Gods word?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Disciple

Soldiers United 4 Christ
Feb 3, 2011
Dallas Tx
Why do some people when quoting Gods word give almost all of the reverence to the letter part of the bible (i.e; when people say 'paul in the book of ephesians is saying that..') Instead of refering to the wisdom you received as a word, vision, or revelation from Gods Spirit.. It seems to be a problem in churches (places to worhip, hear from the Lord) present day, they preach more of the letter ink and pen more than the things of the Spirit..
Its good to know the history or backgound of the scriptures you read but It seems that people get too caught up in the philosophy part of the bible and not the Spiritual.
Just thoughts..

Templar81

Apr 14, 2010
UK
When Paul wrote his epistles he never expected them to be canonical. Scripture is God inspired bu not God written or dictated. It didn't jsut float down from Heaven. The church chose the 73 canonical books out of huge lists and many that made it in were disputed including revelations.

Take a look at this from 4:12
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBxKicbVnu8&NR=1

HammerStone

Staff member
Feb 12, 2006
South Carolina
prayerforums.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If we interpret every dream, whim, and everything else as from God we run into the same problem. The number one reason I'll give you is what unfolded in the Garden of Eden in Genesis. God literally walked there - Adam and Eve did not even need the dreams and visions - and yet they still believed the enemy with God himself having told them not to do something. Satan puts on a convincing front. So can a well-meaning but totally erroneous person.

II Corinthians 11:14
And no wonder, for even Satan disguises himself as an angel of light.

We like to think we always know the difference, but we don't. Humanity has proven itself quite capable in that department.

I understand some reason for the argument of following the letter too closely to subvert anything else God would do. However, when you throw the whole thing out and make remarks about it being inspired - yet not quite - then you open the door for the interpretations of man. (We have volumes and volumes of those that some religions like to tack on - talk about Pharisee!) Either God handed us a book that tells about himself and a relationship or otherwise we just need to do like the remaining religions of the world and make up our own way. There seem to be enough of those for my tastes.

As far as the assertion that Paul didn't know his work would become Scripture - well what do we really know? That's a cop-out poor argument at best. The funny thing is, Peter said something quite different. (And yes, I will scold someone who claims to come from a church founded directly by the guy as "the church.")

II Peter 3:15-16
And count the patience of our Lord as salvation, just as our beloved brother Paul also wrote to you according to the wisdom given him, as he does in all his letters when he speaks in them of these matters. There are some things in them that are hard to understand, which the ignorant and unstable twist to their own destruction, as they do the other Scriptures.

So, we can play games or we can simply let the Scriptures testify and stand upon their own - which they do quite well. Jesus Christ, the same yesterday, today, and tomorrow. We have been given a book to read - and either we listen to the book and work it out with God (because God's not going to tell you something that conflicts with something else he said, clearly) or we just make it up as we go.

Reactions: Rach1370

Rach1370

Apr 17, 2010
Australia
Good post Hammerstone! I completely agree!
Why would the scriptures tell us that ALL of it is God breathed and profitable, if it were open to interpretation and allowing us to dismiss parts of it??
If we call into question any of it, we open the door to call into question the very foundational issues....the ones so essential for salvation.

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Every word in the Bible is supposed to be there. However, it can still be profitable without being literally true.

Rach1370

Apr 17, 2010
Australia
Every word in the Bible is supposed to be there. However, it can still be profitable without being literally true.

It's interesting isn't it? Obviously we are supposed to apply understanding to scripture...I mean, Jesus is called the Lamb of God...but He's not actually a Lamb! But I still can't help but feel we need to be careful. If we are too quick to say that what the Bible is saying is only figurative then we open the door to people saying just that about issues that can directly effect Jesus claim of being God's son, being the way, the truth...etc.
Just take the vigin birth...it in itself is such an important foundation to Jesus' story. If we question it we then have to question everything Jesus claimed about Himself.
And while we may say "well, all the things about Jesus are literal", if we then turn around and say that the flood, or Sodom and Gahmorra were just figurative we then introduce a dichotomy to scripture.
All things are possible with God, no matter how inexplicable or confusing they seem to us. I'm not saying it's wrong to take the bible in a figurative way...I'm just worried about the possible outcome to the parts of scripture that must be taken literally....must be, or our hope is in vain.

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's interesting isn't it? Obviously we are supposed to apply understanding to scripture...I mean, Jesus is called the Lamb of God...but He's not actually a Lamb! But I still can't help but feel we need to be careful. If we are too quick to say that what the Bible is saying is only figurative then we open the door to people saying just that about issues that can directly effect Jesus claim of being God's son, being the way, the truth...etc.
Just take the vigin birth...it in itself is such an important foundation to Jesus' story. If we question it we then have to question everything Jesus claimed about Himself.
And while we may say "well, all the things about Jesus are literal", if we then turn around and say that the flood, or Sodom and Gahmorra were just figurative we then introduce a dichotomy to scripture.
All things are possible with God, no matter how inexplicable or confusing they seem to us. I'm not saying it's wrong to take the bible in a figurative way...I'm just worried about the possible outcome to the parts of scripture that must be taken literally....must be, or our hope is in vain.

You know, I used to share your fear.....I really did; however, now I realize that my need to "literalize" scripture - to make it true in a physical sense is a product of my age - the Age of Enlightenment (lots of good qualities about it) and it is frightfully limiting! The story of Jonah packs a punch, where it actually happened or not. I have no doubt that God is capable of doing it - however, I do not hold Him hostage, based on a literal interpretation. My faith has holes in it - blind holes, based on my modern education, post-modern-mind hallelujah!!!!! I trust He will fill in the blanks, for all ages.

When atheists, rightfully accuse me of using God as a crutch - I remind them that they are using me as a crutch and sometimes I need to share our weight by leaning on God/

th1b.taylor

Dec 4, 2010
SE Texas
When Paul wrote his epistles he never expected them to be canonical. Scripture is God inspired bu not God written or dictated. It didn't jsut float down from Heaven. The church chose the 73 canonical books out of huge lists and many that made it in were disputed including revelations.

Take a look at this from 4:12
http://www.youtube.c...BxKicbVnu8&NR=1

There are 69 canonical books, the four in the middle of the Catholic Bible were placed there by the Catholic Church after the canon was executed.

Templar81

Apr 14, 2010
UK
Actually they come from teh Septugent which was a Greek translation of the Hebrew scriptures and since most of the early Christians spoke Greek it was a lot mroe practical to use this translation since Greek was more widespread than hebrew. The church carried on using them and the reformers decided to use translations from the original hebrew scriptures. My Bible has 73 books in it, though the old testament in it comes from the Hebrew not the Greek and deutoricanonical books do come from the Grek Septugent.

Disciple

Soldiers United 4 Christ
Feb 3, 2011
Dallas Tx
Templar, do you really beleive The word of God was not dictated by God?? I beleive it was 100% dictated by him, it is his own word!!

Templar81

Apr 14, 2010
UK
It was inspired but not dictated. it didn't float down from ehaven. It was written by men and from a human eprspective of God, but the Holy Spirit guided those who wrote the texts that were to be selected to become official canonical material and also guided the selection itself. Also, I think that God is everywhwere, he is in everything, so why try to limit God to the pages of the Bible?

This is the big mistake that Evangelicals always make, they put limitations on God and they ahve their nose so far in the Bible that they can't see anything esle.

Tell me this; on what authority was it ever said that scriptutre should be adhered to litterally? I acknowledge that it is God's word but that it is inspired but not dictated.

WhiteKnuckle

Mar 29, 2009
You kinda have to ask yourself,,,,,,, Why were the books in the Bible chosen to be there, specifically? People are lazy, and we would've been more than happy leaving things as they were.

I don't believe anyone would've organized the Bible, collected all the letters and such, if it weren't an inspiration and direction from God.

Think about that nextime you need to simply write a letter to a loved one you haven't talked to in a couple years..........

Robbie

Jan 4, 2011
Huntington Beeach
I disagree... there's a lot of power in religion...

Look at how many spiritual books are written and compiled by people...

If the bible being compiled had to be directed by God because people were to lazy to do so otherwise...

That would also have to be true for the Quran and all the other spiritual books.

tomwebster

Dec 11, 2006
I disagree... there's a lot of power in religion...

Look at how many spiritual books are written and compiled by people...

If the bible being compiled had to be directed by God because people were to lazy to do so otherwise...

That would also have to be true for the Quran and all the other spiritual books.

Are you actually comparing Scripture to the Quran and all other spiritual books?

Robbie

Jan 4, 2011
Huntington Beeach
:blink: :blink:

funny%20face.jpg