Gun Control

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
www.CheeseburgersWithGod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
27752539_786026528270051_4620882644126754290_n.jpg

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How does gun ownership (apart from hunting for food) fit with faith? Early Christian martyrs did not have concealed weapon permits

Triumph1300

Jan 11, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
How does gun ownership (apart from hunting for food) fit with faith? Early Christian martyrs did not have concealed weapon perm

How does Stamp Collecting fit with Faith?
Early Christians didn't have postal service.

Does everything have to be connected to how early Christians lived?

For crying out loud........................ :)

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How does Stamp Collecting fit with Faith?
Early Christians didn't have postal service.

Does everything have to be connected to how early Christians lived?

For crying out loud........................ :)

Seriously?!

Yeah, um....if you claim to follow Christ, everything does have to be viewed through a Christian lense....

Reactions: OzSpen

Triumph1300

Jan 11, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I own a few postage stamps with a picture of the pope on it.
Is that viewing stamp collecting through a Christian lense? Lol

What kind of car would Paul have bought if they were available 2000 years ago. Give it some thought.

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
of all the threads you could have chosen to reply to in that, you choose this one?

if i have "decided" that something applies to you there, and it does not, bam present your evidence, maybe i owe you an apology?

Not going to play in that mess.
You owe me nothing.

God Bless,
Taken

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I own a few postage stamps with a picture of the pope on it.
Is that viewing stamp collecting through a Christian lense? Lol

Is there another philatelist among us?

As to your questions, my own hobby of stamp collecting [for over 60 years] eventually got in the way of my walk with God. For nearly 10 years now, I am only working to sell them. [It provides a very small addition to my retirement income.] I do NOT add to my collection anymore, but although I have sold thousands of stamps there are still many tens of thousands remaining.

I also have some pictures of several Popes and all of the presidents...

Reactions: aspen

Pisteuo

Jul 31, 2017
Ozarks
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I sell hundreds of guns a year in my shop. Probably more. I own many for my personal use. (target shooting and hunting). My personal conviction is that the Lord is my defense and I don't feel led to defend myself or my family with firearms. I love the mechanics of them, especially the old ones. I don't see legal gun ownership as a problem. We have an "evil" problem. Taking the guns away won't likely make a dent in that. They will find a way just like Oklahoma City or NYC. The internet is a much more dangerous weapon than any of the guns in existence.

Reactions: amadeus

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I sell hundreds of guns a year in my shop. Probably more. I own many for my personal use. (target shooting and hunting). My personal conviction is that the Lord is my defense and I don't feel led to defend myself or my family with firearms. I love the mechanics of them, especially the old ones. I don't see legal gun ownership as a problem. We have an "evil" problem. Taking the guns away won't likely make a dent in that. They will find a way just like Oklahoma City or NYC. The internet is a much more dangerous weapon than any of the guns in existence.

I think you have a healthy viewpoint. I appreciate the mechanics, as well btw. I do think the US needs to stop selling weapons to the world, however - we are arming our enemies. I also agree that God is in charge of our safety - it is a faith issue for me

Reactions: Josho and Pisteuo

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
Brisbane, Qld., Australia
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Gun control.... I don't agree with the 2nd Amendment of the USA, the right to violence, the right for many to bear arms, fine if it's for hunting for food, but many Americans carry it around for self defense, even many Christian Americans, in the news the other day 20 school shootings had already happened in the US this year and statistics show that there are 30000 gun related deaths per year in the USA, we are nowhere near that number in Australia. Keeping a gun for self defense alone is a dangerous thing.

The Gospel of Jesus Christ doesn't encourage violence, when Jesus was being arrested, Peter chopped off the ear of a high priests servant (Malthus) and then Jesus said to Peter "Put your sword in its place, for all who take the sword will perish by the sword. Or do you think that I cannot now pray to My Father, and he will provide me with more than twelve legions of angels? How then could the scriptures be fulfilled that it must happen this?"

And then there are all the many Bible verses that say do not worry, do not fear, trust in Jesus, and there are examples of persecution in the New Testament where they trusted God, and didn't turn to bearing arms and harming prison guards or killing Jew's in self defence, etc. etc.

And what are you doing when you turn to your gun, it's worry, it's fear, it's the flesh's thinking of what do I do if God don't protect me in this situation, and that's not trusting in God, it's not turning the other cheek, it's forgetting that miracles can happen through Jesus, even in times of danger. There are testimonies of bullets going through Christians without harming them, there are testimonies of Christians surviving gun attacks unarmed, and coming out alive, there are testimonies of people getting healed by Jesus of the worst of wounds. What are American Christians afraid of to need to place their security in guns, Jesus can intervene in anyway in any situation, even in a dangerous one.

So the question many need to ask themselves is do you trust in God or your guns?

Josho,

On another forum I advocated the Australian gun control model for the USA to control the use of rifles to help prevent the mass slaughters in the USA. I was shot down in flames, being the only person on that thread to advocate gun control.

Joe Hockey is a former Aust MP and treasurer of the country who is now Aust's ambassador to the US. Why don't you take a read of what he stated about gun control in the US: Australia's Ambassador Says His Country's Gun Laws Can't Save America.

I lived for 5 years in the US and one of my close Yankee friends in OH is a gun-toting Christian. Seems to me that the use of guns is so ingrained in the US culture-psyche, based on the history of how the US was formed and the country's commitment to the 2nd Amendment.

So, I expect mass slaughter like what happened in Fort Lauderdale, Florida to continue. It's a price to pay for the gun culture.

Oz

Reactions: Josho

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Josho,

On another forum I advocated the Australian gun control model for the USA to control the use of rifles to help prevent the mass slaughters in the USA. I was shot down in flames, being the only person on that thread to advocate gun control.

Joe Hockey is a former Aust MP and treasurer of the country who is now Aust's ambassador to the US. Why don't you take a read of what he stated about gun control in the US: Australia's Ambassador Says His Country's Gun Laws Can't Save America.

I lived for 5 years in the US and one of my close Yankee friends in OH is a gun-toting Christian. Seems to me that the use of guns is so ingrained in the US culture-psyche, based on the history of how the US was formed and the country's commitment to the 2nd Amendment.

So, I expect mass slaughter like what happened in Fort Lauderdale, Florida to continue. It's a price to pay for the gun culture.

Oz

The gun crisis in the US reminds me of the opium crisis in China - unfortunately weve got the opium issue here as well

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
Brisbane, Qld., Australia
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
The internet is a much more dangerous weapon than any of the guns in existence.

I hope you are using hyperbole here.

However, I understand the threat of the Internet in importing guns via post, courier or other means - over or around the wall Trump wants to build on the Mexican-US border.

Oz

Last edited:

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

That is a good , reasonable and honest post.
Thank you so much for that....agree. :)

Reactions: Pisteuo

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
www.CheeseburgersWithGod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How does gun ownership (apart from hunting for food) fit with faith? Early Christian martyrs did not have concealed weapon permits
The issue is about truth and honesty. There are many tools that contribute to evil in the hands of evil people. But if we are honest, they are not where the problem originates from, nor are they where the solution lies:

Matthew 12:35
A good man out of the good treasure of his heart brings forth good things, and an evil man out of the evil treasure brings forth evil things.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's a dying hobby.
Just like model trains and other hobbies.
No young blood coming in due to all the electronic games and gadgets.

My collection was started by my dad in 1915.
Yes, dying. It is a shame for it was for me always both fun and educational... but it became a necessity for me to quit. I would never have quit if God had not let me know it was part of my problem with Him. I spent too much time on it. Now I do nothing on it except prepare a book to be sold on a circuit about once a month. It is rare that I sell even 25% of the contents of a book during a 2 year period that it is being circulated to other collectors. The old collectors usually already have what I am selling, and there are very few young or new collectors for the reasons you stated.

Also not many people use real stamps on their mail any more. I always collected used stamps and they have become almost impossible to obtain. At one time in the 1990's I was trading stamps by mail with close to 50 collectors located in many other countries. The time I spent on receiving from and sending to those trading partners was where I was overdoing it along with the still working at a job full-time.

Triumph1300

Jan 11, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
At one time in the 1990's I was trading stamps by mail with close to 50 collectors located in many other countries.

I have done that too.

Just recently I decided to sell off all of it.
Been in contact with dealers and collectors and I decided to keep it all and pass it on in the family.

To much hassle and I don't need the money.

My collection is The Netherlands and all the colonies.
Russia, Poland, France, and a few other European countries.
Oldest stamps are mid 1800's.

I have 8 shoeboxes packed with first day covers.

Also lots of old coins.

Reactions: Helen