ESV Bible says Sodom will suffer "ETERNAL" fire but ESV Bible also says Sodom will be restored

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
St. SteVen said:

Why would there be a need for repentance at that time?
What is actually being turned away from? (or toward)
Off the top of my head: The fire always burns, but when we repent, we come out of the fire.
Yes, In this lifetime, but we were talking about the afterlife. Here's your quote below that I was responding to.
There is a need for repentance, I believe, because sin gets us into trouble. And that would be what we are turning away from: Sin.
Seems to me that the needful thing in the afterlife is a proper confession/acknowledgement that Jesus is Lord.
Repentance, at that point seems meaningless? There is no earthly life to turn away from.
Some Christians confuse repentance and confession. Not the same thing.

Anyone who has knees to bow and a tongue to speak, in heaven and on earth and under the earth (in the realm of the dead), will whole-heartedly, and without reservation, acknowledge that Jesus Christ is Lord. No one can say that “Jesus is Lord,” except by the Holy Spirit. If you declare with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” you will be saved. Christ died and returned to life so that he might be the Lord of both the dead and the living. (the reason for the bodily resurrection) Scriptural support below.

Philippians 2:10-11
that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow,
in heaven and on earth and under the earth,
11 and every tongue acknowledge that Jesus Christ is Lord,
to the glory of God the Father.

1 Corinthians 12:3
Therefore I want you to know that no one who is speaking by the Spirit of God says, “Jesus be cursed,” and no one can say, “Jesus is Lord,” except by the Holy Spirit.

Romans 10:9
If you declare with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart
that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.

Romans 14:9
For this very reason, Christ died and returned to life so that
he might be the Lord of both the dead and the living.

Note on "acknowledge" in Philippians 2:11 from Strong's Concordance
S1843 eksomologéō (from 1537 /ek, "wholly out from," intensifying 3670 /homologéō, "say the same thing about") – properly, fully agree and to acknowledge that agreement openly (whole-heartedly); hence, to confess ("openly declare"), without reservation (no holding back).

Further reading: Isaiah 45:23; Romans 14:11; Revelation 15:4

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
St. SteVen said:

Why would there be a need for repentance at that time?
What is actually being turned away from? (or toward)

Yes, In this lifetime, but we were talking about the afterlife. Here's your quote below that I was responding to.

Seems to me that the needful thing in the afterlife is a proper confession/acknowledgement that Jesus is Lord.
Repentance, at that point seems meaningless? There is no earthly life to turn away from.
Some Christians confuse repentance and confession. Not the same thing.

Anyone who has knees to bow and a tongue to speak, in heaven and on earth and under the earth (in the realm of the dead), will whole-heartedly, and without reservation, acknowledge that Jesus Christ is Lord. No one can say that “Jesus is Lord,” except by the Holy Spirit. If you declare with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” you will be saved. Christ died and returned to life so that he might be the Lord of both the dead and the living. (the reason for the bodily resurrection) Scriptural support below.

Philippians 2:10-11
that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow,
in heaven and on earth and under the earth,
11 and every tongue acknowledge that Jesus Christ is Lord,
to the glory of God the Father.

1 Corinthians 12:3
Therefore I want you to know that no one who is speaking by the Spirit of God says, “Jesus be cursed,” and no one can say, “Jesus is Lord,” except by the Holy Spirit.

Romans 10:9
If you declare with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart
that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.

Romans 14:9
For this very reason, Christ died and returned to life so that
he might be the Lord of both the dead and the living.

Note on "acknowledge" in Philippians 2:11 from Strong's Concordance
S1843 eksomologéō (from 1537 /ek, "wholly out from," intensifying 3670 /homologéō, "say the same thing about") – properly, fully agree and to acknowledge that agreement openly (whole-heartedly); hence, to confess ("openly declare"), without reservation (no holding back).

Further reading: Isaiah 45:23; Romans 14:11; Revelation 15:4
I doubt if sin is allowed in heaven.

rwb

Nov 11, 2022
Branson
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why the contradiction?

Jude 1:7 esv
just as Sodom and Gomorrah and the surrounding cities, which likewise indulged in sexual immorality and pursued unnatural desire, serve as an example by undergoing a punishment of eternal fire.

Ezekiel 16:53 esv
“I will restore their fortunes, both the fortunes of Sodom and her daughters, and the fortunes of Samaria and her daughters, and I will restore your own fortunes in their midst,

What's the contradiction here?

BlessedPeace

Aug 22, 2023
Bend
akiane.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why not both rather than thinking it must be either,or?

Hell,eternal fire,awaits the damned of Sodom and Gomorrah. While as we see in just America, the many sins,including but not exclusively homosexuality, are restored in cities across the globe.

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why not both rather than thinking it must be either,or?

Hell,eternal fire,awaits the damned of Sodom and Gomorrah. While as we see in just America, the many sins,including but not exclusively homosexuality, are restored in cities across the globe.
Why would Sodom have to endure eternal fire twice?
Wasn't once enough?

/

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
To answer that let me ask you first, what were the sins of Sodom and Gomorrah?
Don't forget Gomorrah.
I would like to answer that. It is a assumed that homosexuality was the main crime but having considered the account, I think it was over the top violence.

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
To answer that let me ask you first, what were the sins of Sodom and Gomorrah?
Don't forget Gomorrah.
Seems to be a bit controversy surrounding that question.
The traditional response was homosexuality. But more recently there is the charge of in-hospitality.
Which seems to not warrant brimstone pouring forth from the sky, ???
Actually, I'm not convinced that homosexuality warrants it either.
And it certainly didn't put an end to it.

/

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I would like to answer that. It is assumed that homosexuality was the main crime but having considered the account, I think it was over the top violence.

Yes, this is true, over the top violence was a part of the reasons, but the desire of the men of the town, where Lot lived, to homosexually rape the visiting angels was also a common problem. The account in the Book of Jasher about Sodom and Gomorrah bears out the violence within these town that God could not overlook.

Shalom

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why the contradiction?

Jude 1:7 esv
just as Sodom and Gomorrah and the surrounding cities, which likewise indulged in sexual immorality and pursued unnatural desire, serve as an example by undergoing a punishment of eternal fire.

Ezekiel 16:53 esv
“I will restore their fortunes, both the fortunes of Sodom and her daughters, and the fortunes of Samaria and her daughters, and I will restore your own fortunes in their midst,
The error is not in the bible but in your understanding. Jude is speaking of the people of ancient Sodom and Gomorrah, while Ezekiel is speaking of the cities(physical and geographical).