Hellfire and brimstone has given way to eternal separation from God. - Why?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Actually they tell us that God does whatsoever He pleases and doesn't ask our permission.
Does God operate at a lower standard of morality than he holds us to?

We can't kill people and get away with it, right?

/

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Does God operate at a lower standard of morality than he holds us to?

We can't kill people and get away with it, right?

/
1 Samuel 2:6
6 "The LORD kills and makes alive;

He answers to NOBODY! Not even you.

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ok, you clearly reject the Christian Bible. Why are you in a Christian forum? I think you're treading on dangerous ground.
Of course you do. I'm not surprised.
I'm not afraid to ask difficult questions. It seems that you were trained to not question anything, right?

/

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Have you read your JW bible?
My JW Bible is the same as any other modern translation, only its more accurate IMO.
It’s not the only one I use BTW.

What does my Bible say that yours does not?
NWT Luke 16
“Also, the rich man died and was buried. And in the Grave he lifted up his eyes, being in torment, and he saw Abraham from afar and Lazʹa·rus by his side. 24 So he called and said, ‘Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazʹa·rus to dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my tongue, for I am in anguish in this blazing fire.’ 25 But Abraham said, ‘Child, remember that you had your fill of good things in your lifetime, but Lazʹa·rus for his part received bad things. Now, however, he is being comforted here, but you are in anguish.
You do understand that this is a parable and that taking it literally makes it complete nonsense.

Look what you highlighted that appears to agree with your errors…..but it just shows that you have never done a lick of decent Bible study in your life, chained to an archaic relic of the past that is so innaccurate that no one could ascertain the real truth of God’s word from it. You must first learn a dead language which does not convey in today’s language, the Bible‘s truth. Why do you think we have translations? The Bible was not written in archaic English, but the “KJV only” crowd seems to believe it was.

There is no “hell of eternal torment” because the Catholic church made that up, actually adopting the notion from the pagan Greeks.…and people like you gobble up that ghastly scenario with apparent glee……what kind of ghoulish god do you worship? If God “takes no delight even in the death of the wicked”, why would he want to torture them forever?
What does it accomplish? Please tell me, because God certainly doesn’t.

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Of course you do. I'm not surprised.
I'm not afraid to ask difficult questions. It seems that you were trained to not question anything, right?

/
You're not just asking questions you're calling God of the Bible a murderer. Have you ever read the Bible? Do you just pick the parts you like?

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My JW Bible is the same as any other modern translation, only its more accurate IMO.
It’s not the only one I use BTW.

What does my Bible say that yours does not?

You do understand that this is a parable and that taking it literally makes it complete nonsense.

Look what you highlighted that appears to agree with your errors…..but it just shows that you have never done a lick of decent Bible study in your life, chained to an archaic relic of the past that is so innaccurate that no one could ascertain the real truth of God’s word from it. You must first learn a dead language which does not convey in today’s language, the Bible‘s truth. Why do you think we have translations? The Bible was not written in archaic English, but the “KJV only” crowd seems to believe it was.

There is no “hell of eternal torment” because the Catholic church made that up, actually adopting the notion from the pagan Greeks.…and people like you gobble up that ghastly scenario with apparent glee……what kind of ghoulish god do you worship? If God “takes no delight even in the death of the wicked”, why would he want to torture them forever?
What does it accomplish? Please tell me, because God certainly doesn’t.
Luke 16 does not say nor imply a parable. It is literal Biblical people. It is literal.

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You're not just asking questions you're calling God of the Bible a murderer. Have you ever read the Bible? Do you just pick the parts you like?
I'm question the god that the church has presented us with.
An angry cosmic tyrant. You have given that caricature of a god cart blanche.
Matters not what it does. Is that the true loving God? Doubtful.

/

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm question the god that the church has presented us with.
No, you're ATTACKING God of the Bible! Pity you on Judgment Day! But there may be hope for you.

Jude 1:22-23
22 And on some have compassion, making a distinction;
23 but others save with fear, pulling them out of the fire,
An angry cosmic tyrant. You have given that caricature of a god cart blanche.
I quote the Bible. Why does that upset you?
Matters not what it does. Is that the true loving God? Doubtful.
Every Bible I know of says you're WRONG! Several Books in the Bible confirm the Genesis Flood and so does Jesus Himself. Soon you will stand before Jesus Who drowned all but 8 on Earth and burned Sodom alive, including elderly and children. You have a huge problem!

Last edited:

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You clearly reject the Christian Bible. What is your religion?
LOL
Sorry for the misunderstanding.
I consider myself Christian for lack of a better term.

I'm trying to be realistic about what I believe. I don't buy everything the church sold us as "truth".
Especially when it comes to the origins of our Bible. Do you know where it came from?

Majority Text vs. Critical Text vs. Textus Receptus – Textual Criticism 101​

https://www.bereanpatriot.com/majority-text-vs-critical-text-vs-textus-receptus-textual-criticism-101/#Corruption-of-the-Alexandrian-text-type

/

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You clearly reject the Christian Bible. What is your religion?
1704982363685.png
Jude 1:22-23
22 And on some have compassion, making a distinction;
23 but others save with fear, pulling them out of the fire,

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
LOL
Sorry for the misunderstanding.
I consider myself Christian for lack of a better term.
Christians do not reject God of the Bible who burned Sodom alive.
I'm trying to be realistic about what I believe. I don't buy everything the church sold us as "truth".
Especially when it comes to the origins of our Bible. Do you know where it came from?

Majority Text vs. Critical Text vs. Textus Receptus – Textual Criticism 101​

Majority Text vs. Critical Text vs. Textus Receptus - Textual Criticism 101 - Berean Patriot

/
I'm not interested in your opinions, just the Bible.

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do you bow down and worship an idol made of wood products and ink?

/
No, I worship Jesus, God of the Bible Who burned Sodom alive and warned us of "the everlasting fire".

Matthew 25:41-46
41 Then He will also say to those on the left hand, 'Depart from Me, you cursed, into the everlasting fire prepared for the devil and his angels:
46 And these will go away into everlasting punishment, but the righteous into everlasting life."

Whom do you worship? I don't think you have a clue, just like Satan's children marching to Hell.

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Christians do not reject God of the Bible who burned Sodom alive.
This is a rather long, but interesting, citation about the restoration of Sodom and Gomorrah, Ammon and Moab, Elam, Egypt and Edom. The bit about Edom is most interesting. It discusses the use of exaggerated language (to make a point) in biblical literature. Meaning, it is not to be taken literally.

The restoration of Sodom and Gomorrah from "eternal" fire

Jude 1:7
In a similar way, Sodom and Gomorrah and the surrounding towns gave themselves up to sexual immorality and perversion. They serve as an example of those who suffer the punishment of eternal fire.

Zephaniah 2:9
Therefore, as surely as I live,” declares the Lord Almighty, the God of Israel, “surely Moab will become like Sodom, the Ammonites like Gomorrah— a place of weeds and salt pits, a wasteland forever. The remnant of my people will plunder them; the survivors of my nation will inherit their land.”

Ezekiel 16:53
“‘However, I will restore the fortunes of Sodom and her daughters and of Samaria and her daughters, and your fortunes along with them,

The restoration of Ammon and Moab

Therefore, as surely as I live,” declares the Lord Almighty, the God of Israel, “surely Moab will become like Sodom, the Ammonites like Gomorrah— a place of weeds and salt pits, a wasteland forever. The remnant of my people will plunder them; the survivors of my nation will inherit their land.”

Jeremiah 25:21, 27
21 Edom, Moab and Ammon; ...
27 “Then tell them, ‘This is what the Lord Almighty, the God of Israel, says:
Drink, get drunk and vomit, and fall to rise no more because of the sword I will send among you.’

Jeremiah 49:6
“Yet afterward, I will restore the fortunes of the Ammonites,” declares the Lord.

Jeremiah 48:4, 47 4
Moab will be broken; her little ones will cry out.
47 “Yet I will restore the fortunes of Moab in days to come,” declares the Lord. Here ends the judgment on Moab.

The restoration of Elam

Jeremiah 25:25, 27 25
all the kings of Zimri, Elam and Media; ...
27 “Then tell them, ‘This is what the Lord Almighty, the God of Israel, says: Drink, get drunk and vomit, and fall to rise no more because of the sword I will send among you.’

Jeremiah 49:39
“Yet I will restore the fortunes of Elam in days to come,” declares the Lord.

The restoration of Egypt

Jeremiah 25:19, 27
19 Pharaoh king of Egypt, his attendants, his officials and all his people, ...
27 “Then tell them, ‘This is what the Lord Almighty, the God of Israel, says: Drink, get drunk and vomit, and fall to rise no more because of the sword I will send among you.’

Ezekiel 29:13-14 “‘
Yet this is what the Sovereign Lord says: At the end of forty years I will gather the Egyptians from the nations where they were scattered. 14 I will bring them back from captivity and return them to Upper Egypt, the land of their ancestry. There they will be a lowly kingdom.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Edom

Edom was an ancient kingdom in Transjordan located between Moab to the northeast, the Arabah to the west and the Arabian Desert to the south and east. Most of its former territory is now divided between Israel and Jordan.

The destruction of Edom uses the same exaggerated language descriptions as hell in the Bible. Yet none of it lasted forever as it clearly says. And you can certainly pass through it today. For this prophecy to be taken literally it would need to be a smoking tar pit today with a bypass to get around it. Compare verse ten below. (Revelation 14:11)

Isaiah 34:8-11 For the Lord has a day of vengeance, a year of retribution, to uphold Zion’s cause. 9 Edom’s streams will be turned into pitch, her dust into burning sulfur; her land will become blazing pitch! 10 It will not be quenched night or day; its smoke will rise forever. From generation to generation it will lie desolate; no one will ever pass through it again. 11 The desert owl and screech owl will possess it; the great owl and the raven will nest there. God will stretch out over Edom the measuring line of chaos and the plumb line of desolation.

/

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That was uncalled for.

/
Actually I think you saying the Genesis Flood and burning of Sodom is false was totally unChristian. You're calling God a liar.

Matthew 24:37-39
37 But as the days of Noah were, so also will the coming of the Son of Man be. 38 For as in the days before the flood, they were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, until the day that Noah entered the ark, 39 and did not know until the flood came and took them all away, so also will the coming of the Son of Man be.

Last edited:

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is a rather long, but interesting, citation about the restoration of Sodom and Gomorrah, Ammon and Moab, Elam, Egypt and Edom. The bit about Edom is most interesting. It discusses the use of exaggerated language (to make a point) in biblical literature. Meaning, it is not to be taken literally.

The restoration of Sodom and Gomorrah from "eternal" fire

Jude 1:7
In a similar way, Sodom and Gomorrah and the surrounding towns gave themselves up to sexual immorality and perversion. They serve as an example of those who suffer the punishment of eternal fire.

Ezekiel 16:53
“‘However, I will restore the fortunes of Sodom and her daughters and of Samaria and her daughters, and your fortunes along with them,

The restoration of Ammon and Moab

Jeremiah 25:21, 27
21 Edom, Moab and Ammon; ...
27 “Then tell them, ‘This is what the Lord Almighty, the God of Israel, says:
Drink, get drunk and vomit, and fall to rise no more because of the sword I will send among you.’

Jeremiah 49:6
“Yet afterward, I will restore the fortunes of the Ammonites,” declares the Lord.

Jeremiah 48:4, 47 4
Moab will be broken; her little ones will cry out.
47 “Yet I will restore the fortunes of Moab in days to come,” declares the Lord. Here ends the judgment on Moab.

The restoration of Elam

Jeremiah 25:25, 27 25
all the kings of Zimri, Elam and Media; ...

Jeremiah 49:39
“Yet I will restore the fortunes of Elam in days to come,” declares the Lord.

The restoration of Egypt

Jeremiah 25:19, 27
19 Pharaoh king of Egypt, his attendants, his officials and all his people, ...

Ezekiel 29:13-14 “‘
Yet this is what the Sovereign Lord says: At the end of forty years I will gather the Egyptians from the nations where they were scattered. 14 I will bring them back from captivity and return them to Upper Egypt, the land of their ancestry. There they will be a lowly kingdom.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Edom

Edom was an ancient kingdom in Transjordan located between Moab to the northeast, the Arabah to the west and the Arabian Desert to the south and east. Most of its former territory is now divided between Israel and Jordan.

The destruction of Edom uses the same exaggerated language descriptions as hell in the Bible. Yet none of it lasted forever as it clearly says. And you can certainly pass through it today. For this prophecy to be taken literally it would need to be a smoking tar pit today with a bypass to get around it. Compare verse ten below. (Revelation 14:11)

Isaiah 34:8-11 For the Lord has a day of vengeance, a year of retribution, to uphold Zion’s cause. 9 Edom’s streams will be turned into pitch, her dust into burning sulfur; her land will become blazing pitch! 10 It will not be quenched night or day; its smoke will rise forever. From generation to generation it will lie desolate; no one will ever pass through it again. 11 The desert owl and screech owl will possess it; the great owl and the raven will nest there. God will stretch out over Edom the measuring line of chaos and the plumb line of desolation.

/
Let's try again:

"Christians do not reject God of the Bible who burned Sodom alive."

Why do you?