Gluttony

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Alison_P

May 12, 2018
Melbourne
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I am currently dealing with Gluttony issues which has been going on since I became a teenager, I have a binge eating problem which has only gotten worse as I have got older and I don't know how to overcome it. I'm so used to doing this that i have become accustomed to it, I feel like I need more than prayers to overcome my Gluttony issues, i'm not sure if this sin comes in other forms other than eating too much food but all it's doing is making me lazy,gaining weight and feeling insecure about myself, I am also really concerned that I will be sent to Hell because of my binge eating problem. I am also suffering with some sloth (laziness) issues as well and I don't know what to do.

Deborah_

Jun 7, 2015
Swansea, Wales
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Alison.
Sanctification (the process of becoming holy, like Christ) is a slow process. No-one is expected to achieve instant perfection. We all have persistent tendencies towards sin, but we won't be 'sent to Hell' because of them. "If anybody does sin, we have an Advocate with the Father - Jesus Christ, the Righteous One. He is the atoning sacrifice for our sins." (I John 2:1,2)
There are many Christians who are burdened with certain sinful tendencies throughout their lives. Have you seen your pastor/minister about your problem, or a Christian counsellor? Have you sought medical advice? There's no quick or easy answer (as you well know); there are some books written by other people who have had the same problem that you might find helpful.

Reactions: Willie T

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I am currently dealing with Gluttony issues which has been going on since I became a teenager, I have a binge eating problem which has only gotten worse as I have got older and I don't know how to overcome it. I'm so used to doing this that i have become accustomed to it, I feel like I need more than prayers to overcome my Gluttony issues, i'm not sure if this sin comes in other forms other than eating too much food but all it's doing is making me lazy,gaining weight and feeling insecure about myself, I am also really concerned that I will be sent to Hell because of my binge eating problem. I am also suffering with some sloth (laziness) issues as well and I don't know what to do.
Alison, there is a 12 Step program called Overeaters Anonymous, you may have heard of them?
The chances are you will find them useful and supportive if you are serious on beating this addiction.
A google search will find meetings not far away from where you are and accessible by public transport if not walking distance.

Reactions: aspen and bbyrd009

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
Alison, there is a 12 Step program called Overeaters Anonymous, you may have heard of them?
The chances are you will find them useful and supportive if you are serious on beating this addiction.
A google search will find meetings not far away from where you are and accessible by public transport if not walking distance.
prolly a good idea if you can't fast on your own

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I understand gluttony - that is for sure. You just cannot give up surrendering your will to overindulge. Finding new ways to soothe yourself rther than your go to, destructive habit is the best way to continue moving forward.

I had a recent episode of despair concerning gluttony and i had to surrender my will - it was not easy and it still isn’t, but I know everyday i do not use my ‘go to’ habit is a victory.

I rely on a 12 step program, as well

I am praying for you and asking you for prayer.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I am also suffering with some sloth (laziness) issues as well and I don't know what to do.
Are you ready for a simply, strict, and no-nonsense solution?

1. If you are in a home with other people (family, friends, etc) ask one of them to become your official Monitor and Enforcer.

2. Which means that they will control your intake at meal times, and lock up everything else! You get to eat only what's good for you, and that too in extremely limited quantities (with unlimited water).

3. Then when you become a couch potato, ask them to give you a swift kick in the rear, and send you out to mow the lawn or shovel the snow. And don't take offence. Indeed give your Monitor a dollar (or ten) for each time you are made to move out of your comfort zone.

Pretty soon you will become a different person, but your piggy bank will suffer.

Reactions: Willie T

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Are you ready for a simply, strict, and no-nonsense solution?

1. If you are in a home with other people (family, friends, etc) ask one of them to become your official Monitor and Enforcer.

2. Which means that they will control your intake at meal times, and lock up everything else! You get to eat only what's good for you, and that too in extremely limited quantities (with unlimited water).

3. Then when you become a couch potato, ask them to give you a swift kick in the rear, and send you out to mow the lawn or shovel the snow. And don't take offence. Indeed give your Monitor a dollar (or ten) for each time you are made to move out of your comfort zone.

Pretty soon you will become a different person, but your piggy bank will suffer.
For a fact, if we don't "really" want to change, we won't.