"Faith without works is dead"

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

JPPT1974

Flowers of May
Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 23, 2012
East TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Indeed need to have faith in God!

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The only thing I would like to say here is God never caused the storm, satan did.

Ally, I was ready to bombard you with all the verses that prove you right and then also prove you wrong which leaves you with a contradiction. Crushing your faith is no where near what He wants.

Revelation 12:16-17 KJV
[16] And the earth helped the woman, and the earth opened her mouth, and swallowed up the flood which the dragon cast out of his mouth. [17] And the dragon was wroth with the woman, and went to make war with the remnant of her seed, which keep the commandments of God, and have the testimony of Jesus Christ.

Isaiah 45:7-8 KJV
[7] I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the Lord do all these things . [8] Drop down, ye heavens, from above, and let the skies pour down righteousness: let the earth open, and let them bring forth salvation, and let righteousness spring up together; I the Lord have created it.

Romans 13:4 KJV
[4] For he is the minister of God to thee for good.

God is good and He does love you. As the saying goes (I don't know if the saying came from His word or man but): God will move heaven and earth for you to see His love.

Last edited:

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Instead of starting a new thread, I’m visiting an old one. Once again returning to “faith without works is dead.”

John 10:32-38
[32] Jesus answered them, Many good works have I shewed you from my Father; for which of those works do ye stone me? [33] The Jews answered him, saying, For a good work we stone thee not; but for blasphemy; and because that thou, being a man, makest thyself God. [34] Jesus answered them, Is it not written in your law, I said, Ye are gods? [35] If he called them gods, unto whom the word of God came, and the scripture cannot be broken; [36] Say ye of him, whom the Father hath sanctified, and sent into the world, Thou blasphemest; because I said, I am the Son of God? [37] If I do not the works of my Father, believe me not.

38 “But if I do, though ye believe not me, believe the works: that ye may know, and believe, that the Father is in me, and I in him.”

"Though you believe not me, believe the works: that you may know, and believe"

That is astonishing to me: Jesus Christ, the Son of God is saying “though you believe not me...believe the works”

James 2:18-20
[18] Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: shew me thy faith without thy works, and —I will shew thee my faith by my works.—19] Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble. [20] But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead?

John 14:9-14
[9] Jesus saith unto him, Have I been so long time with you, and yet hast thou not known me, Philip? he that hath seen me hath seen the Father; and how sayest thou then , Shew us the Father? [10] Believest thou not that I am in the Father, and the Father in me? the words that I speak unto you I speak not of myself: —but the Father that dwelleth in me, he doeth the works.— [11] —Believe me that I am in the Father, and the Father in me: or else believe me for the very works' sake.— [12] Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father. [13] And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son. [14] If ye shall ask any thing in my name, I will do it.

“Greater works than these shall he do”—what are these greater works??? That show the Father is in us?

“that the Father may be glorified” through the works of the Father.

John 3:21
[21] But he that doeth truth cometh to the light, that his deeds may be made manifest, that they are wrought in God.

Last edited:

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Instead of starting a new thread, I’m visiting an old one. Once again returning to “faith without works is dead.”

John 10:32-38
[32] Jesus answered them, Many good works have I shewed you from my Father; for which of those works do ye stone me? [33] The Jews answered him, saying, For a good work we stone thee not; but for blasphemy; and because that thou, being a man, makest thyself God. [34] Jesus answered them, Is it not written in your law, I said, Ye are gods? [35] If he called them gods, unto whom the word of God came, and the scripture cannot be broken; [36] Say ye of him, whom the Father hath sanctified, and sent into the world, Thou blasphemest; because I said, I am the Son of God? [37] If I do not the works of my Father, believe me not.

38 “But if I do, though ye believe not me, believe the works: that ye may know, and believe, that the Father is in me, and I in him.”

"Though you believe not me, believe the works: that you may know, and believe"

That is astonishing to me: Jesus Christ, the Son of God is saying “though you believe not me...believe the works”

James 2:18-20
[18] Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: shew me thy faith without thy works, and —I will shew thee my faith by my works.—19] Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble. [20] But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead?

John 14:9-14
[9] Jesus saith unto him, Have I been so long time with you, and yet hast thou not known me, Philip? he that hath seen me hath seen the Father; and how sayest thou then , Shew us the Father? [10] Believest thou not that I am in the Father, and the Father in me? the words that I speak unto you I speak not of myself: —but the Father that dwelleth in me, he doeth the works.— [11] —Believe me that I am in the Father, and the Father in me: or else believe me for the very works' sake.— [12] Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father. [13] And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son. [14] If ye shall ask any thing in my name, I will do it.

“Greater works than these shall he do”—what are these greater works??? That show the Father is in us?
If the works done are godly, why should we not believe them? In the case of Jesus we would all likely at least give lip service to saying they are godly. But it is someone else we know today in our day to day activities or some of those on this forum who has at times rubbed us the wrong way, how quickly would we be to give them a "like" or a favorable remark for the good work or words they have posted now? Would we allow our preconceived notions or biases stop us from replying or replaying honestly? All of might say deny the truth, but then in our hearts what is the truth that God has revealed to us?

Reactions: VictoryinJesus

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I like the use of the terms “position” and “condition”( our walk) to help explain the Christians relation to God we then understand better the status concerning fellowship with Him in Christ.
Positionally, Christians are “as He is” 1 John 4:17
Conditionally, we have a sin nature Gal 5:17 and a “new nature" Eph 4:24 ... Col 3:10, but even though the sin nature still affects us and cannot be avoided - we are to 'reckon it dead ', we don't live after or “in” the sin nature Rom 8:9..

This bring us back to "In Christ" or not! ( who's works)
No works that 'we' do are worth anything. Jesus said " Of myself I can do nothing. " Jesus Himself did no works...He shows clearly that the works were the Fathers, not His.
Same with us. " Doing works " can be a trap.
I believe if they do not flow effortlessly through inner love...then they are 'our works' and not His. Abiding in the Vine...fruit grows...
Good works and good fruit are one and the same.

Sadly we still sin due to the sin nature but it’s “no longer I,” for I am in my new nature in Christ.

In our condition we still sin, but much more importantly, in our position we stand “spotless” ! Eph 5:27; 2 Pet 3:14
Where we are, in our condition is what the Father uses to glorify Himself.
Mat 5:16.
Who we are in our position empowers us and moves us in love to serve.

Okay, "for me" in my life there has been a lot of dead works. We were told as young Christians " You ought do do this and you ought to do that"...all dead works. When I finally 'grew up and matured somewhat, I knew that only the works done by "the hearing ear" are the works of God flowing through us. = Good works, good fruit.
Our Master only did what His Father led Him to do...should we be any different.
Don't fall into the trap of " Ought-ism" Lots of Christians are more than willing to tell others what they ought to do...be it giving, witnessing, praying, or whatever. Without the Spirit leading, they are dead.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
For whoever has, more will be given to him, and he will have more than enough. But whoever does not have, even what he has will be taken away from him.

Reactions: amadeus

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Good post @VictoryinJesus,
Yes only He can remove our sins as far as the East is to the West
Psalm 103:12
as far as the east is from the west,
so far has he removed our transgressions from us.

“I Will Remember Your Sins No More” HEBREWS 8:12 <----now, got to say...I have had a hard time forgetting them, lol.

God Bless,
-nancy

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
"Yes only He can remove our sins as far as the East is to the West
Psalm 103:12
as far as the east is from the west,
so far has he removed our transgressions from us."

ha, a dialectic statement that actually has nothing to do with removing anyone's sin at all, yet still completely true on the surface.
This is sublime writing, that anticipates the likely pov of the reader enough to make a surface statement that reads...just well enough to make logical sense, while imparting directions to be followed that verify Scripture in other places once read dialectically, ref "East" and/or "facing East" etc.