Headship, Submission and Women in Ministry

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Wormwood

Chaps
Apr 9, 2013
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
StanJ said:
Paul was dealing with an issue of disorder in Corinth WW. This is the context of 1 Cor 14, so it has to be kept in mind when commenting on it. Paul did confirm this was corporate worship in v26 where he says; "when you all come together".
To think it says otherwise is to completely ignore the context here. That some scholars over think issues is true, but the majority view should always be considered when trying to exposit scripture in any scenario.
Stan,

I agree there were issues in Corinth. However, there is no historical evidence to suggest this particular congregation was having specific issues with women, or that Paul would disallow any woman to speak as a result of a few problem people..such a concept does seem chauvinistic if that is how Paul would deal with some out of line women. Would he disallow all men from teaching because some of them were heretical? Of course not. These arguments are contrived from egalitarian imagination and nothing more. Further, I agree that Paul is speaking about the congregation in 14:26 and he follows this up with saying that he does not allow women to speak in these situations. Chapter 11 is a different context and Paul is speaking about general life in the first half of the chapter...eating, hair length, and so forth. He doesn't reference the gathering of believers until the end of chapter 11, after commenting about eating, hair length and prophecy.

Barrd

His Humble Servant
Jul 27, 2015
...following a Jewish carpenter...
Joanna.

Joanna was a very important disciple. She had been the wife of Herod's chief steward, a man named Chuza. For some reason, I had assumed that Chuza had died, but I can't find any backing for that assumption.

Anyhow, it seems that Joanna had an unspecified illness, and Jesus healed her.

Very little is known about Joanna, but it is reasonable to suppose that she was an upper-class Jewish woman with wealth of her own, either through her family...it was unusual, but not unheard of for a father to give a daughter money of her own...or from her husband.

I have wondered...was it difficult for the 12, proud men who had lived in poverty, to leave their homes and their livelihood, and be supported by women?

We do not know how closely Joanna's life was intertwined with the royal household, but she would certainly have known everything that went on: servants know everything, and their master Chuza would have known everything as well. Much of the inside information about Jesus' trial and torture may have come from Joanna, who had access to buildings and people the other Galileans did not.

Anyway, it is obvious that Jesus loved and trusted this strong woman.

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
Brisbane, Qld., Australia
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Wormwood said:
Oz,

Thank you for your response.

We also have NT examples of women in ministry. Let us not confuse participation in ministry with the elimination of any kind of role distinctions. Since I know argumentation and rhetoric is important to you, I would classify this as a false choice or false dichotomy. It does not have to be all or nothing here. This is the very argument I felt was incredibly weak in the Fuller articles. The notion is that if we accept 1 Timothy 2 "as is" then it is an absolute prohibition and therefore contradicts the passages in 1 Cor 11 and those elsewhere that imply women served in various capacities in ministry is just not true. I do accept the notion that women prophesied, aided the ministries of Jesus and the Apostles and even taught in informal settings (such as Aquilla and Priscilla). So lets not paint this as "an anti-woman" position. This is a straw man and I am not "anti-woman" in any sense of the word. As I mentioned before, I believe that women are able to serve in just about any capacity in the local church but I do accept 1 Tim. 2 and other texts to be meaningful passages that address the role of eldership and leading the local congregation in doctrinal instruction.

As you mentioned above, women had public ministries in the OT. I dont see this as indicative the the cross removed role distinctions between men and women.
The issue I raised with the OT examples was that of prophetesses (e.g. Deborah) who spoke to Israel (including men) for God. So here we have deliberate, authoritative women in ministry. But you seem to want to deny that authoritative role for OT women to have any continuing expression in the NT. At no point have I suggested an elimination of role distinctions. That's a straw man you have invented against my position.

There is a major difficulty in understanding the meaning of authentein (to have authority) as it appears only this one time in the whole NT and because it is a present tense imperative of authenteo it means that these women were continuously having authority. But what's the meaning of authenteo? Arndt & Gingrich's Greek lexicon gives the meaning as 'have authority, domineer ... over someone' (1957:120). In the word study edited by Colin Brown, The New International Dictionary of New Testament Theology, vol 3, Brown's word study on gune (woman) points out that '1 Tim. 2:12 might be interpreted not as an absolute prohibition of women teaching but as a repudiation of allowing them to domineer and lay down the law. The hapax legomenon authentein can mean both to have authority over and to domineer' (Brown 1978:1066).

I must say that this is truly a head scratcher. So you are arguing, on the basis of the generic term "adelphoi" that Paul is explicitly teaching that both men and women teach in the public assembly? Yet Paul specifically says in verse 34-35

I just do not follow your logic here at all. You are saying that the generic term "adelphoi" overrides the specific command of Paul, using "the Law" (not a specific heretical teaching or contextual problem with women in Corinth) as rationale as to why women should have an attitude of submission rather than teaching authority in the church. So, because "adelphoi" can refer to both men and women that this carries more weight that Paul specifically telling women to not teach but remain in submission. This is like me saying, "Ladies and gentlemen, we have all come here to teach, learn and grow. Ladies, you cannot teach." Then someone saying, "well because you said "Ladies and gentlemen, we are all here to teach..." this means that you want women to teach ...regardless of what you said after that." I just dont know how to respond to this other than just pointing to the plain language of the passage which clearly shows that even though Paul is clearly addressing men and women, he also clearly prohibits those women he is addressing from teaching in the assembly. Its just that simple. I just dont know how the language could be any more clear and to miss it suggests that someone is determined to see something that isnt there.
Could it be that you don't follow the logic because of your presuppositions about the meaning when it is allegedly stated that women should not teach men (1 Tim 2:12) and women are told to remain silent (1 Cor 14:34-35).

Adelphoi (brothers and sisters) and NOT 'brothers' only overrides nothing. In 1 Cor 14:26 (NIV) we have this statement by Paul that affirms women in teaching ministry: 'What then shall we say, brothers and sisters? When you come together, each of you has a hymn, or a word of instruction, a revelation, a tongue or an interpretation. Everything must be done so that the church may be built up'. This affirmation is:
  • Addressed to brothers and sisters in Christ, adelphoi;
  • 'When you come together' is an indication of the gathering of the assembly of believers;
  • What should happen when brothers and sisters in Christ meet in the church gathering? 'Each of you', i.e. ekastos, both brothers and sisters - men and women - have opportunity to engage in the vocal gifts of a hymn, a word of instruction (i.e. didache, which is teaching. Remember the post biblical document, The Didache?), a revelation, a tongue or an interpretation'.
  • However, 1 Cor 14:26 (NIV) is in the context of 1 Cor 14:34 (NIV), 'Women should remain silent in the churches....' Can't you see the massive contradiction? Verse 26 women can speak; verse 34 women CANNOT speak according to your interpretation.
  • In my understanding, 1 Cor 14:34-35 (NIV) solves the misunderstanding: (1) The women should be in submission, as the Law says; (2) How do they demonstrate that submission? 'If they want to inquire about something, they should ask their own husbands at home; for it is disgraceful for a woman to speak in the church'.
  • So, something was happening with rowdy women in the church gathering who were creating disorder. They were told to shut up, i.e. 'remain silent in the churches'. Wherever such misbehaviour was going on, these women were to be silent. That should be the end of the story so that
  • Women can get back to proper functioning (as in 1 Cor 14:26) when the church gathers. However, this verse prohibits the permanent closing down of women in ministry in the NT church, including the church of the 21st century.

Clearly this is a passage [Gal 3:28] about the application of grace to all people and has nothing to do with role distinctions in the home, church or workplace. No one is arguing here that women are inferior to men or that women do not have the same inheritance or value in Christ any more than one would argue a child has less value in Christ than authoritative parents or a boss has more value than his servant because of the authority he/she has.
Yes, it does refer to God's grace. However, it has deep application in refusal to discriminate against women.

The context of Eph. 5:21 clearly lays out how we "submit to one another." It is an error to suggest that this implies mutual or reciprocal submission. Αλλελων does not always indicate a reciprocal action. For instance, John 4:33 says "So the disciples were saying to one another, "No one brought Him anything to eat, did he?" Obviously the disciples were not all the disciples took turns saying this back and forth to each other. Some were saying it and others were listening. Likewise we are told to "wash one another's feet." Obviously this does not mean I was every person's feet and every person then washes mine. A person's foot only needs to be washed once by one person. Luke 12:1 says "so many thousands of people had gathered together that they were stepping on one another." Truely it would be a feat if every person somehow managed to step on every other person in the crowd while themselves being stepped on by every person! Revelation 6:4 speaks of a situation in which men would "slay one another." Clearly not everyone is being killed by everyone else and they themselves are killing everyone who is killing them! No, some were killing and others were dying.

The point is simple. This Greek word does not always imply a reciprocal, two-way action. As one author put it, "Though the use of allelon in these exhortations makes every Christian a potential actor and at the same time a potential recipient of the action, only the circumstances will determine who fulfills which role in any given situation. And the circumstances of life usually dictate that at any given time some persons will have the role of actor and others will have the role of recipient of the action, with no thought or necessity of mutuality or reciprocity in that situation."

In the context of Eph. 5, Paul expounds upon the command to submit to one another by illustrating various circumstances by which some are actors and others are recepients. By your rationale, parents should submit to their parents in the same way that children submit to their parents...if both are Christian. Clearly, this is not what Paul is teaching.
Where did I raise Eph 5:21? I didn't. This is a straw man.

You are asking me to believe the following based on your interpretation:
1. Even though Paul does not mention the assembly of believers when referring to women prophesying, but does on three different occasions when he calls for them not to teach but to be in submission, that we should still assume women prophesied in the assembly (and therefore were teachers and elders as well).
2. Paul is only saying women should be silent because of contextual situations in these specific congregations (to which we have no historical evidence) even though the literary context says nothing of the sort, but rather implies universal application due to creation, the Law and so forth.
3. Paul would use "the Law," creation, and his (and the churches) normative practice as rationale to silence particular women in a limited context who are ignorant or heretical.
4. Paul sees the ignorance and heresy of these women to be of greater significance than the ignorance or heresy of men, which is why he singles them out and demands all women in these cities to be silent even though the problem is with a specific few.
5. That the Holy Spirit would inspire the Apostle Paul to write these generic, universal prohibitions to women in general without reference to the specifics of their situation to be preseved for all believers and that future generations would learn to read between the lines to discover that is not at all what God means. Rather, when he says women cannot teach and must learn in submission in the assembly to the congregations in Corinth and Ephesus, that he actually means women should teach or else those believers are sexist and "anti-woman."
I'll deal with your points according to your numbering:

1. This is a false statement. Paul DOES mention the assembly of believers when referring to women who prophesy. In 1 Cor 14:4 (NIV), it states, 'Anyone who speaks in a tongue edifies themselves, but the one who prophesies edifies the church'. We've already established that women prophesy and they can't engage in a ministry of edifying the church if they are not in the church gathering. This is further emphasised in 1 Cor 14:5 (NIV): 'I would like every one of you to speak in tongues, but I would rather have you prophesy. The one who prophesies is greater than the one who speaks in tongues,unless someone interprets, so that the church may be edified'.

Your view on women forbidden to teach and must be in submission is refuted by the translation of authentein (1 Tim 2:12) as meaning 'domineering' (see above).

2. We most certainly have contextual reasons to indicate women who were told to 'remain silent' were to 'inquire about something' and 'should ask their own husbands at home' (1 Cor 14:34-35 NIV).

3. You have imposed your own meaning at this point and not given what I wrote.

4. Again, this is your imposition on what I stated. I will not continue to engage with you in discussion if you distort what I wrote like this. We can't have a responsible discussion when you invent what I wrote.

5. My explanation of the meaning of authentein (above) explains further why what you say about what I mean is incorrect. The difficulties with 1 Cor 14:33-34 (NIV) - silence of women when the church gathers - are so serious that leading evangelical commentator, Gordon Fee, has written: 'On the whole, therefore, the case against these verses [being included in 1 Cor 14] is so strong, and finding a viable solution to their meaning so difficult, that it seems best to view them as an interpolation. If so, then one must assume that the words were first written as a gloss in the margin by someone who, probably in light of 1 Tim. 2:9-15, felt the need to qualify Paul's instructions even further. Since the phenomenon of glosses making their way into the biblical text is so well documented elsewhere in the NT (e.g., John 5:3b-4; 1 John 5:7), there is no good historical reason to reject the possibility here' (Fee 1987:705).

And yet my argument is simply this:

1. Paul does not specifically mention the assembly in the context of speaking about women prophesying and we see many occasions where people (including women) publicly prophesied outside the assembly of believers.
2. When Paul does specifically mention the assembly of believers, he always says women are to not teach or have authority and uses creation and the Law as his rationale. We should therefore accept this as a binding prohibition in the assembly of believers.

Therefore, women can prophesy and teach, but not in the formal setting of gathered believers.

So how am I the one that is going against the context here!?
1. As I've demonstrated, Paul did mention women prophesying in the church - for the edification of the church (1 Cor 14:4-5 NIV). In these two verses ekklesia (church) is used. I can't understand how you are ignorant of such a basic demonstration of prophesy for the edification of the church - not the individual.

2. That is your interpretation where you have not taken into consideration the 'domineering' meaning of authentein in 1 Tim 2:12 (NIV). Your conclusion is loaded with traditional hermeneutics. It is not a binding prohibition against all women teaching men and women in a mixed group. It is a prohibition against women who want to domineer.

By the way, I've just re-read all of 1 Tim 2 in the Greek and the word for assembly, ekklesia, does not appear.

Therefore, women CAN teach and prophesy in the church gathering, but women who want to domineer are to remain silent and are forbidden from teaching.

I never made the argument that women cannot prophesy. And they most certainly did not do this in the assembly (1 Cor. 14:34-35). Again, to use 1 Cor. 14:26 to argue they did when a few sentences later Paul explicitly forbids it is just a baffling leap to me. The only way a person can read 1 Cor. 14:26-35 and determine that women prophesied in the assembly is if they have already determined this to be true before actually reading that section of Scripture. I think if you were to pull any person off the street and had them read this section (even using the phrase "brothers and sisters") and then ask them if this passage teaches that women can teach and prophesy in the local assembly, no one would say, "yes." At least no one with a reading comprehension level beyond that of a 2nd grader. I am not trying to be mean here, but I think sometimes scholars can do such mental gymnastics that they can convince themselves of all kinds of things when a child reading the text would clearly know better. Scholarship should help us explore the depth and rationale of Scripture in greater detail, not turn it on its head. When scholars find ways to take explicit prohibitions (whether its women pastors, greed, or homosexual unions) and turn them into positive affirmations, we should proceed with great caution.
I have shown your statement about women not prophesying in the assembly to be false (see above).

It's 'baffling' to you because you don't seem to want to deal with the contradictions of these passages, 1 Cor 11-14.

It is false to say that I believe in women prophesying in the assembly because I have a 'already determined' this view, i.e. it is my presupposition. I have shown you that I got this meaning directly from the biblical text of 1 Cor 14:4-5 (NIV).

Pulling people off the street is not the way to do biblical exegesis when we are dealing with a translated language and a passage that is 2,000 years removed from the actual happenings. Have you ever tried to interpret Plato, Aristotle, Basil of Caesarea, Chrysostom or Augustine when you only have the English translation?

'At least no one with a reading comprehension level beyond that of a 2nd grader'. That's a disgusting put-down of my hermeneutics. Please withdraw your flaming insult.

What you have said about scholars comes with your own bias. Yes, there are scholars who have done much damage to the cause of Christ, but so have journalists and laity in the local church. There are many scholars with whom I am extremely grateful for their careful exegesis and attempts to explain the Greek and Hebrew texts with their many nuances.

I have become exhausted by your false twisting of what I've written and refusal to admit what the text states.

Oz

Works consulted
Brown, C (gen ed) 1978. The New International Dictionary of New Testament Theology, vol 3. Grand Rapids, Michigan: Zondervan Publishing House / Exeter, Devon, UK: The Paternoster Press.

Fee, G D 1987. The First Epistle to the Corinthians (The new international commentary on the New Testament, F F Bruce gen ed). Grand Rapids, Michigan: William B. Eerdmans Publishing Company.

StanJ

Lifelong student of God's Word.
May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
marksman said:
And who is to say what teaching is sound. I have been told many times that empty vessels make the most sound. Many years ago the Brethren eschewed the gifts of the spirit as they considered the teaching wasn't "sound." In the Charismatic renewal in the 60s in the UK, they were in the forefront of establishing churches that were comfortable with the gifts of the Spirit. But the teaching wasn't "sound." So who decides what is sound? Those before the charismatic renewal or those after the charismatic renewal?

Having read the story of Jim Jones, it was obvious that his followers considered his teaching very "sound."

"People of your ilk" is an attack on me and is very derogatory so I have reported it to the moderators. Such a comment suggests you need to step away from the discussion and take a big breath.
It's called the majority view, and is predicated on proper hermeneutical exegesis. Playing on the word 'sound', only proves you're not being genuine about your POV.

You obviously don't get my point about Jim Jones, as he was the one that wouldn't submit to peer or mentor teaching, just like you are advocating, although you do mention a lot of BOOKS with no actual citations or authors.

Not surprised you don't understand the meaning of ilk, but I'm not here to be your English teacher. You should take your own advice and NOT react.

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Wormwood said:
Stan,

I agree there were issues in Corinth. However, there is no historical evidence to suggest this particular congregation was having specific issues with women, or that Paul would disallow any woman to speak as a result of a few problem people..such a concept does seem chauvinistic if that is how Paul would deal with some out of line women. Would he disallow all men from teaching because some of them were heretical? Of course not. These arguments are contrived from egalitarian imagination and nothing more. Further, I agree that Paul is speaking about the congregation in 14:26 and he follows this up with saying that he does not allow women to speak in these situations. Chapter 11 is a different context and Paul is speaking about general life in the first half of the chapter...eating, hair length, and so forth. He doesn't reference the gathering of believers until the end of chapter 11, after commenting about eating, hair length and prophecy.
Well there is internal evidence that they were having problems with people just blurting out anything they wanted to or felt like saying.

The combination of material in Acts and 1 and 2 Corinthians provides a more detailed picture of Paul's relationship with the church at Corinth than we have for his relationship with any other church. Acts 18:1-18 describes Paul's first visit to the city and the founding of the church there. Paul arrived at Corinth and went to work making tents to support himself. He met Aquila and Priscilla who were in the same business and stayed with them. (Roger Hahn)

One of the purported problems was the Judeo influence along with people feeling way to free in expressing themselves, including women. In any event the following link has some good historical content.

http://www.crivoice.org/books/1corinth.html

marksman

My eldest granddaughter showing the result of her
Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
OzSpen said:
Wormwood,

Part of my being an honest exegete is to deal with, (1) What the verses mean, and (2) What the verses do not mean. By the way, what a verse or passage 'means' may be different from what it states literally. However, meaning is included in interpretation of a passage. What make 1 Cor 11 and 14 difficult to interpret is the 2,000 year distance from that culture.

You don't find it convincing that Paul would use an absolute statement in 1 Cor 14:33-34 (women to be silent in all the churches) and it be addressed to a local issue. Neither do I find it convincing. That might surprise you. So I had to examine the greater context of 1 Cor 14 and found that what Paul stated in 1 Cor 14:33-34 conflicts with 1 Cor 11:5, 'every wife who prays or prophesies'. On the surface, I have 2 options as an interpreter: (1) Accept that the God of truth who does not tell lies, actually does promote lies - contradictions. Or, (2) Pursue how these 2 Scriptures can be harmonised. That's what I've attempted to do with these emphases:

A. Women in ministry in the Old Testament

The Old Covenant had very different rules for men and women. There were special privileges given to certain male Jews and not to male Gentiles. Some had larger functions than others (e.g. the Levites). There were women in ministry in the OT. The OT congregation had almost no function.

We have OT examples of women in active ministry:
  • Miriam, the prophetess (Ex. 15:20);
  • Noadiah, the prophetess (Neh. 6:14);
  • Queen Esther (Book of Esther);
  • Deborah, a prophetess (Judges 4:4);
  • Huldah, the prophetess (2 Kings 22:14; 2 Chron. 34:22);
  • Isaiah’s wife was a prophetess (Isa. 8:3);
What does a prophetess do?

6pointblue-small.png
Judges 4:4-6 says that Deborah, the prophetess was “judging Israel at that time. . . the people of Israel came up to her for judgment.” To Barak she prophesied, “Has not the Lord, the God of Israel, commanded you, ‘Go, gather your men at Mount Tabor.…’”

6pointblue-small.png
2 Kings 22:15 says of Huldah, the prophetess, that “she said to them, ‘Thus says the Lord, the God of Israel: ‘Tell the man who sent you to me, Thus says the Lord....”

The OT prophetess was a public person who heard the voice of God and delivered it publicly to God’s people, Israel, and to individuals. She was a “thus says the Lord” person.

My conclusion: There were definitely women in active ministry to men in the Old Testament.

B. The New Covenant and women

Luke 2:36 speaks of Anna, the prophetess. This was prior to the passion-resurrection of Jesus. What was the situation after the resurrection?
  • 1 Cor. 11:5, “And every woman who prays or prophesies with her head uncovered dishonors her head”; so women had active public ministries.
  • I Cor. 14:26, ” What then shall we say, brothers [and sisters]? [3c] When you come together, everyone has a hymn, or a word of instruction, a revelation, a tongue or an interpretation. All of these must be done for the strengthening of the church.” The word, “adelphoi” means “brothers” but it also means “brothers and sisters.” See I Cor. 11:2-16 where women are addressed (v. 5). See also Phil. 4:1-3 where Paul addresses the believers as “brothers” (adelphoi) in v. 1, but then, in the next sentence, in vv. 2-3 Paul addresses two women. So, the term “brother” in Paul’s writings refers to men and women.
  • Gal. 3:28, “There is neither Jew nor Greek, slave nor free, male nor female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus.
  • Eph. 5:21, ” Submit to one another out of reverence for Christ.”
A critical dimension of understanding the Bible is that God, being the God of all knowledge, is not going to give teachings in Old and New Testaments that contradict each another. He is the God of truth.

Therefore, it should not be surprising that God would tell us in advance what would happen with the coming of the New Covenant. He prophesied through the prophet Joel what to expect with the outpouring of the Holy Spirit in the New Covenant, from the Day of Pentecost onwards. In Joel 2:28 it was prophesied: “And it shall come to pass afterward, that I will pour out my Spirit on all flesh; your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, your old men shall dream dreams, and your young men shall see visions.”

Wormwood, your claim is that, 'In my estimation, Paul recognizes women's ability to speak, teach and prophecy but does not permit these activities in the corporate assembly. It seems evident to me that Paul is not specifically talking about the corporate setting in his discussion on prophecy and women in the beginning of Chapter 11'.

It is your 'estimation' and seems to harmonise with your closing women down in public ministry among men. In context of 1 Cor chs 11-14, the ministry of prophecy was manifested in the Christian assembly. To deny this is to go against the context.

That change has come about because of the New Covenant in which we live in the 21st century. The law of God is written on the human heart. The Spirit indwells people who repent, believe and trust Jesus as their Lord and Saviour – Jews and Gentiles, men and women, slaves and non-slaves. Special clergy classes of people are abandoned as the Spirit gifts all people for ministry, males and females.

C. If women are to be silenced from public ministry in the church....

And this includes ministry among men, it will violate God’s New Covenant. From the Day of Pentecost onwards, Joel 2:28-32 began to be fulfilled according to Acts 2:17, “And in the last days [beginning with Pentecost] . . . I will pour out my Spirit on all flesh, and your sons and daughters shall prophesy”. We can’t engage in “prophecy” in the church gathering and be silent at the same time. So, the New Covenant has done away with the silencing of women in public ministry among a mixed audience of males and females. Therefore, 1 Cor 14:33-34 is in contradiction with this teaching and a better interpretation needs to be sought.

Some of Paul’s writings make the teaching ministry available to all believers, including women. In Colossians 3:16, “teaching and admonishing” is the responsibility of “one another,” which must obviously include male and female. If “teaching and admonishing” are restricted to males only, consistency of interpretation in context should require that compassion, kindness, gentleness, patience, bearing with, forgiveness and love (Col. 3:12-14 NIV) must be practised by males only. Such a conclusion regarding Christian character is untenable.

This also is the teaching in 1 Cor. 14:26 where “each one” (male and female) in the church is encouraged to minister via a psalm, teaching, revelation, tongue and interpretation when the church gathers. If women are restricted from teaching, consistency of interpretation requires their silence with psalms, revelations, tongues and interpretations. Paul affirmed the teaching ministry of women (Acts 18:26, Titus 2:3) and commended women in ministry (Rom. 16:1-15; 1 Cor. 11:5; Phil. 4:2-3.).

I find too many implausible 'holes' in the anti-women in ministry position.

Oz

I am not sure that you are convinced about your arguments as your tendency to descend into shouting would suggest otherwise.

marksman

Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
StanJ said:
[removed]

The Barrd has nothing to apologize for in correcting your errors, even though she is a woman.
What errors are you referring to? Making wild generalizations add nothing to the discussion.

marksman

Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
StanJ said:
It's called the majority view, and is predicated on proper hermeneutical exegesis. Playing on the word 'sound', only proves you're not being genuine about your POV.

You obviously don't get my point about Jim Jones, as he was the one that wouldn't submit to peer or mentor teaching, just like you are advocating, although you do mention a lot of BOOKS with no actual citations or authors.

Not surprised you don't understand the meaning of ilk, but I'm not here to be your English teacher. You should take your own advice and NOT react.
​And who decides what is the majority view? You? Using that methodology we would have to accept that being addressed as Reverend, Canon, Right Reverend, Rector, Priest, Coadjutor, Curate, Dean, Lay Canon, Metropolitan, Prebendary, Precentor, Primate, Provost, Vicar, Suffragan Bishop are backed by scripture because these are all titles used by the Anglican church and as we know they are in the majority.

​Yes I do know the meaning of the word ilk and that is why I have reported you because it is pejorative.

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
Brisbane, Qld., Australia
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
marksman said:
I am not sure that you are convinced about your arguments as your tendency to descend into shouting would suggest otherwise.
Since you did not deal with the content of my discussion, you gave me another red herring here. You seem to be incapable of addressing the issues I raised. There is no shouting from me. They are simply headings in a larger font.

Bye, Bye
Oz :wub:

Barrd

His Humble Servant
Jul 27, 2015
...following a Jewish carpenter...
marksman said:
What errors are you referring to? Making wild generalizations add nothing to the discussion.
He is referring to the errors I called you on.
Junia is a girl's name. Adding an "s" doesn't make her a boy.
And "kinsman" is a generic term, like "mankind".
I shouldn't have to explain these simple things to you.

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
marksman said:
​And who decides what is the majority view? You? Using that methodology we would have to accept that being addressed as Reverend, Canon, Right Reverend, Rector, Priest, Coadjutor, Curate, Dean, Lay Canon, Metropolitan, Prebendary, Precentor, Primate, Provost, Vicar, Suffragan Bishop are backed by scripture because these are all titles used by the Anglican church and as we know they are in the majority.

​Yes I do know the meaning of the word ilk and that is why I have reported you because it is pejorative.
The majority does, and you apparently have lost grasp as to the context of this thread. The Anglican church is FAR from being a majority in anything.

Apparently not, but then again you reporting my use of it already confirmed you didn't.

Here, you can even read how Oxford defines it, as all you seem to accept are sources from the UK.

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/ilk

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
marksman said:
Based on how you post, I would think you would be used to that style? In any event, you have already been shown, so repeating myself will NOT help you.

marksman

Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
OzSpen said:
That's because it wasn't a red herring fallacy. It's time you learned the nature of fallacies and when you commit them. I know I'm engaging in thinking that is impossible for you to grasp. Sadly. :popcorn:
​The barrd posts a list of women's names without comment and it is not a red herring. I post a list of men's names without comment and it is a red herring. You will have to forgive me if I take that with a grain of salt. Ever heard the saying "what is good for the goose is good for the gander?"

marksman

Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
StanJ said:
Based on how you post, I would think you would be used to that style? In any event, you have already been shown, so repeating myself will NOT help you.
​What style? As I said, I cannot understand abstracts. For the autistic person that is introducing new ideas without explaining them which is what "used to that style" is.

marksman

Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
The Barrd said:
He is referring to the errors I called you on.
Junia is a girl's name. Adding an "s" doesn't make her a boy.
And "kinsman" is a generic term, like "mankind".
I shouldn't have to explain these simple things to you.
How come the people on this board cannot answer for themselves?

marksman

Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
StanJ said:
The majority does, and you apparently have lost grasp as to the context of this thread. The Anglican church is FAR from being a majority in anything.

Apparently not, but then again you reporting my use of it already confirmed you didn't.

Here, you can even read how Oxford defines it, as all you seem to accept are sources from the UK.

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/ilk
The Anglican Church has an estimated membership of 85 million. if that is not a majority I do not know what is.

Once again you are calling me a liar so I will report it to the moderators.

marksman

Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
OzSpen said:
Since you did not deal with the content of my discussion, you gave me another red herring here. You seem to be incapable of addressing the issues I raised. There is no shouting from me. They are simply headings in a larger font.

Bye, Bye
Oz :wub:
Simple headings in a larger font? I don't think so as no one needs to use headings THAT LARGE AND BOLDED.