Flesh VS Spirit

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
ROFL

Not "has to first," but "will after." - receive the Spirit. It is not we have to first stop sinning to receive Christ and the Spirit. NO! We can do nothing without Christ. But AFTER we receive the Spirit we WILL STOP SINNING.

Yes, Paul is saying a person will stop sinning, but only if they have the Spirit and not just the LAW. And so does John, and Jude. 1 John 3:4-9; Jude 1:4 speaks against your doctrine that we will keep sinning. It is you who sees nothing different in their nature.

Romans 7 is about the LAW trying to be kept while we were yet sinners. Sin was the problem. We've been freed from the law by becoming freed from SIN.

Romans 7:5-6 5 For when we were in the flesh, (Romans 8:9 says we are not in the flesh anymore but in the Spirit) the sinful passions which were aroused by the law were at work in our members to bear fruit to death. 6 But now we have been delivered from the law, having died to what we were held by, so that we should serve in the newness of the Spirit and not in the oldness of the letter.

7 What shall we say then? Is the law sin? Certainly not! On the contrary, I would not have known sin except through the law. For I would not have known covetousness unless the law had said, “You shall not covet.” 8 But sin, taking opportunity by the commandment, produced in me all manner of evil desire. For apart from the law sin was dead. 9 I was alive once without the law, but when the commandment came, sin revived and I died. 10 And the commandment, which was to bring life, I found to bring death. 11 For sin, taking occasion by the commandment, deceived me, and by it killed me. 12 Therefore the law is holy, and the commandment holy and just and good.

13 Has then what is good become death to me? Certainly not! But sin, that it might appear sin, was producing death in me through what is good, so that sin through the commandment might become exceedingly sinful.

Verse 9 said, 9 I was alive once without the law, but when the commandment came, sin revived and I died. Paul is talking about mankind, not, presently. The commandment came on Mt. Sinai! Was Paul alive then?

Romans 7 is about the LAW OF SIN AND DEATH! - trying to be kept in our own strength.
Romans 8:2 For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has made me free from the law of sin and death. The Spirit working through us.

Why Don’t Christians Stop Sinning Completely?

soul man

Jan 6, 2018
Fletcher
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

NO !!!!, That idea is just what the religious use to try and harmonize their idea that Paul is saying a person has to stop sinning. There is absolutely nothing in Romans 7 that says it was his past conclusions. Only man says that. I can post the entire chapter if you wish to say it is.

What the religious do is use chapter 8 to negate chapter 7. That is because they do not see any difference in their nature.

What would you say Richard to Paul saying he was "alive without the law" at one time, as far as we know Paul was never without the law

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Non-denominational.

There is no such thing as pure "non"-denominational. I hate that term; it is a lie. That would mean you are ALL denominational, and nothing separates you from other Christians. But that doesn't show in your posts. You have separated yourself. You do not believe some of the foundational truths of Christianity, such as Jesus was manifest to take away our sins, and in Him there is no sin. And there are denominations, or trains of thought that you do seem to fit in, such as one of the Protestant denominations that do not believe that core scripture, especially from the Reformation. So what foundational truths about SIN do you believe, and the scriptural backup to prove your position? Make sure you use scripture IN CONTEXT, and not passages that seem to back up your position, but actually mean the opposite. Those that do that have turned the grace of God into licentiousness Jude 1:4

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What would you say Richard to Paul saying he was "alive without the law" at one time, as far as we know Paul was never without the law

Exactly! Paul wasn't alive at the time of Moses when the law "came."

The problem with those who glance over pertinent parts of scripture and find what they want to see is they are always learning, but never come to a knowledge of the truth. Here in Romans 7:9, they regard Paul's use of present tense "I" as to mean Romans 7 is while Paul was a Christian, and not before as a Pharisee when all he had was the Law without the Spirit.

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is no such thing as pure "non"-denominational. I hate that term; it is a lie. That would mean you are ALL denominational, and nothing separates you from other Christians. But that doesn't show in your posts. You have separated yourself. You do not believe some of the foundational truths of Christianity, such as Jesus was manifest to take away our sins, and in Him there is no sin. And there are denominations, or trains of thought that you do seem to fit in, such as one of the Protestant denominations that do not believe that core scripture, especially from the Reformation. So what foundational truths about SIN do you believe, and the scriptural backup to prove your position? Make sure you use scripture IN CONTEXT, and not passages that seem to back up your position, but actually mean the opposite. Those that do that have turned the grace of God into licentiousness Jude 1:4

I meant member of none.

Verses have already been posted where Paul condemns division.

soul man

Jan 6, 2018
Fletcher
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Exactly! Paul wasn't alive at the time of Moses when the law "came."

The problem with those who glance over pertinent parts of scripture and find what they want to see is they are always learning, but never come to a knowledge of the truth. Here in Romans 7:9, they regard Paul's use of present tense "I" as to mean Romans 7 is while Paul was a Christian, and not before as a Pharisee when all he had was the Law without the Spirit.

Paul uses Romans 7 to show humanity the sin nature and the cure. He uses the law of marriage to show we could not free ourselves from our nature, it took another, even Christ to do that.
If we watch his language in the beginning of Romans 7 we can see he is showing the sin nature because he says "now we are free to marry another, even Christ."
This is also where you find out the sin nature is killed out, you have to be in Christ of course, but that nature is dead in Christ on the cross and we have a new nature. The struggle Christians have now will be in soul/mind not spirit, this is a great deception for some believers.
The only one ever to live without the law was Adam, and then the commandment came. Paul being born again now, could look back and see what caused himself and all humanity their troubles. The sin nature was contrary to the law, and the mind was used to obey God or the law He gave, and override the sin nature. When the sin nature has total and complete control this is what paul calls a reprobate mind. So the law was given so this wouldn't happen.
This is good news for Christians because as bad as it looks sometimes, there are no reprobates in Christ.