Headship, Submission and Women in Ministry

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Barrd

His Humble Servant
Jul 27, 2015
...following a Jewish carpenter...
OzSpen said:
The Barrd,

In this thread, those who conclude in support of women in public teaching, prophesying and other ministry, have provided the exegesis. We have attempted to rebut the opponents.

What is the end result? There is no movement by either of us. Does that mean that traditionalists will choose to continue to go to traditionalist churches that close women down in public vocal ministry to a mixed audience? Does it mean that egalitarians will have to choose churches that already accept this biblical perspective of open ministry for women?

Is it time to give up trying to provide biblical evidence in support of one's position? If this thread is any indication, there is no movement either way by anyone when the evidence is presented.

Is it time to quit trying to provide the biblical evidence on this topic?

Oz
Oz

No, I don't think it's time to quit.

I have been on the frontlines of the fight against abortion in my country for around 35 years. I have been a volunteer at a local abortion alternative center for most of that time. For some time I was "The Media Representative" for the Alabama Pro-Life Coalition.

It's a lost cause, I'm afraid. In the years since I've been involved, the situation for our unborn has become ever worse, until we actually have "partial birth abortions", in which the abortionist severs the spine of the baby as he is on his way through the birth canal. Shameful. But there is no indication that on demand abortion is ever going to go away.

Yet we keep fighting. And occasionally, we win...small victories, to be sure, but every time we can help a woman in a crisis pregnancy, we save the life of one baby. Considering that we are currently aborting over one and a half million helpless infants a year, that doesn't seem like much...but it makes a huge difference to that one babe and his family.

In the same way, my friend, your love and support has made a huge difference to one old lady. Who knows? Your support just might help some other woman to find the courage to step out in faith because of what she has read in these threads. You may never know what a difference you make in someone else's life.

But God does...

Love,

The Barrd

Wormwood

Chaps
Apr 9, 2013
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The issue I raised with the OT examples was that of prophetesses (e.g. Deborah) who spoke to Israel (including men) for God. So here we have deliberate, authoritative women in ministry. But you seem to want to deny that authoritative role for OT women to have any continuing expression in the NT. At no point have I suggested an elimination of role distinctions. That's a straw man you have invented against my position.
First, being a judge was more of a civil role. I do not deny any civil roles for women in society. What you do not find is women serving as priests in the Temple or as leaders in the synagogue throughout Jewish history. Again, God made it very clear that women were not to serve in the priesthood roles but this obviously did not prevent God from using women in other capacities, such as prophecy, judges or even leading men into battle on rare occasions. So, again, I think you are setting up a false choice here. This is like arguing that because Deborah was a judge, women should be able to serve as the High Priest of Israel. No Jew would make such an argument. The Law explicitly prohibited it. Likewise, just because God uses women in various capacities in the NT does not, therefore, render meaningless explicit prohibitions made on several occasions in the NT about the roles of women in the assembly of believers. If your argument is that women can serve in any and every capacity in the church, then how is that not a removal of role distinctions in the corporate assembly? Did I misunderstand you there? If so, I am happy to be corrected.

There is a major difficulty in understanding the meaning of authentein (to have authority) as it appears only this one time in the whole NT and because it is a present tense imperative of authenteo it means that these women were continuously having authority.
I do not agree with this. First, Paul is not referring to any specific women here. He is speaking about women in general. "I do not permit a woman to teach or have authority over a man..." So it is not "these women" but any woman. There is no demonstrative pronoun here to suggest that Paul is referring to a specific scenario as you imply. Thus, it is the command, not the scenario that is present tense. Paul is not allowing this. Hence the present tense.

But what's the meaning of authenteo? Arndt & Gingrich's Greek lexicon gives the meaning as 'have authority, domineer ... over someone' (1957:120). In the word study edited by Colin Brown, The New International Dictionary of New Testament Theology, vol 3, Brown's word study on gune (woman) points out that '1 Tim. 2:12might be interpreted not as an absolute prohibition of women teaching but as a repudiation of allowing them to domineer and lay down the law. The hapax legomenon authentein can mean both to have authority over and to domineer' (Brown 1978:1066).
I already addressed this issue. This is simply not accurate. A study was done on this word by H. Scott Baldwin. He found 82 occurrences of this word in Greek literature from the 1st century BC to the 12 century AD. He concludes that in every case, but two, the word did not carry a negative connotation. The two cases where it did have a negative connotation were both over 300 years removed from the NT usage. The fact is that the word does not carry a negative connotation. It was almost always used as authority in the general sense. (Baldwin, “Word” and “authenteo”) (See also, George W. Knight III, “Authenteō in Reference to Women in 1 Timothy 2:12,” in New Testament Studies, 30 (1984), 143-157. He researched all the secular uses of this verb cited in the Arndt & Gingrich lexicon; only one (of uncertain date) means “murder,” and the rest mean “to have authority” in a neutral sense.)

Adelphoi (brothers and sisters) and NOT 'brothers' only overrides nothing. In 1 Cor 14:26 (NIV) we have this statement by Paul that affirms women in teaching ministry: 'What then shall we say, brothers and sisters? When you come together, each of you has a hymn, or a word of instruction, a revelation, a tongue or an interpretation. Everything must be done so that the church may be built up'.

Again, I guess my point is that even if Paul is saying that women were involved in this teaching, words of instruction or whatever in 14:26, he clearly says this is not appropriate for women in 34 & 35. He gives zero indication that this was a temporary prohibition or that this was only due to some particular circumstance in this congregation. Paul knew and encouraged churches to circulate his letters. So I just do not know how you can say 14:26 affirms women teaching in the assembly when 34 & 35 explicitly prohibits not only prophesying in the assembly, but any kind of speech that would come across as placing them in a position of authority rather than submission (as the Law demands according to Paul).

Where did I raise Eph 5:21? I didn't. This is a straw man.
You most certainly did. Post #35 you listed it under the heading "The New Covenant and Women." Maybe you just cut an pasted it from another source and you didnt mean to use it. If that is the case though, you should examine more closely the information you are citing for your points. I can only address the information on the screen as I see it.

1. This is a false statement. Paul DOES mention the assembly of believers when referring to women who prophesy. In 1 Cor 14:4 (NIV), it states, 'Anyone who speaks in a tongue edifies themselves, but the one who prophesies edifies the church'.
I think you are dodging my points. Are you suggesting prophecy only took place in the church? We both know that is not the case and there are a host of texts to prove it (I can list some if you are not convinced). As I already showed, Paul is speaking of general life and Christian behavior in the onset of chapter 11 and then shifts to talking about the assembly late in chapter 11. He is explicit in this shift by talking about "when you gather together...." He also uses these phrases in 14 to show that he is talking about the assembly, and in this context he prohibits women from teaching. It seems very clear to me. It seems our only options are:

1. Paul contradicts himself (we both agree this is not true)
2. There is a specific situation in Corinth that Paul is addressing which is why he does not allow women to speak in the assembly or particular function such as house churches (as Fee argues).
3. Paul affirms women can prophesy but he does not permit them to do so in the assembly.

As I pointed out, #3 makes the most sense because a) Paul never mentions a specific situation in Corinth and certainly does not indicate the only speaking he has in mind is disruptive questions, b ) it seems a little too convenient that in both cases where Paul demands women not teach but be submissive that he just happens to be dealing with very unique situations (disruptive questions or heresy) rather than the more obvious conclusion that he consistently doesnt want women to do this (and he does mention "all the churches" and "I do not permit" which indicates anyting but specific circumstances) and c) Paul uses "the Law" as rationale for them not speaking in the assembly....not their lack of education or simply being disruptive.
We most certainly have contextual reasons to indicate women who were told to 'remain silent' were to 'inquire about something' and 'should ask their own husbands at home' (1 Cor 14:34-35 NIV).
I would encourage you to read the text again. The reference to "asking their husbands at home" is not the only kind of speech Paul is speaking about here, but an example. Otherwise, it would seem verses 33b & 34 are completely meaningless. I do not accept that.

3. You have imposed your own meaning at this point and not given what I wrote.
Can you explain how I did this? So far you have listed two Fuller articles and yourself have listed ignorance and false religions as reason for Paul's prohibition. If this is not what you believe, then please explain what you do believe. I can only assume you would cite a source because you agree with it and therefore it is reflective of your views.

4. Again, this is your imposition on what I stated. I will not continue to engage with you in discussion if you distort what I wrote like this. We can't have a responsible discussion when you invent what I wrote.
Lets not make this a semantics game. I said, "You are asking me to believe this based on your interpretation." If your view is that Paul is prohibiting women from teaching due to unique circumstances in Corinth and Ephesus, then I dont know how else to see this. Clearly, you are suggesting that Paul is prohibiting all women from teaching in this area (be it house churches or otherwise) and we both see he uses "the Law" as rationale. You are asking me to believe that Paul would prohibit all women from teaching in this area and would use the Law as rationale even though the cause is because of some unique situation in this city. How is this not accurate? You listed links that said these passages were given because of unique situations in these churches. That is what the articles said and that is what I am inferring you believe. How do you expect me to address your views if you are listing articles and pasting information that gives rationale that you do not agree with? I cannot read your mind. In fact, in your article you quote Gordon Fee who says,

If that is what is being forbidden (and certainty eludes us here), then it is probably because some of them have been so terribly deceived by false teachers, who are specifically abusing the OT (cf. 1:7; Titus 3:9). At least that is the point Paul will pick up in verses 14 and 15′ (Fee 1988:72-73, emphasis in original).
The clear implication here by Fee is that Paul is simply forbidding particular women from teaching in house churches because of their propensity to heresy (although perhaps they could teach in other settings).

Then one of the Fuller articles said:
The view that seems best to me is to understand the speaking prohibited here to women to refer only to disruptive questions that wives (usually uneducated in the culture of Paul’s time) were asking their husbands.
Thus, we must conclude that Paul singles out women from questioning because they were more ignorant and more apt to be disruptive in their questions (why not just say, men and women, dont be disruptive in your questions, but discuss them at home.)

In any event, I am not interested in trying to justify all the nuances here. I'd prefer it if you just state what you believe on the topic (as I have done) rather than just quoting a bunch of articles and then debating about what you actually believe and what you do not. Again, there is no historical evidence to prove these congregations had specific issues related to women teaching, that there was specific heresy being addressed due to the the Temple Artemus in the city, or anything of the sort. Moreover, there is no evidence that the word for authority was a specific negative term or that Paul is addressing only certain women teaching in certain situations (house churches). All of these arguments have been fabricated by egalitarians. Please show me some historical documents that show there were issues in these churches with regards to these matters if you have them. There is just a host of hypotheticals in your approach to these texts which cause the natural reading of the text to be entirely changed based on assumptions about the situation. I find it even more interesting that non of these supposed clear understandings of the Greek and historical setting behind these texts were ever in doubt until the rise of egalitarianism in the West. It is very much like all the new discoveries of Greek words related to homosexuality which now show that Paul really didnt mean homosexuality in general, but only certain abusive types. Just seems so interesting that when a culture suddenly decides a certain issue is right that we find all these new Greek words and studies that imply the texts dont really mean what they appear to say.

5. My explanation of the meaning of authentein (above) explains further why what you say about what I mean is incorrect.
And as I have already shown, there is no substance to this claim. This was an errant claim made by feminists which has later been shown to not be true. Studies have been done which show that the word is not linked to a similar negative word in the Greek. People still cite the errant work though because it proves the point that is culturally acceptable.

1. As I've demonstrated, Paul did mention women prophesying in the church - for the edification of the church (1 Cor 14:4-5 NIV). In these two verses ekklesia (church) is used. I can't understand how you are ignorant of such a basic demonstration of prophesy for the edification of the church - not the individual.
Can you show me where Paul specifically mentions women in this context? I can show you where he specifically mentions women in chapter 14 and he tells them, in the context of prophets speaking, that they should remain silent. Prophecy does edify others, but it was practiced both inside and outside the church gathering. Its like you assume that all references to prophecy include women prophesying in the church, but when he says women must be silent you say that this only refers to disruptive qeustions and not to prophesy as such. However that is not how the text reads. Paul talks about order when people prophesy. Then he says women are not allowed to speak, but must "be in submission as the Law also says." And then he goes on to say that if they have questions, they should ask their husbands at home. So, Paul is not saying, "Women should not speak, and what I mean by that is that they should not be disruptive in questioning, but they can still teach, prophesy and lead." Ive never seen such gymnastics to take a very simple statement and turn it on its head.

“If a revelation is made to another sitting there, let the first be silent. For you can all prophesy one by one, so that all may learn and all be encouraged, and the spirits of prophets are subject to prophets. For God is not a God of confusion but of peace. As in all the churches of the saints, the women should keep silent in the churches. For they are not permitted to speak, but should be in submission, as the Law also says. If there is anything they desire to learn, let them ask their husbands at home. For it is shameful for a woman to speak in church.” (1 Corinthians 14:30–35, ESV)
I dont now how anyone can read this and conclude Paul is only referring to disruptive questions by ignorant women. He is talking about prophecy, teaching, disruptive questions and any kind of verbal activity that would suggest a lack of submission to leadership in the assembly that the Law demands.

It's 'baffling' to you because you don't seem to want to deal with the contradictions of these passages, 1 Cor 11-14.
I dont know how you can say this. I very clearly articulated how they are not contradictions. One is dealing with eating, hair length, and prophecy and so forth in general Christian life whereas the other is dealing specifically with the assembly and the importance of women showing a submissive spirit in the midst of church leadership which coincides with both the Law and creation. You may not like my view, but I dont know how you can say I havent dealt with the passages and their meaning.

Wormwood

Chaps
Apr 9, 2013
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well there is internal evidence that they were having problems with people just blurting out anything they wanted to or felt like saying.

The combination of material in Acts and 1 and 2 Corinthians provides a more detailed picture of Paul's relationship with the church at Corinth than we have for his relationship with any other church. Acts 18:1-18 describes Paul's first visit to the city and the founding of the church there. Paul arrived at Corinth and went to work making tents to support himself. He met Aquila and Priscilla who were in the same business and stayed with them. (Roger Hahn)

One of the purported problems was the Judeo influence along with people feeling way to free in expressing themselves, including women. In any event the following link has some good historical content.

http://www.crivoice....s/1corinth.html
I do not disagree that perhaps questions were disruptive and that was an issue. However, I disagree with the notion that this is the only issue. Otherwise, I think Paul would have just specifically addressed it rather than talking about women not speaking, the Law demanding submission and that it is "shameful for a woman to speak in church." The real issue here seems to be an attitude of submission. Certainly disruptive questions were perhaps a way that chaos was being generated, but to say this is the only issue Paul is concerned with just seems to ignore the text itself.

Also, I agree with the historical background of Corinth. I am not disputing that. What I am disputing is the notion that there was a group of women that were causing chaos with their questions. We have no historical evidence of that. Perhaps this is the reason Paul mentions this, or perhaps Paul was just giving an example of how women can express submissive behavior and still receive adequate education. We just do not know, and to infer a whole scenario and then use that inference as a means of dismissing Paul's demand for submission and silence seems out of place to me. It truely seems to be circular reasoning. I.e. "Paul might have mentioned women questioning at home because perhaps they were having issues with disruptive questions. We know the women were being disruptive and Paul wasnt limiting women because of what Paul said about their questions." You have to infer the first to arrive at the second conclusion, but then people demand the conclusion as a means of affirming the inference! That, as I see it, is circular reasoning. I am appreciating the discussion so far, Stan. Thank you.

Barrd

His Humble Servant
Jul 27, 2015
Wormwood said:
I do not disagree that perhaps questions were disruptive and that was an issue. However, I disagree with the notion that this is the only issue. Otherwise, I think Paul would have just specifically addressed it rather than talking about women not speaking, the Law demanding submission and that it is "shameful for a woman to speak in church." The real issue here seems to be an attitude of submission. Certainly disruptive questions were perhaps a way that chaos was being generated, but to say this is the only issue Paul is concerned with just seems to ignore the text itself.

Also, I agree with the historical background of Corinth. I am not disputing that. What I am disputing is the notion that there was a group of women that were causing chaos with their questions. We have no historical evidence of that. Perhaps this is the reason Paul mentions this, or perhaps Paul was just giving an example of how women can express submissive behavior and still receive adequate education. We just do not know, and to infer a whole scenario and then use that inference as a means of dismissing Paul's demand for submission and silence seems out of place to me. It truely seems to be circular reasoning. I.e. "Paul might have mentioned women questioning at home because perhaps they were having issues with disruptive questions. We know the women were being disruptive and Paul wasnt limiting women because of what Paul said about their questions." You have to infer the first to arrive at the second conclusion, but then people demand the conclusion as a means of affirming the inference! That, as I see it, is circular reasoning. I am appreciating the discussion so far, Stan. Thank you.
You guys do realize that Corinth was a seaport city, right? These were not well-mannered ladies we are talking about...these were "harbor chicks".
I suspect you also realize that these people would have followed the pattern they were used to...men and women did not sit together in a pew, as in our churches today. The men would have been in one area, probably a "sitting room", and the women in another, probably a kitchen area of the home, seeing to refreshments as they listened to the men's talk.
I can almost see the scene in my mind...the men preaching and teaching, and the women listening, when subject comes up that confuses one of the gals in the kitchen.
So, she does what comes naturally. "Hey, Abner! What does this mean?"
Poor Abner turns red to the roots of his hair, as the rest of the men glare at him.
And, of course, Paul would tell her, "You need to be quiet during the worship time. If you have a question, wait and ask your husband at home."

StanJ

Lifelong student of God's Word.
May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
marksman said:
And how many denominations can boast a membership of 85 million? You do like splitting hairs don't you. I get the impression you have membership of one.
I boast ONLY in being a Christian, but there are many bigger than the COE, and I gave you a couple of links which you obviously ignored.

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
marksman said:
​As I have already told you, the verses do not need any explanation as they are self explanatory. You have gone out of your way to let me know that you know everything and I know nothing so why is it that you can't see what is so obvious. I guess to admit to that fact would mean admitting what you said about Elders not being leaders of the church was totally wrong and judging by your comments that is anathema to you.
You definitely have opinion, but NO exegesis, and I'm not the only one that has pointed it out to you. The only thing close to anathema to me is YOU.

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Wormwood said:

I'm not advocating this was the ONLY issue, but there was an issue of lack of order and the way Paul addressed it was to deal with the issue that were creating the disorder or chaos if you will.
The issue of women speaking out IMO, have to do with the Judeo influence at that time in Corinth. Commonly there was a mehitzah (barrier) and that women we separated by it from the men, as was common in the temple ezrat nashim (Women’s Court). It was not uncommon for women to yell over to their husbands to ask for clarification of what then Rabbi had said. Some scholars think this may have been an issue in Corinth, because it is not dealt with anywhere else. The issue in 1 Tim 2 is in regards to the family setting, and some try to combine these two when in context they cannot be combined to set a precedent.
I don't perceive it as circular, more as inductive, given the internal and external evidence we do have, which is not enough to confirm a deduction.
Bottom line is most scholars do agree that Paul was NOT anti women in all of his other teachings, and as such that has to be our starting point.

Barrd

His Humble Servant
Jul 27, 2015
StanJ said:
I'm not advocating this was the ONLY issue, but there was an issue of lack of order and the way Paul addressed it was to deal with the issue that were creating the disorder or chaos if you will.
The issue of women speaking out IMO, have to do with the Judeo influence at that time in Corinth. Commonly there was a mehitzah (barrier) and that women we separated by it from the men, as was common in the temple ezrat nashim (Women’s Court). It was not uncommon for women to yell over to their husbands to ask for clarification of what then Rabbi had said. Some scholars think this may have been an issue in Corinth, because it is not dealt with anywhere else. The issue in 1 Tim 2 is in regards to the family setting, and some try to combine these two when in context they cannot be combined to set a precedent.
I don't perceive it as circular, more as inductive, given the internal and external evidence we do have, which is not enough to confirm a deduction.
Bottom line is most scholars do agree that Paul was NOT anti women in all of his other teachings, and as such that has to be our starting point.
Didn't I say something like this a few minutes ago?
Only I said it in simple, non-scholar type language...you know, like the Bible is actually written in... :p

How I do love sitting at the feet of you scholarly types...teach me!
But do be gentle...after all, I'm only a woman... ;)

:wub:

Wormwood

Chaps
Apr 9, 2013
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
yes, but it seems the point you are making is that Paul was not really asking for submission by silence, but rather just was encouraging order and trying to tell women not to be distracting. I just think he would say that if that is all he meant. Yet he does not say that at all. I dont think we should dismiss what he does say by inferring things he does not say.

The issue in 1 Tim 2 is in regards to the family setting, and some try to combine these two when in context they cannot be combined to set a precedent.
I dont see how you can say 1 Tim 2 is dealing with the family. 1 Tim 3 is about appointing elders and deacons in the local church. There does not seem to be any abrupt change in context from chapter 2 to chapter 3. Can you explain to me what you see in chapter 2 that indicates it has nothing to do with the assembly of believers when chapter 3 is dealing with appointing elders in the church?

I must say I object to the "anti-woman" terms you and Oz have been using. This is like suggesting that encouraging a worker to be submissive to his boss or a citizen to be submissive to governing authorities is "anti-worker" or "anti-citizens." I think the negative view on submission is a product more of our Western culture than anything Paul or 1st century Christians would have understood. I think we project those sensibilities onto the text when they were very far from the inspired author's line of thinking.

Barrd, I have tried to clearly explain that these teachings in the NT have nothing to do with ability or value of women anymore than a child has less value than a parent or a worker has less value than his/her boss. This is about roles and not intelligence/value. My wife is a brilliant woman and I know many brilliant women who cover their heads and learn in silence in the assembly (i am not advocating head covering) because they feel this honors the Lord Jesus. I find this to be admirable and something God adores..and is not an insult to women. So let us not confuse the issues. My aim is to honor God and his word, not dishonor women or infer that they have less value or intelligence. If that has been communicated, it is not at all my intent and I apologize.

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
The Barrd said:
Didn't I say something like this a few minutes ago?
Only I said it in simple, non-scholar type language...you know, like the Bible is actually written in... :p

:wub:
Sorry I didn't read you post, but I know WW likes my type of response, so hence my reply to him.

Don't think you'd like to sit at my feet....too much dog hair down there. ^_^

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
yes, but it seems the point you are making is that Paul was not really asking for submission by silence, but rather just was encouraging order and trying to tell women not to be distracting. I just think he would say that if that is all he meant. Yet he does not say that at all. I dont think we should dismiss what he does say by inferring things he does not say.
I think silence is exactly what he wanted, but again not linked to teaching as such. As this did seem to be a unique situation, I have no problem using inference.

I dont see how you can say 1 Tim 2 is dealing with the family. 1 Tim 3 is about appointing elders and deacons in the local church. There does not seem to be any abrupt change in context from chapter 2 to chapter 3. Can you explain to me what you see in chapter 2 that indicates it has nothing to do with the assembly of believers when chapter 3 is dealing with appointing elders in the church?
Because the context is NOT about a corporate setting as 1 Cor 14 was. It is about the lives of believers, and the Greek connotes a husband and wife in this regard.

I must say I object to the "anti-woman" terms you and Oz have been using. This is like suggesting that encouraging a worker to be submissive to his boss or a citizen to be submissive to governing authorities is "anti-worker" or "anti-citizens." I think the negative view on submission is a product more of our Western culture than anything Paul or 1st century Christians would have understood. I think we project those sensibilities onto the text when they were very far from the inspired author's line of thinking.
I'm not talking about submission WW....I'm talking about the POV that women may not or should not teach in a corporate setting. IMO, that is anti women. Not sure why you would be offended by that term if you are not anti women?

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
Brisbane, Qld., Australia
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Wormwood said:
First, being a judge was more of a civil role. I do not deny any civil roles for women in society.
Wormwood,

Your claim is false that the primary role for a woman prophetess was a civil one. I find that to be dishonest with the data.

There are five women who are stated to be prophetesses in the OT. They are:

• Miriam (Ex 15:20);
  • Deborah (Judg 4:4);
  • Huldah (2 Ki 22:14; 2 Chron 34:22);
  • Noadiah (Neh 6:14);
  • the prophetess whom Isaiah impregnated (Isa 8:3).
A prophetess was a female prophet. Her role was the same as for any prophet.

A prophet or prophetess was called by God, and was,

(1) a mouthpiece for God, and spoke on behalf of God (Ex 7:1-2);

(2) a seer (1 Sam 9:9); so God gave the prophet/prophetess the gift of foreknowledge of what God was going to do.

(3) one to whom God's secrets were revealed (Amos 3:7).

These predictions or revelations from the prophet/prophetess as a seer had to be tested according to Deut 18:20-22 and Jer 28:9. When what is prophesied is fulfilled, then we know that person is a true prophet/prophetess. We know from the evidence of Jonah and Ninevah that some prophecies have fulfillment that is contingent on the people's response (Jonah 3-4).

According to Judges 4, the ministry of Deborah, the prophetess was that of being a judge of Israel, but this ministry also included her insight as a seer for Barak, 'Has not the Lord God of Israel, command you, "Go, gather your men at Mount Tabor, taking 10,000 from the people of Naphtali and the people of Zebulun"' (Judg 4:6 ESV).

You have denigrated the ministry of Deborah, the prophetess, to your view of a judge when this ministry included that of being a seer who spoke for God.

I will not go round and found the mulberry tree of going nowhere with your NT view of women in ministry. I have written all that I intend to write to you. You haven't accepted any of that, so spending hours now on exegesis is not going to convince you. I have articles to write for journals that will be more productive for me.

Oz

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
Brisbane, Qld., Australia
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I must say I object to the "anti-woman" terms you and Oz have been using. This is like suggesting that encouraging a worker to be submissive to his boss or a citizen to be submissive to governing authorities is "anti-worker" or "anti-citizens."
The facts are, Wormwood, that when you oppose women in public ministry to men through women's teaching, you are actually practicising an anti-women in ministry perspective. Facts are stubborn things. Your view opposes the didache (teaching/instruction) of women in the assembly as stated in 1 Cor 14:6 (NIV); 1 Cor 14:26 (NIV).

Oz

Barrd

His Humble Servant
Jul 27, 2015
StanJ said:
Sorry I didn't read you post, but I know WW likes my type of response, so hence my reply to him.

Don't think you'd like to sit at my feet....too much dog hair down there. ^_^
LOL....you are talking to the proud owner of an adorable little one=eyed Shih Tzu. Or does he actually own me? Sometimes it is kinda hard to tell.
Anyway, don't talk to me about dog hair! Ugh!! :angry:

Barrd

His Humble Servant
Jul 27, 2015
Wormwood said:

Barrd, I have tried to clearly explain that these teachings in the NT have nothing to do with ability or value of women anymore than a child has less value than a parent or a worker has less value than his/her boss. This is about roles and not intelligence/value. My wife is a brilliant woman and I know many brilliant women who cover their heads and learn in silence in the assembly (i am not advocating head covering) because they feel this honors the Lord Jesus. I find this to be admirable and something God adores..and is not an insult to women. So let us not confuse the issues. My aim is to honor God and his word, not dishonor women or infer that they have less value or intelligence. If that has been communicated, it is not at all my intent and I apologize.
WW, every eight weeks or so, it comes around to my turn to lead the services in our little home church. I generally spend a great deal of time on making myself and my home ready for this responsibility. I also spend at least two afternoons a week doing visitations...the hospital, the old folks' home, our local jail...etc. Sometimes, these visits include a bit of preaching. Most of the time there are at least two of us doing this together, and sometimes we sing, as well, or I might recite a bit of poetry...usually my own, but not always. (For a peek at my stuff, follow the link beneath my signature...which, by the way, is also mine, and not a quote from someone else.)
Then, along comes one of my favorite internet buddies, and tells me that I have no right to do these things, even though I've been doing them successfully for several years, and even though the rest of my church...yes, including the men...all love me, and I love them.

I'm not just another pretty face, WW...

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
LOL....you are talking to the proud owner of an adorable little one=eyed Shih Tzu. Or does he actually own me? Sometimes it is kinda hard to tell.
Anyway, don't talk to me about dog hair! Ugh!! :angry:
We actually have TWO dogs, so I bought a Dyson vacuum that specializes in pet hair. WORKS GREAT!