God as heavenly parent - the dysfunctional view we inherited

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No human parent is perfect. (obviously)
Even if we nominated one, they would probably decline the designation. (in humbleness)

What about our heavenly parent, God the Father?

I love this parenthetical found in the Amplified Bible, Classic Edition (see bold)

Ephesians 3:14-15 AMPC
"For this reason [[a]seeing the greatness of this plan by which you are built together in Christ],
I bow my knees before the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ,
15 For Whom every family in heaven and on earth is named
[that Father from Whom all fatherhood takes its title and derives its name]."

In a recent topic title I asked:

Does God care more for himself than he cares for us?​

In the Op I wrote this:

"The way some Christians talk about God, you would think so.

They tell us we are unacceptable to God. That it is only with great difficulty that God loves and tolerates us.

The image of a God that is disappointed with us, because we don't measure up. Shakes His head when he sees us

An unreasonable expectation that we can never meet. Not accepted for who we are, or where we are at

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This is not what I see in God. I see a loving heavenly Father

His kids are always welcome in his lap. He's intensely interested in them

He puts everything aside to listen to them. He glories in their presence

Can hardly wait to see them again when they return. Delights in them

There is a line down the center of this post, Which side of the line are you on? Top, or bottom?"

Link to topic.

So, this new topic is an extension of that previous topic, but with the focus on God as our heavenly parent.

How does your view of parenting, or of a father effect your view of God?
If we are modeling godly parenting, our children should have a healthy view of our heavenly parent.

I'm thankful that I have a good relationship with my adult children.
But this meant owning up to some things that went wrong early on.
Fortunately, I have found that children are very willing to forgive. (in my case)
So, when I swallowed my pride, they met me more than halfway.

I want to hear from others about how they view this subject.
- What is your view of parenting?
- What is your view of our heavenly parent?
- How did/does your view of your own parents effect your view of God as Father?
- Have you projected the image of a dysfunctional parent on your heavenly parent?

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
No human parent is perfect. (obviously)
Even if we nominated one, they would probably decline the designation. (in humbleness)

What about our heavenly parent, God the Father?

I love this parenthetical found in the Amplified Bible, Classic Edition (see bold)

Ephesians 3:14-15 AMPC
"For this reason [[a]seeing the greatness of this plan by which you are built together in Christ],
I bow my knees before the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ,
15 For Whom every family in heaven and on earth is named
[that Father from Whom all fatherhood takes its title and derives its name]."

In a recent topic title I asked:

Does God care more for himself than he cares for us?​

In the Op I wrote this:

"The way some Christians talk about God, you would think so.

They tell us we are unacceptable to God. That it is only with great difficulty that God loves and tolerates us.

The image of a God that is disappointed with us, because we don't measure up. Shakes His head when he sees us

An unreasonable expectation that we can never meet. Not accepted for who we are, or where we are at

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This is not what I see in God. I see a loving heavenly Father

His kids are always welcome in his lap. He's intensely interested in them

He puts everything aside to listen to them. He glories in their presence

Can hardly wait to see them again when they return. Delights in them

There is a line down the center of this post, Which side of the line are you on? Top, or bottom?"

Link to topic.

So, this new topic is an extension of that previous topic, but with the focus on God as our heavenly parent.

How does your view of parenting, or of a father effect your view of God?
If we are modeling godly parenting, our children should have a healthy view of our heavenly parent.

I'm thankful that I have a good relationship with my adult children.
But this meant owning up to some things that went wrong early on.
Fortunately, I have found that children are very willing to forgive. (in my case)
So, when I swallowed my pride, they met me more than halfway.

I want to hear from others about how they view this subject.
- Have you projected the image of a dysfunctional parent on your heavenly parent?
Great post. Check out this:

Reactions: St. SteVen

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Seems to me this dysfunctional view of God emanates from the non-Biblical notion that God will damn us to a fiery hell to suffer for all eternity.

Truth is "hell" is a holding location until Judgement Day. There is no eternal suffering but for the damned, there is complete annhiliation in the Lake of Fire, aka Second Death.

I reject the notion that God through Jesus judges us for our sins in a demonstration surpassing Solomon's wisdom of splitting the baby. Rather, I believe we are judged BY our sins. Said differently, lip service will not breach the gates of heaven. The evidence of our guilt on our soul is as plain as a hideously obese women being guilty of gluttony.

Getting back to our loving Father. He does not want this for us. He wants us with him. But this is our choice. We don't get to choose being with him. We get to choose to follow his laws, commands, regulations, etc. Each choice leaves a mark on our soul as much as a lifetime of over-eating does, if not more so. How can anyone deny their guilt when the evidence is shown in the soul? Did we truly accept Jesus to cover our sins as our lord and savior or was that merely lip service? That evidence is there too for all to see.

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Surprising to hear a SDA minister preach on this text. 2 Corinthians 3:7-18
I'll hear him out and then comment.
I like his view of the Father. Perhaps that's why you shared this with us?

Also what he said about God's refrigerator with our picture on it. - LOL

I had no concerns with what said about 2 Corinthians 3:7-18.

Thanks for sharing.

What stood out to you in this sermon?

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel

Some people should not have children.

Some people are exceptional parents.

Unconditional love and eternal acceptance, through Christ.

The earthly Male Parent > Child relationship, has a lot of future impact regarding how a believer understand's God's acceptance of them.

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Seems to me this dysfunctional view of God emanates from the non-Biblical notion that God will damn us to a fiery hell to suffer for all eternity.
Yes.
And unfortunately, some earthly parents want to model that view of God toward their children.
"Spare the rod and spoil the child. When you beat them, they will not die."
(so, don't actually beat them to death please)

These days, the neighbors would report you for such abuses. (as they should)
Your children might be removed from your home for their own safety.

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
"Spare the rod and spoil the child. When you beat them, they will not die."
(so, don't actually beat them to death please)

That's not what theo verse means.

It has 2 meanings..

Paraphrase.... "dont worry about how they feel about being punished, as they are not going to be harmed by it.. in fact it's good for them to learn that there is a cost with regards to behaving badly"

#2.. "because you have taught them to respect, you have trained them to understand that consequence follows behavior, and in this, they can eventually come to realize....that HELL is the consequence of dying in unbelief... so, you have helped them avoid that, if possible."

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I like his view of the Father. Perhaps that's why you shared this with us?

Also what he said about God's refrigerator with our picture on it. - LOL

I had no concerns with what said about 2 Corinthians 3:7-18.

Thanks for sharing.

What stood out to you in this sermon?
He makes God easily approachable without effort

Reactions: St. SteVen

Scott Downey

Dec 19, 2021
New Brunswick
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Hebrews 12 speaks directly to this about God who is the Father of spirits. And the discipline God gives to His children.
It is not all roses and sweet things; we are trained to become partakers of His Holiness. In a sense we are a spectacle to the universe, men and angels, and God will make us to be worthy of it, God will conform us to Christ, His Son. That most likely will be painful to our flesh....

Christ also had to endure suffering; we are not above our Master. Like I said we are on display to both good and fallen angels, principalities and powers. God requires us all to become overcomers of this world by our faith, and yes, that may be painful, even unto death.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1 Therefore we also, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which so easily ensnares us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, 2 looking unto Jesus, the [a]author and [b]finisher of our faith, who for the joy that was set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.

The Discipline of God​

3 For consider Him who endured such hostility from sinners against Himself, lest you become weary and discouraged in your souls. 4 You have not yet resisted to bloodshed, striving against sin. 5 And you have forgotten the exhortation which speaks to you as to sons:

“My son, do not despise the [c]chastening of the Lord,
Nor be discouraged when you are rebuked by Him;
6 For whom the Lord loves He chastens,
And scourges every son whom He receives.”

7 If[d] you endure chastening, God deals with you as with sons; for what son is there whom a father does not chasten? 8 But if you are without chastening, of which all have become partakers, then you are illegitimate and not sons. 9 Furthermore, we have had human fathers who corrected us, and we paid them respect. Shall we not much more readily be in subjection to the Father of spirits and live?

10 For they indeed for a few days chastened us as seemed best to them, but He for our profit, that we may be partakers of His holiness. 11 Now no [e]chastening seems to be joyful for the present, but painful; nevertheless, afterward it yields the peaceable fruit of righteousness to those who have been trained by it.

Scott Downey

Dec 19, 2021
New Brunswick
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Sounds familiar.
"This going to hurt me more than it hurts you."
Said before beating a child to a pulp.

/
Well, I never beat my kids like your saying. I spanked them just a few times.
What happens if God does not discipline His children? They are then not His.
Christ said, scripture cannot be broken.
How do you think God disciplines them? By the things that happen in this life.
Through adversity, hard times, suffering of all kinds, persecutions.
God requires of us that we be overcomers. If there is nothing to overcome, then there is no salvation for you.
Like Peter and Paul say,

1 Peter 1
3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who according to His abundant mercy has begotten us again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, 4 to an inheritance [b]incorruptible and undefiled and that does not fade away, reserved in heaven for you, 5 who are kept by the power of God through faith for salvation ready to be revealed in the last time.

6 In this you greatly rejoice, though now for a little while, if need be, you have been [c]grieved by various trials, 7 that the genuineness of your faith, being much more precious than gold that perishes, though it is tested by fire, may be found to praise, honor, and glory at the revelation of Jesus Christ, 8 whom having not [d]seen you love. Though now you do not see Him, yet believing, you rejoice with joy inexpressible and full of glory, 9 receiving the end of your faith—the salvation of your souls.

2 Timothy 3
10 But you have carefully followed my doctrine, manner of life, purpose, faith, longsuffering, love, perseverance, 11 persecutions, afflictions, which happened to me at Antioch, at Iconium, at Lystra—what persecutions I endured. And out of them all the Lord delivered me. 12 Yes, and all who desire to live godly in Christ Jesus will suffer persecution. 13 But evil men and impostors will grow worse and worse, deceiving and being deceived. 14 But you must continue in the things which you have learned and been assured of, knowing from whom you have learned them, 15 and that from childhood you have known the Holy Scriptures, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.

Romans 8
31 What then shall we say to these things? If God is for us, who can be against us? 32 He who did not spare His own Son, but delivered Him up for us all, how shall He not with Him also freely give us all things? 33 Who shall bring a charge against God’s elect? It is God who justifies. 34 Who is he who condemns? It is Christ who died, and furthermore is also risen, who is even at the right hand of God, who also makes intercession for us. 35 Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword? 36 As it is written:

“For Your sake we are killed all day long;
We are accounted as sheep for the slaughter.”
37 Yet in all these things we are more than conquerors through Him who loved us. 38 For I am persuaded that neither death nor life, nor angels nor principalities nor powers, nor things present nor things to come, 39 nor height nor depth, nor any other created thing, shall be able to separate us from the love of God which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Scott Downey

Dec 19, 2021
New Brunswick
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Revelation 21
6 And He said to me, “It[a] is done! I am the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the End. I will give of the fountain of the water of life freely to him who thirsts. 7 He who overcomes [b]shall inherit all things, and I will be his God and he shall be My son.

8 But the cowardly, [c]unbelieving, abominable, murderers, sexually immoral, sorcerers, idolaters, and all liars shall have their part in the lake which burns with fire and brimstone, which is the second death.”

All the 'overcome' words in Revelation, which also say this too. Overcome the world by our faith, means we resist the temptations of the devil and the world and do not depart from God. And some have had to suffer a lot in this life, they do however have a great resurrection.

Scott Downey

Dec 19, 2021
New Brunswick
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Sounds like "works" salvation.
What happens if you don't overcome all?

/
Believers will overcome all by their faith. Not a works salvation where you earn your entrance into Heaven.

the Revelation 21 warning from God distinguishes the two groups accurately.

This is why Paul warns that there are some people who will not be saved who are likely in the churches too as false brethren who are not born of God.
He does say it very explicitly. Do not be deceived about this.

1 Corinthians 6
8 No, you yourselves do wrong and cheat, and you do these things to your brethren! 9 Do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived. Neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor [a]homosexuals, nor sodomites, 10 nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners will inherit the kingdom of God.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You think this is works salvation, putting to death the deeds of the body??

Romans 8:13-15

13 For if you live according to the flesh you will die; but if by the Spirit you put to death the deeds of the body, you will live. 14 For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, these are sons of God. 15 For you did not receive the spirit of bondage again to fear, but you received the Spirit of adoption by whom we cry out, “Abba,[a] Father.”