the Jewish customs was mandatory anymore, but I think we lost a lot when we utterly and completely divorced ourselves from the Judaic roots of our faith. There were early church fathers who complained about the very same thing.

Is what it is. Most don't want to learn, or adopt anything foreign to their own culture.
I think the change was dispensational.

"What is old and near disappearing"

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We also saw that Paul was very much still tied to some of the Jewish traditions. He desired to attend the festivals. He agreed to the purification ritual in Jerusalem. He circumcised Timothy.

Yes, he very much wanted to be there for the feasts, maybe all the more so now being Christian.

The purification thing, that was to appease James and the elders, to make a showing of Paul in the flesh, keeping a ritual he did not believe was necessary. No fruit is recorded to Paul's account for the next two years . . . until he again resumes his journey to Rome.

Circumsizing Timothy was purely for evangelistic reasons, as they were going into a Jewish area where the people knew Timothy's father was Greek.

Much love!

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think the change was dispensational.

In a good way or a bad way? The early church discarded its Jewish roots, yet quickly adopted all the pagan festivals instead. I added to my post that we too would rather celebrate Halloween nowadays than be caught dead observing anything Jewish. No need to be viewed as maybe starting some sort of "cult," Lol.

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Is what it is. Most don't want to learn, or adopt anything foreign to their own culture.

Although I do not think that Christianity is lacking anything that would suggest a need to look at the Old Testament for any religious our cultural beliefs or attitudes, it still stands as to what brought us here. Christ did not only save us from our sins but also saved us from the Mosaic Law and Hell. Besides the religion and culture being extremely degrading and cruel to females, the Mosaic Law defined a culture of cruelty.

Hard, rough, and cruel times for sure. Some would say that the Mosaic Law was "working with" the cruelty of Man. But you do not see the Mosaic Law making it better.

Historically, if you study the "Jewish ruling parties" that existed during Persia, Greek, and Roman rule before Christ's time and during, the observance of the Mosaic Law had changed. And of course today you would be put in prison or an insane asylum if you tried to observe certain aspects of the Law.

Maybe we can glean something from Psalms and Proverbs in the context that they had some Devine connection...but still they are mostly from one King that was a murderer and an adulterer and the other King that was a Pagan worshipper and he was called the wisest man in the Old Testament. So it is what it is.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In a good way or a bad way? The early church discarded its Jewish roots, yet quickly adopted all the pagan festivals instead. I added to my post that we too would rather celebrate Halloween nowadays than be caught dead observing anything Jewish. No need to be viewed as maybe starting some sort of "cult," Lol.

Hebrews 8:13 KJV
In that he saith, A new covenant, he hath made the first old. Now that which decayeth and waxeth old is ready to vanish away.

Wine and wineskins. If you mix the new with the old you ruin both.

Ask Paul about his venture in trying to mix law and grace as he sponsored the men in their temple vows! Stalled for 2 years! Can you imagine what it must have been like to be on his way to Rome, to evangelize the heart of the empire, only to try to appease the Jewish Law-keeping Christians, and get put in prison for 2 years? There is no fruit recorded to his account during that time. A man like Paul!

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Maybe we can glean something from Psalms and Proverbs in the context that they had some Devine connection...but still they are mostly from one King that was a murderer and an adulterer and the other King that was a Pagan worshipper and he was called the wisest man in the Old Testament. So it is what it is.
That adulterous murdering king penned the thoughts and emotions of our Savior as He died, in Psalm 22. Solomon's wisdom in Ecclesiastes gave me a liveable persective of the abuses that had overshadowed my life and get some distance.

I could go on and on at this point, but just to say, God used some very flawed men to be His scribes, but I truly believe they were His scribes, and we gain from those words.

Much love!

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes and only the Jewish people were waiting for the prophesy of a messiah to be fulfilled. Everyone else had no clue
Perhaps like this: "Messiah? What is that?"

But even with that remember the exceptions found among the gentiles in the OT! What did they see? Why were they drawn in...?

"And Ruth said, Entreat me not to leave thee, or to return from following after thee: for whither thou goest, I will go; and where thou lodgest, I will lodge: thy people shall be my people, and thy God my God:" Ruth 1:16

"And he returned to the man of God, he and all his company, and came, and stood before him: and he said, Behold, now I know that there is no God in all the earth, but in Israel: now therefore, I pray thee, take a blessing of thy servant." II Kings 5:15

Bruce Atkinson

Sep 25, 2021
Western MA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There’s not a kingdom gospel for Jews and the gospel of grace for the gentiles.

The fact is there is only ONE gospel of the kingdom of Christ and of God, offered first to the Jew, then to the gentile:

Rom 1:16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes, to the Jew first and also to the Greek.

Gal 3:28 There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus.

All that both Paul and Jesus taught applies to us, too, as proven by Paul, the apostle to the gentiles, preaching the kingdom:

Act 20:24 But none of these things move me, neither count I my life dear unto myself, so that I might finish my course with joy, and the ministry, which I have received of the Lord Jesus, to testify the gospel of the grace of God.

Act 20:25 And now, behold, I know that ye all, among whom I have gone preaching the KINGDOM of God, shall see my face no more.

Paul taught the gospel of grace and the kingdom, both. He didn’t just teach the Jews that Jesus is the messiah, he taught He is the messiah who came to die for our sins, and that God raised Him from the dead:

Act 13:26 Men and brethren, children of the stock of Abraham, and whosoever among you feareth God, to you is the word of this salvation sent.

Act 13:27 For they that dwell at Jerusalem, and their rulers, because they knew him not, nor yet the voices of the prophets which are read every sabbath day, they have fulfilled them in condemning him.

Act 13:28 And though they found no cause of death in him, yet desired they Pilate that he should be slain.

Act 13:29 And when they had fulfilled all that was written of him, they took him down from the tree, and laid him in a sepulchre.

Act 13:30 But God raised him from the dead:

Act 13:31 And he was seen many days of them which came up with him from Galilee to Jerusalem, who are his witnesses unto the people.

Act 13:32 And we declare unto you glad tidings, how that the promise which was made unto the fathers,

Act 13:33 God hath fulfilled the same unto us their children, in that he hath raised up Jesus again; as it is also written in the second psalm, Thou art my Son, this day have I begotten thee.

Act 28:30 And Paul dwelt two whole years in his own hired house, and received all that came in unto him,

Act 28:31 Preaching the KINGDOM of God, and teaching those things which concern the Lord Jesus Christ, with all confidence, no man forbidding him.

Paul preached the same thing to both the Jews and the Greeks/gentiles- there was no difference:

Act 20:20 And how I kept back nothing that was profitable unto you,but have shewed you, and have taught you publickly, and from house to house,

Act 20:21 Testifying both to the Jews, and also to the Greeks, repentance toward God, and faith toward our Lord Jesus Christ.

There is only gospel of the kingdom of Christ - not a kingdom gospel and a gospel of grace.

And Peter in Acts 2 preaches the death burial and resurrection of Jesus to the Jews there on Pentecost, too.

Act 2:22 Ye men of Israel, hear these words; Jesus of Nazareth, a man approved of God among you by miracles and wonders and signs, which God did by him in the midst of you, as ye yourselves also know:

Act 2:23 Him, being delivered by the determinate counsel and foreknowledge of God, ye have taken, and by wicked hands have crucified and slain:

Act 2:24 Whom God hath raised up, having loosed the pains of death: because it was not possible that he should be holden of it.

Apparently, I wasn't clear enough in what I wrote.

When I said the gospel of the Kingdom, my thoughts are that that gospel was preached only to the Jews at Jesus' instructions in Matthew and Mark - here's one example

Matthew 24:14 And this gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in all the world for a witness unto all nations; and then shall the end come. (KJV)

The only 'requirement' for entry into the kingdom at that point was their (the nation of Israel) belief that Jesus was the promised Messiah, exactly as Peter believed in Matthew 16:16-17. Nothing about Jesus' death, burial and resurrection as it was in the future. Even after His resurrection and ascension, that was still true for Israel. It was true, at a minimum, until after Paul was in Arabia and given revelation about the dispensation of grace and to go to Jew first, then the Gentiles.

Although the timing of when salvation by grace alone was revealed by the Holy Spirit to the other apostles is open to speculation, it's also open to speculation as to what they 'did with it'. Did they immediately switch from preaching Jesus is the Messiah to Jesus, the Son of God and Messiah, died for their sins, was buried, and rose again on the 3rd day according to scripture...eg, the gospel per 1 Corinthians 15:1-4)? If that were true, then James, Peter, and John would have written about His shed blood for sin in their epistles, wouldn't they? If it's there, I have yet to find it.

So when -did- the door 'close' regarding Jews faith that Jesus was the Messiah be all that was necessary for entry into the Kingdom? On a national basis, at the destruction of the temple in 70 AD. That is also considered by most as the end date of the dispensation of the law, although Jews still follow the Mosaic law as much as practical since then...no animal sacrifices for sin, no stoning people to death, etc. Is Judaism therefore a 'false' religion these days? Of course not. But as Paul wrote, the law only condemns, but faith in Jesus' shed blood is the only way to Heaven since it was revealed to Paul.

Romans 3:19-25 (KJV)
19 Now we know that what things soever the law saith, it saith to them who are under the law: that every mouth may be stopped, and all the world may become guilty before God.
20 Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight: for by the law is the knowledge of sin.
21 But now the righteousness of God without the law is manifested, being witnessed by the law and the prophets;
22 Even the righteousness of God which is by faith of Jesus Christ unto all and upon all them that believe: for there is no difference:
23 For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;
24 Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus:
25 Whom God hath set forth to be a propitiation through faith in his blood, to declare his righteousness for the remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God;

Was there an overlap of dispensations that Jews could believe that Jesus was the Messiah as the way to Heaven OR they could believe Jesus shed blood paid for their sins, etc? I certainly think so. Until 70 AD, the law was still in full effect, the temple was still in operation as normal, sacrifices were still being made, etc. Considering they didn't have 'instant communication' like we do today, covering all of Israel by foot for the disciples and apostles, even if they were preaching shed blood, would take years and years to accomplish. Hence, the overlap of law and grace.

But what about after 70 AD? Will Jews belief that Jesus is the Messiah (plus nothing) still be sufficient to get to heaven? It would certainly seem that is no longer true. Paul wrote there is no difference between Jew and Gentile. Both have to believe the gospel of grace for entry to heaven. I understand that Messianic Jews of today are those Jews that are saved and believe as we do. I personally know several saved Jews. Only until after the tribulation will the surviving remnant of Israel believe that Jesus is the Messiah and come to establish His Kingdom -

Matthew 23:39 For I say unto you, Ye shall not see me henceforth, till ye shall say, Blessed is he that cometh in the name of the Lord. (KJV)

Were there two gospels at one time? Yes. Is the gospel of the kingdom being preached today? Absolutely not. The only gospel today is what Paul wrote of as: 'my gospel', which he clearly stated:

1 Corinthians 15:1-4 (KJV)
1 Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand;
2 By which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain.
3 For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures;
4 And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:

Reactions: marks

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Although I do not think that Christianity is lacking anything that would suggest a need to look at the Old Testament for any religious our cultural beliefs or attitudes, it still stands as to what brought us here. Christ did not only save us from our sins but also saved us from the Mosaic Law and Hell. Besides the religion and culture being extremely degrading and cruel to females, the Mosaic Law defined a culture of cruelty.

Hard, rough, and cruel times for sure. Some would say that the Mosaic Law was "working with" the cruelty of Man. But you do not see the Mosaic Law making it better.

Hmmm... I would disagree with you here, but I know you can be as quick-tempered as I am sometimes, so I think I'll wait to see of you want my response before giving it. Not a big deal, but I think ancient Judaism was of much greater worth than simply to show us the sins of man.

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hebrews 8:13 KJV
In that he saith, A new covenant, he hath made the first old. Now that which decayeth and waxeth old is ready to vanish away.

Yes, an old covenant. But the revelations being foreshadowed in the old and realized in the new are certainly worth meditating on, and this is clear from the New Testament writings.
Wine and wineskins. If you mix the new with the old you ruin both.

The old would have burst if they had tried to contain new. But new wineskins can fully contain the old.

Let me see how you deal with that answer. :)

Curtis

Apr 6, 2021
KC
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Apparently, I wasn't clear enough in what I wrote.

When I said the gospel of the Kingdom, my thoughts are that that gospel was preached only to the Jews at Jesus' instructions in Matthew and Mark - here's one example

Matthew 24:14 And this gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in all the world for a witness unto all nations; and then shall the end come. (KJV)

The only 'requirement' for entry into the kingdom at that point was their (the nation of Israel) belief that Jesus was the promised Messiah, exactly as Peter believed in Matthew 16:16-17. Nothing about Jesus' death, burial and resurrection as it was in the future. Even after His resurrection and ascension, that was still true for Israel. It was true, at a minimum, until after Paul was in Arabia and given revelation about the dispensation of grace and to go to Jew first, then the Gentiles.

Although the timing of when salvation by grace alone was revealed by the Holy Spirit to the other apostles is open to speculation, it's also open to speculation as to what they 'did with it'. Did they immediately switch from preaching Jesus is the Messiah to Jesus, the Son of God and Messiah, died for their sins, was buried, and rose again on the 3rd day according to scripture...eg, the gospel per 1 Corinthians 15:1-4)? If that were true, then James, Peter, and John would have written about His shed blood for sin in their epistles, wouldn't they? If it's there, I have yet to find it.

So when -did- the door 'close' regarding Jews faith that Jesus was the Messiah be all that was necessary for entry into the Kingdom? On a national basis, at the destruction of the temple in 70 AD. That is also considered by most as the end date of the dispensation of the law, although Jews still follow the Mosaic law as much as practical since then...no animal sacrifices for sin, no stoning people to death, etc. Is Judaism therefore a 'false' religion these days? Of course not. But as Paul wrote, the law only condemns, but faith in Jesus' shed blood is the only way to Heaven since it was revealed to Paul.

Romans 3:19-25 (KJV)
19 Now we know that what things soever the law saith, it saith to them who are under the law: that every mouth may be stopped, and all the world may become guilty before God.
20 Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight: for by the law is the knowledge of sin.
21 But now the righteousness of God without the law is manifested, being witnessed by the law and the prophets;
22 Even the righteousness of God which is by faith of Jesus Christ unto all and upon all them that believe: for there is no difference:
23 For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;
24 Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus:
25 Whom God hath set forth to be a propitiation through faith in his blood, to declare his righteousness for the remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God;

Was there an overlap of dispensations that Jews could believe that Jesus was the Messiah as the way to Heaven OR they could believe Jesus shed blood paid for their sins, etc? I certainly think so. Until 70 AD, the law was still in full effect, the temple was still in operation as normal, sacrifices were still being made, etc. Considering they didn't have 'instant communication' like we do today, covering all of Israel by foot for the disciples and apostles, even if they were preaching shed blood, would take years and years to accomplish. Hence, the overlap of law and grace.

But what about after 70 AD? Will Jews belief that Jesus is the Messiah (plus nothing) still be sufficient to get to heaven? It would certainly seem that is no longer true. Paul wrote there is no difference between Jew and Gentile. Both have to believe the gospel of grace for entry to heaven. I understand that Messianic Jews of today are those Jews that are saved and believe as we do. I personally know several saved Jews. Only until after the tribulation will the surviving remnant of Israel believe that Jesus is the Messiah and come to establish His Kingdom -

Matthew 23:39 For I say unto you, Ye shall not see me henceforth, till ye shall say, Blessed is he that cometh in the name of the Lord. (KJV)

Were there two gospels at one time? Yes. Is the gospel of the kingdom being preached today? Absolutely not. The only gospel today is what Paul wrote of as: 'my gospel', which he clearly stated:

1 Corinthians 15:1-4 (KJV)
1 Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand;
2 By which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain.
3 For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures;
4 And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:

Your 1 Corinthians 15 quote says the gospel is the death burial and resurrection of Jesus - the exact thing Paul preached to the Jews in synagogues, and preached by Peter when the church started in Acts 2.

And Jesus preached salvation by faith in Him, same thing Paul preached to the jailer in Acts 16, not only that, but all the Jews knew the Isaiah 53 prophecy that messiah would be cut off in death for our sins, so believing in Jesus as a Jew involved believing He is the messiah who would atone for their sins.

They weren’t saved any differently than the jailer in Acts 16.

So there was no switchover for the gospel of the kingdom. Jesus preached to the Jews that faith in Him was necessary for salvation, per John 3, and Paul and James taught the same thing Jesus did, as proven by the fact that Paul preached both grace and the kingdom together.

The wrong doctrine that there were two different paths of destiny or of salvation for Jew and gentile is disproven, because if true, Paul would never have preached the kingdom.

The post-resurrection church started in Acts 2, and 3,000 were added to the church on Pentecost from Peter preaching that Jesus is messiah, that He died and rose again - the very same thing Paul preached in the synagogues- and later when Paul was called to be the apostle to the gentiles, he didn’t change what he preached.

You don’t have to hear the word grace to be saved. The jailer in Acts 16 was told to believe in Jesus s and be saved. He did believe and was saved without hearing the terms THE GOSPEL or GRACE.

BTW we aren’t saved by grace - we are saved THROUGH FAITH and our faith is how we access grace. When people quote ‘saved by grace’ they are leaving out the way we get grace.

Rom 5:2 By whom also we have access by faith into this grace wherein we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God.

And gospel means good news, not salvation - the good news is the death burial and resurrection of Jesus for our sins - but that good news by itself saves no one.

It’s faith IN the death burial and resurrection of Jesus for our sins that saves.

Maranatha

Last edited: