Have you ever been challenged to, say, call for a healing?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As Christians...has an atheist or just anyone ever challenged you to,
"Well, heal somebody then, you're a Christian, right?"

Would you?
Or say if you were pleasantly asked to pray for someone for a healing, would you?
Have you?

If you haven't stepped up to bat, why not?
Thanks in advance for anyone interested in posting
Because the Word of God gives us the prescription for that.
James 5:14-15
Is anyone among you sick? He should summon the presbyters (priests) of the church, and they should pray over him and anoint him with oil in the name of the Lord, and the prayer of faith will save the sick person, and the Lord will raise him up. If he has committed any sins, he will be forgiven.

As for praying for a sick person - yes, we should ALWAYS do that when asked.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
my wish is that you might find grace, also, and my belief is that presbyters should understand that spiritual healing is what is always indicated. not almost always, always
like a person dying, a person with epilepsy,
a person with a tumor...and us being an intercessor...helping them...
i suggest that Christ did not do this at all, what you are suggesting, as weird as that sounds. His healings were of "sight" or "hearing," or "an issue of blood," um, what else, "raising from the dead," "exorcising demons" that i submit all may be read with different eyes, imo Christ did not physically heal ppl at all

Miss Hepburn

Oct 28, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The best way to help them is to pray for Spiritual healing. This is the intercessory prayer. Seek first the Kingdom of God...why is it bothersome to you for [your] thread to take a spiritual turn rather than a physical one?
I get what you're saying naturally...it doesn' bother me, per se...but we all know how threads go off topic...it is a great topic...spiritual healing!
This one is about physical, however....I have not gotten where I am today...in all avenues of my life from veering off point.*
If someone is hungry and you want to tell them about Jesus ...feed em first.
[And anyone would be talkin to the choir to talk me that spiritual off balance causes physical diseases...like Duh....]

*Tho, with enough coffee you may see me ramble a bit here! :D
Gotta run for awhile.

Reactions: Richard_oti

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
As for praying for a sick person - yes, we should ALWAYS do that when asked.
imo the blue writing up there even encodes the correct perception of this concept, only in such a way that one may believe that the presbyters are called to pray for a physical healing, if that is what they want to believe. but imo that v is not saying that at all. It is saying "go to the right people, and they will inform you that your problem is a spiritual one."

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
This one is about physical, however....I have not gotten where I am today...in all avenues of my life from veering off point.*
If someone is hungry and you want to tell them about Jesus ...feed em first.
[And anyone would be talkin to the choir to talk me that spiritual off balance causes physical diseases...like Duh....]
ha, amen, i love this the most of all, yes. Iow no, i will not pray for you to be healed of a physical problem that is self-inflicted, even in ignorance. You want an allopath for that, a symptom-treater. What i will do is advise you how to cure the physical problem, this is what i do--or did, anyway--for a living, and you are not going to want to do this usually, because you prefer snickers, see.

i can pray--or wish, same thing--that you take the advice all i want, see, doesn't matter if you don't do it.

i tell you that if Paul came to me with his thorn, and swore that he just knew for a fact that my righteous man's--as if--prayer would cure him, i still would not do it; all i could do is pray God's will for him, which was the thorn, right?

Reactions: Nancy

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
imo the blue writing up there even encodes the correct perception of this concept, only in such a way that one may believe that the presbyters are called to pray for a physical healing, if that is what they want to believe. but imo that v is not saying that at all. It is saying "go to the right people, and they will inform you that your problem is a spiritual one."
The text is pretty simple. It is talking about a sick person who happens to be a sinner like the rest of us.
The prescription in this passage is precisely what is done by a Catholic priest administering Extreme Unction or "Last Rites".

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
The text is pretty simple. It is talking about a sick person who happens to be a sinner like the rest of us.
The prescription in this passage is precisely what is done by a Catholic priest administering Extreme Unction or "Last Rites".
i prefer not to comment on that exactly--except to say that i jibe with most priests (who are not offended at not being called father anyway) quite well, fwiw.

i post to say that priests do not do prayers of healing a la the Prot/Pent method, right?
if the subject is not dying, iow?
how would a priest handle a request for prayer for physical healing, iow

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
www.CheeseburgersWithGod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hmmm...maybe I am mistaken...I did leave out the words, "when asked'',
Jesus healed everyone, no? Everyone, sorry, when asked.
This, also is not a thread on what is more important....but if asked and you didn't
pray for a healing for someone ...how come? That is in the op.

Jesus gave 2 commandments...why complicate things? If your husband or friend
were sick, they asked you as a Christian to pray for a healing for them, since you have the
direct line to contact the Holy Spirit, in their minds after hearing you all these years, ha...
is anyone going to start in on how. ''that is not the most imp thing...they are too concerned
with the physical''?
Because if so...I would be speechless.
Thanks for explaining. I think this is just the typical debate dance we do though. :)

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
i prefer not to comment on that exactly--except to say that i jibe with most priests (who are not offended at not being called father anyway) quite well, fwiw.

i post to say that priests do not do prayers of healing a la the Prot/Pent method, right?
if the subject is not dying, iow?
how would a priest handle a request for prayer for physical healing, iow
No - priests pray prayers of healing. Last Rites is also called Anointing of the Sick.
That's the whole point of the Sacrament. It's not just for dying people.

Reactions: amadeus

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Jesus died for the whole man. Body, soul, & spirit. I believe the pat answer-
" Spiritual healing is much better than physical healing".. is a cop-out for those who have prayed for people who have never been healed, or they are afraid to pray for someone in case they don't get healed.

JESUS said- " Which is easier to say, thy sins be forgive you or arise take up thy bed and walk." Both come to us through Jesus.

I have always prayed for anyone who asks. I even pray (privately) for those who do not ask. While shopping I will pray over a mother or a wild unruly kid while waiting in a check-out.
Freely we have received, therefore freely we give...it should be an automatic outflowing on He who dwells within.

Now ask me how I really feel about it! :D

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus died for the whole man. Body, soul, & spirit. I believe the pat answer-
" Spiritual healing is much better than physical healing".. is a cop-out for those who have prayed for people who have never been healed, or they are afraid to pray for someone in case they don't get healed.

The whole man: body, soul, and mind.

Romans 8:6
[6] For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace.

If soul and mind are healed spiritually, how is it then that the "body" suddenly means flesh that is passing away? Christ is the head of His body? What "body" is it, if the head is Spirit?

A spiritual mind that is healed; will no doubt manifest in the physical. The body the same way. But for you to say "spiritual is much better than physical" is a cop out??? You do get that nearly every thing precious to God suffers in this life? His people are being trodden down by the gentiles. His prophets were slain. His Disciples tortured and rejected. John the Baptist was beheaded. The Son of God was crucified in His early thirties.

God will allow physical suffering to give us spiritual riches beyond measure. This is the "provide yourselves bags which wax not old, a treasure in the heavens that faileth not". Physical healing is not top priority. We may not like it. But it is true.

Last edited:

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
JESUS said- " Which is easier to say, thy sins be forgive you or arise take up thy bed and walk." Both come to us through Jesus.

I ask you to consider the OT and all the times the lepers bed was unclean, and the bleeding woman's bed was unclean.

Leviticus 15:3-4
[3] And this shall be his uncleanness in his issue: whether his flesh run with his issue, or his flesh be stopped from his issue, it is his uncleanness. [4] Every bed, whereon he lieth that hath the issue, is unclean: and every thing, whereon he sitteth, shall be unclean.

Leviticus 15:2-4
[2] Speak unto the children of Israel, and say unto them, When any man hath a running issue out of his flesh, because of his issue he is unclean. [3] And this shall be his uncleanness in his issue: whether his flesh run with his issue, or his flesh be stopped from his issue, it is his uncleanness. [4] Every bed, whereon he lieth that hath the issue, is unclean: and every thing, whereon he sitteth, shall be unclean.

Leviticus 15:23-25
[23] And if it be on her bed, or on any thing whereon she sitteth, when he toucheth it, he shall be unclean until the even. [24] And if any man lie with her at all, and her flowers be upon him, he shall be unclean seven days; and all the bed whereon he lieth shall be unclean. [25]

What power for Jesus to say "pick up your bed and walk". To pronounce them "clean". Was it the physical he was demonstrating or something more beautiful and merciful and powerful?

Pick up your bed and walk; you are clean and you are forgiven...are the same thing. That is what He was asking them "which is easier?" To forgive sins or pronounce that which is unclean...clean.

Last edited:

truthquest

May 23, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As Christians...has an atheist or just anyone ever challenged you to,
"Well, heal somebody then, you're a Christian, right?"

Would you?
Or say if you were pleasantly asked to pray for someone for a healing, would you?
Have you?

If you haven't stepped up to bat, why not?
Thanks in advance for anyone interested in posting :)
I've had many people ask me to pray for them for different reasons, some for physical healing and some for spiritual healing. And I prayed for them.
I met one lady who didn't want me to pray for her, for what was happening to her. But she needed prayer. She didn't understand that what was happening to her was really a spiritual attack but she didn't see it that way or didn't want to see it that way.
I've shared this experience on this forum before. This woman's husband had passed away. That's a very hard thing to deal with and it's hard to let go. I know that feeling because my husband passed away in 2000.
I was going door to door in my neighborhood selling Avon if I recall correctly. It was a hot day. She invited me in and we sat down and were talking. Then she was telling me something almost in an excited way and she was smiling and acting happy about what she was saying. She told me that her husband had been appearing to her at different times. As she was talking about that, the temperature in the room dropped very noticeably almost to a chill and I felt that and I knew what it meant because I'd had experience with that sort of thing. She didn't have air conditioning on so it wasn't that. The temperature just suddenly changed and she looked at me and asked, "Do you feel that?" And I said yes. Besides the drop in temperature there was a creepy and heavy feeling and I knew I had to pray and ask God for help to stop this from happening before something appeared. So I told her that I was going to pray, that what was happening wasn't a good thing and she acted disappointed. But I prayed anyway and even before I finished the prayer, the temperature was back to normal as it was before. The creepy, heavy feeling was gone. I felt a warm feeling, a comforting kind of warmness. Afterwards I tried to tell her not to seek that out again, not to try to communicate with it, that it was a wicked spirit imitating her husband and that by seeking it that she was giving it power that could hurt her in different ways. She was disappointed and I don't know what happened with that after I left. I don't know if she continued to seek it out. That's just one experience that stands out for me. But it's not the only one of that nature.
I'm not sure if I answered your question.

Reactions: Miss Hepburn

Miss Hepburn

Oct 28, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi truthquest, thank you.
Idea....in your signature...if you spelled out Romans...it would turn to a link we could click!

Reactions: truthquest

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
...a wild unruly kid while waiting in a check-out.
Freely we have received, therefore freely we give...it should be an automatic outflowing
boy, i sure remember getting some of those automatic outflowings when i was acting like that as a kid lol
j/k, but they took much the same path,
mom: sure wish he would shut up
dad: ask and he shall receive, no problem
:)

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Physical healing is not top priority. We may not like it. But it is true.
nice. Along those lines, i think, "body" might better be grasped as "gut" or "intestines" for purposes of healing, the premise being that we are called to have 3 in agreement (healing), those being the mind, heart, and gut. Of course body, soul, and mind are relevant also, and i guess other Threes are also relevant descriptions, spirit, soul, and body, etc

Reactions: Helen

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
We are a whole...Jesus died for body, soul and spirit....ALL
The Good News is to the whole man. It seems to me that Jesus spent a great deal of His time in healing broken bodies. If He valued that why don't we. ( it is easier to cop-out )

Reactions: Miss Hepburn