Getting out of the : "sin confessing and repenting" trap.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You cannot give an answer to my question,
-Can you have faith only and not get baptized for the only purpose of proving faith alone saves?
Matthew 28:20,
- teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you...
You can call Jesus a legalist on judgment day, since He binds all of His law on His people.
What kind of a loaded question is that? See posts #116 and #122. Jesus is not a legalist, but works-salvationists are. Faith in Christ alone saves (Romans 4:5-6) which is not to be confused with "faith only" per James 2:24, which is an empty profession of faith/dead faith that remains barren of works. (James 2:14)

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
None of self and all of thee.
That's the Hymn we sing since I was a little baby.
It would mean something if legalism actually meant something.
Its completely subjective, you are a legalist in other denominations like Hyper grace churches.
Repentance is a work that your church includes.
You therefore can be called a legalist because you bind law, 1John 3:23-24; Acts 17:30-31.
I know none of you faith onlyist's will stop all works and just use your faith alone to get to heaven.
You really dont have enough faith in your faith alone to prove you really believe you can get to heaven by disobeying God. At least the commandments your church thinks you should do.
Try not tithing in your church and see what your pastor says?
Ask him if you cannot do the work of giving and still,be saved, 1Corinthians 16:1-2 ; 2Corinthians 9:7
non of the self and all of thee

why would you then add self (the righteous act of being baptized in water) to God as payment for your sins?

Repentance is not a work. It is God changing our minds. Remember what Jesus said when the people asked him what work they must perform. He said it is the work of God that we believe.

Its Gods work in and through us not our own.

Legalism is a term which speaks of those who reject Titus 3.

For titus 3 says it is not by works of righteousness which we have done (water baptism is a work of righteousness) but by his mercy, he saved us.

I was saved by God. I can;t save myself. Nor wil I ever be able to.

My works are a result of salvation. Not a feeble attempt to save myself

Reactions: mailmandan

strepho

Jan 31, 2023
Meriden
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No. It's the difference between a sinner and habitual lifestyles of sin. We're in the flesh ,we will sin. Jesus was crucified for Christians to have faith and repentance of sins to God. habitual sinners don't care. And the holy spirit is needed to convict person of sin, to repent. Epistle John 3:6. Who so ever abides in Him sins not; who so ever sins hath not seen Him; neither known Him. 3:8. He that commits sin is of the devil; for the devil sins from the beginning. 3:9. Who so ever is born of God does not commit sin; No one has license to sin. A Christian from time to time must repent sins to God. The flesh body is sinful. The flip side of the coin. The habitual sinners don't care. What's a example of habitual lifestyles of sin. How about habitual lying. Druggies or drunkards. Stealing. Sowing discord. Plotting evil. Bribery. Occult. False brethren. List goes on. The habitual sinners are children of darkness. Get the picture. Romans chapter 6, your either servant of righteousness or servant of sin.

Titus

Feb 5, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Repentance is not a work. It is God changing our minds. Remember what Jesus said when the people asked him what work they must perform. He said it is the work of God that we believe
Quote: "It is God changing our minds"
We play no part in our repentance?
God changes our minds?
Does God change our minds to repent and we dont change our minds by our own freewill?

Sounds exactly like calvinistic determinism.
That is what you have been taught whether you know it or not.

If you are right Eternally Grateful then here is the consequences of your theology.

If we do not by our own will change our minds, stop sinning, repentance.
We are only passive and God is working the work alone.

Then who is at fault when mankind does not repent?
You are making God guilty for every person that does not repent because God does the work of repentance in us. We as you claim do no work of repentance only God.

Therefore all that do not repent are Gods fault not mans.

You are only partly correct.
Repentance is the work of God.
But we must work the works of God.

We are accountable for not repenting because we must obey God and willfully repent.
We are guilty if we do not repent, God is not guilty.

How does God work repentance in us?
By teaching us to not sin and commanding us to turn from our sins.
This teaching comes from His word.
Therefore God works repentance in us through teaching us about repentance through His word.

We would not know to repent if God had not taught us through His word.
His gospel is His work.

Acts 17:30-31,
- Truly these times of ignorance God overlooked, but now commandeth all men everywhere to repent.

Remember You must work the works of God.
YOU COMPLETELY LEFT THIS OUT OF YOUR TEACHING.
John 6:28-29,
Jesus answered this is the work of God that YOU believe

Jesus teaches we will work Gods works,
John 14:11-12,
- Believe Me that I am in the Father and the Father in Me, or else believe Me for the sake of the works themselves,
- Most assuredly I say to you, he who believes in Me, the works that I do he will do also; and greater works than these he will do, because I go to My Father

Repentance is a work.
Repentance is a work of God not a work of man.
Repentance is a work of God that we do.

That is the way the Bible speaks.
Believe it.

1Peter 4:11,
-if any man speak let him speak as the oracles of God.....

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
If man could stop sinning then there would be no need for Jesus to die on the cross for us.

One of the reasons that Jesus died on The Cross was to deliver you from sin consciousness and give you these.....

1.) "I can do all things Through Christ".
2.) "Christ always Gives me the Victory" over the world, your flesh, and the devil.

So, for you to believe that after you are saved, you are to live a sinning life exactly like an unbeliever, and the only difference is, that you feel guilty and they want more, proves that you have been taught some terrible deception about the role of "Christ in you", and your status as "One with God".
Did NetChaplin teach you that Cross Denying nonsense? He teaches that you are supposed to sin and confess. He teaches this anti-christian garbage on many "christian" forums., including this one.

Also, im assuming you are born again ,and not just a water baptized person who was lied to and told "the water washed your sin away".
So, if you are that one, then you are religious but you are not born again.

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
No. It's the difference between a sinner and habitual lifestyles of sin. We're in the flesh ,we will sin.

Actually, if you are born again, then what you posted is not true.

Listen to Paul.

""""""But ye are NOT IN THE FLESH, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his."""""

Now, if you are "fallen from Grace", as Paul teaches about the person who has broken faith, subverted faith, then in that case, you are "in the Flesh".

GISMYS_7

Jun 22, 2017
southern USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Romans: Chapter 10 verse 9-10-13 GOD SAYS=

If thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus,
and shalt believe in your heart that God hath raised him
from the dead, thou shalt be Saved. For with the heart man
believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession
is made unto Salvation. For whosoever shall call upon the
name of the Lord shall be Saved..

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
1 John 1:8, “If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.”

GISMYS_7.....

That one is for people who have sin..... Go now and read 1 John 3:9.... as that verse is for the born again.

The Born again dont have any sin, as you can't have any and be "in Christ". (all the born again).
The reason the Born again dont have any sin, is because "God hath made Jesus to be SIN for US"...

Why?

"""that we might be MADE = the righteousness of God in Christ"

Notice...>"The righteousness of GOD"...... Where?

Where is it??

= "IN CHRIST".......... is the "Righteousness of God" ......and who is "IN CHRIST" where the "righteousness of God"" is found? ??

A.) ALL the Born again.......are "in Christ".

So the next question is... Then why do we confess our sin?

Exactly.
Why do you, if Jesus has died for it all, and Romans 4:8 says God does not charge you with any, and 2 Corinthians 5:19 says the same?

Its because you dont understand the Cross or God's Grace or Salvation.
And that is because the person who taught you, didnt understand it.
its usually a "church", or a "denomination" you've been going to for a long time.

You also "confess" because that helps you out of your guilt trip.......most of all.

Time to leave it.
Truth is like that. IT demands that you get away from and stop believing what isn't TRUTH.

Last edited:

Titus

Feb 5, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
GISMYS_7.....

That one is for people who have sin..... Go now and read 1 John 3:9.... as that verse is for the born again.

The Born again dont have any sin, as you can't have any and be "in Christ". (all the born again).
The reason the Born again dont have any sin, is because "God hath made Jesus to be SIN for US"...

Why?

"""that we might be MADE = the righteousness of God in Christ"

Notice...>"The righteousness of GOD"...... Where?

Where is it??

= "IN CHRIST".......... is the "Righteousness of God" ......and who is "IN CHRIST" where the "righteousness of God"" is found? ??

A.) ALL the Born again.......are "in Christ".

So the next question is... Then why do we confess our sin?

Exactly.
Why do you, if Jesus has died for it all, and Romans 4:8 says God does not charge you with any, and 2 Corinthians 5:19 says the same?

Its because you dont understand the Cross or God's Grace or Salvation.
And that is because the person who taught you, didnt understand it.
its usually a "church", or a "denomination" you've been going to for a long time.

You also "confess" because that helps you out of your guilt trip.......most of all.!

Time to leave it.
Truth is like that. IT demands that you get away from and stop believing what isn't TRUTH.
So Peter was not born again when he sinned?
Galatians 2:11-14,
- Now when Peter had come to Antioch I withstood him to his face because he was to be blamed
for certain men came from James he would eat with gentiles but when they came he withdrew and seperated himself, fearing those who were of the circumcision.
And the rest of the Jews also played the hypocrite with Peter, so that even Barnabas was carried away with their hypocrisy.
But when I saw they were not straightforward about the truth of the gospel, I said to Peter before them all

Peter sinned while born again and Paul rebuked him.
The Holy Spirit rebuked Peter for his sin.
God does see the sins of those who are born again

Titus

Feb 5, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
James 5:16,
-Confess your TRESPASSES to one another and pray for one another that you may be healed the effective fervent prayer of a righteous man avails much.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
-Confess your TRESPASSES to one another and pray for one another that you may be healed the effective fervent prayer of a righteous man avails much.
How about "faults" instead of "trespasses"? The Greek word in the Received Text was replaced to make it look like the Catholic confessional is a valid practice. Christians must confess their sins to God and their faults to other Christians.

Titus

Feb 5, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
7How about "faults" instead of "trespasses"? The Greek word in the Received Text was replaced to make it look like the Catholic confessional is a valid practice. Christians must confess their sins to God and their faults to othe
Matthew 18:15 equates with James 5:16 sin is the act that is under consideration

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The Born again dont have any sin, as you can't have any and be "in Christ". (all the born again). The reason the Born again dont have any sin, is because "God hath made Jesus to be SIN for US"...
You want to be a teacher but you have absolutely no clue. If the born again "don't have any sin" it can mean either one of two things: (1) no Christian has been born again or (2) every believer is sinlessly perfect. Since both these conclusions are false, it means that you have no clue.

All Christians (including you) can and do sin. Why? Because God does not automatically erase "the flesh" (the sin nature). Therefore we have instructions in the first epistle of John to deal with present sins. If we say we have no sin then (1) we deceive ourselves and (2) we make God a liar. Which means that you are treading on dangerously thin ice my friend.

When God made Christ "SIN" for us it meant that Jesus became the Sin-Bearer as well as the sinless Substitute for the sins of the whole world. An entirely different issue.

Titus

Feb 5, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If your brother sins against you, Matthew 18:15,
- Moreover if your brother  sins against you, go and tell him His fault between you and him alone. If he hears you, you have gained your brother.
- and if he refuses to hear them tell it to the church but if he refuses even to hear the church let him be to you like a heathen and a tax collector.

Matthew 18:21,
- Then Peter came to Him and said, Lord how often shall my brother sin against me and I forgive him? Up to seven times seven?

Jesus tells Peter to forgive his brethren who sins against without measure.

The word fault and sin can be used interchangeably.
- Confess your faults/sins to one another, that you may be healed. The effective fervent prayer of a righteous man avails much.

Matthew 6:15,
- but if you do not forgive men their tresspasses neither will your Father forgive your tresspasses.

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
You want to be a teacher but you have absolutely no clue. If the born again "don't have any sin"

Just keep reading, as it can be that little by little you'll stop trying to save yourself with your works.
It can happen.

So, the reason the the born again have no sin, is here.

2 Corinthians 5:19

That verse is produced, literally, regarding all the born again, by the Cross of Christ, as Jesus is the "one time ETERNAL SACRIFICE for sin"..

Welcome to : REDEMPTION